• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Alchemist Manga, licensing Speculations?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:12 am Reply with quote
Who do you think will get the rights to translate the Full Metal Alchemist Manga? I'm hoping for Del Ray, since they aren't a big company and do a good job with the english versions of manga.
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:14 am Reply with quote
I just got your PM about that. Man you are that mad huh? Well I agree, del ray does do a great job with english version. I wonder why it wasn't sent to them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:41 am Reply with quote
Del Rey mistranslated something in their first Tsubasa volume, but I'm not going to hold it against them. Personally, I can't even begin to guess who'll get it. FMA's manga is published by a company called Gangan, and as far as I know, no companies here have licensed any Gangan stuff yet. It does look right up Del Rey's alley at the moment. Since Viz is Kodansha stuff only lately, they aren't as likely. Tokyopop is only going for shoujo lately. ADV just bought a load of titles...
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:43 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be able to tell, I can only read kanji but if they handed me a copy in japanese I can get it back to them fully translated in....................2 months lol. that's how long it took me to learn kanji but from what I hear everything else is easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:29 am Reply with quote
I know Hirigana and katakana, to two forms needed to read manga (Kanji is written with the hirigana above it), So I've started to work on Full Metal Alchemist Vol 8. I've translated the first 20 something pages so far. Very spoiler-rific though. Laughing
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
hahahaha. Very. Although do you think their are any kanji manga?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
Blood_rein wrote:

T.T As far as I know, they're aren't any fully kanji manga, and if they are, god help that soul translating it if they aren't a native Japanese or Chinese speaker. Most kanji in manga are ok because they have furigana. Some manga *like Wolf's Rain >.<* are kanji with no furigana. Most of my translation buddies don't want to touch manga without furigana.
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
I don't need god's help with that. I already can read most Kanji. but not all. Some people say that kanji is really hard. I never noticed. Although kanji was the first written form of japanese I recieved in learning.
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Then you must be a unique case.

I envy you.

Although, if you want to widely spread your manga to the masses, it's best you learn hirigana and katakana, since most people have a hard time reading Kanji, and many wouldn't be able to read your works.
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Naiomi wrote:
Then you must be a unique case.

I envy you.

Although, if you want to widely spread your manga to the masses, it's best you learn hirigana and katakana, since most people have a hard time reading Kanji, and many wouldn't be able to read your works.

Very unique as I've found out today. But there is not reason to envy me. That was my first lesson in Japanese, and I had no clue it was suposssed to be hard. Although it cannot find another teacher so now I need someone to teach me hirigana and katakana.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Blood_rein wrote:

T.T As far as I know, they're aren't any fully kanji manga, and if they are, god help that soul translating it if they aren't a native Japanese or Chinese speaker. Most kanji in manga are ok because they have furigana. Some manga *like Wolf's Rain >.<* are kanji with no furigana. Most of my translation buddies don't want to touch manga without furigana.

I'm sure *someone* *somewhere* writes manga in classical Japanese (which CAN be written entirely in kanji)... but really, it would be impossible (or nearly so) in modern Japanese.

There's no market for it; it's like writing OLD English (not the decypherable Chaucer, but older)... surely someone does it, but the market for it is too small to really consider.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
lol...if I used kanji no one could read it? That's funny.
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh how language has changed.... Laughing
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood_rein wrote:
lol...if I used kanji no one could read it? That's funny.

No. Kanji are used all the time in modern Japanese (just look at any Japanese webpage).. but kana are now used for particles, certain words, verb suffixes and such...

Classical Japanese (as written during the early Heian period by a male member of the aristocracy) would typically be written entirely in kanji... which would look (to the untrained eye) like Chinese.

At the same time, educated women would use the kana script, and eventually the two were used together (see Tale of Genji)..

I don't know much more about classical japanese as a language, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Naiomi

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Kanji, while used quite often, isn't everywhere. If you go to japan knowing hirigana and katakana, you'll be able to get along okay, since most kanji have the hirigana/katakana written next to them.

Hirigana and katakana represent sounds, not verbs. For example...

= the sound ah,

= the sound no,

Words are written like sounds, so ah-no or Ano would be written like this

[/img][/u]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2