• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 10 best / top 5 worst manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Updated the first post now that we are official!

Also some comments, now that I've gotten caught up on reading others' lists.

Princess_Irene, I am so desperate for Kagen no Tsuki to get licensed, I have no idea why it hasn't been yet. I've read a bit of it in scanlations and it just seems so wonderful. It and Princess Jellyfish are easily my two most wanted titles to be brought over.

Also, don't feel bad about the manwha, I've got OEL on my top 20 list!

rheiders, if the "final" volume of xxxHolic hadn't been so terrible, it would probably have been in my top 10 list instead of Clover. As it stands, it's in 13th position on my top 20 list. And I know that CLAMP is planning to continue it and may have started but, I don't know, I'm not sure how much faith I have left in them at this point.

Also, I really don't like Youko Razz

Anyway, since I keep referring to my top 20 list, I thought I would post the second half of it, with a quick sentence explaining why.

20. Love*Com

Refreshing romantic comedy that actually doesn't stop when The Couple (TM) gets together.

19. Sailor Moon

A nostalgic favourite that still holds up surprisingly well.

18. Paradise Kiss

My introduction to Ai Yazawa and, while I don't love it as much as NANA, it is an amazing ride as well.

17. Ouran High School Host Club

One of my favourite parodies of all time, because it parodies with love.

16. Mars

High school romance at its melodramatic best.

15. Dramacon

Anime conventions have a very special place in my heart and this series celebrates them, and anime fandom in general, perfectly.

14. Sand Chronicles

A sweet story of love and loss, shown over time which is a particular favourite narrative device of mine.

13. xxxHolic

A supernatural adventure that I love a lot, whimper of an ending and all.

12. Bunny Drop

An adorable story and one I'm sticking with to the end because I'm curious about how manga's current worst kept spoiler actually happens.

11. Solanin

Amazing coming-of-age story that really feels like it was written for my generation (the lots of education but lousy job and no money generation, for the record).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Princess_Irene, I am so desperate for Kagen no Tsuki to get licensed, I have no idea why it hasn't been yet. I've read a bit of it in scanlations and it just seems so wonderful. It and Princess Jellyfish are easily my two most wanted titles to be brought over.

Do you read Italian? That's the edition I have, and honestly, the beauty of that language really suits the story. But it still is in desperate need of an English release! (Vertical Ed? Any thoughts?) I almost put Princess Jellyfish on my list (I have the French edition), as well as Solanin...I just like too many series! Laughing

On a side note, for any Francophones, Chihayafuru and Kids on the Slope have both been translated into French in the last two months - 2 volumes of the first and 1 of the second are out so far. Time to buy more books...

Quote:
Also, don't feel bad about the manwha, I've got OEL on my top 20 list!

I almost put Mark Crilley's Miki Falls on my list - it would be in my top 20 easily! Have you read it?
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
Thirding the request for Kagen no Tsuki. It's still my very favourite Ai Yazawa series. It's haunting and beautiful and I love it. It's Shueisha though, so Viz or no one Sad (I hate monopolies. Either license it or let someone else have it! Same goes for the rest of Ai Yazawa's back catalogue, and Setona Mizushiro. I could go on.)

I'll post my list once I've finished university for the summer...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
I don't read Italian Sad

I might be able to make it through a French translation though. I've actually planned for ages to read manga in French, since I want to brush up on my language skills and the French selection is pretty good due to manga's popularity in France. I really should get around to doing that (definitely planned for ages to pick of the French Rose of Versailles since French obviously makes the most sense for that series)!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
Reading manga in a foreign language is a great way to keep up one's language skills, at least in comprehension, plus you get to keep up on some of the common slang. I don't get much of a chance to speak most of my languages on a daily basis, so it's fun AND useful! (And a drain on my wallet!) Just think - read manga in French and you can read not only Kana's wonderful Rose of Versailles translation, but also Ai Yazawa's Neighborhood Story so that Paradise Kiss makes more sense! Laughing (I loved it, more than ParaKiss, actually.)

