• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime with Disaster Scenes Face Changes After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Yeah, sure. I'd be happy because at least the tiny fictional people in the box got away with it without any permanent damage so it's ok that I lost my house, all my possessions, and maybe even family and friends. Hey, if they are okay, why should I be depressed? -_-

Let's just say that if I lost everything, except my life, family, and friends, of course I'd love to go to a friend's house, sit on their couch, have a nice cup of cappuccino, and enjoy some anime. Of course, there are also those who'd rather sit on a pile of wood and metal for the whole night while amplifying their trauma.
But then you could argue that we're culturally different and crap, but let's not forget that ultimately we're all humans and comfort is generally what we want after or during harsh times.

Last edited by egoist on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:

Yeah, sure. I'd be happy because at least the tiny fictional people in the box got away with it without any permanent damage so it's ok that I lost my house, all my possessions, and maybe even family and friends. Hey, if they are okay, why should I be depressed? -_-

I'm talking about the people who are actually able to watch a show with an earthquake or tsunami. Obviously the people watching it didn't lose all their possessions, since they have a TV, electricity to power it, and a home to watch it in.

What about their people who had families and friends who died in the tsunami or who were injured in it? Don't they count?
6Hokage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The stupidest thing ever. As if before seeing a movie or a show you just forget everything bad in your life, and then seeing it happening on the screen bursts your memory open.

Then edit out all scenes of any death from everywhere. People who's relatives were shot or eaten by a giant monster could feel themselves uncomfortable dakara.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Stop judging everyone from your high horse maybe.

Damn right I'm judging these people. These people are acting like children. Their heads are so far in the clouds of their little self centred world of vague internet ideals that they've lost all connection to reality. It's a little sickening that we apparently can't just for once, in the wake of this disaster, use a little common sense. But no, as usual it's going to turn into a big, masturbatory discussion about the evils of censorship.

jmaeshawn wrote:
If I was Japanese, I wouldn't care.

I've got news for you. You're not Japanese. You didn't live through this disaster. You're in absolutely no position to say whether people who did would care. You have absolutely no right to tell others how they should deal with their grief.

6Hokage wrote:
The stupidest thing ever. As if before seeing a movie or a show you just forget everything bad in your life, and then seeing it happening on the screen bursts your memory open.

Of course it [expletive] reminds you. No, you don't 'forget everything' but obviously, especially if you're watching a movie, you aren't constantly thinking about the disaster. Hell, trying not to think about the disaster may well be the reason why one is watching a movie. When you see something that reminds you of it though it brings it right back to the front of your mind.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
It's just that, while you are sitting in front of the TV, trying to get your mind off things that make you sad, the last thing you want is to be reminded why you want to escape from reality in the first place. I'm not saying that this censorship should go on in eternum. People should face their fears. But not so soon. Give these people some rest.

Imagine if you were raped. Would you like to be forced to continue wearing the clothes you where wearing when it happened? Or if you were in a train accident and still had to take the train everyday?

It takes time to get over these things. Precautions have to be taken to avoid traumatic distress, even more so if it is a significant percentage of the nation that has been afflicted and if you can do something to reduce this trauma.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

jmaeshawn wrote:
If I was Japanese, I wouldn't care.

I've got news for you. You're not Japanese. You didn't live through this disaster. You're in absolutely no position to say whether people who did would care. You have absolutely no right to tell others how they should deal with their grief.

I didn't live through this disaster, but I had to go through a hurricane, and have been mostly describing how I felt after the hurricane and putting it in terms of how the Japanese people must have similar feelings after this.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel, nor do I appreciate you telling me how I should have felt.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:

I think I read on ABC news that, unless the nuclear reactor completely melts down, and if they start fixing things now, everything will be completely back to normal by September at the latest.

No. By pouring sea water into the core as a last-ditch resort to cool it down, they have effectively killed that core. That core will never be used again and never generate electricity.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
I didn't live through this disaster, but I had to go through a hurricane, and have been mostly describing how I felt after the hurricane and putting it in terms of how the Japanese people must have similar feelings after this.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel, nor do I appreciate you telling me how I should have felt.

