• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny This Fall / Winter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
The first half of ZZ was so bad I don't think anything could have redeemed it, even if you consider that the second half was rewritten as a prelude for Char's Counter Attack. The chicken on top of Brights head was pretty much an insult to the first two series. I guess I'm extremely prejudice against ZZ, maybe I should try to hate Destiny with a more open mind Laughing

If people want to only look at the fact that Gundam X was ended early then they should also consider that the original Mobile Suit Gundam also got the hook.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
The first half of ZZ was so bad I don't think anything could have redeemed it, even if you consider that the second half was rewritten as a prelude for Char's Counter Attack. The chicken on top of Brights head was pretty much an insult to the first two series. I guess I'm extremely prejudice against ZZ, maybe I should try to hate Destiny with a more open mind Laughing

I would still, however, consider SEED Destiny's constant story rewrites, frequent changing of characters' personalities (love how Lunamaria Hawke went from spoiler[capable spy] to spoiler[brainwashed ditz] in all of 30 seconds), literally dozens of dropped subplots, even more unanswered questions from the first SEED (that producers even stated would be answered, gee, whatever happened with that?), horrific plot pacing (even official episode summaries for the third to last episode are nowhere near any sort of resolution forming!), a mindless redundancy to go right along with that plot pacing (just how many times did we need to see spoiler[Freedom break up a ZAFT/EAF battle,] or get beat over the head with spoiler["O HAYYYY GGUESS WHUT GUYZ ORB R BAD NOW K!?!?!?!?"]), excessive pandering to fans, and lack of faith with the new cast & subsequent over-use of the old so much worse than just about any of Double Zeta's lame slapstick. Really, the series is just that bad in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:

1.) ZZ Gundam is by far the worst ever... the first half of the series is unwatchable. UC elitism aside... this was just stupid. Even the theme song, "Anime Ja Nai" is worse than GSD's "Wings Of Words."

I love Wings of Words, i just wish it was attached to a better Gundam series..

I will watch seed destiny all the way thru, but untill recently (around the time Wings of Words was introduced Very Happy ) there has not been much other than loyalty keeping me watching, wavering loyalty at that....

What i love about WoW is that i kind of get the feel that these guys watched Zeta Gundam, not only because of the obvious melodic reference at the beginning to the original Zeta ED, there is something else as well.
Almost like they sat down and said: Hmm, lets make a new theme to Zeta.

Just noticed that i am comparing S Destiny with Zeta.
Is that fair to SD?

Well, since the writers decided to borrow heavily from Zeta in terms of Mecha and other stuff, i suppose SD can't escape being set up against said superior series...
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, is Destiny really that bad? I mean, I heard about the constant plot changing, subplots dropped, and the constantly changing lead character, but this just sounds awful. Any hope I once had for this series is slowly fading, though I may still check it out when it hits the states, just as a SEED fan...

Just on a bit of an off note, Nagisa, would you recommend watching Gundam X? I'm assuimng you will, but I'd like to know for sure before I commit myself to another series
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
I'm a Gundam SEED/Destiny fan, and I've been dissapointed with the way things are going. Problems with the first series aside, Destiny started out pretty good, but around episode 30 or so, things began to go downhill. Things started to look up a few times, but then Fukuda/Bandai has to go and screw things up more. I'll still get the DVDs when they come out, but this series has a number of problems, and they keep getting worse.

@ Nionel: Gundam X is the best AU series. Go watch it. The pacing is poor at the end because the series was canceled and they had to fit an ending into several episodes, but otherwise it's great.
Nionel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Hitokiri, I think I'll look into Gundam X as soon as I get the chance

I'll also end buying the Destiny DVDs, just since I love adding my Gundam stuff to my DVD collection
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
Just on a bit of an off note, Nagisa, would you recommend watching Gundam X? I'm assuimng you will, but I'd like to know for sure before I commit myself to another series

I'd definitely recommend Gundam X, yes. If you ask me, it's one of the most underrated Gundam titles out there (probably moreso than Turn-A or G), and is a refreshing change of pace from the norm if not for the main protagonist alone. Gotta love when Gundam takes that rare occasion not to resort to an over-angsty lead, and opts instead for a more likable main character like Garrod. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

CN should re-air and promote heavily the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It's a classic, and everyone should see it.

They won't. They tried it twice and it failed because people said "Old animation=bad show," which is completely wrong. They tried blaming the first cancellation on 9-11, but it then failed again on Adult Swim. People these days are so spoiled by CG animation, panties and cliches, it's terrible.

Also, I wouldn't mind Bandai licensing ZZ and V Gundam. I've read episode summaries of ZZ, so I know that it's pretty bad at first, but it does improve, and I'm a completist. I just hope they have the good sense not to make the same mistakes they did with Zeta's boxset release. And V Gundam is supposedly very good, so I'd like to see that, too.