I've toyed with the idea of maintaining some sort of record of popular manga series available in French and/or Italian and Spanish for people with foreign language skills to read rather than scanlations. I don't know as it would do much good, though.
pablojefferson

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
I can't post my best manga top 10 because there are sooooo many of them! But number one is fairy tail, so cool! nocreditcheckcatalogue.com

Last edited by pablojefferson on Fri May 17, 2013 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
I've seen a bit of the Neighbourhood Story anime, actually, and I have to say I wasn't all that into it. It was cute but not nearly as memorable to me as Ai Yazawa's other stuff. But it could be one of those stories that works better as a manga.

I just need to figure out a good source for buying French manga. I should perhaps bother Paploo about it, since I'm sure he knows.

As for a list of what's available in other languages, the encyclopedia covers that, doesn't it?
sakurai16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
best manga
1.bakuman-the two manga creaters that made this story are so amazing in every way because this series has it own amusing and interesting characters, always making the top of my manga purchase list.
2.rosario vampire (season 2)- i like the direction this story is taking and gets more emotional by the volume.
3.nana- i am beyond in love with this story as it continues to hold my attention and i hope it continues on.
4.fushigi yugi:genbu kaiden- its a very romantic and adoring story.
5. otomen- one of my favorite romantic comedies.
6.sand chronicles- its a little sad, but still moving and loving.
7.black god- full of action and fun.
8.kimi ni todoke- its a really sweet, and adoring series that any age would love.
9. naruto- its coming to an end (probally not anytime soon) but the climax is approaching and i really look forward to what happens next.
10.black bird- one of my all time favorites, though can be frustrating at times.
there are other series (like sekaiichi hatsukoi/junjou romantica, dawn of the arcana, a devil and her love song, d.gray man, tegami bachi, stepping on roses, dengeki daisy, crimson hero, strawberry 100%, and strobe edge that i also love)

as for worst manga, i would say oresama teacher really was a let down.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
@sakurai - I agree about Oresama Teacher. Whilst it's not /bad/ per se, I do agree that it was a massive disappointment. I found most of the jokes just fell flat and I didn't care about Mafuyu. I gave up after 4 volumes.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Reading manga in a foreign language is a great way to keep up one's language skills, at least in comprehension, plus you get to keep up on some of the common slang. I don't get much of a chance to speak most of my languages on a daily basis, so it's fun AND useful! (And a drain on my wallet!) Just think - read manga in French and you can read not only Kana's wonderful Rose of Versailles translation, but also Ai Yazawa's Neighborhood Story so that Paradise Kiss makes more sense! Laughing (I loved it, more than ParaKiss, actually.)

I've toyed with the idea of maintaining some sort of record of popular manga series available in French and/or Italian and Spanish for people with foreign language skills to read rather than scanlations. I don't know as it would do much good, though.

I've started doing this as well to keep up on my Spanish. I've picked up all of Urusei Yatsura and most of Kimagure Orange Road in Spanish editions. Reading them is slow going but I'm enjoying it Very Happy

Last edited by CheechMonger on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
@sakurai - I agree about Oresama Teacher. Whilst it's not /bad/ per se, I do agree that it was a massive disappointment. I found most of the jokes just fell flat and I didn't care about Mafuyu. I gave up after 4 volumes.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat I adore Mafuyu! D: And Hayasaka!! They're both so awesome!

It's her teacher I couldn't care less about. :/

As for the jokes, it's one of the funniest manga I've read in years!
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I can't list any terrible manga but i will only judge one that i read for terrible artwork it's called remote great story horrible artwork. the artwork was so bad that i almost though of dropping the manga because of it but the fact that the stories were good kept me reading .
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Much like my Anime list this has taken years off my life. Wink The list is in reverse order:

10. No.6 – My favourite aspect of this series is Shion and Nezumi’s relationship as we are constantly wondering where exactly they stand with each other as they connect on a level that is more than just friends. The story has me hooked and I like the pace it has taken; we are given time to learn about the characters as well as the social and economic problems/differences that exist. Its enjoyable to learn about and discover the world outside the wall with Shion for the first time and I’m excited to learn more about the secrets that are held back within the walls of the city.

9. Awkward Silence – For me AS is the perfect BL series: it’s not rapey; the drama moved very quickly away from the cliché boyfriend stealer and now revolves around a realistic problem which teen romances face in dealing with approaching separation once compulsory education ends. For me Keigo makes this series, he is the perfect guy, protective but not overly so, he’s understanding and connects with Satoru on a deeper level… Satoru how I am so jealous of you Laughing. What I enjoy most about this series is how Satoru and Keigo’s relationship isn’t too dramaful and we get to enjoy them growing closer together.

