• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Water World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Annblob wrote:
Quote:
In the future, humans live in perpetual fear of Titans, vicious man-eating monsters that come in all shapes and sizes.

...It takes place in the future? I must've missed something.

Sorry, that was poor wording on my behalf. I meant that to be like... in an era that was post-initial Titan. Which... yeah, I'll rewrite that sentence.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Despite season one is over, I would like to see Bamboo review Little Busters Very Happy Season two is where the best stuff happens Smile
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
I just realized there's no "Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat" on the Stream list. That's quite unfortunate. It's considerably better than some of the titles on that list. Get past episode 1 and it's much, much better. I am looking forward to upcoming episodes.

Oh, damn, that completely slipped past my radar. I guess I'll add it to the next one.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Photo Kano, on the other hand, is probably the most boring thing I've ever watched, and should be ranked below anything that isn't actively offensive.

Photo Kano IS actually offensive though, which is why it should be dead last. There may be more offensive shows, but nothing this season.

I'm mostly enjoying Leviathan, but the show really does become boring whenever it brings up the brother subplot that nobody cares about. Episode 5, which I'm in the middle of right now, is particularly bad at this.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Photo Kano, on the other hand, is probably the most boring thing I've ever watched, and should be ranked below anything that isn't actively offensive.

Photo Kano IS actually offensive though, which is why it should be dead last. There may be more offensive shows, but nothing this season.

Find it very..................... educational............ Nat Geo, baby!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm really liking Flowers of Evil which surprises me because I wasn't at all interested in the manga, and I wasn't even going to follow it until I saw screen shots of the show. I find it a little strange that people are having a problem with the pacing of the show because I think it is perfect, but maybe I would feel differently if I had read the manga.

I haven't had a chance to watch anything else yet, but I am excited to see Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet at # 1 because it's the show I was most looking forward to this season. I will have to make some time to watch it soon.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I knew from it's announcement that Gargantia was going to be a great show. I'm so happy to have been proven right.

The recaps to Space Brothers are a poor supplement to actually watching the series from the beginning, in my opinion.

Regarding Valvrave, I need to ask if you have ever seen a body-hopping, mech-flying teenage space vampire before? I sure have not. The fact that it plays on my personal likes for a story notwithstanding, it's quite a unique and entertaining show so far.

Another knock on the designs of the characters in Majestic Prince. I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
unready

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Much fuss has been made ... largely regarding its controversial animation style.

I'm not put off by the rotoscoping. Actually I'm impressed that they shot a whole live action series to make the animated series. I'm also kind of wondering why they dubbed over some of the original actors' voices with other voices.

It's not a comfortable series to watch, but the discomfort seems to be carefully measured not to turn people away too fast. If it doesn't go anywhere, Nakamura's torture-of-the-week will make an uninteresting and uncomfortable combination, but based on the recent review of the translated manga, apparently spoiler[Nanako figures out what's up and decides to fight Nakamura for control of Takao], which isn't a place I would have expected the story to go given the first few episodes, so I'm still interested.

Attack on [the] Titan[s]
Bamboo Dong wrote:
... Titans, vicious man-eating monsters ...

The fire-breathing, armored titan pretty much seemed an enormous hint to me that these things are some kind of fleshy mecha. In the episode that just aired, spoiler[Eren got eaten]. The preview for the next show seems to indicate spoiler[another forward time jump].
Bamboo Dong wrote:
It's a simple revenge show ...

I'm not so sure. If the titans were just monsters, okay, yeah. But there seems to be some mystery to be figured out, too.

Devil Survivor 2
Bamboo Dong wrote:
... some secret new app that downloads itself onto your phone ...

My understanding of the premise, sort of, is that Japan's best mystics and alchemists have honed their art to such a degree that they could code it into computer programs that anyone can use. Somehow someone has been handing the program out to teenagers to run on the cell phones. But mostly it seemed like another excuse to have teenagers and really irresponsible people who would never be hired by government agencies, but are somehow running super-secret fascist/paternalistic agencies, save the world. I'm surprised it wasn't one of the shows dropped immediately.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
It is nice to see The Stream back. I agree with pretty much all of Bamboo's rankings. This is my list.

1. Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - I like what I have watched so far. In my opinion this series has a chance to be the best series of the season because it has a bit of everything: intriguing story and setting, likeable characters, great animation and art, action and even moe elements.

2. Flowers of Evil - Fortunately for me this series has all the creepiness and oddness I expected. The atmosphere it has is also great. As far as its art style, I am cool with it. The story is too good to by bothered by the art style.

