• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds Monster Rancher TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Consider both versions purchased from me.

Kinda wish the dub will have closed caption/subtitles for the hearing impaired though...

I like Discotek, but they can at least add that for their dub-only sets...
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Never seen this show and don't care for it myself but it's nice to see them continue with the separate dub/sub releases for shows that would need them.

Now if only they can rescue Ronin Warriors, Ultimate Muscle (and the original Kinnikuman for that matter) & both Megaman adaptations that Viz had (along with their unreleased seasons & episodes). I would buy them all if that happened.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Will be curious to see if the sub sets still go with 'Monster Rancher' rather than 'Monster Farm'.

It probably will be Monster Farm seeing as the Japanese Samurai Pizza Cats set is now going by it's Japanese name, Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee but then again, it's TMS they're dealing with here so it could be different.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
SO excited for this, though I have to admit - their willingness to do a subtitled set alongside the dub ones really makes me wish they had gotten Digimon as well.

To be honest, I'm glad they didn't.

NewVideo and Saban made an effort to put closed captioning on their discs and as a dub-only watcher of Digimon who is hard of hearing, I'm grateful for that. Discotek on the other hand, does not do that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Having dubtitles for dub-only sets seems like a good idea then.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
This is very surprising, yet great news for fans of the show. I've never really seen the show, but it looks really fun, and I hope Discotek will do similar licenses in the future. Razz
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Going to mirror my post from Fandom Post on here.

I asked whether or not they'll be getting the Japanese or International master for the Japanese version. Hopefully they'll respond, since this is something I'm kinda curious about, especially since the International master has some modifications made to it (actual edits in the episode, but no censorship so to speak).

I uploaded examples (thanks to a friend of mine) that were taken from a Japanese R2 Source and French R2 Source:

JP 01 FR 01
JP 02 FR 02
JP 03 FR 03
JP 04 FR 04
JP 05 FR 05
JP 06 FR 06
JP 07 FR 07 - Temple Message Edited to English

For the record, the French version is based off the International master, rather than the English version.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
SO excited for this, though I have to admit - their willingness to do a subtitled set alongside the dub ones really makes me wish they had gotten Digimon as well.

To be honest, I'm glad they didn't.

NewVideo and Saban made an effort to put closed captioning on their discs and as a dub-only watcher of Digimon who is hard of hearing, I'm grateful for that. Discotek on the other hand, does not do that.
I guess they only started that for Zero Two onward because it's not in the Adventure boxset.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Would really love to see them pick up Medabots and Flint the Time Detective in the future too.

Let's not forget Shinzo, I'd love for that series to get licensed as well.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'll also jump on the 'Please license Medabots' boat as well. I LOVED the dub for that and was irritated that season 2 never got released here [Season 3... not so much]. I'd definitely consider a sub release as well.

ADV released the rest of "Season 2" on singles back in the early aughts. They're just out of print, and expensive now. As for Damashii/Season 3, the English dub provided up with invisible guns:

TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

I wonder if they didn't because Digimon is still relevent with Xros Wars. Monster Farm and Kyatto Ninden Teyandee have been dead for ages so they might have been cheap. The fact Digimon still makes new anime and games is more expensive, and companies have more incentive to released butchered dubs so they can air them on TV like Xros Wars upcoming dub for Nicktoons for marketing.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'll also jump on the 'Please license Medabots' boat as well. I LOVED the dub for that and was irritated that season 2 never got released here [Season 3... not so much]. I'd definitely consider a sub release as well.

ADV released the rest of "Season 2" on singles back in the early aughts. They're just out of print, and expensive now. As for Damashii/Season 3, the English dub provided up with invisible guns:

To be honest the only good thing about Medabots Sprits is it's Japanese Opening (WE ARE SUPER GUYS!) and as we don't get that in the Dub, it makes the whole endevour worthless.

I mean even the Dub lost it's way between the seasons.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
] I guess they only started that for Zero Two onward because it's not in the Adventure boxset.

It's on the Adventure singles, which I also picked up along with the boxset. =3
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
] I guess they only started that for Zero Two onward because it's not in the Adventure boxset.

Wait, singles?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Wait, singles?

http://www.amazon.com/Digimon-Adventure-Volume-Michael-Reisz/dp/B009O07NDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367530502&sr=8-1&keywords=Digimon+volume+2

I have this one, it has the Closed caption signal on back and popped it into my DVD player, plays the caption as well.

They released the full boxset and then singles of 3 sets each afterward.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Flatiron got the DVD rights to Digimon. If Discotek had gotten it, the DVDs wouldn't be sold in normal stores. I see Flatiron/New Video's "Volume" Digimon DVDs in Wal-Mart. Obviously, they're reaching a wider market. Plus, like Titan XL said, with Digimon Fusion on Nickelodeon (though the real Nick, NOT Nicktoons), it's still relevant in today's kid's market. Samurai Pizza Cats and Monster Rancher are only good for the nostalgia market, since few of today's kids know about them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5