• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bebop26

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Good list. I have faith that Viz will make this good. Steven Jay Blum not Kakashi but Zabuza, sounds like a good fit.

I seriously can't wait for September 10 now.
06falcon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
i think its going to be good. though I've never heard of the person doing the voice for hinata. hope she's good. hinata is my favorite character
Satou NHK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I've found a link to an audio demo of Maile Flanagan who will be providing Naruto's voice. Personally, I'm not sure this voice will fit Naruto, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. What do you guys think?

http://www.cedvoices.com/audiofiles/Flanagan_Maile_ani.mp3
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
If she makes it a little deaper, it will work.
ph34rm4573r

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Man.....and I thought my expectations couldn't get any lower for the Naruto dub. I have been a fan since day I discovered the Naruto manga online after it had only been out for two or so weeks. I couldn't wait for the anime. I enjoyed every episode until just recently. The only known voice actor on the list is Steven Blum and he is a villian????? Geez. I'm sorry but any voice actor or actress that is willing to work in Gash......oh i mean Zatch Bell cant be good if they are willing to work on an anime that they even changed the title of. I won't even get started on One Piece the awesome Japanese Pirate show that got so hacked up, censored, and name changes that makes it not even One Piece. I for one will boycott the Naruto dub. It won't be worth the electrons that put the pictures on our tvs. I guess for Naruto anime noobs they will have a blast since they won't know what they are missing when not watching the Japanese subbed version. Plus they all have gotten used to the terrible translation that the english manga has. I hope that for the people, watching the dubs, sake they use the actual name of the ninjtsus.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Narutards, I knew one would wast space posting here soon.

We get uncut and unedited versons of Naruto subtitled in boxsets startin in July of next year.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*
When am I ever going to hear the end of Narutard gibberish? It's getting really annoying and pointless.
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
ph34rm4573r wrote:
The only known voice actor on the list is Steven Blum and he is a villian?????

You obviously don't watch all that much anime if you don't know any of the other actors on that list, a few of them are actually quite well known to quite a few around here

Quote:
Geez. I'm sorry but any voice actor or actress that is willing to work in Gash......oh i mean Zatch Bell can't be good if they are willing to work on an anime that they even changed the title of.

Hey, VAs have to work too, you know. Besides, it's not like changing the name of an anime is something that never happened before, infact it's still rather common place to see titles changed in some way

Quote:
I won't even get started on One Piece the awesome Japanese Pirate show that got so hacked up, censored, and name changes that makes it not even One Piece.

Why does this always get brought up? Viz, the company doing Naruto, had nothing to do with the One Piece dub, that is entirely on 4kids

Quote:
I for one will boycott the Naruto dub. It won't be worth the electrons that put the pictures on our tvs. I guess for Naruto anime noobs they will have a blast since they won't know what they are missing when not watching the Japanese subbed version. Plus they all have gotten used to the terrible translation that the english manga has. I hope that for the people, watching the dubs, sake they use the actual name of the ninjtsus.

That's cool, if you wanna keep watching the subs then go right ahead. Though, I can't see how you can pass judgement on a dub you've never even seen before. I've been watching Naruto since day one, and after seeing the cast list I do plan on rewatching it in English, since it lets me watch it on a TV as opposed to sitting in an uncomfortable chair at my computer.

Again, it's cool if you want to keep with your subs, more power to ya. But, I still say that you should at least give the dub a shot, there's no way it can be all that bad, especially if it's true about the people at Studio Pierrot liking it...
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
Homalef wrote:
I've found a link to an audio demo of Maile Flanagan who will be providing Naruto's voice. Personally, I'm not sure this voice will fit Naruto, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. What do you guys think?

http://www.cedvoices.com/audiofiles/Flanagan_Maile_ani.mp3

Heh, as a Transformers fan that first part made me chuckle.

I dunno, I think she could pull it off with a little work, she does have some range and did do a couple boy voices in those samples.

BTW, I've seen a lot of people lately talking about how Viz must not be trying very hard with their casting because they're using several unknowns in Naruto. On the contrary I believe that this is a sign that Viz is more willing to judge the cast based on how well they fit their roles rather than how many roles they have on their resume.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Narutards, I knew one would wast space posting here soon.

