• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Water World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
I just realized there's no "Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat" on the Stream list. That's quite unfortunate. It's considerably better than some of the titles on that list. Get past episode 1 and it's much, much better. I am looking forward to upcoming episodes.

Yeah, I was unsure as to whether or not to continue with Henneko, but episode 3 had the right amount of sweetness and character drama to grab my interest again. It's a cute show with some neat ideas.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the trouble Bamboo (especially since you wrote 8,500+ words for the Stream) but, whenever I click on the link for a specific series, it only send me to the Chihayafuru 2 article.
Newtype RX-93

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I can't say anything about Space Bros. Flowers and Chihayafuru but my top 3 for this season only are:

1 Attack on Titan
2 Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
3 The Devil is a Part-Timer

For Titan, it feels like this is the most fun I've had watching an anime in a while. I totally agree with that point. The biggest facet about the show is not the beautifully animated action scenes, not the well-executed and grandiose soundtrack, but the motivations of the characters and their willingness to survive. The latest episode just cranked my enjoyment into overdrive.

For Gargantia, it's close behind Titan. It can be a bit silly at times (especially in the latest episode) but it works and I'm digging it. Ledo is an interesting character and I enjoy seeing him discover and adapt to the culture more rather than him fighting, even though the fights are well done.

For Devil, it's really funny and it manages to defy my expectations. It has little depth but I'm cool with that as long as it keeps me laughing and steers clear of generic fantasy, which it has been doing great so far. It's amusing and strange how they made the devil the character someone you root for even though he pillaged towns and killed many people. Surprisingly, he's turning out to be a nice guy.
Annblob

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the future, humans live in perpetual fear of Titans, vicious man-eating monsters that come in all shapes and sizes.

...It takes place in the future? I must've missed something.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Ranking Yuyushiki below Photo Kano should be a chargeable offense.

if she liked it more then it probably would be higher. but she doesn't, oh well
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I am having trouble dropping things this year, nothing is sufficiently horrible enough to ditch outright (and really nothings is blowing me away either).

The closest on the drop front is Photo Kano, but the time slot falls for me so there is nothing else in competition, so it keeps hanging around.
I guess I look forward to:
Devil is a parttimer,
Chihayafura,
Oreimo,
And Gargantia most each week.

I still do not know what to make of Hentai Prince and Stony Cat, it seems to be telling an interesting story, but I really can not be sure. Maybe is just confusion overall.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

if she liked it more then it probably would be higher. but she doesn't, oh well

Her not ranking Photo Kano dead last and dropping it like the shit it is is bad enough.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Her not ranking Photo Kano dead last and dropping it like the shit it is is bad enough.

this really bugs you, doesn't it?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Pretty much, yeah. Yuyushiki may be an overused concept, but the jokes are funny; episode 4 was worth watching just for the bird scene. I'd have ranked Snafu quite a bit higher, too. Photo Kano, on the other hand, is probably the most boring thing I've ever watched, and should be ranked below anything that isn't actively offensive.

Attack on Titan is a relentlessly campy show that wants very badly to be taken seriously, and I just can't. Flowers of Evil is the same deal, but with wangst instead of camp; it tries so hard to be suspenseful and realistic that it just ends up being boring.

Agreed on Gargantia as the top show so far this season, though. Even though relatively little has happened so far, it looks really nice, the characters are likable and steadily developing, and I'm pretty confident the pace and plot will pick up soon. I read a rant a while ago about how the battle in the first episode was pointless, which was funny...like you said, it was intentionally mechanical and detached, because that's how Ledo felt about it. The dull distantness of it was the whole point.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like Gargantia, but I don't really see many special qualities to it. It's pretty, but I'm not getting a whole lot out of it beyond it being pretty and "stranger in a strange land".

I agree with you. I'm not really getting how this show is any different than many others that came before it. Maybe my expectations are set a bit too high.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Newtype RX-93 wrote:
I can't say anything about Space Bros. Flowers and Chihayafuru but my top 3 for this season only are:

1 Attack on Titan
2 Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
3 The Devil is a Part-Timer

These three titles from the Spring Season are pretty much my favorites so far as well. That third one - The Devil is a Part-Timer is the biggest surprise of the season for me and I never thought I'd enjoy it that much.

