• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Last Unicorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

The applicability of those views to reality aside, the article gave me hope that Unicorn's story will have a distinct... personality, I suppose. Tempting.

So are you saying that aside from the references, as long as I know the Federation and Sleeves' backgrounds, I'm not going to be all that hampered in my enjoyment of the show?

I actually believe it's an ideal introduction to Gundam (except for the price; that planned DVD release can't come soon enough). In my view the first episode explains everything one needs to know in order to be invested in the story.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
MY LITTLE PONY, REPRESENT. *fistbump*

I collect them ^-^ any other collectors around?

I don't collect them any more, but when I was a kid I had the paradise estate!

enurtsol wrote:
egoist wrote:
Quote:
First, far too much screen time is devoted to discussing the main character's breast size.

Indeed. They should have focused on Aria's breasts too.

Alas, there's never enough time! Laughing

It's just Aria's breast are so small it's like the characters are talking about nothing... a show about nothing... so Sacred Blacksmith is like Seinfeld?

mangamuscle wrote:
One error in the review, Lisa does not spoiler[have a crush for Luke, but for Aria, the demonsword]

It's confusing because there are two Lisas, but... what are you talking about? The blacksmith's assistant Lisa spoiler[totally blushes and freaks out when he gives her that tiny hat! I took that as a kind of crush. Plus she essentially has an unofficial "date" with Luke in one episode.]

maaya wrote:
Sepherest wrote:
I didn't hate it or anything, but the manga's so much better...

That's almost always the case. Among all the anime adaptions that only cover a small part of their manga originals (and therefore will never tell a complete story), Princess Jellyfish is imho among the better ones.

If that anime was meant to sell more volumes of manga... I am sold! I wonder if some clever publisher will pick it up soon...? (Or already has and I missed the news.)

utawoutau wrote:
I agree with previous posters. I watched all of Jellyfish, and right up until the end I would have said "Shelf Worthy" - but it just dangles there so limply in the finale, that it ruins the show.

Its based on an ongoing Manga series, so there is still more tale to be told, but then why animate it now? Ugh.

I didn't hate the ending... I could tell they weren't going to try and wrap things up. To me the ending just said "We'll do another season when we get the money..." Although now everything is super-crazy, it might be a long wait.

Megiddo wrote:
EDIT: Also, Kuragehime sold around 300 copies per volume. It is likely to never get a second season. But that's because the fanbase in Japan didn't support it.

I suspect that women in Japan are perhaps not quite as enthusiastic DVD collectors as their male counterparts. I'd put my money on a live action adaptation sooner than a second season. How well is that manga selling?

Big Hed wrote:
Damn. I'd really like to watch Unicorn, but these days I'm really not in a position to commit to watching the hundred-and-something-odd preceding episodes' worth of UC, or any significant portion thereof. The review makes it sound like I'm really missing out though.

I haven't seen a hundred and something episodes of Gundam though... I said in the review, I think UC is a good jumping-on point.

enurtsol wrote:
This Shelf Life reminds me:

Quote:

Ya guys forgot The Last Unicorn release on Feb 22! Wink

Does that count as anime...? I didn't get a screener, but it could happen!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
This Shelf Life reminds me:

Quote:

Ya guys forgot The Last Unicorn release on Feb 22! Wink

YES! I was just starting to think I was the only person who clicked on this week's shelf life fully expecting a review of the newly release Blu-Ray.

The disappointment at discovering there was no Last Unicorn review made the little 6 year old girl in my cry. I'm very curious as to how that old movie looks on blu-ray, and what's on that 2nd combo disc.

And I don't think anyone would fault you for reviewing the Last Unicorn as anime - it may have an English cast and writer, but I'm fairly certain just about all the animation crew are Japanese. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084237/fullcredits#cast I forget what studio did it though. I grew up with a crappy VHS - I'd love a good review on whether or not I should buy the blu ray.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
The disappointment at discovering there was no Last Unicorn review made the little 6 year old girl in my cry.

I think that movie made me cry when I was a six year old girl... isn't it really sad?

Fortunately I have this free Amazon Prime membership thanks to my university job...
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

The Last Unicorn was produced by Rankin-Bass and animated by Topcraft. I count it as one of my personal favorite animated works from the 1980s. The new Blu-Ray is good and cheap too.

The ending still moves me a bit. But I would call it more bittersweet than sad.

littlegreenwolf wrote:

The disappointment at discovering there was no Last Unicorn review made the little 6 year old girl in my cry. I'm very curious as to how that old movie looks on blu-ray, and what's on that 2nd combo disc.

The second disc is simply the DVD from the 25th anniversary release, but the Blu-Ray disc has extras old and new for the occasion. This I'll indulge in linking this interview recently done with Mr. Peter Beagle; I had the privilege to conduct it and much is said about the new release, the recent graphic novel, and other things.