8. Wandering Son – This is a beautiful and heart-warming series which tackles some very difficult topics with dignity and grace. This story reminds me of certain aspects of my childhood in regards to finding who I was as I had an attraction to the same sex at a young age. I found it very difficult to talk to my friends due to others bullying me (although I hadn’t come out at that point) and I was worried my friends would do the same. Luckily like Nitori I had a strong group of friends but does suffer from bullying an out casting like anyone in his situation would. I like the way the children interact with each other and adults such as Hiroyuki; they can at times act a little older than they are but I think this is forgivable as it is aiming at an older audience. This series and its cast are held very close to me.

7. Soul Eater – Again this is another manga which is a lot of fun with its kooky characters and crazy antics. The plot has me hooked as never know exactly where the story will take you; for example you would never expect spoiler[DWMA and Medusa teaming up even if it was to take down Arachne]. For me Black Star’s character development has been most interesting and I love his energy and boyish charm. I love how there doesn’t feel like there is one stand out main character, Maka is essentially this but Black Star and Kid get just as much if a showing with Kilik, Ox and Kim not shying away from frontline stories. A combination of character personalities and twisting plot makes Soul Eater such an interesting, enjoyable and fun read!

6. Battle Royale – I fist watched the Battle Royale film before I entered the world of anime and manga and it soon became my favourite film so once I found out BR was also a manga I had to pick it up and I was not disappointed. I love how gritty this series is and how characters are explored to a depth when you can empathise with even the most evil of them. Souma’s history is probably explored more than anyone’s we learn why she is the way she is, I love her ruthlessness and twisted morals – this is why she one of my favourite characters from any series. I love the no holds barred approach BR takes which made me question what would I do and how far would I be willing to go to survive.

5. Vagabond – Vagabond is a glorious series with beautiful art and action mixed with fantastic character development. No fight is drawn out longer than it needs to be, no conversation is dragged out with excessive blocks of text - this keeps scenes flowing wonderfully. It feels like the characters live in a vast world, a world that really does exist, it is never too easy to find someone that you’ve lost but there are always no-names and big shots around the corner waiting to be discovered. I love this world, it feels alive. Vagabond never becomes melodramatic; it has a maturity that I have seen in very few others. Each character has a complexity about them and it feels as if each has a larger story to tell than we get to see, but hey this is a book mainly following one man’s struggle to make the best of himself. Vagabond reads like watching a film; effortless... Glorious!

4. Berserk – Much like Battle Royale it doesn’t hold back; it is a full throttle action packed story. Each volume seems like a master class in story telling through its hard hitting gory battles and disturbing/shocking character revelations to its tempered down dialog and world building. Guts to me is a breath of fresh air as he is not your typical good guy, he is: short tempered; unforgiving and merciless but somehow this makes him more loveable – the Golden arc helps this a lot. Just when you think Berserk is in top gear it finds another, it never slows down! Berserk for me is nothing short of Epic.

3. Ookiku Furikabutte - After watching Big Windup I fell in love with this series. I kept hoping for a third season until I found out that the anime wasn't a big enough success to get one. So I decided to pick up the manga... Well it took me a while to convince myself to read the scans (hell there's no other way to read it in a language I can understand). I love every character but especially all the members of Nishiura. I love the boisterousness of each of the character and the development they undergo as a group of friends. I love some of the banter and conversations they have through out the manga which didn't make it into the anime. The action is fantastic, the pacing is perfect and the story telling is a masterpiece!

2. Claymore – I picked up the manga because I felt the ending of the anime was a little disjointed and I had so many questions that I wanted answers to and I am so glad I did. I have grown to love each character especially the spoiler[surviving seven] each having their individual personalities and traits. In every volume each character grows and improves; spoiler[Claire has come out of her shell; Helen has become caring towards Claymores other than Deneve; Miria stands as the leader she was born to be]… I could go on. This series is full of epic fight scenes, outstanding plot and character development - each volume leaves me wanting more. I like the fact that fairly prominent characters are killed off with no notice keeping you constantly guessing who will survive each battle. This is one series that I could happily read over and over again.

