• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Box sets?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerberus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:25 pm Reply with quote
At Borders, they had the first DB box set so you could buy all the manga with the display box, and not have to shell out the extra 4.50 for using the coupons. Too bad I already have DB up to volume 13. But if they decide to do sell box sets with the book for DBZ, I might buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lobotomoy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:00 pm Reply with quote
isaacada1 wrote:
I wonder if we'll see a combined anime/manga box set for a series?

CPM already did that with their Alien 9 - Ultimate Collection DVD + Graphic Novels 1-3.
But it might be interesting to see this sort of thing for a longer series.

One problem that comes up is that often times, if an anime series is licensed, the manga will be licensed by a different company. For example, FLCL anime was licensed by Synch Point, while the FLCL manga was licensed by Tokyopop. I don't know if different companies would be willing to cooperate like that to make a combined anime/manga box set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see that for larger series,because I hate having to buy all the GTOs seperate.Maybe if they put them in a box set and sold them for a small amount less that all seperate.Or they could do it for the different story arcs,like for DBZ,Naruto,and
Kenshin.
Cerberus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Kagato wrote:
Or they could do it for the different story arcs,like for DBZ,Naruto,and
Kenshin.

I'd rather buy the Kenshins separately, just because I'd hate to have to wait for the volumes to be released and then have to buy them all at once. It would take way too much time. The only time I'd buy a box set was if I didn't like it that much and so I hadn't bought the GNs individually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about box sets.... I'd be interested in seeing some of the series come out in the fatter, special edition books. Especially some of the smaller titles. Titles like X-Day could have come out as one fat book instead of two small ones.
Hellomojo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:50 pm Reply with quote
BERSERK EVA wrote:
But, I think many manga series are too big for em. Though they could spilt then into smaller box sets. But that, to me, would look/seem weird. For example, 4 box sets of DB or something. A box set of series should be just one box not multiple boxes.

I don't even know if Japan has manga boxsets but I do know one season of an anime can have multiple boxes.

Chobits has three boxsets and Last exile will have two, in Japan of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagami no Kage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I love the Magic Knight Rayearth box sets.
Geri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:35 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see boxsets for larger series, like GTO. I really want to collect it, but it's expensive buying so many volumes separately. And after buying 28 volumes of both Kenshin and Saint Seiya, my wallet is drained.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I think they should make a lot more boxsets. Its not much cheaper but will still save you some money. Shonen Jump has a couple box sets. I know they have 1 for Dbz. They also have one for the 1st issue of every manga in Shonen Jump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Although, as nice as a box might be, I think they'd charge the same price as you would if you were to buy each one by itself. Like for anime box sets, you got to pay $100-$200 dollars on it right there, and each box set has about 4-8 DVDs in it, and don't anime DVDs cost $25 by themselves. Added together, you get the same price. So, with this in mind, they would probably do the same thing with manga. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trigunner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I really wouldn't mind paying $100-$200 for a manga box set. I've got nothing to blow my money on anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:01 pm Reply with quote
trigunner wrote:
I really wouldn't mind paying $100-$200 for a manga box set. I've got nothing to blow my money on anyway.

Unfortunately, some of us don't have that kind of money to put down for something like that. Oh how badly I want my own income besides not eating lunch! Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trigunner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, some of us don't have that kind of money to put down for something like that. Oh how badly I want my own income besides not eating lunch!

You should get a part time job. I was just talking to my cousin and he said that in Japan, manga box sets have been around for ages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hellomojo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:43 am Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
trigunner wrote:

Unfortunately, some of us don't have that kind of money to put down for something like that. Oh how badly I want my own income besides not eating lunch! Anime cry

Lunch is a very important and nutritional meal that should not be left unaccounted for. My little cash register job helps me make all the money I need to satisfy my adictions. Especially when the money from the cash register accidently slips in my pockets... J/K. But seriously a min wage job is an EASY thing to get.

And yes if I knew I'd love the manga series I'd drop 200 dollars for it. unfortunately series that are long enough for a $200 box set are very unappealing to me, just like Carol Maxwell's lunch.

Laughing

Just kidding, all love from over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:45 am Reply with quote
Hellomojo wrote:
Lunch is a very important and nutritional meal that should not be left unaccounted for. My little cash register job helps me make all the money I need to satisfy my adictions. Especially when the money from the cash register accidently slips in my pockets... J/K. But seriously a min wage job is an EASY thing to get.

Unfortunately, my parents won't let me get a min wage job, they said I should be focused ENTIRELY on school. Evilness. But hey, I only have to put up with this until after high school, then comes paying for the evil college, but, it'll all be good after college. Surprised

$15 a week for not eating lunch, watching t.v., writing stories, listening to tunes, and playing my flute, not too bad. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3