• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Cosplay Summit Ends in Aichi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Ladies and gentlemen, this is why subjectivity on a global scale is baaad.

I'd say that some rule changes will be in order for the next go-round.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I am telling you, it was the Russian judge. It had to be. They always dick us. Laughing
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, Francesca buys a large portion of her costumes, which I think is really unfair for a cosplay contest. A lot of the costumes she has on her site were purchased from http://www.diana.dti.ne.jp/~grifon/main/

For a while, they even had a picture of her wearing the Chun-Li costume she bought from them, but they got really pissed when she started claiming that she made everything from scratch and took it down.

Oop, never mind. They've got a picture up of her: http://www.diana.dti.ne.jp/~grifon/main/k01.htm

She insists on her website that every single costume is handmade by herself, but there's plenty of costume shops that attest to selling pre-made costumes to her. Honestly, if you're going to enter a cosplay contest, at least make the costumes yourself! Especially if the rules call for amateur cosplayers.
krispydigital

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
arg! i really like the versailles cosplayers. Think they were the best from cosplay summit at ax05.

and preselection...its pretty gross.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Was it these guys that got the boot?

http://www.cosplay.com/privateshoots/category/C179/
Andromeda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ugh, Francesca buys a large portion of her costumes, which I think is really unfair for a cosplay contest.

Not only unfair but usually very much against the rules. Confused

Every con I've been to or looked into, they have rules for the cosplay contest entrants that say that at least such and such percentage of the costume(s) must be made from scratch.

This is one reason I do not at current plan to enter any contests. Smile I plan to cosplay as Misato Katsuragi at my next con, but I don't plan to enter any contests because the dress, jacket and hat (read: practically the entire costume) will have been made by someone other than myself. The rest of my costume ideas are mostly joke costumes (ANNOYING CAT-EARED FANGIRL OF DOOOM OMG!!1 is one idea I had, as well as "Godawful Anime Crossover Fanfic"), not actual characters, so I wouldn't feel right entering most of them in contests (besides, they're delibrately cheap-looking designs Wink ). I may some day attempt to make my own Ayame (from the Inu-Yasha anime) costume, but I can't even sew right now, so... yeah. Wink

I just like to wear costumes. They're fun. I don't knwo why people who like the attention of wearing a cute costume can't just settle for that. I'm sure that with so many good costume-makers selling goods and commissions online, that some cosplayers aren't really making their own costumes, at least not entirely. Confused I can only hope it's not a majority. It's sad though that lately I find myself looking at good-looking cosplayers with awesomely-made costumes and wondering, "Did they really make all that? Or is it some guy in Hong Kong who does those commissions over eBay?". I'm torn, personally, between trying to think the best of people, and thinking that it's so easy to just order or buy one that it seems so unlikely that nobody at all is just buying all or part of their costumes.

If you can't make your own costume, you should enter as the MODEL for the costume, not the maker, I think. Because otherwise, you're a dirty liar. Wink

Quote:
Honestly, if you're going to enter a cosplay contest, at least make the costumes yourself! Especially if the rules call for amateur cosplayers

Exactly. Or at least have the intelligence to stick to one costume-maker and bribe him or her very well. Laughing

Of course, here I'm assuming that my source on this is correct. Wink For all I know, it isn't. But I'm sure that some cosplayers do exactly what Francesca is here accused of doing. And I can't be the only one that that bothers the hell out of...

-Runa27

Last edited by Andromeda on Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Aimee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's the Rose of Versailles group that got "booted". (I'm a member of that group.)

I would really recommend that everyone should avoid this competition like the plague. It wasn't just unfair, it was cruel. In particular to those who actually went to Japan, things like being ditched with no ride back from the competition. The winners were announced on the website before the competition had even started. There's no way that it was fair in any way shape or form.

If you want to read more about this:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=65778
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=62936
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=62775
Cosmic Kath

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote
You were robbed! o_O

you guys look so totally awesome, it's quite clear why everyone *here* thinks you should have won. For them to post the results before the comp, that's just...stupid. and unfair.

And the fact they gave you bus seats to other people is majorly messed up. you can't just ditch people in a FOREIGN COUNTRY!

i signed up to ANN just to say that. I needed to vent after reading about it, so i can't imagine how it was for those who were actually there.

ARGH*&%FBFHKHFSLKFHGSLEH!!!!!!!
jennwenn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
How can ANN post this as news? This is basically a load of rumours and speculation garnered from the Cosplay.com forums. I hardly think that justifies posting it as news on the frontpage. Sure, I personally agree with all these allegations from what I've heard but they are ALLEGATIONS and RUMOURS. Not news.

The only news is that Italy, technically, won. Fairly or not isn't confirmed.

EDIT - And Cosplay.com forums aren't credited, if it is even possible to credit a thread in a disussion forum...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
jennwenn wrote:
How can ANN post this as news? This is basically a load of rumours and speculation garnered from the Cosplay.com forums.

Not the first 4 paragraphs. There may be a slight exaggeration or two, but it's otherwise factual.

Oh, and in answer to your question, News is technically a series of stories that editors and producers deem worthy of reporting and being shown as "news".

Just out of curiosity (since I can't read Japanese) what were the prizes awarded?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rose of Versailles creator Riyoko Ikeda has expressed her disapproval of people cosplaying as her characters on more than one occasion.

This is the part of the article which had me scratching my head. If you create something which is popular enough to be cosplayed, why would you disapprove of good, dedicated cosplayers of your creation? Doesn't make any sense, and even if the creator did disapprove, that shouldn't stop anyone from cosplaying as those characters or even competing in contests as those characters.

Has she ever explained why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what a horrible experience. My heart goes out to Aimee's group and the Americans (and other contestants) who went to Japan who had to deal with that mess. I can only imagine the frustration! Japan should have been more straightforward about what they wanted instead of lying and stringing everyone along.

(on a side note.. Aimee keeps appearing on all the forums I visit.. Anime hyper I've been a big fan of your website/works for a long time.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
WOW, Aimee, your group's costumes were brilliant! It's a shame you got screwed over like that. Sad Though sadly, I always suspected that if a large corperte entity like this got involved in cosplay competitions, they'd try to turn into into model searches.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
so what would Japan have gain by favoring Italy anyways? were they paid?
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Rose of Versailles creator Riyoko Ikeda has expressed her disapproval of people cosplaying as her characters on more than one occasion.

This is the part of the article which had me scratching my head. If you create something which is popular enough to be cosplayed, why would you disapprove of good, dedicated cosplayers of your creation? Doesn't make any sense, and even if the creator did disapprove, that shouldn't stop anyone from cosplaying as those characters or even competing in contests as those characters.

Has she ever explained why?

I know this will come as a shock, but some people get just plain weirded out by how obsessive the cosplay community can be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2