Excuse me, but Bandai did not make any mistake's with Zeta's release. If you're complaining about it being limited edition, that's because they were aiming it at the Gundam crowd, not the general anime fans. After seeing the "success" of 0079 on CN, they realized that most anime fans won't buy a series from 1985 because it has no panties, magical girls or "kewl" 3D effects. If you weren't able to get one, that's your own fault, not Bandai's. They were right in what they did.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I found that the older shows had more panties than the newer ones.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Excuse me, but Bandai did not make any mistake's with Zeta's release. If you're complaining about it being limited edition, that's because they were aiming it at the Gundam crowd, not the general anime fans. After seeing the "success" of 0079 on CN, they realized that most anime fans won't buy a series from 1985 because it has no panties, magical girls or "kewl" 3D effects. If you weren't able to get one, that's your own fault, not Bandai's. They were right in what they did.

Or I might be talking about the "dubtitles", the lack of the OP and ED themes, and the pencil sharpner extras (which, okay, are kinda neat, I guess). I could also be talking about all the delays in the release of said boxset.

Not that I don't enjoy my boxset, but there were mistakes, and there's no use blaming them on the fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I would still, however, consider SEED Destiny's constant story rewrites, frequent changing of characters' personalities (love how Lunamaria Hawke went from capable spy to brainwashed ditz in all of 30 seconds), literally dozens of dropped subplots, even more unanswered questions from the first SEED (that producers even stated would be answered, gee, whatever happened with that?), horrific plot pacing (even official episode summaries for the third to last episode are nowhere near any sort of resolution forming!), a mindless redundancy to go right along with that plot pacing (just how many times did we need to see Freedom break up a ZAFT/EAF battle, or get beat over the head with "O HAYYYY GGUESS WHUT GUYZ ORB R BAD NOW K!?!?!?!?"), excessive pandering to fans, and lack of faith with the new cast & subsequent over-use of the old so much worse than just about any of Double Zeta's lame slapstick. Really, the series is just that bad in my opinion.

GSDestiny did start out good...

However, it was just like Nagisa said. I'll also add that Fukuda's reliance on the old Seed cast (including the re-appearance of Kira "Jesus" Yamato and pop-star-cannon-fodder TM Revolution) is one of the main nails that managed to shut the coffin tight for him and Bandai.

Fukuda said that he wants his Gundam series to be like the UC back then. This poor guy failed miserably. Even Tomino knew what he was doing somewhat. Let's take Zeta Gundam for example:

Amuro didn't dominate the series when the spotlight was on him. Everyone knew that it's Camille's show. Char (who's Quattro then Razz ) played some sort of mentor to Camille. There were 4 types of Gundams herein, with the rest of the MS looking somewhat spiffy; not +10 like Destiny. And for the record, it was only Bright, Mirai, Frau, Hayato, the three orphans, Kai, and Minerva that reappeared. And even then it was only Bright and Katz that joined Camille and Quattro.

No matter what happens, GS Destiny broke too many laws. I doubt it would succeed in R1.

ZZ Gundam was also in need of some more work in the plot department. But I know of shows that are much worse.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Yay! The Worst Gundam Series was also the one to have its English Dub acquired in the shortest amount of time.

At least after this it can only get better: marginally with Double Zeta and Victory is a little more than that. I'd be dreaming if X or got Licensed though.

Pepperidge wrote:
I hope this means we might see a broadcast on YTV by the end of the year.

And kill Gundam on that Network too?

Nagisa wrote:
Note to Bandai: X, please.

*signs with Ashtaron Hermit Crab Model Kit*

halo wrote:
1.) ZZ Gundam is by far the worst ever... the first half of the series is unwatchable.

And how much of Destiny was unwatchable?

Pepperidge wrote:
Yeah, but it's for the good of Gundam as a whole.

What are they gonna advertise it as?

"The Series that Disappointed Yaoi Fangirls!"

...it has a nice ring to it.

Panon wrote:
for Gundam X to be next given how terribly that show was put together.

We must've watched a different Show.

Did you buy that X bootleg with Heero piloting Freedom or something?

penguintruth wrote:
The only one I've so far been able to stomach comfortably is the cheesy G Gundam,

Anybody else think that we need more Gundam Super Robots?

Nagisa wrote:
I'm finding Gundam X quite enjoyable, and containing a whole helluva lot more in terms of coherent plot & character development

"Tiffa, I Believe In God!"

Nionel wrote:
Just on a bit of an off note, Nagisa, would you recommend watching Gundam X?

Watch it. Yesterday.

Even the Villains are likable characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2