• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Water World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

What? I like plenty of stuff thats not "Harem or otaku".. but this is a show with a self insert guy that all the girls want, and they are designed by a famous hentai artist. Its pretty much got everything on the harem checklist except for walking in on a girl changing so far.

LOL Um No! With the exception of the artist nothing you have described has happened in the show.

All the girls do not want Ledo. The younger girls think he is good looking but I haven't really seen how Ridget and Bellows are interested in him.

Ledo is hardly an insert character. He is the character getting the most development and it's not about "what girl will he choose".
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

What? I like plenty of stuff thats not "Harem or otaku".. but this is a show with a self insert guy that all the girls want, and they are designed by a famous hentai artist. Its pretty much got everything on the harem checklist except for walking in on a girl changing so far.

LOL Um No! With the exception of the artist nothing you have described has happened in the show.

http://blog-imgs-50.fc2.com/m/o/e/moerukabunushi/20130507235008f4a.jpg
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yes Oh my that one screencap certainly proves that this is a harem series. Well you shot me right down there. Rolling Eyes

Because girls being interested in the new boy from space suddenly makes this a harem? Lets ignore the fact that who Ledo will get with has not been the focus at all.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, since no one else answered this question:
CrowLia wrote:

Also, is Hetalia: Beautiful World over? It's marked as "Ongoing" in Wikipedia, but there hasn't been a new episode in three weeks so I'm confused

It's taking a break. Ep. 14 will be out on May 10th while Ep. 15 won't be out until May 17th.
Although, on April 29th, NicoNico had accidently played this episode then, quickly took it down. If you go on Tumblr, you can see some GIFs of Germany and Prussia lifting weights.

Also, immediately after Ledo takes his clothes off, the girls barely talk to him. When he was in trouble, Amy saved him not the ditzy duo.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
How can you deny it?! Even the OKAMAS want Ledo's blankslate protagonist ass. Let's not forget how this is also an ecchi series because there was a beach episode and a dubiously dressed pirate lady. No wonder RyanSaotome likes this show

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Well, since no one else answered this question:
CrowLia wrote:

Also, is Hetalia: Beautiful World over? It's marked as "Ongoing" in Wikipedia, but there hasn't been a new episode in three weeks so I'm confused

It's taking a break. Ep. 14 will be out on May 10th while Ep. 15 won't be out until May 17th.
Although, on April 29th, NicoNico had accidently played this episode then, quickly took it down. If you go on Tumblr, you can see some GIFs of Germany and Prussia lifting weights.

Thanks! I'm glad to know it's coming back this week Very Happy I couldn't find info anywhere about airing dates so I wondered if any of the new short series had taken its timeslot, I'm glad that's not the case
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am also seeing some people insinuating that episode 5 had some sort of plot development. Nothing worthwhile happened; it can be skipped by those uninterested in bikinis.

Wow, how's the future treating you?

Yeah. You guys can skip it if you want but I guarantee you are gonna be pretty disappointed in episode #13 when the show does its big reveal that the key to Ledo returning to space and defeating the Hideauze was in Ridget's cleavage all along.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yes Oh my that one screencap certainly proves that this is a harem series. Well you shot me right down there. Rolling Eyes

Because girls being interested in the new boy from space suddenly makes this a harem? Lets ignore the fact that who Ledo will get with has not been the focus at all.

If you want a more concrete answer if that picture isn't enough..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harem_anime

Harem, broadly, is a loose subgenre of anime and manga characterized by a protagonist (or several protagonists) surrounded, usually amorously, by three or more members of the opposing sex and/or love interests.

The main character is a guy who is surrounded mainly by attractive female characters. Is it a full on harem anime that ignores story and action? No. But its still got a strong harem element that ties in with the rest of it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
So anything with one guy who interacts with at least three girls is a harem. Oh those idiots reading Shonen Jump and thinking they're reading action manga, they must feel so stupid now. Heck, even Harry Potter is a harem by those standards. I can imagine all those potterhead faces when they hear the harsh truth.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I guess "harem" is the new "moe" now in the sense that people who like a show refuse to let that label even come close to touching it despite freely slapping it on a bunch of other shows they care little to nothing about.