You can feel as you please. I never said otherwise. Just don't presume to tell those going through this disaster how they should feel.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
While making no judgments one way or the other on the necessity of doing this, it is definitely going to affect Madoka, which has already featured quite a few scenes of a destroyed and flooded city...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
This is reminiscent of Adult Swim's Cowboy Bebop run. After 9/11, they took out the episode where the bomber was blowing up buildings. After the Space Shuttle disintegrated in the atmosphere, they took out the episode that has the Space Shuttle. Laughing

I wouldn't really lol about those, both sensible and tasteful decisions.

Cowboy Funk featured twin towers being bombed and the bomber was destroying buildings as a war against capitalism.
And I remember well that the Shuttle featured in Wild Horses was actually the Columbia- the very shuttle that had just gone down, the first time I watched that episode again after the shuttle went down I shivered a bit.

It would simply be in bad taste to air episodes that can aggravate already frayed nerves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with canceling the re-run of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. As great of series that it was, that hits way too close to home since it's actually about a devastating earthquake, plus it's just a rerun anyway. However, the rest of it seems pretty over-reactionary and trivial though. I understand why they're doing it but I think it's sad that they believe so many people incapable of separating reality from their fiction. Sad
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
As a 9/11 eyewitness (I was at work in one of the buildings closest to the WTC when it happened), I can honestly say it was about two years before I could watch any live action or animated footage of the towers without shutting it off. I still remember the screams of the first unlucky people out of our building who came upon things best left undetailed, and seeing the horrific sight of the towers when I got out - and I didn't even see the worst of it or lose anyone. I don't think this is Big Brother in action. It's giving people a chance to watch things besides news when they need a break from it without having to worry about being accidentally "ambushed" for a while.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Damn right I'm judging these people. These people are acting like children. Their heads are so far in the clouds of their little self centred world of vague internet ideals that they've lost all connection to reality. It's a little sickening that we apparently can't just for once, in the wake of this disaster, use a little common sense. But no, as usual it's going to turn into a big, masturbatory discussion about the evils of censorship.

You just seem to be taking this opportunity to do some pompous grandstanding to boost your ego, using a tragedy to do it. It's ridiculous. Tsunamis and disasters are a huge part of Japanese fiction in general. It's kind of engrained into the culture due to a history of tsunamis and World War II. To expect everything to suddenly get censored is ridiculous. Even Ponyo was centered around a tsunami. Should they pull that off the shelves? I understand not wanting to air stuff on television right now, which is a fine decision by me, but if people actually have to permanently alter their works, that's going too far. And to call being against censorship a "vague internet ideal" is down right scary.

Last edited by jsyxx on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This has happened before in previous similar situations. http://www.serebii.net/anime/banned.shtml Scroll down to the bottom, and you'll see that Pokemon banned a episode, that has never been aired, because it was considered insensitive to show an episode featuring earthquakes right after bad real life earthquakes. The episodes you're missing will most likely be released on the DVD, and Japan seems to release those pretty quickly, so it's not like you'll never see them. And I agree with someone earlier who mentioned Whitebeard in One Piece. If his story hadn't already been finished, that would probably be edited as well.

I'm anti-censorship myself, but I see it this way: If you've just been through a hellish time, you don't want to watch something that reminds you of it. It's like going through a breakup, and deleting the song that was yours and your ex's song from your music collection.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, at this rate, I'm willing to say that nearly everyone here, regardless of which side, is overreacting.

Where did it say that these edits are going to be permanent? That is what everyone here is assuming. If anything, they're probably just going to be temporary and things will return once everything settles down there.

Of course that cannot be said for certain things still being produced and having such scenes changed during production, but is it going to affect everything like you all assume it will? I don't think so.

I don't see why people are getting so up-tight about this, especially because we don't live in Japan and therefore have no say in what they show, leading to never-ending debates between both sides.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6