1. The Rule of Standing on Tiptoe - This one shot is such a beautiful read, its mixture of humour and honesty makes it such a sublime manga. This is a sweet story of two boys, Raku (Ham-Chan) and Kosuke, who cross paths in a humorous and unexpected fashion which leads to the two of them discovering their own feelings for each other. I love the honesty in this book, they both start off as friends but the more time they spend together the more they become confused about their feelings that spoiler[does cause some tension and distance] between the two. One of the reasons I hold this manga in such high regard is this story is very similar to a relationships I had although mine didn’t have such a happy ending Laughing . This story is grounded; it doesn’t try to be flashy; doesn’t try to throw you off with any unnecessary drama and it doesn’t use sex as a way to keep you “interested”. It’s soft, cutesy at times, easy and enjoyable to read. The Rule of Standing on Tiptoe is going to be nearly impossible to beat for my number one spot!

Extra info: Kimi to Boku (You and Me) was knocked off the list by Magi but I’m sure it will re-enter the top 10 when I have continued reading the series. Also Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster) and His Favourite have been teetering on the edge of my top ten for a while. (So that would make them 11, 12 & 13 on said list. Very Happy)

EDIT: Magi was knocked off the number 10 spot as Ookiku Furikabutte has entered into 3rd. Seem to be getting a little lost in Magi's story though I do still love it Smile

Here is my anime list if you are interested Very Happy

Last edited by TsunaReborn! on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jomei Jostar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
My Top 10 Favorites:

10: Bleach
A great series, I especially loved it at the beginning! However, I was disappointed with pretty much everything after Aizen was defeated.

9: YuYu Hakusho
YuYu Hakusho is a great read (or watch) if you haven't done so yet. The only negative I believe is that sometimes it feels like a lot of parts feel unrelated to the main story.. (I don't know why)

8: Death Note
Now, I'm sure many of you will be angry about this place on the list, but this is just my opinion. By the way, I love Death Note, even though the original story is quite short, the plot, mystery and everything included in Death Note is phenomenal!

7: Fullmetal Alchemist
I think the author of FMA is simply a genius. There are many exciting and epic moments in this story it will make you smile with pleasure.

6: Naruto
The reason Naruto is number 6 on my list is because I'm a bit disappointed with most of the timeskip so far.. You guys may feel different.. but I'm not a huge fan of Obito being Tobi and some other questionable desicions Kishimoto made.. Overall, I still like Naruto and I will always remember the great times I had reading the first part of the series!

5: Fairy Tail
Fairy Tail has gotten extremely popular, and I'm sure almost all of you know what it is.. It's a fantastic and addicting manga; I also believe Fairy Tail is as good as Naruto.. maybe a little better. (In my opinion).

4: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
JJBA may not be even close to as popular as Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and One Piece, but I believe that JJBA deserves more attention.

3: Berserk
Although I just started Berserk 2 or 3 weeks ago.. I have one thing to say... IT'S AMAZING!! Berserk is WAY better than I thought it was before I actually started reading it.. I was a bit reluctant though, because I heard rape is in the story, but.. I believe the author (Kentaro Miura) handled this well, and used this to make me hate the main villain even more...

2: One Piece
Oh yes, I love One Piece... There are so many reasons that this is a great manga/anime and if you haven't started it yet.. what are you waiting for?!

1: Dragonball/Dragonball Z
This actually might surprise some people, but Dragonball/Dragonball Z always has and always will be my all time favorite manga/anime. I remember the first time I watched the show, when all I thought when I first saw it was "These are awesome fights!".. However, after about 4 years passed since I first saw it, I came back to Dragonball/DBZ (I was 11 when I came back to DBZ. But now I'm 14.) and realized how great it really is. I actually watched the anime instead of the manga. I can also remember the time when I got up to the end of the Frieza saga when Goku went SSJ for the first time... I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it! And personally my favorite fight was Gohan vs Cell!

This is my personal top 10, so I don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. If you are upset with my opinion, let me tell you that there is no true best anime/manga. The best anime/manga depends on the eye of the beholder.
Pleinair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I never thought my tastes in Manga were so opposing, but reading through everyone's lists and finding that I haven't read too many of them, I know of the ones I haven't, and I don't want to. I just downright don't like most of them! Apologies for being a contrary creature down to my core. In my fairly vast Manga collection, I do have some series that I adore, even if some are incomplete in general, or ongoing, so here I go.