The HD transfer is about as good as can be expected. As usual, Blu-ray.com offers a good analysis of how things turned out.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Big Hed wrote:
Damn. I'd really like to watch Unicorn, but these days I'm really not in a position to commit to watching the hundred-and-something-odd preceding episodes' worth of UC, or any significant portion thereof. The review makes it sound like I'm really missing out though.

I haven't seen a hundred and something episodes of Gundam though... I said in the review, I think UC is a good jumping-on point.

the exact number is 140 episodes of Universal Century gundam and 1 movie. Its not really important, although i do like the little things, like, the mobile suits piloted on the Nahel Argama are generic versions of the Zeta Gundam. Or that the Tank-like mobile suits piloted by the ECOAS are of the same type used by the protagonist in the begining of F91, this sort of reverence for the original series along with the character designs is what i like most about Unicorn so far.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

I suspect that women in Japan are perhaps not quite as enthusiastic DVD collectors as their male counterparts. I'd put my money on a live action adaptation sooner than a second season. How well is that manga selling?
Well, I think it would be better to say that women in Japan are not avid DVD collectors if there isn't any hint of BL. Shows like Hakuouki, Hetalia, Sengoku Basara, and DRRR!! all sold quite well due to a prominent female fanbase.

And it looks like Kuragehime vol. 6 sold 100k copies, which is pretty dern good for a josei manga. I think you're right that a live-action adaptation is more likely.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

And I don't think anyone would fault you for reviewing the Last Unicorn as anime - it may have an English cast and writer, but I'm fairly certain just about all the animation crew are Japanese. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084237/fullcredits#cast I forget what studio did it though.

Topcraft, which would later become.... DUN dun DUN.......

Prof. Marc Hairston wrote:

Two years later (summer 1996) I can finally put the matter to rest. Thanks for Nobutoshi Ito and Aiko Shinkawa who helped with the original text from the Nausicaa Roman Album, and Ryo-san from the Miyazaki mailing list who helped by turning up an article on the history of Studio Ghibli. Topcraft did work on The Last Unicorn, The Hobbit, The Return of the King, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, all of which were Rankin-Bass Productions. After that they were hired by Animage and Hayao Miyazaki to do Nausicaa. After Nausicaa was completed the core of Topcraft animators formed the new Studio Ghibli. (Exactly whether Topcraft went out of business and Studio Ghibli was a new company or whether they just reorganized the existing company and chose a new name isn't clear.) So although Miyazaki had nothing to do with The Last Unicorn, there is still a touch of Ghibli style in The Last Unicorn.

GWOtaku wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

The Last Unicorn was produced by Rankin-Bass and animated by Topcraft. I count it as one of my personal favorite animated works from the 1980s. The new Blu-Ray is good and cheap too.

The ending still moves me a bit. But I would call it more bittersweet than sad.

And a tinge feeling of beastiality! (He seems to love that unicorn a bit too much for comfort.) Laughing

Nice interview.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Considering that every single episode of Gundam Unicorn was surely ridiculously expensive and labor-intensive compared to the average episode of any TV series, it's not much of a surprise to see the OVA look so good. The fact that it's being adapted from an already completed set of novels, which usually isn't the case with most Gundam projects, doesn't exactly hurt either.

I agree that it works quite well as a relatively self-contained introduction to the property as a whole, with a few references for longtime fans and all, but...like I've mentioned before, there's something of a double-edged sword behind the concept of not taking any significant creative risks at all and instead trying to cover a lot of already familiar territory. As much as I'm enjoying it, the implications of that don't necessarily thrill me in the long run.

animehermit wrote:
...I don't recall Zeon ever doing anything more sinister than anything the federation did...

How about dropping colonies on millions of people, using poison gas and chemical weapons or killing the very space colonists Zeon claims to represent? Not to mention that they're ruled -at least most of the time- by what is essentially a self-serving kleptocracy where nepotism is the norm.

The Federation might be incompetent and reactionary, in that order, but they're still far less murderous than Zeon. Not that there aren't individuals within Zeon who have been portrayed as generally good people but it's actually quite hard to wave away the atrocities of the faction they're fighting for.

Last edited by nightjuan on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
I hated each and every one of those song numbers of The Last Unicorn when I was little (I remember distinctly always keeping the remote near by so I could fast forward through them) but still, hating the music never stopped me from loving it. I guess it and my old Little Mermaid tape (Toei's 1975 adaption - another treasure from my childhood) were my first anime. I always thought the two looked similar, and nothing at all like my Disney movies. There was a fairy tail show shown on Nickelodeon full of old Fairy Tale adaptions I would link to the style as well now that I think about it. I find it funny most all my fairy tale/fantasy stuff was anime. I wonder how many other little American girls grew up on this stuff.