3. Oreimo 2 - I liked season one but did not love it. But season 2 has been very good so far, and I am liking and enjoying it more than I anticipated.

4. The Devil is a Part-Timer! - The premise seemed very dumb on paper to me, but I am surprised how much I am enjoying it. Its approach feels very fresh. I am really liking Sadao and Emi; they look so good together.

5. Attack on Titan - I like its intensity, and the animation and art are well done. I am intrigued by the premise, but the characters have not impressed me much. I hope it turns into an interesting anime and not a typical, boring shounen show.

6. OreGairu - I am enjoying how this series is trying to debunk the typical school anime. I hope it continues to do the same throughout.

7. HENNEKO - Its premise is crazy enough to enjoy, and its funny. I am guessing the creators want to also deal with some issues with human relations. I just hope the comedy and seriousness continue to mesh well together.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Thoughts on what I've watched so far from this season, listed in order of favourite to least.

Flowers of Evil: Ambivalent over the rotoscoping thing. Diving into the uncanny valley does work to set the feeling of detachment, but I think Nagahama could have done the same with designs based off what the manga currently looks like. His cinematography is just that good. Watching the anime invokes such a hard feeling of dread in Nakamura's actions, something I don't get out of the manga for the most part. That said the pacing for the first few episodes is almost too slow.

Chihayafuru: Hurrah, tournament arcs, everyone 'loves' those. I sort of want this to be over and done with right about now. For a set of team matches, the only real interesting ones in there are Chihaya's opponents. Still looked forward to each episode due to the sprinkling of Shinobu antics (and 3 weeks of Space Bros recaps). Just get to the inevitable Chihaya-Shinobu/Arata-Taichi matches before you run out of episodes...

Space Bros: Man, those 3 weeks of recaps were rather brutal. I had forgotten how much a this show was a part of my weekly routine, especially when it was right in the middle of an arc that was hitting its stride. As for the new arc, the series has this pretty much down to a well-exercised routine. Introduce misfit characters, fumble communications, reveal hidden depths, deliver an emotional punch. Also I have to say (minor 56 spoiler) spoiler[Brian Jay is one of the best characters in the show, despite having passed away years before the series actually started. It's rather amazing how much of an impact he's had on almost every major character.]

Devil is a Part-timer: At first the show gave us some pretty solid sit-com humor (surprisingly free of the usual otaku funny tropes and references). Then it actually started to develop its characters and remained just as funny. Then... that episode 5. This show is basically Slayers Next (and that's a pretty hefty compliment). Could this just be a first volume fluke, or does the series have what it takes to continually deliver?

Gargantia: I still have qualms over episode 3, but after 4 and 5 (plus Murata's interview) I like the direction that the series is moving toward -- and Urobuchi finally has his name attached to an anime that actually warms your heart. Kind of wondering how they're going to fill out the remaining episodes as it feels like the concept doesn't have the legs to fill out six or so episodes.

Attack on Titan: This is sure a Tetsuo Araki show. Much of the setting for Titan is sorta flimsy -- the walls, the 3D gear, the titans themselves -- so Araki does what he does best and goes four-to-the-floor with enough ridiculousness in direction to match the series itself. It's not high-brow, or anything that hasn't been done before... but raise your hand if you didn't have to pick your jaw up off the floor at the end of episode 4. Someone dub this and get it on TV.

Crime Edge: I have no idea why this show is actually as compelling as what it is. The first episode as a standalone was pretty charming, but the next few episodes have been set on jamming in as much distilled light novel as it possibly can -- clunky exposition, naked little girls, stilted fight scenes. It's probably the worst thing I'm watching, that's actually trying, but I can't put it down, at least not yet. Must be Iwai-chan being super moe, or something.

Valvrave: Sunrise is basically taking the Code Geass formula and pushing it into overdrive. It'll probably gleefully fly off the rails later on in the series. This is one of those 'watch with other people to feed off the absurdity' shows. Sidenote: Not sure if I agree with the idea of going to Gundam for better geo-politics as only 00 takes that title for the first season, and G doesn't come close to Valvrave's insanity.

Samurai Bride: Episode 3 was one of the dumbest episodes I've seen of anime. Offensively bad even.

Red Data Girl: Can't get into this one. The two leads have about as much charisma and on-screen chemistry as two clouds of inert gas. Dropped.

