• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime/Manga/Game Events Cancelled After March 11 Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dollssoulkirie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote
Square Enix just shut down FFXI and FFXIV till further notice. So that's another MMO down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
M.A.D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
Some authors are confirmed alive but not showing on the updated list:

Hata Kenjiro (Hayate no Gotoku) - http://twitter.com/hatakenjiro

Yamaguchi Noboru (Zero no Tsukaima light novel) - http://twitter.com/hexagonzero

Wakaki Tamiki (Kami nomi zo shiru sekai) - http://twitter.com/kaminomi_jp

I'm not particularly sure about Wakaki because I can't read Japanese and his twitter doesn't look like it has his name on it
M.A.D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
Some authors are confirmed alive but not showing on the updated list:

Hata Kenjirou

Yamaguchi Noboru

Wakaki Tamiki
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
dollssoulkirie wrote:
FFXIV till further notice. So that's another MMO down.

Oh, I'm sure Squeenix is looking for any excuse to take FFXIV down. Laughing
avenebula

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
pray for japan, it's really make me nostalgic when i hear this news
it's like the tsunami in aceh :'( so sad
hope japan can restore as fast as possible
hello256

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
is hiro mashima and his family alive ?
Kuro666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
Can't really do anything for them but donate to the Red Cross. I hope, and I pray to the gods everything will be alright.
Zeronight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
Why Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish this doesn't mess up the anime and manga, and I prey for the Japanese to fine and recover early.
vorenak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Zeronight wrote:
Why Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish this doesn't mess up the anime and manga, and I prey for the Japanese to fine and recover early.

i bet the guys that made tokyo magnitude 8.0 are feeling pretty shitty right about now
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
if you haven't noticed yet the majority of the damage has affected the low lying regions mostly farming lands have been completely wiped out.

the immediate impact of losing so much of the countries food production won't be felt for a few months while they get aid from outside japan but it might take years for the country to recover most of that production and land if anyone actually wants to do the insane amount of work needed to get the farms going again.don't forget the majority of the victims of the tsunami are the very people who were most dedicated to the very land that was lost. the villages and regions with all the farms were already on the brink of collapse as the young moved away to the cities for more profitable work losing the people who stayed on the farms may very well be the straw that broke the camels back.

the other industry that will have a huge impact on Japan is Fishing with countless fishing boats sunk swept inland or otherwise disabled will cut off a huge amount of fresh food for the cities and the impact of this will be felt very quickly not to mention how the tsunami has altered the fish patterns in the region for the foreseeable future making it harder for the existing fleets to pick up the slack.

the immediate damages however great will be only the tip of the iceberg for japans problems over the next few years.
mayo160

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]i bet the guys that made tokyo magnitude 8.0 are feeling pretty shitty right about now[/quote]

well, they did make the anime after the massive disasters of 1995, 1948 (twice), 1946, 1945, 1943 (regardless of your views on japan's part in WW2, you gotta admit that they were pretty badass to be fighting 2 fronts at once while going through some major domestic shit like that over the half-decade), 1933, 1927, 1923, 1891, 1855, 1854 (twice again), 177, 1703, 1293....................... damn, they make my native bangladesh with its annual floods and tropical storms and cyclones seem like a veritable paradise....
but what i wanted to say was, not having seen the series yet, is that it's probably a way of dealing with and/or acknowledging something horrifying which is nonetheless deeply a part of the japanese civilizational/national consciousness. looking at the mid-blowing scale of the havoc over the last couple of centuries, i doubt there's any family in japan unaffected by an earthquake.

the really worrying things would have to be the nuke reactors and soil salinity in the affected areas, not to mention the effect on the 200%-GDP national debt and the deflating economy with the still-strong yen
kurea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone been able to find anything about Houko Kuwashima, she is from Iwate which was badly affected. Crying or Very sad This is so awful i feel sick thinking about this tragedy.
Edenknight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone got any word from Kentaro Miura (Berserk creator) or Shinkai Makato (5cm per Second creator) ???? I couldn't find their names on the list and still worried Sad I'm doing what I could from my country yet the aftermath of the events are terribly great...
hhv94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone hears or sees something about Kishimoto? I do not see him on the list.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
To check the status of mangaka and other artists, maybe this thread is better: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=170358&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=765
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8