• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
BTW, I've seen a lot of people lately talking about how Viz must not be trying very hard with their casting because they're using several unknowns in Naruto. On the contrary I believe that this is a sign that Viz is more willing to judge the cast based on how well they fit their roles rather than how many roles they have on their resume.

Emerje

I also believe I read somewhere that Viz initially had someone else in mind to play Naruto, but Studio Pierrot preferred another choice (Maile Flanagan) and they ended up going with her.

When the Japanese studio says that they prefer some of the English voices to the Japanese ones, the dub certainly looks to be something good.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Emerje wrote:
BTW, I've seen a lot of people lately talking about how Viz must not be trying very hard with their casting because they're using several unknowns in Naruto. On the contrary I believe that this is a sign that Viz is more willing to judge the cast based on how well they fit their roles rather than how many roles they have on their resume.

Emerje

I also believe I read somewhere that Viz initially had someone else in mind to play Naruto, but Studio Pierrot preferred another choice (Maile Flanagan) and they ended up going with her.

When the Japanese studio says that they prefer some of the English voices to the Japanese ones, the dub certainly looks to be something good.

I like it when the Japanese studio picks the voice actors, not that the American studios do a bad job, but I like to see that they are participating in the dubbed version. I haven't heard of Maile Flanagan, but she looks capable enought to play Naruto. (I obviously have just recently heard of the voice actor cast change.) I also wasn't expecting Steven Blum to play Zabuza, as I thought Kakashi was a good role for him. I'm afraid the only bit I've heard of the other guy is his role as Sora from .hack//SIGN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silverwings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
No one knows Kirk Thornton? He's in about as much as Steve Blum--Jin/Champloo, Brandon/Gungrave, narrator/Scryed & of course, Hotohori/Fushigi Yugi.

He was Jin? Okay... now I'm seeing Kakashi, if just a bit. Very Happy

And I'll have to pop in my FY dvds. Couldn't get past Miaka's english va to listen to the rest of the cast..
ananda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
First I was very excited to learn that they brought back Yuri Lowenthal to voice the Prince in POP3, and now I've just discovered that he will be voicing the character Sasuke in "Naruto".

Great News indeed!!! Very Happy
ph34rm4573r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I could say I have never heard any of these voices from voice actors and actresses due to I have seen most of the animes airing on TV in there subbed version so I don't spend much time watching Cartoon Network to see the dubbed. Plus for me watching the subbed is just like watching the dubbed since I could watch either of them on a 32" tv. If I come around to checking out Naruto dubs I hope they get pronounciation correct and they better leave the OP and ED untouched unlike Fullmetal Alchemist.

Last edited by ph34rm4573r on Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
ph34rm4573r wrote:
silverwings wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
No one knows Kirk Thornton? He's in about as much as Steve Blum--Jin/Champloo, Brandon/Gungrave, narrator/Scryed & of course, Hotohori/Fushigi Yugi.

He was Jin? Okay... now I'm seeing Kakashi, if just a bit. Very Happy

And I'll have to pop in my FY dvds. Couldn't get past Miaka's english va to listen to the rest of the cast..

Blum was not Jin!!!!!! Blum played Mugen in Samurai Champloo.

You're misunderstanding them. They're talking about Thornton who played Jin, not Blum.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tobiasender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
i'll say this much.

I hope Hinata sounds fantastic
Kakashi i'm not worried bout if he's the same VA as Mugen

IF she can pull of high pitched, energetic, number one loud, 12 year old ninja, thank GOD for her.

It does seem they are trying.
but trying isn't good enough.

I'm not worried about the ones other then naruto, hinata, sakura, and ino.

girls va's are normally very very very similar.
they sound a like far to often.
kind of like when va's do bad foerign accents.

and well, naruto is someone hard to forget-dattebayo.
Ms. F will have to pull something wonderful out of her ...throat.

plus, HAVE you heard, the commercial

you only hear one word
and i didn't hear it clearly
but i'm afraid.

speaking of dattebayo
you think they will leave that in, they better...or else...i'll sit and pout.
Sourdough_AK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:36 am Reply with quote
I believe Kirk Thorton also did Saitou Hajime under the name of Sparky Thorton as well in Rurouni Kenshin TV. Personally, from what I heard in his bit role in the the third Tenchi Muyo OAV I think he's a perfect fit for Tazuna.

