Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvelous USA Considers Senran Kagura Burst's Digital Release


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 2885

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
Hah, his worry is very rational, because the reaction will be very irrational. They will be very brave to release it in the US, even digitally, and even though it is relatively tame compared to some other M games (no sex, no nudity).

Just look at all of the politically correct, progressive, feminist crap Dragon's Crown and creator Kamitani got solely because of Sorceress/Amazon, which started on Kotaku and whose sentiment then spread everywhere else among the english mainstream, even with dev site Gamasutra:
Quote:
With the Amazon, that pretty, petite face stuck on that massive body -- it's surreal and it cements the reality that the male gaze is at play here.
Rolling Eyes

If just one quite grown female character out of a sausage fest--never mind the irony or double standard of that fact--can cause this kind of shitstorm, what kind of reaction do you think Senran Kagura will get?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZeetherKID77



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 632

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
The only reason Dragon's Crown got all that attention was because Jason Schreier whined about it a year after people had looked at the character design for the sorceress, went "wow, that's excessive" and then looked past it because it's a Vanillaware title. His reaction was unwarranted and, like the majority of Kotaku's articles, late.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hardgear



Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
It's not all bad.

I bet the Dragon's Crown "controversy" didn't really do anything but give the game some free publicity and show it to people who otherwise would not have known about it. All these people running around butthurt about the game would not buy it anyway, so really the worst that can happen is the game will get more exposure with people who might buy it but would otherwise not have known about it.

Well, maybe... OTOH Senran Kagura is on a Nintendo console, and I would not put it above Nintendo to block it to protect their image.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZeetherKID77



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 632

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
You're forgetting that Code of Princess is on 3DS too, and the main character in that has a less than dignified outfit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hardgear



Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
I'm not forgetting anything.

There was no uproar about Code of Princess (well, some people shaking their heads and facepalming, but no "controversy"), thus Nintendo was not pressured to act.

If Senran Kagura can be released quietly then it will be the same. If not, you never know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4246

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Sure is Angry Straight Male and misogyny in here.

Quote:
Just look at all of the politically correct, progressive, feminist crap Dragon's Crown and creator Kamitani got solely because of Sorceress/Amazon, which started on Kotaku and whose sentiment then spread everywhere else among the english mainstream, even with dev site Gamasutra:


Puerile and atavistic trogdolytes like you and your immature screed of pure dross make me ashamed to be a gamer. It's people like you, so enamored with the machinations of your own phallus that you cannot thole any denial of gratuitious sexuality, that are holding gamin back as a whole.

No, I will not stop being pleonastic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell
Thread KillerThread Killer


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 3410

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Puerile and atavistic trogdolytes like you and your immature screed of pure dross make me ashamed to be a gamer. It's people like you, so enamored with the machinations of your own phallus that you cannot thole any denial of gratuitious sexuality, that are holding gamin back as a whole.
"Behold my ettanic and stupendous vocabulary! Cower before my mighty and hoity-toity words! Ye defend that I execrate, abhor and dislike; be ye as knaves, brutes, veritable typing glans! Be blamed, convicted, tweaked, drubbed, admonished, reproved and lambasted!"
Quote:
No, I will not stop being pleonastic.
"I am Mojo-jojo!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4246

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
Mock me all you want, I'm not dumbing myself down for the unwashed masses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hardgear



Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I am reminded of something...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thebluehammer



Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Gotta love the USA, where pulling someone out of their car and splatting their brain matter on the asphalt with a 12-guage is just fine for video games... but ninjas in bikinis... that's where we draw the line!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hardgear



Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
thebluehammer wrote:
Gotta love the USA, where pulling someone out of their car and splatting their brain matter on the asphalt with a 12-guage is just fine for video games... but ninjas in bikinis... that's where we draw the line!


And God forbid a nipple make an appearance, there would probably be less freaking out if the world were actually ending...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 2885

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Sure is Angry Straight Male and misogyny in here.

How can we be misogynists? We love women! Cool Including those who are close enough, well, for myself anyways Wink

Quote:
Quote:
Just look at all of the politically correct, progressive, feminist crap Dragon's Crown and creator Kamitani got solely because of Sorceress/Amazon, which started on Kotaku and whose sentiment then spread everywhere else among the english mainstream, even with dev site Gamasutra:


Puerile and atavistic trogdolytes like you and your immature screed of pure dross make me ashamed to be a gamer. It's people like you, so enamored with the machinations of your own phallus that you cannot thole any denial of gratuitious sexuality, that are holding gamin back as a whole.

No, I will not stop being pleonastic.

Laughing Must've touched a nerve there.

You should probably save that energy where it's needed, because I guarantee you, your progressive brethren are just different sides of the same puritanical coin and will quickly turn their anti-male gazey sites on you when they find out about your feti.. um, interesting proclivities.. which I've no problems with I might add.

Besides, weren't you all for Senran Kagura in the first place? Try asking one of your gender studies mates about that.

I suppose the only progress progressives are making is one towards a more coercive future. Replace troglodytic repression with proglodytic repression. (Seriously, I hope you realize that was what gave us alcohol prohibition)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4246

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You should probably save that energy where it's needed, because I guarantee you, your progressive brethren are just different sides of the same puritanical coin and will quickly turn their anti-male gazey sites on you when they find out about your feti.. um, interesting proclivities.. which I've no problems with I might add.


I won't deny the oppresive streak some radical leftists have. But I have a problem when people like you act like childish fanservice is so integral to gaming that it has to be there.

My problem with SK is how all the fanservice depends on reducing the agency of the characters and making badass girls into whimpering dolls.Seeing videos of this game makes me feel like a creepy stalker. The fanservice is simply gratuitous. I support freedom of speech so I support this game being releases, but I also hold the right to call it puerile dreck.

Quote:
How can we be misogynists?


Misogyny is the dislike of treating women as equal. You have expressed this viewpoint in the first post of this thread with your statement of "feminist crap". Feminism is a threat to your privelege and masculinity, so you rabidly hate it.

Unlike you, I am half-black and bisexual, and therefore am not cocooned in a soundproof bubble of luxurious privelege so dense I can't see two feet outside of my own viewpoint.

Quote:
I suppose the only progress progressives are making is one towards a more coercive future. Replace troglodytic repression with proglodytic repression. (Seriously, I hope you realize that was what gave us alcohol prohibition)


Pointing out your fascistic hatred of human equality is not "coercive", it's merely calling you out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VPedge



Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Sure is Angry Straight Male and misogyny in here.


No just no...lets get away from the keyboard now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4035

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
The only reason Dragon's Crown got all that attention was because Jason Schreier whined about it a year after people had looked at the character design for the sorceress, went "wow, that's excessive" and then looked past it because it's a Vanillaware title. His reaction was unwarranted and, like the majority of Kotaku's articles, late.


This. The Dragon's Crown stuff has been available to see for years. It's only Kotaku's click-bait trolling article that gave it any attention from the social justice warriors. And let's be honest here, it's going to sell even more now that it got such controversy because that's how these things tend to end. By trying to fight against it, they effectively gave it more money.

Chagen46 wrote:
Unlike you, I am half-black and bisexual, and therefore am not cocooned in a soundproof bubble of luxurious privelege so dense I can't see two feet outside of my own viewpoint.


The best part is you actually believe you're on the opposing side, yet you don't realize you would still be thrown under a bus by them without a second thought on grounds of being a man. And bisexuality is considered privileged, so I'm not sure why you brought that up as if it helps you any. It actually hurts you that you admitted to possessing that adaptive privilege which homosexual and straight people don't have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group