• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Zealand Man Jailed for Possessing Hentai Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
I guess that this means that they'll never publish Berserk in New Zealand.

Too much pixie and troll violence.

Berserk is fine to purchase there though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:

Just playing the devil's advocate here, but I don't know how reliable Japan's crime statistics are. The impression I get is that Japan's crime stats are low because the police don't bother trying to prosecute unless they have a strong case,

Well, different standards. Japan has about 98% conviction rate. Even though developed nations' conviction rates are around 90%, Japan's still unusually high. So J-prosecutors have to live up to that high 98% standard; otherwise, they'd be seen as inferior to their peers and risk losing their jobs.

Also, some child "abuses" that are legal in Japan may be considered illegal in New Zealand. Japan is more open to slapping kids and corporal punishments, so many of those don't normally get into the reports, while in NZ those may.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, different standards. Japan has about 98% conviction rate. Even though developed nations' conviction rates are around 90%, Japan's still unusually high. So J-prosecutors have to live up to that high 98% standard; otherwise, they'd be seen as inferior to their peers and risk losing their jobs.

Japanese police can hold people without charge for weeks and with limited access to lawyers. This inhumane treatment results in a huge number of false confessions. That's why their conviction rate is so high.

enurtsol wrote:
Also, some child "abuses" that are legal in Japan may be considered illegal in New Zealand. Japan is more open to slapping kids and corporal punishments, so many of those don't normally get into the reports, while in NZ those may.

In New Zealand it's a crime to hit your kids, even for disciplinary reasons, but police can and do exercise their judgement in deciding whether to prosecute. If it's a simple open-handed smack round the bottom for naughty behaviour then that's fine, but actual violence towards a child is going to get you in jail.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
So, is it anything similar to Bandage Fairies?

Quote:
The man has previous convictions for assaulting a teenage boy...

Confused That's not going to go over well.
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote
yay, another one of these cases. And that comic thing being shut down, WTF world?
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:

Quote:
"Bell also commented that animated depictions of child abuse are a "huge" problem in Japan"

These are looked down on in Japan as well. Do your research first.

Is it really though? while i doesn't really bother me when it comes to anime etc but I've watched 100's of Harem anime's over the years and there is 90% of the time at least 1 loli character that ends up getting in dodgy situations with the main character.

My experience with Hentai and VN's is much more limited but the few that I've watched/played have most of the time gone that way with again at least one character and of course they go alot futhur then a mainstream anime show.

Heck two of the biggest selling anime of the last year Nisemonogatari and ToLoveRu Darkness both have questionable content and ToLoveRu could even lean towards incest aswell considering some of the situations they get in.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:

Quote:
"Bell also commented that animated depictions of child abuse are a "huge" problem in Japan"

These are looked down on in Japan as well. Do your research first.

Being frowned upon--at least in public--is very different than treating it as a "problem" that needs to be tackled, as in eradicated or criminalized like he implies.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
So, is it anything similar to Bandage Fairies?
No nothing like Bandage Fairies, more like Bondage Fairies.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Fortunately that misunderstanding was quickly spoiler[wrapped up.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The worst part to me is that it isn't even the images themselves that are deemed illegal, but rather what they MIGHT lead someone to do. I don't know if there is any clearer example of thought policing than this case. Buying a set of knives MIGHT lead to me using them for violence, but it's far more likely that I'll just use them to cut food. There is always the chance somebody might do something, but without any actual evidence that it will happen, you're just punishing people based on guess work. I'd really like to know what sort of data the people who drafted this law were using in order to think this was a good idea. Bell's quote highlights just how stupid this is. "Nobody was actually hurt, but we're going to punish you anyway because we simply don't like it." Good one. Rolling Eyes

+1 to those thoughts. Until someone actually acts, it's just another thought crime. Drawings do not exploit anyone.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Really think the U.S. should issue travel advisories for travel to Australia, New Zealand, and Canada warning against bringing in magazines, books, videos, and related material on media and storage devices.

Or just an outright ban on bringing magazines, books, and any type of media and storage device (laptops, smart phones, USB drives, etc) to Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Really think the U.S. should issue travel advisories for travel to Australia, New Zealand, and Canada warning against bringing in magazines, books, videos, and related material on media and storage devices.

Or just an outright ban on bringing magazines, books, and any type of media and storage device (laptops, smart phones, USB drives, etc) to Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Or simply a sign that says "Leave your dirty thoughts in the departure lounge"

Next thing you know you'll be getting put in jail for having seen the movie "sleepers"
diemeow23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
This is just ridiculous. Another guy sent to jail for looking at crazy hentai for silly fun.

I have very mixed views on the whole manga/anime censorship matter, on one hand im disgusted by lolicon, how alot of our fandom deem it as acceptable and how it has grown so much that there is now a market in japan for it, but sending a guy to jail and putting him on the sex offenders register for looking at a cartoon....wit.

We should be putting more pressure on the distribution and sale of this filth in the japan(i actually approved of the recent regulation on manga and anime, it cleaned yaoi right up) yes, but not randomly sending people to jail for looking at sum cartoon pixies and trolls gein at it[/quote]

I am sorry but I myself am an avarage fan of almost every genre including Loli and Yaoi, but your post screams that you wish loli or yaoi works to be abolished not because they pose a threat but because you dislike them, I have viewed such material for over a decade now and I don't see myself going homo or raping children, by your possible logic we might as well abolish every game, movie, or literary work that involves killing/sex because it encourages something negative one way or another or you just happen to hate Lolicon and Yaoi that automatically qualifies it for abolishment, I'm sorry but your no different than the people that judged suspect in the suspect in the first place. People who wish to prosecute someone for liking something they don't like, heck you should just punch every person who has a face you don't like
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
Why do we need to know this?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Why do we need to know this?

You might not need to know, but as a New Zealander I'm certainly interested in this news and glad it was reported.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6