We get uncut and unedited versons of Naruto subtitled in boxsets startin in July of next year.

Wait, I'm confused, were you saying that as if it were a good thing, or a bad thing? July of next year is pretty far away, and so far they're only talking about 13 episodes I think, which is a tenth of the series thus far.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
ph34rm4573r wrote:
The only known voice actor on the list is Steven Blum and he is a villian?????

You obviously don't watch all that much anime if you don't know any of the other actors on that list, a few of them are actually quite well known to quite a few around here

He also must not watch a lot of anime if he's showing surprise at Steven Blum playing a villain. I mean, what exactly were Shishio & Lord Darcia if not antagonists of the dastardly variety? Laughing

Anyway, as for obligatory dub speculation, my only real concern is with name pronounciation. It's kind of a quirk I have, where it kinda bugs me when someone doesn't even try to pronounce something properly, and I find the Naruto (oh, excuse me, NuhROOOOOOdo) fanbase is particularly obnoxious for it, for some reason. I'd hope that the dub would do a better job at getting the names down than about 90% of the fanbase has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:51 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
ph34rm4573r wrote:

I won't even get started on One Piece the awesome Japanese Pirate show that got so hacked up, censored, and name changes that makes it not even One Piece.

Why does this always get brought up? Viz, the company doing Naruto, had nothing to do with the One Piece dub, that is entirely on 4kids

Lets not forget about the other awesome shows they 'adapted' such as Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh...! <bursts into laughter!>

But seriously, I really do hate people who aren't open minded about things.

Last edited by Mad_Triad on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Anyway, as for obligatory dub speculation, my only real concern is with name pronounciation. It's kind of a quirk I have, where it kinda bugs me when someone doesn't even try to pronounce something properly, and I find the Naruto (oh, excuse me, NuhROOOOOOdo) fanbase is particularly obnoxious for it, for some reason. I'd hope that the dub would do a better job at getting the names down than about 90% of the fanbase has.

It was only prenounced that way in the CN trailer right? Anyway, personally I think it won't be that bad. This is quite weird because I introduced a good friend of mine into watching Naruto and he (at first) prenounced it Na-roo-toe, just like in the trailer. And my friend prenounces almost everything right.
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, a Naruto cast finally. First of all, I am quite glad by the fact that an official list has been approved. I think we're all quite tired of those Rachel Lillis as Sakura, and Matt Damon BS, right? Overall, this is great news. Although I'm not sure if Dave can pull off the role as Kakashi, I'm quite used to him playing soft characters like Kaoru from Ai yori Aoshi, but I have faith.

Actually I was quite looking forward to Blum as Kakashi, but I'm guessing any character he's put into, he can pull it off just right. And I pronounced Naruto the way the announcer did when I first saw it, however, I have grown to the original pronunciation of Nah-ru-to. Overall, I can't wait until September 10th, the day of destiny.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
Am I the only Kyo Kara Maoh fan here? With Ron Allen/Kirk Thornton(Adelbert), Doug Erholtz(Conrad), Yuri Lowenthal/Jimmy Benedict(Yuri), & Steve Kramer(Heathcrife), the Naruto cast is going to sound pretty familiar.

No one knows Kirk Thornton? He's in about as much as Steve Blum--Jin/Champloo, Brandon/Gungrave, narrator/Scryed & of course, Hotohori/Fushigi Yugi.

I like this group--they do well with the names(I love the outtakes on Kenshin). Viz ws asked about the pronunciations at comic-con & said they go with what their Japanese parent company says. Don't forget, this isn't really Viz any longer--the little company out of the Bay area is now pretty much the American face of the Japanese parent company--more like Pioneer & Bandai. I don't see them making too many of their own decisions any longer. So if it sounds weird, blame the Japanese for approving the pronunciation. Just because the Japanese VA's say it a certain way--I've noticed the Japanese VA's often say things differently within the same show & just assume it's the different accents or something.

Viz also said they know Naruto is a special title which is why they are releasing the uncut version in special box sets(read soak 'em for what we can) starting in June 2006. That means we'll all be able to hear the entire show eventually(depending on the speed of the release. Ranma was only 1 or 2 sets per year. Vis is notoriously slow. Maybe by the time I retire in 15 yrs we'll have all the InuYasha manga released)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5