In all honesty, I've never heard of half of these people, but I'm willing to give the dub a chance seeing as how some of the voices have been casted. Steve Kramer might be odd to listen to, as the only form I've really heard his voice in is as Terry Sanders in Gundam 08th MS Team and various VERY minor characters in numerous shows, and if Dave Wittenberg plays Kakashi as well as he does Saito in GitS:SAC, I think he'll turn out great. Yuri Lowenthal did his role justice in PoP, so I'm looking forward to seeing how well he pulls off a younger sounding voice, and as for Quinton Flynn as Iruka, one of my favorite characters... well, I imagined that voice attatched to the character, and it kinda stuck, so I think it will work.

I have to deviate with most people with Steven Blum as Zabuza. I agree that he has the talent to pull off the role well, and I look forward to hearing his voice, but Zabuza is such a deeply voiced character. I felt that someone like Jamieson Price (Rabat from Vandread) would have fit him better.

I hope we get a bigger cast list in the near future. I'm itching to see who else they casted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote
ph34rm4573r wrote:
Plus for me watching the subbed is just like watching the dubbed since I could watch either of them on a 32" tv. If I come around to checking out Naruto dubs I hope they get pronounciation correct and they better leave the OP and ED untouched unlike Fullmetal Alchemist.

Your first comment is wierd. By your logic, watching James Bond is the same as watching an anime because you can watch both on a 32" TV. Seriously, that makes no sense.

Also, the broadcast version of Naruto will have a Toonami-style intro and probably a shortened closing. The uncut DVDs (possible the edited ones too) will have the OP and ED intact.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Meanwhile, am I the only one excited to see the lovely and talented Stephanie Sheh as Hinata?

You're not the only one. I'm interested in hearing her in Naruto too.

That said (and I won't out any names as I don't think it's appropriate), a lot of her anime voice work has been done under alia... er... "soundalikes", so I don't think many fans would know about her, at least as far as anime voice acting roles goes.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
My daughter's already wondering who'll play Orochimaru or Gaara, etc. I pointed out we have several West Coast regulars unaccounted for-Richard Hayworth, Johnny Yong Bosch, Tony Oliver, Ian Hawk, Mona Marshall, Wendee Lee, Michael McConnohie, John Smallberries, Beau Billingslea to name a few.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
My daughter's already wondering who'll play Orochimaru or Gaara, etc. I pointed out we have several West Coast regulars unaccounted for-Richard Hayworth, Johnny Yong Bosch, Tony Oliver, Ian Hawk, Mona Marshall, Wendee Lee, Michael McConnohie, John Smallberries, Beau Billingslea to name a few.

I'm hoping Barbara Goodson and Kari Wahlgren will end up popping up somewhere in the series. One of the ADR directors is the guy who directed FLCL, so there might be a chance of it. :)
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm seriously hoping that Melissa Fahn gets in as well. I could easily see her doing the voice for Temari. If she does get in, then I am definitly going to watch the dub.

This dub is starting to get better by the minute. Of course I had a feeling that the Naruto dub might turn out fine when Viz liscenced it and I soon realized afterwards that the dub for Zatch Bell used a cast that the Ocean Group, who dubs a large majority of Viz's licenses, wouldn't use. Granted the Zatch Bell dub wasn't that great but it is Studiopolis's first time and it was a hell of a lot better than 4Kids's dub of One Piece.
Dachande

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The one character I'm waiting for a voice for is Rock Lee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:24 am Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
Granted the Zatch Bell dub wasn't that great but it is Studiopolis's first time and it was a hell of a lot better than 4Kids's dub of One Piece.

Actually, Studiopolis has done other dubs before. Tokyopop used them extensively for shows like "GTO", "Brigadoon", "Initial D", and "Reign: The Conqueror".

The quality of a dub should be partially put on the shoulders of the ADR director, and the "Zatch Bell" dub's ADR director is Jeff Nimoy, who was responsible for much of the voice direction in the various "Digimon" series. Nimoy also had a hand in adapting the script for "Zatch Bell".

Luckily, "Naruto" has Marc Handler as the ADR director, and all signs indicate it'll be more "FLCL" quality than "Rave Master". Now if Steve Blum produces a quality script and the music production team keeps their promise of using the original music, the "Naruto" dub should definitely be one to look forward to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5