My Current List of Favorite Manga that I have Completed.

#1-Petshop of Horrors (Anything by Matsuri Akino, really)
Okay, who really hasn't read any of this, really? Shame! This (sorta) Horror Manga has been at the top of the list of manga I love, for about as long as I have been collecting. It was really some of the first Manga I collected, so maybe that gives it some Nostalgia residue, but I can still go to my shelf and pick it up, and read it again and again. It features Count D, a long legged, lithe, fairly beautiful slip of a man with a penchant for wearing ornate Chinese dresses, and the Pet Shop he owns, residing in Chinatown. There have been some strange occurrences around town, and Leon the detective has been put on the case, and many of them lead Leon right to Count D's shop. The original Ten volume series is simply amazing, and the sequel (Petshop of Horrors Tokyo, 8 volumes from Tokyopop before they went kaput) as far as I have read, keeps the pace exciting. I hate scans, so there are many series I could finish but just haven't. There is an overarching story that shows itself later, and that was good too, but each chapter tends to focus on a new creature or story, and that kept me happy enough to love it. A little gory at times, and violent as well, but nothing to flinch at from my point of view.

#2-Oishinbo (Story: Tetsu Kariya Art: Akira Hanasaki)
Okay, first title that seeps through the truth, sees through my semi-shojo and horror obsession and to my heart: Manga about Food or Cooking. And this is certainly the cream of the crop for me, and I die a little knowing there is years worth I won't get to see in English. The themed snippets of the seven volume Viz release are not in some sort of order, just by types of recipes or food involved, and the main character following his reviewing job to review the best food, while clashing against snobby types, his own predisposition, and even his own overbearing father. I don't know who else would love this series, I've not even found anyone who read it, but then again I have few to none manga friends.

#3-Card Captor Sakura (Clamp)
And straight back into the Shojo amazingness. If you haven't read this series, please do so. It is magical girl, it is unrequited love, it is adventure and it is Fashion. Oh my god is it fashion. Follow young Sakura as she tried to recapture the Clow Cards, and then of course through so much more. Dark Horse has an excellent Omnibus set of four out that has some of the amazing art, but the Tokyopop various additions are just as fun to read and a little easier to wield. I will always be glad Clamp finished this title.

#4-Paradise Kiss (Ai Yazawa)
More fashion, more drama, more love. Manga that still makes me cry. I am a fan of Yazawa more or less, I really enjoyed the too-long Neighborhood Story, love Paradise Kiss, and I did enjoy Nana..to a point. I didn't even make it to the halting point before it became too much Drama, too much sadness, but I can still see it as art. So I stick with Paradise Kiss, and am glad for it. If this doesn't hit upon your list of things to read, I really suggest you rethink that choice. It is a bit high school romance, and some teenage angst, but it is a manga of growing up, and we could all read some of that.

#5-Bunny Drop 9(Yumi Unita)
Yep, I know the ending, yep I know people find it uncomfortable. I couldn't care less, it touches upon my personal heart strings and I love every page of this Manga. The art is beautiful, the lines flowing, and each part feels just too close to real. Maybe I am alone, maybe most would rather stick with the one season anime that is half the story, but me, I'll stick with Daikichi to the end. Sorry, Kouki.

#6-Yakitate!! Japan (Takashi Hashiguchi)
Yup, more food. Bread, to be specific. Allllll kinds of bread. And then some crazy techniques, and some crazy characters, and then some crazy happenstance! This series is crazy! But I love it all the same. Azuma Kazuma is a silly, goofy, bread baking almost idiot genius, obsessed with bread since his childhood when his sister rebels against the traditional Japanese breakfast, and from this is begun the long, 26 volume saga of Kazuma and his "Ja-Pan", bread made by the Japanese and for as well! He does tend to have mirrored techniques that seem reminiscent of ones from elsewhere...but his way of getting to them is all his own, and I always root for him! A rich cast of characters, some amazing and some insane, some fun and funny, others easy to detest, it is a fun read. But if you don't like reading about battle style bread baking....well, why don't you??

