• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime with Disaster Scenes Face Changes After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Jesus [expletive] Christ people. Can we all get down from our pretentious internet soapboxes for just one god damn week!? For once in your bloody lives this isn't about you and your loud, self righteous ideals about censorship. It is about the people of Japan and how they feel. So please, just for a moment, try and show some bloody empathy. Do you think the people of Japan, in the wake of this tragedy, want to turn on their TV and see scenes of tsunamis and disasters? Hell no. There's a big difference between someone being forced to censor stuff and choosing to censor stuff because it's the right thing to do.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
It is censorship. It's moronic to suggest other wise. That's what it is. Whether or not you agree with it is beyond the point. I agree with the fact that freedom of expression shouldn't be comprimised due to tragedies. If they dont' want to air stuff right now, fine. But I'm reminded of how the Escape From New York DVD was canceled due to 9/11. There's a point where it's over kill. The only people who would buy that DVD were the people who knew the WTC was in it.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Jesus [expletive] Christ people. Can we all get down from our pretentious internet soapboxes for just one god damn week!? For once in your bloody lives this isn't about you and your loud, self righteous ideals about censorship. It is about the people of Japan and how they feel. So please, just for a moment, try and show some bloody empathy. Do you think the people of Japan, in the wake of this tragedy, want to turn on their TV and see scenes of tsunamis and disasters? Hell no. There's a big difference between someone being forced to censor stuff and choosing to censor stuff because it's the right thing to do.

Your'e the one on a soap box. Stop judging everyone from your high horse maybe. Like thoughts about movies being edited post-production have any connection to people's sympathies for the victims of this tragedy.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of everyone would agree with the censorships if they too were caught up in Japan during the disaster.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
to be expected i guess, similar things happened with tv shows after 9-11.

True. Man, I can barely remember that... but I'm glad they chose to do that, and so I'm glad Japan is doing the same with their tragedy.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
It is censorship. It's moronic to suggest other wise. That's what it is. Whether or not you agree with it is beyond the point. I agree with the fact that freedom of expression shouldn't be comprimised due to tragedies. If they don't' want to air stuff right now, fine. But I'm reminded of how the Escape From New York DVD was canceled due to 9/11. There's a point where it's over kill. The only people who would buy that DVD were the people who knew the WTC was in it.

censorship is when the government forces change to a product, this is just companies choosing to edit their product because they feel its in bad taste. there is a big difference
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, once again I lose respect for anime fans. You guys are being lame. Not airing re-runs (which means, they've already aired in full) depicting destruction is simply a show of respect and consideration. If someone you knew was in a very bad car accident, would you want show them whatever Final Destination movie it is that starts out with a multi-car pile up while they're in the hospital recovering the next day? I sure hope you wouldn't. Plus, the creators are choosing to change their own work. They're not being forced, they're being considerate, so this whole "evil censorship" thing is moot. Besides, most of this has absolutely no affect on you at all, so what gives? Just wait it out and I'm sure everything will go back to normal in due time.

The Goron Marshall wrote:
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of everyone would agree with the censorships if they too were caught up in Japan during the disaster.

Exactly. It's always easy to cast accusations on these kinds of things when one hasn't been there themselves.

Last edited by the Rancorous on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The anime I'm most reminded of is Yomigaeru Sora - Rescue Wings:
anime#6234

I remember how a number of films such as The Towering Inferno were suddenly hard to find after 911. But I think the most noteable was the removal of the Twin Towers from Spiderman even though they were in the trailer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_audiovisual_entertainment_affected_by_the_September_11_attacks
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
This is reminiscent of Adult Swim's Cowboy Bebop run. After 9/11, they took out the episode where the bomber was blowing up buildings. After the Space Shuttle disintegrated in the atmosphere, they took out the episode that has the Space Shuttle. Laughing
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It is about the people of Japan and how they feel. So please, just for a moment, try and show some bloody empathy. Do you think the people of Japan, in the wake of this tragedy, want to turn on their TV and see scenes of tsunamis and disasters?

I am being empathetic. I'm saddened by the people who lost their lives, but now is the time to start rebuilding and move on as normal.

If I was Japanese, I wouldn't care. In fact, I would welcome watching a scene with an earthquake or a tsunami because it would give me the opportunity to go "Oh, I wish the earthquake had ended as calmly as it did on TV."

Like I said before, people need to wake up and stop trying to cover up the fact that a tragedy occurred. I disagreed with the censorship after 9/11, and I still disagree with the similar censorship now.

the Rancorous wrote:
Plus, the creators are choosing to change their own work. They're not being forced, they're being considerate, so this whole "evil censorship" thing is moot.

They're not being considerate, they're being unnecessarily worried about stepping on the toes of other people's feelings... most of whom probably don't care what is shown on TV anyway.

Last edited by jmaeshawn on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
but now is the time to start rebuilding and move on as normal.

Now? Um, 'now' won't happen for a very long time. They're desperately searching for survivors, recovering dead bodies, are being wary of a possible another earthquake and tsunami, are carefully watching the nuclear plants, waiting for more help to arrive...

...And are still busy trying to clear away all of the debris. There is too much to do before anyone can start going back to 'normal', which can take years, especially for the places that had been hit the hardest.

Not to mention, has anyone ever thought once that maybe the majority of people's televisions and theaters had been destroyed? And even if they weren't, anime is the very last thing on their minds.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
If I was Japanese, I wouldn't care. In fact, I would welcome watching a scene with an earthquake or a tsunami because it would give me the opportunity to go "Oh, I wish the earthquake had ended as calmly as it did on TV."

And that will leave you in a good mood for the rest of the day?
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Yeah. It's called an "escape from reality" for a reason.

The Goron Marshall wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
but now is the time to start rebuilding and move on as normal.

Now? Um, 'now' won't happen for a very long time. There is too much to do before anyone can start going back to 'normal', which can take years, especially for the places that had been hit the hardest.

I think I read on ABC news that, unless the nuclear reactor completely melts down, and if they start fixing things now, everything will be completely back to normal by September at the latest.

Last edited by jmaeshawn on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Yeah. It's called an "escape from reality" for a reason.

Yeah, sure. I'd be happy because at least the tiny fictional people in the box got away with it without any permanent damage so it's ok that I lost my house, all my possessions, and maybe even family and friends. Hey, if they are okay, why should I be depressed? -_-
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:

Yeah, sure. I'd be happy because at least the tiny fictional people in the box got away with it without any permanent damage so it's ok that I lost my house, all my possessions, and maybe even family and friends. Hey, if they are okay, why should I be depressed? -_-

I'm talking about the people who are actually able to watch a show with an earthquake or tsunami. The people who might be offended by seeing an earthquake or tsunami on TV aren't able to watch TV anyway, and those who live in the non-affected areas of Japan, but have family who were affected need the fantasy escape of "what should have happened."

And obviously the people watching it didn't lose all their possessions, since they have a TV with some type of subscription to TV service, electricity to power it, and a home to watch it in.

Last edited by jmaeshawn on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6