• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: White Pirates, Black Pirates?

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote

Anime smallmouth;

If you take a look at the pictures, the reason is actually kinda obvious (but pure conjecture on my part).

There's a whole stigma about the "Black People with Big Lips" thing. Such portrayals are often considered racist, and I guess 4Kids didn't want any angry letters about that.

Instead people think they're racist because they got rid of a black pirate.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
I knew about this. Didn't 4kids get in trouble before because of Jinx in Pokemon? I heard some mom compained about how it made fun of black people. If it was true, I wouldn't be surprised that 4kids did this.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
What's going on with 4Kids? Are they so afraid that all of the white/caucasian anime fans going to arm themselves and go out and cause a riit if they see a black pirate?

If this isn't a case of racial disharmony at 4Kids, then I don't know what is.
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I knew about this. Didn't 4kids get in trouble before because of Jinx in Pokemon? I heard some mom compained about how it made fun of black people. If it was true, I wouldn't be surprised that 4kids did this.

Actually it was one woman who complained. Which is kind of sad, one person can get an entire episode banned and get someone's skin color changed to prevent another complaint. Don't these people have more to worry about? Question
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Well, the whole black people with big lips thing is considered racist now. Some old cartoons like Popeye and Looney Toons had those type of things and I don't think they're shown on TV anymore.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
You see, this is the kind of stuff in the One Piece dub that people tend to overlook because they're too busy complaining about Sanji's cigarette. That and, ya know, editing seven episodes into one.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Anime smallmouth;

If you take a look at the pictures, the reason is actually kinda obvious (but pure conjecture on my part).

There's a whole stigma about the "Black People with Big Lips" thing. Such portrayals are often considered racist, and I guess 4Kids didn't want any angry letters about that.

Instead people think they're racist because they got rid of a black pirate.

-t

My question as to their reason for doing it still stands. We know, it could've been purely for 2 reasons: Racism or fear of being pointed out as racist (most likely the latter). Even though I hate their guts, I give them the benefit of the doubt on this one (they really don't want to give me another reason to push their end), but I want to believe it was the other reason for obvious reasons. My views aside, I still think that it was the dumbest edited ever in R1-land.

After reading about the recent Black Samba (spelling?) publishing situation, it almost makes me wonder if the Japanese are just racist altogether. That, I'd hate, as I respect them too much already.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Kurious: Not racist, but xenophobic. And in denial about their genocidal hate crimes.
E_X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145
<-- good portrayal of what 4Kids does to anime

Japanese may be lots of thing but racists is hardly one of them. It actually didn't cross my mind at all that that black pirate was being an insult to black people at all, he's just....a random pirate that happens to be black. Sometimes i think americans are way too paranoid on things....and soccer moms that complain over the most insignificant things the show on (butchered) anime will always be reatarded.
antonmonter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Classic old-school USA racism. Now I wonder, what actual REAL black people with big lips are supposed to do with their faces? Get a plastic surgery? (Because now, they are considered a racial stereotype) It’s the same s|-|17 as in the so-called “Memin gate” (the hypocrite controversy promoted by the USA goverment about some Mexican postal stamps).

About the other post, yes some Japanese people are racist, but they don’t try to disguise it with a discourse that it’s politically correct (and neither they try to “correct” the alleged racism in other countries) .
VOX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll give 4kids the benefit of the doubt on this one too. I remember when some parents were complaining that the way Mr. Popo from DBZ looked was racist so I'm sure they were trying to avoid complaints (from parents at least). What's really offensive is the American theme song they made for One Piece. I thought the DBGT theme was as bad as it gets and then this crap comes along. Holy S@#t!

Ya Yooo Yippy Ya Ya Yooo Oh Oooooh!

Sweet Lord.
Demaar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Pffft. Racial stereotypes are perpetuated to a greater degree in other areas of entertainment and are left untouched.
Also, yeah, the thought didn't even cross my mind when I saw the episode that it was racist or funny or anything. I just saw another character with a weird design in a weird animation.

You know, nine times out of ten, when I see someone making a stink about racism, they're white. It's like they have a guilty conscience or something. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar case to homophobia: People screaming "OMG YOU ARE RACIST" are probably racist themselves. Just like homophobes bash homosexuals because they probably have homosexual tendencies themselves. Ok, maybe not... but it still makes you wonder.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess it was a case of "dammed if they do, dammed if they don't."
MibuKotaro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay I don't understand this though why did 4Kids decide this one black character was racist but the one in Shaman King isn't. like really they look pretty identical. Anyway as someone else mentioned its not intended to offend its just another wierd character that has come from the wonders of anime. Seriously if someone wants to get offended over this then next thing someone will sue ADV for Excel being blonde and pushing the dumb blonde stereotype.
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
It's like the argument that was used about obscenity. "Those who think it's sexually perverted probably have perverted minds to begin with."

The number one thing that just popped in my mind about this edit is Micheal Jackson. Anime hyper (I'm so mean.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11