#7-Ristorante Paradison (Natsume Ono)
More food, mixed with love, older gentlemen in glasses, and some mother-daughter issues to work out. Why, why is this a One shot? They streeeeeeeeeeeetched it into a lovely, enjoyable series, that is also on that favorite list, but this One Volume....My heart tugs and beats for it whenever I look at it on the shelf, pick it up, flip through the pages, and end up sitting down to read it again and again. Follow Nicolette as she tries to seek revenge on her run-off-for-love Mother, and finds a Bistro full of dashing, glasses wearing older gentleman, another touch upon my odd interests. Natsume Ono can sure draw a dashing cut of male. (note, Gente is more from her in this vein, it is in my honorable mentions <3)

#8-Antique Bakery (Fumi Yoshinaga)
This was a close call from Ristorante to Antique, but Ristorante topped it out cause there was a girl for me to relate to closely. I'm easy to sway like that. But don't doubt my love for this series! Fumi is an Artist in extreme, her style easily identified, and her stories always so very....beautiful. This is my favorite of her works. It is funny, deep, sweet, traumatic, touching, and I did say funny didn't I? Her penchant for the chibi forms makes me giggle, and the clashing of her homosexual characters with the non, while should be jarring, she works it in with the characters themselves. Anyway! A semi-bored office man who had a childhood trauma breaks away, and decides to open a Bakery. And grow the scruffy beard he always wanted. He gets a world class pâtisserie, a lovely location, antique furniture, and is all set to get a cute shop girl!....but for reason that you should read, ends up with a forced-to-retire young champion boxer, and later more then he can handle. This four volume series covers a lot of ground, and ends with a low, sweet note that deserves to be read.

#9-Eat-Man (Akihito Yoshitomi)
This one is tough to talk about, a last minute catch I wanted to put on my list, this series only has two American/English language volumes that I am aware of, and I found both randomly, I am a mad manga collector. I find it, pick em up, give them a read...and I still can't forget it and it's stories. That was nearly 8 years ago, and I still think about them often, while some volumes of others I read last week I can't even recall...Bolt Crank is an odd man that eats metal, lots of metal, and can later recreate the item he has eaten the pieces of, as long as he has eaten all of the parts! He is also up for hire to do what you want, unless someone wants to pay him more to do the opposite, seeming like a ruthless mercenary, but he is guided by his own set of rules as he travels all over, saving a cute girl here, defending a town there, and getting verbally torn apart by a mechanic girl, this metal chomper is an uninvolved heart breaker. I think it's the hair. <3 I can't tell you what exactly makes me love this series, but....should you find a volume, I would give it a read.

#10-Beast Master (Kyousuke Motomi) This...was a strange one I felt compelled to add. It is a short, two volume set. Brief, and just sort of odd....but I am oddly drawn to the feral male lead, Leo Aoi. I like this artists style, reading Dengeki Daisy, and I can see this series is silly. The female lead Yuiko Kubozuka, is strange to say the least. A little...weak. But I can't not love it. It's so earnest. He's so sweet, her spit-takes always make me laugh. I dunno, maybe I'm just a sucker for slight scary, feral boys, that are fiercely loyal to you and you alone. I don't know if I can recommend it, I can see it for the weak shojo that it is, but it'll stay on my list for now.

Honorable mentions, cause I love these too!

Anything by Lily Hoshino, I can't resist her art, the characters are just too too beautiful. Love Quest, Mr. Flower Bride/Groom, whatever. She is my queen of BL.
Dramacon by Svetlana Chmakova, This series, in what I call Ameri-manga, is truly one of the best. Follow the American Con-goer from both sides, as well as chance romance, and a dash of drama.
Gente by Natsume Ono, a prequel for Ristorante of sorts, following the dashing men before the Bistro
Hotel Africa by Jihae Hong, Took me this long to get to Manhwa? Dang, I used to have so much more on my lists. This is a slightly sad, multi storied large set, about a Small hotel (not in Africa) and some of the various visitors it has had over years.
The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Story: Eiji Ohtsuka, Art: Hosui Yamazaki, I have all of this series, but I have been reading it in doses. I have an odd interest in somewhat gory tales, ones that are gory without being completely violent, does that make sense? No, I didn't think so. Well, this cast of Delivery characters have a long saga, following corpses to the end of their stories, long after some should have ended.
Laon Story: Hyun You, Art: YoungBin Kim, Another Manhwa and one that is not even in the ANN database, sadly. A small fox creature is sent to earth as a punishment, stripped of her tails (it's gender is flexible, but I lean towards she) and now she must try and find them all to get her own planet, as she was promised! This tale is quite violent, a bit naughty, a little gory, but one I very much enjoy.
Mixed Vegetables by Ayumi Komura Okay, this series catches a lot of crap. For being about food, but not cooking, about love, but not carefully, about dreams and going for them, but also maybe doing what your parents say, or maybe not. And Maybe food again. I don't really care, I collected it and read it all, and I still am very fond of the baker and sushi chef, and their families.

