• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Girls & Panzer's Armor-Piercing Shell Pillow Gets 101,000-Yen/US$1,020 Bid

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
so how many of you are daring enough to bid on this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Even if I was willing to shell out that kind of money it's pointless Yahoo Japan Auctions the seller won't ship outside Japan. Sometimes their is a proxy service that you can hire to bid on it with your money and charge a fee to acquire it and ship it to you.

Still over 1K I'd pay 150-200 dollars tops, those Japanese fans must really want one or have more money than brains.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
shell out that kind of money

...the pun, it burns us!
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not into Girls & Panzer, but I understand that scarcity of that hug pillow drove up the price. When the show is super popular among Japanese otaku fans and the item is made through a dojin circle at small quantity, it's no wonder some people would bid that high for a pillow. What is it, 100 units? Granted that Dojin circle is not about making big bucks with copyrighted materials, but business idea they come up with is fascinating. Copyright owners could have come up with the same idea, but it seems like they never did.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
The second wave of auctions is finding "more reasonable" prices --- $125. There are currently three at that price.

The high bidder on the headline auction appears to have wimped out --- the final auction price was "only" 95,000 yen --- about $950. The other two auctioned over the weekend went for about $800 and $630.

It rarely hurts to be patient in matters like this --- and the sellers knew this. One of the $125 auctions started around the same time as the extreme high-bid auctions, but was scheduled to last several days. The high-bid auctions were set to end in 24-36 hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1