Attack on Titan imo is also one of the best with its pilot episode and most recent episode 5. Smile

Oreimo S2 is also one that impresses me with the latest episode. I also have hope for Railgun S as it follows the manga (just a bit slow right now) but I have faith in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Well well well, we agree on something. Yuyushiki might not be a great show but it is very good, and I'm loving it more and more with each passing episode. I'm so Moe for Yui.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like Gargantia, but I don't really see many special qualities to it. It's pretty, but I'm not getting a whole lot out of it beyond it being pretty and "stranger in a strange land".

Well I like that it is taking that and also the soldier adapting to normal life as a metaphor for entering society in general. I find it is a very creative way to portray this theme.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
- Gargantia
Ledo is So. Cute. XDDD His "Japanese" is adorable, and even Chamber gets a few chuckles out of me, such as at the end of the latest episode. With only one cours to work with though I think Ledo needs to get back to space soon so they can tie up that storyline. It's cute seeing him interact with the people on Earth but yeah... soon...

- Chihayafuru
Delightful as always, though getting a bit slow.

- Aku no Hana
I couldn't watch it. One episode and it was dropped. Didn't help that I didn't enjoy the manga either. It's just not my type of series.

- Uchuu Kyoudai
Don't worry-- Just wait for that delivery because it will come. Pico is great.

- Shingeki no Kyojin
One of my favorites of the season. It won't turn into a Titan-of-the-Week thing. I couldn't put down the manga and there are several scenes that I can't wait to see animated. One of them should be coming up within the next episode or two, depending on how long they decide to delve into Mikasa's past, and I'm sort of expecting the series to rise up in the ranks of this column next time. Mikasa kicks ass, btw.

- Valvrave
I'm watching it. Enjoying it enough to keep watching.

- Devil Survivor 2
Watched the first 4 episodes at a premier event so it took a while to get to an episode I hadn't already seen. It's certainly not a great series, but I'll stick with it if only to hear Kamiya.

- Karneval
Gorgeous cast. It's kept me entertained enough, and even if it didn't it's one of those series that I'll continue to watch regardless because the cast is that good. I'll never skip the ending theme either. KAmiYU <3 It's too bad Miyu kun wasn't able to perform at KiraFes this year or else we may have been able to hear "REASON" live before its release.

- Arata
I agree with Bamboo that the manga must be better than the anime. The anime isn't great, but I'll stick with it because it's by Watase Yuu. Won't skip the ending for this series either. OCD <3

Other than these, I'm also watching the second season of Azazel, which is great as expected.

Annblob wrote:
Quote:
In the future, humans live in perpetual fear of Titans, vicious man-eating monsters that come in all shapes and sizes.

...It takes place in the future? I must've missed something.

The series takes place in the past, though the timeline is one that is unique to the series and is not comparable with our interpretation of time.

Confirmed on Wiki: ※年号は作品世界独自のものを用いている。
(If you read Japanese and don't want to be spoiled, avoid reading the link.)
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Quote:
When lives are at stake, it doesn't seem wise to continue using these teenage misfits in combat, just to wait around and see if they'll get better or not. And yet, that's the entire crux of the show—waiting for our protagonists to get their situation together, to form the super team that we know they'll eventually be.

I'm pretty sure they explained that multiple times in the first 4 episodes alone. The JULIA/ JURIA System relies on the pilot's survival instincts in addition to being specifically tuned to DNA. Now, this group of "misfits" have exceptional high skills in their own field in addition to ABNORMALLY high survival instincts. It's just that they suck at teamwork.

No, I got that. But it still doesn't make any sense to send out kids who are still in school, who've underperformed in all their simulations. It doesn't matter that they all have high individual survival skills-- they're being asked to fight as a team. So, when your teamwork sucks, but you're being asked to fight as a team, it's still a terrible idea. The battlefield is not really the best place to let these teenagers figure out how to not die, regardless of how great their "survival instincts" are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11