• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Last Unicorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rarely in anime do we see such variation in the female figure, such unattractive curve-less bodies, such horrible hairstyles, or so many un-plucked eyebrows.

Exactly what helps make Princess Jellyfish so exceptional, and I don't think enough people comment on that aspect of this series. For the longest time since I can remember, it seemed like a rule for it to be okay to have both pretty-boys and nerdy-boys in Anime but all the girls must be attractive-looking or at least cute (take a good look at Genshiken and you'll see what I mean). To have the girls look so realistically diverse like they do here, it's pleasantly surprising. Aside from that, it's really just a solidly-made series with the right amount of comedy and everything, although admittedly there was clearly more story to tell after where it ended.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree with previous posters. I watched all of Jellyfish, and right up until the end I would have said "Shelf Worthy" - but it just dangles there so limply in the finale, that it ruins the show.

Its based on an ongoing Manga series, so there is still more tale to be told, but then why animate it now? Ugh.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Yeah Gundam Unicron is an amazing show and very much worth the high price of admission.

and its even better if you've seen the shows that precede it.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
Its based on an ongoing Manga series, so there is still more tale to be told, but then why animate it now? Ugh.

It's really the standard way. Most mangas are animated while they're still ongoing, meaning they're still "hot" and successful. They rarely wait for a series to be finished (which can take years) to animate it, and risk that it will be forgotten before.

Plus, they only have a certain number of episodes, depending all on kind of stuff (production planing, sponsors etc). Sometimes they simply cannot animate all the content of a manga, especially if a series has only 11 episodes, but even 24 episodes are rarely enough. Depending on the success of the first season, a second, third etc. might be produced.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
Damn. I'd really like to watch Unicorn, but these days I'm really not in a position to commit to watching the hundred-and-something-odd preceding episodes' worth of UC, or any significant portion thereof. The review makes it sound like I'm really missing out though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
Rarely in anime do we see such variation in the female figure, such unattractive curve-less bodies, such horrible hairstyles, or so many un-plucked eyebrows.

Exactly what helps make Princess Jellyfish so exceptional, and I don't think enough people comment on that aspect of this series. For the longest time since I can remember, it seemed like a rule for it to be okay to have both pretty-boys and nerdy-boys in Anime but all the girls must be attractive-looking or at least cute (take a good look at Genshiken and you'll see what I mean). To have the girls look so realistically diverse like they do here, it's pleasantly surprising.

To be fair, Genshiken has cute girls because it's aimed at men. Whereas Princess Jellyfish has cute guys (Kuronosuke, Shuu, Yoshio [Benz guy]) because it's aimed at women.

I do love Kuragehime, but it didn't do anything to further gender appearances compared to Genshiken other than flip-flop the appearances for men/women.

EDIT: Also, Kuragehime sold around 300 copies per volume. It is likely to never get a second season. But that's because the fanbase in Japan didn't support it. Brains Base did all they could, but I don't think much of anything besides Eden of the East and Nodame have sold well as far as Noitamina stuff goes. Shiki suffers the same fate (though that at least had a complete end).
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to start watching Unicorn soon since I'm almost done watching virtually every Mobile Suit Gundam anime in the Universal Century that came out before it (It's taken a while). So hopefully I'll be able to catch all of the references, but I'm a little worried since it's been a while since I saw some of the earliest shows (The original Mobile Suit Gundam through Double Zeta in particular are a little fuzzy to me). Hopefully I'll at least be able recognize the references when I see them even if I can't remember them right now (I guess it all depends on how detailed or complex they are).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Damn. I'd really like to watch Unicorn, but these days I'm really not in a position to commit to watching the hundred-and-something-odd preceding episodes' worth of UC, or any significant portion thereof. The review makes it sound like I'm really missing out though.

Earth Federation: Technically rulers of the solar system due to years of mismanagement (mainly their habit of staffing psychopaths to run their army) it's weakened considerably and no longer has anywhere near the power it did during the One Year War.

Sleeves: Another remnant of the Zeon (an army of colonist based off of the Nazis) due to years of getting defeated constantly, Zeon/Sleeves has nowhere near the power it did during the one year war. They have a habit of dropping stuff on the Earth killing millions of people.