Arata: At first I thought this series would be about a guy from another cross-dressing and trying to rule/fool everyone while trying to find a legit successor. Then I read the first two volumes and realized that was just the set-up and it was more or less a shounen Fushigi Yuugi. Didn't feel the urge to read (or watch) any more. One part misplaced expectations, one part humdrum storytelling and characters. Dropped.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

Arata: At first I thought this series would be about a guy from another cross-dressing and trying to rule/fool everyone while trying to find a legit successor.

I'm enjoying the show so far but I have to admit I'd enjoy it a WHOLE lot more if that was an integral part of the plot(but not all of the plot).
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
Once again, I'm so impressed that you can even do a column like this. But I really appreciate it. The column and the talkback is always fun.

This season I'm actually watching more than 2 shows and thereby justifying my Crunchyroll subscription! Also, I can participate in this thread!

Attack on Titan: This has quickly become my favorite show this season, which surprises me because-man eating giants? Really?

The tone and fantastical European-like setting reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist. The animation is gorgeous, the action sequences are especially stunning (the people working on the show all had to watch Amazing Spider-Man in 3D for those flying-through-the-air sequences, according to NHK World's Imagination showcase of AoT. Glad that movie had a purpose besides allowing Sony to keep Spidey all to themselves!) The score is EPIC, if I may use that term, and the mystery of what the Titans really are along with the character's determination to survive is enough to keep me hooked.

Gargantia on the Verduous Planet: Great show. Ep 5 lagged, but the contrast between Ledo and the Gargantians is interesting. It could all use a bit of polish (will Amy develop any personal traits besides "genki girl"?) But it's been setting up its seem of integrating into society very well. Definitely one of the best shows this season.

My Teen Romance is as Bad as I Expected: I love the snarky comedy and self-aware trope aversions in the show so far. I suspect that Hachiman is more interested in people and would like more friends/peer recognition than he let's on. I'm not so sure about Yukino, but we haven't been privy to her inner snark. As long as it doesn't devolve into a mediocre harem comedy, I think its humor will make it worth watching.

The Devil is a Part Timer More fun than I expected it to be, but it's getting a bit bogged down by some average action inclinations in the latest episodes. Not that the action was bad at all, just a bit generic. I wonder where it'll go from here...

Flowers of Evil I actually love the rotoscoping, but the plot is moving from "teens acting like teens" (overblowing their problems and angst in an almost humorous manner, social awkwardness, spreading rumors about relationships that they aren't ready for) to "girl inflicts horrible, sadistic, manipulative emotional abuse on her classmate". It's disturbing, but part of the reason I'm watching it is because I find that girl so fascinating. What makes her tick? How did she become so damaged? What is she getting out of this, exactly?

Red Data Girl: This show is sooo pretty! And the main couple (well, girl and her bodyguard, I guess) are cute/interesting. The spiritualist stuff is undeveloped, and the ongoing plot is barely there. But I've only seen the first three eps. I think it might get better, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Valvrave: Who on Earth thought "Vampires *and* Giant Robots, what a great combination!" It's like peanut butter and ketchup. I'm sure it's edible, but why would you want to try it in the first place?

Majestic Prince: At least it doesn't have vampires! Seriously, the first few eps made me curious about these sad, memory-erased genetically modified kids. The character designs aren't great and the plot is lacking, but I feel bad enough for the kids to keep watching.
stardf29

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Time for another three months of "I wholeheartedly agree with some of Bamboo's opinions and wholeheartedly disagree with others"!

I most definitely cannot complain about Gargantia being top of the list. It is an amazing show with a great setting and some interesting looks into human nature. I also agree with her high rankings for The Devil is a Part-Timer and Muromi-san.

I have two main disagreements. First is Yuyushiki, which I'll just say is more that it's my type of show (and conversely, probably not Bamboo's type), so I'm not going to care too much about that.

Aside from that, though, I think My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU is much better, and is personally one of my favorites this season. I think that if one focuses too much on the surface plots, it can seem tiresome; where it starts to shine is when one starts looking at the characters and the ways they develop even over just these first handful of episodes. It's really more of a character study than anything, and I think it works great with that.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like Gargantia, but I don't really see many special qualities to it. It's pretty, but I'm not getting a whole lot out of it beyond it being pretty and "stranger in a strange land".

I agree with you. I'm not really getting how this show is any different than many others that came before it. Maybe my expectations are set a bit too high.

Same here. I had no expectations going in and so far it's ok. I certainly have nothing against it but at the same time I'm not looking forward to new episodes like I am with Titan, Flowers and to a lesser degree Part Timer. Maybe I'll just let it play out and check back in with it later on.
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Yuyushiki has a better plot than anything in the top 5, and it barely even has a plot
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11