CrowLia wrote:
Oh those idiots reading Shonen Jump and thinking they're reading action manga, they must feel so stupid now.

If you're actually saying Weekly Shounen Jump doesn't run harem series in it then you should probably go actually look up just what gets serialized in it. Using "Shounen Jump" as a synonym with "action manga" is incredibly ignorant.

Last edited by TitanXL on Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Just as it's ignorant to pretend that WSJ's all time top sellers and most popular mangas are not essentially action oriented series -heck, half of Bakuman's plot is kind of rebelling against it-. But no, wait, Ichigo gets his face shoved into women's boobs every other chapter. Bleach must be a harem. My whole life is a lie. And Bakuman is a harem too, since Takagi is, at some point, in the middle of some misunderstanding/love-polygon. Oh, now I see how blind I've been all these years

Last edited by CrowLia on Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I guess "harem" is the new "moe" now in the sense that people who like a show refuse to let that label even come close to touching it despite freely slapping it on a bunch of other shows they care little to nothing about.

LOL why am I am not surprised you would come out in support of Ryan Saotome. So predictable!

And no I have enjoyed both some harem and reverse harem shows. But this one is not a harem by any stretch of the word.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Quick! Find the administrator of Military Brigade Harem and invite him to ANN Cast so everyone can kill each other on the forums on how harem is a feeling and not a type of anime!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
If you're actually saying Weekly Shounen Jump doesn't run harem series in it then you should probably go actually look up just what gets serialized in it. Using "Shounen Jump" as a synonym with "action manga" is incredibly ignorant.

The best selling harem manga of the last decade, To Love Ru, actually started in Shonen Jump. Theres plenty of stuff in Jump beyond just the Narutos and Bleaches.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Why, of course, nobody questions variety in Jump. Like, there was also Death Note, which was obviously a harem, because Light had all Misa, Kiyomi and Naomi Misora for himself. And there's also Assassination Classroom, also a harem since the protagonist's classroom is full of girls. How about Claymore -not WSJ, but still clearly a harem, with Raki being surrounded with demon-women-. And the list goes on and on. So much harem, so little time...
Mechanical Horror

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

You do realize they're genetically engineered pilots trained for combats right? The show even makes an effort to tell you that they're NOT INCOMPETENT and are good pilots individually just can't function as a team yet which is the entire basis of the show. Not sure why you find the absurdity of pilots being trained for war being selected for their survival instinct yet praise the DON'T KILL THE PIRATES WHO TRIED TO RAPE AND MURDER US morals of Gargantia. Rolling Eyes

I believe you're overlooking a couple things. The thing about the pirates is that Ledo killed the lot of them and now those pirates are going to want revenge. They are presumably better at combat than the crew of the Gargantia and when they do come back, you're going to have a bunch of people getting injured and dying and the ships will, most likely, be badly damaged. So the crew is more worried about the future than anything else.

And it's not as if the crew isn't thankful to some degree. Heck, Bellows even makes a point of coming to visit Ledo and thank him when Ledo is still considered highly dangerous (which has only been intensified with Chambers display of force). Other than that, the Gargantia folks are simply shocked at what one boy was able to.

Long story short: They choose to focus a bit less on the human drama in favor of the politics that accompany the situation. Which I happen to really like.

As for the whole pilot thing: We see all of one battle. I think that there's too little information to say that the individual pilots can't work together as a team.

What I'm watching:
Hunter x Hunter: Finally got to the Chimera Ant arc. One of the best and worst arcs of the series.

Gargantia: Well written and its got a good cast of likable characters. I actually liked episode 5 (minus the obligatory swimsuits).

Attack on Titan: A solid action show.

Valvrave: Honestly, it could be worse. The writing is pretty weak and the art isn't all that amazing. Its incredibly heavy-handed with its symbolism with the whole, "give up your humanity," and 666 thing. You can draw comparisons with Code Geass (one of the girls in the credits kinda looks like C.C. and L-elf (God that name is horrible) struck me as a mash up Suzaku and Leouch without anything likable or intriguing as far personality is concerned). Not to mention its a tad to predictable but otherwise its a competent enough mecha series. It has decent action sequences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11