The author Harutoshi Fukui is a best selling author known for his far right beliefs about how Japan must shed its pacifist belief and return back to the days of Imperial Japanese.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/09/international/asia/09fukui.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The author Harutoshi Fukui is a best selling author known for his far right beliefs about how Japan must shed its pacifist belief and return back to the days of Imperial Japanese.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/09/international/asia/09fukui.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

The applicability of those views to reality aside, the article gave me hope that Unicorn's story will have a distinct... personality, I suppose. Tempting.

So are you saying that aside from the references, as long as I know the Federation and Sleeves' backgrounds, I'm not going to be all that hampered in my enjoyment of the show?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To be fair, Genshiken has cute girls because it's aimed at men. Whereas Princess Jellyfish has cute guys (Kuronosuke, Shuu, Yoshio [Benz guy]) because it's aimed at women.

I do love Kuragehime, but it didn't do anything to further gender appearances compared to Genshiken other than flip-flop the appearances for men/women.

Believe me, I'm aware of the target audiences for both series, but despite that it's still rare for me personally to see any series in general that stars truly geeky- or realistic-looking women. For instance, I can only think of a couple of Animes that feature an overweight girl in the cast (namely Witchblade and Princess Nine). Maybe it is kind of a flip-flop to Genshiken, but compared to everything else that still makes Princess Jellyfish a change in pace and does further gender appearances.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Yoshio [Benz guy]

Oh, is that his name? Very Happy

Oh, I want the Kuragehime manga to be licensed so badly! Especially since I read that spoiler[Chieko's mother reacts in the complete opposite way to the otaku girls in the manga than in the anime. As in, condemns them for being a group of 30+ unemployed otaku and tries to kick em out of the house so she can sell it for redevelopment (I think) rather than just saying "oh, I'm not going to sell the house, continue on living here".]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
I loved Princess Jellyfish, but it did end a bit abruptly. It just seems that it was setting it up for another season. I'm hoping Funi puts it out on DVD because I think it is shelf-worthy.

As far as Blacksmith I watched it here on ANN and got maybe 8-9 episodes in and gave up on it. I thought the characters looked nice, but that was about it. So many things annoyed me about it, like Cecily announcing all the time that she belonged to the house of blah blah blah a knight of the blah blah and so on. Then there's stuff like let's all pause and not attack while Cecily's girl pal transforms into a sword. I thought it started out so-so and just went downhill from there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
This Shelf Life reminds me:

Quote:

Ya guys forgot The Last Unicorn release on Feb 22! Wink
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

The applicability of those views to reality aside, the article gave me hope that Unicorn's story will have a distinct... personality, I suppose. Tempting.

So are you saying that aside from the references, as long as I know the Federation and Sleeves' backgrounds, I'm not going to be all that hampered in my enjoyment of the show?

I wouldn't know as I know little about Gundam Unicorn, I have never seen an episode and the only line I know is about how apparently the colonies have replaced God with Zeon (in other words they know worship Space Nazis).

Personally I am not a huge fan of cynical works like Zeta, or Victory, and from what I heard Gundam Unicorn is made in the same style.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

I wouldn't know as I know little about Gundam Unicorn, I have never seen an episode and the only line I know is about how apparently the colonies have replaced God with Zeon (in other words they now worship Space Nazis).

Personally I am not a huge fan of cynical works like Zeta, or Victory, and from what I heard Gundam Unicorn is made in the same style.

it is, it feels like Tomino's work through and through. Which is probably why everyone is raving about it. This is hands down the best Gundam has been since he left the meta-series. Zeta only really gets cynical at the end where spoiler[like, everybody dies.]The First episode of Unicorn kinda reminded me of F91,spoiler[ theres a lot of people dying because of fighting in colony. half a class full of college students is vaporized, and we see some individuals die in beam rifle blasts.]

I don't see the replacement of God with Zeon though. Most of the people in the show don't have any kind of reverence for Zeon. At least as far as I've seen. there was a scene where spoiler[ Puru 12 talks to Banagher how the people in their Zeon colony believe in God, and how Zeon is trying to bring back the belief in God. but it was for about two minutes and its not really what they were fighting for. ]

I don't really feel that Zeon were space Nazis, even in the original series, they're meant to evoke the Nazis in terms of dress, and that Sieg Zeon speech. I don't recall Zeon ever doing anything more sinister than anything the federation did. Added on top of that is that neither side is portrayed as bad, both are as harmful to the populace. maybe its just my western education on WWII("Nazis are Evil!").

In Zeta its much more straightforward, the Titans are evil, they're the ones who need to be stopped, while in the original it was a tad more grey, there were good and bad guys on both sides.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7