Manga I am still in the midst of reading, so I can't put on that list, but I am still Loving them! Also on this list are ones that do not Have a complete English release, sadly, and some never will.

Afterschool Charisma by Kumiko Suekane Follow Histories greats, remade as young, attractive clones, working towards....I don't even know.
Bound Beauty by Mick Takeuchi - incomplete A young girl who values her independence from her overbearing father, through mysterious chance ends up working with a group of paranormal-investigator types, and also trapped as a little girl all over again, maybe permanently!
Bride of Deimos Story: Etsuko Ikeda Art: Yuuho Ashibe - incomplete Siblings on Olympus fall in love, forbidden, and are cast out and down, forced apart by time and death, till a reincarnation can be found.
Dawn of the Arcana by Rei Tōma A shunned princess, sent away from her beloved contry-like home, to a much larger, much harsher city type town, and a not-so-pleasant prince.
Demon Flowers by Hakase Mizuki - incomplete Children of angels and humans, chased after, hunted....Kept safe by the one creature supposed to murder them.
Dengeki Daisy by Kyousuke Motomi A high school girl's hacker confidant, her lost genius older brother, the surly janitor with bleached hair....how can they all stay safe, and can there be love?
The Embalmer by Mitsukazu Mihara - incomplete A practice shunned in the east, and the skilled man who does it all the same.
Ghost Talker's Daydream Art: Sankichi Meguro Concept: Saki Okuse Dominatrix, virgin, hairless...and talks to spirits passed. Not for the faint of heart!
Kingyo Used Books by Seimu Yoshizaki Manga about Manga, and Manga lovers, and then more Manga! True love.
Until Death Do Us Part Story: Hiroshi Takashige Art: DOUBLE-S A young girl who can see the future, sort of, and a man who can't see at all that she claims as her protector. Why does the underground always think a psychic can solve all their problems.
Vassalord by Nanae Chrono - incomplete Vampire, cyborg priest, action and BL. Yeah, I'm weak.
Zone-00 by Kiyo Qjo - incomplete Just....noteworthy. Please, another publisher needs to finish this, please.

The worst list was actually pretty hard, I am really really forgiving, and even series that don't tickle my fancy I usually try to collect to the end, at least passively.

Hana-Kimi by Hisaya Nakajo
23 volumes of buildup, and for what? I'm all for following your heart, even if you don't know exactly where you heart is! But if you don't give me some pay off...Well, this series still leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but maybe I am just too greedy for the sweet touch.
Oresama Teacher by Izumi Tsubaki
I only got through one volume, and that volume...well, it was weak. Uninteresting. The characters just did nothing for me, nothing at all. I feel sad I had to write it off so soon.
Alice in The Country of Hearts: The Mad Hatter's Late Night Tea Party Original Creator: QuinRose Art: Riko Sakura
I have been reading and collecting all the English releases of this...sporadic set of titles, and I will do so still, but this one was weak, the art a little awkward, and though the second volume is okay and wraps up neatly...the over all pace of Alice and her affair with the Hatter is just...weak. Don't get me wrong, the titles in this aren't all gems, but this one is just a cheap stone in a bad setting.
High School of the Dead by Story: Daisuke Satō Art: Shoji Sato
My goodness, what a mess. Maybe it's my dislike of Zombies, but not even my fondness for over endowed high schoolgirls in rapidly depleting clothes can't make me like this series. I just don't care.
My Boyfriend is a Vampire by Yu-Rang Han
I still may try and finish this odd series, but...it was just so jarring. Odd. Boring. Pretty and kind of ugly at once. Did I say boring? The characters are a little abrasive, and not in a way that makes me happy like some. I dunno, I'll see how it goes if I get more.

Holy balls that was a lot of jabbering....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4