• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime/Manga/Game Events Cancelled After March 11 Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
TV Asahi has a stream of their news coverage:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/annnews

NHK also:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-gtv2

NHK World Stream:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/
Demonic+Elemental

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
This is very depressing and devastating news to hear...I saw the video clips of the tsunami and earthquake in Japan at work earlier today on CNN and I was in utter shock. Just finished seeing the report on NBC and reading any reports I could find online; the damage was too much. I'm not going to sleep well at all tonight after today.

Japan is far away for me to be there to help, so I hope and pray that my small contribution to Red Cross would somehow reach and make a difference in helping the citizens of Japan back on their feet. Still, I feel very useless for not doing anything to help. Sad

I pray that any missing survivors are recovered, and for those who have lost their lives in this horrific aftermath, may your souls rest in peace.
isoge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
These news made my day horrible... All day long, all I could do was hope that my sister who works there was fine, even to the point where I had to leave work early just because I couldn't focus Sad

Donated to the red cross, so hoping that Japan accepts foreign help so that my money can make a difference, or hope that it can help people in some other country affected by the quakes, and I hope that no more lives will be lost...
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible. Sad

I'm going to send a donation soon, I hope it will help the survivors at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Right now, the coastal towns of Tomioka, Ookuma, and Futaba have been evacuated due to nuclear emergency. The two power plants there provide power to most of Tokyo, and they can't get their cooling tanks under control. They have started venting radioactive gas into the air in order to keep the pressure from building up too much.

Again, if you are the praying type, pray! Pray that we get a wind that will blow this gas over the ocean, and not into the mountains, where it could be trapped in valleys for who knows how long.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
My heart and prayers go out to the families in Japan that have lost or are missing family members, those who are displaced by this horrible event, I was restless all last night and could not sleep with feelings of something not right and I woke to see this. This has really broke my heart but did here a few friends that have family over there have survived.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Right now, the coastal towns of Tomioka, Ookuma, and Futaba have been evacuated due to nuclear emergency. The two power plants there provide power to most of Tokyo, and they can't get their cooling tanks under control. They have started venting radioactive gas into the air in order to keep the pressure from building up too much.

Again, if you are the praying type, pray! Pray that we get a wind that will blow this gas over the ocean, and not into the mountains, where it
could be trapped in valleys for who knows how long.

I definetly will.
midnightshinigami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

Again, if you are the praying type, pray! Pray that we get a wind that will blow this gas over the ocean, and not into the mountains, where it could be trapped in valleys for who knows how long.

It's getting worse. According to NHK World, there was an explosion at the Fukushima rector No. 1 that has collapsed one of the walls at the plant. They are advising the people in the surrounding area to cover their mouths with wet cloth when outside and to wash their bodies and clothes when they enter their homes. They are not to eat or drink water or fresh foods in case of radiation.

The radiation amount surrounding the plant is high, where exposure for an hour will be the amount that most people experience in one year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote
I probably know about 100 people who live within two miles of that plant, because I myself lived there until late 2009. I am still waiting to hear back from them. There are a LOT of elderly people there. I am almost shaking with nervousness.
RaZoR No1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
it´s even getting worse because of the reactors...

man i hope the count of how many people died won´t rise too much...

and of course I´m hoping that the reactor won´t make any damage/big damage

I want to donate too if I can to help them
Katane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
That plant exploded? But Yesterday from what I was watching they said they had it under control! WTF My god now I'm even more worried than I was before!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
According to the U.S. Geological Survey the earthquake appears to have moved the main island 2.4 meters (8 ft). The quake occurred as the earth's crust ruptured along an area about 400 kilometers (250 miles) long by 160 kilometers (100 miles) wide, as tectonic plates slipped more than 18 meters (29 feet). It also appears that the earth's axis shifted about 10 cm (10 in).

That's a tremendous amount of energy that was released in a couple of minutes. It's a testament to Japanese earthquake awareness and planning that the entire country wasn't flattened. The tsunami, however, is a different matter. There's really nothing you can do when that much water is coming at you.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
Katane wrote:
That plant exploded? But Yesterday from what I was watching they said they had it under control! WTF My god now I'm even more worried than I was before!
Japanese Nuclear Agency says it was the outer shell that exploded, speculation was steam built up in the dormant cooling pipes finally letting loose. The reactor containment shell is "undamaged and holding" however that steam was radioactive and three of the four injured workers involved in that explosion have been exposed to "low doses" of radiation. Still not another Chernobyl yet, but I wouldn't want to be there.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Another event like Chernobyl seems pretty unlikely, the reactor designs are radically different, but if they don't get it cooled down soon it could still get pretty ugly. It'll probably look more like Three Mile Island. It looks like it's going to be classified as the third worst accident in the history of nuclear power. They are apparently flooding the containment vessel with sea water in an effort to cool it down quickly. It sounds like a last ditch effort so here's hoping it works.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
"Cancelled" is not a word you should be using here. Most of these are simply postponed. Cancelled which mean it's never gonna happen, while postponed means it will happen, but at a different date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8