Looking back on it now in terms to that unrelated Toei Little Mermaid I remember being REALLY confused when the Disney movie came out and the Mermaid didn't die in the end. It seems all my anime when I was little made me cry - but in good ways I like to think. Great, now I have to go see if I can get the Toei Little Mermaid on dvd now that I've remembered it.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
EDIT: Also, Kuragehime sold around 300 copies per volume. It is likely to never get a second season. But that's because the fanbase in Japan didn't support it. Brains Base did all they could, but I don't think much of anything besides Eden of the East and Nodame have sold well as far as Noitamina stuff goes. Shiki suffers the same fate (though that at least had a complete end).
How did Honey and Clover do? I'd assumed it had been OK, as it got a second run.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

animehermit wrote:
...I don't recall Zeon ever doing anything more sinister than anything the federation did...

How about dropping colonies on millions of people, using poison gas and chemical weapons or killing the very space colonists Zeon claims to represent? Not to mention that they're ruled -at least most of the time- by what is essentially a self-serving kleptocracy where nepotism is the norm.

The Federation might be incompetent and reactionary, in that order, but they're still far less murderous than Zeon. Not that there aren't individuals within Zeon who have been portrayed as generally good people but it's actually quite hard to wave away the atrocities of the faction they're fighting for.

first off, the dropping of colonies was done by Later iterations of Zeon, mostly the 2nd and 3rd neo-Zeon movements. I was referring to the original Zeon of Mobile Suit Gundam, not of any movements that followed.

second, gassing and using chemical weapons wasn't Zeon at all, it was the Titans, the Earth Federation Group. Which were the antagonists of Zeta Gundam.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I hated each and every one of those song numbers of The Last Unicorn when I was little (I remember distinctly always keeping the remote near by so I could fast forward through them) but still, hating the music never stopped me from loving it. I guess it and my old Little Mermaid tape (Toei's 1975 adaption - another treasure from my childhood) were my first anime. I always thought the two looked similar, and nothing at all like my Disney movies.

That the mermaid turned to soap bubbles, and Swan Lake, and the Xmas goodie I suggested to Mike Toole, The Little Match Girl. Laughing

littlegreenwolf wrote:

There was a fairy tail show shown on Nickelodeon full of old Fairy Tale adaptions I would link to the style as well now that I think about it.

Ah, Grimm's Fairy Tales. I like the opening theme. The Li'l Bits, Maya the Bee, The Little Koala.... Laughing

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Great, now I have to go see if I can get the Toei Little Mermaid on dvd now that I've remembered it.

Good luck. Smile

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
first off, the dropping of colonies was done by Later iterations of Zeon, mostly the 2nd and 3rd neo-Zeon movements. I was referring to the original Zeon of Mobile Suit Gundam, not of any movements that followed.
The intro to the first Gundam definitely shows that they dropped some piece of big space construction on at least one earth city.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I hated each and every one of those song numbers of The Last Unicorn when I was little (I remember distinctly always keeping the remote near by so I could fast forward through them) but still, hating the music never stopped me from loving it. I guess it and my old Little Mermaid tape (Toei's 1975 adaption - another treasure from my childhood) were my first anime. I always thought the two looked similar, and nothing at all like my Disney movies.

That the mermaid turned to soap bubbles, and Swan Lake, and the Xmas goodie I suggested to Mike Toole, The Little Match Girl. Laughing

littlegreenwolf wrote:

There was a fairy tail show shown on Nickelodeon full of old Fairy Tale adaptions I would link to the style as well now that I think about it.

Ah, Grimm's Fairy Tales. I like the opening theme. The Li'l Bits, Maya the Bee, The Little Koala.... Laughing

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Great, now I have to go see if I can get the Toei Little Mermaid on dvd now that I've remembered it.

Good luck. Smile

Yes! That's the opening to the show! You just sent me back to being 5 years old and rooted in front of the tv every time that show came on. Oh man the nostalgia hit I'm in right now. HOW DO I OWN THIS?!

And I looked up the Toei Little Mermaid dvd release and found THIS. I was planning on making my own dvd cover for it (that thing is atrocious) wile about to click add to cart when I read some comments and discovered that they took out a good 4 minutes of this release because of bare breasts and the sea witch treating to cut out the little mermaid's tounge. No, no no. That sea witch scared the crap out of me when I was little, but she was awesome. I need the horror to still be there, and as to the topless mermaids - I remember being in wide awe as a little girl to see the mermaids just swimming around topless. Then I would think, well of course, they're mermaids, what would wear? Clamshells? Does Disney have any idea how uncomfortable a regular bra is, so they go with clamshells? WTF.

Still, questionable dvd quality and edits aside, I think I'll have to look into importing a DVD from Japan if I want a good quality version of this childhood treasure. It won't have the dub that's burned into my memory, but I am curious as to the Japanese audio track. Until then though I'll have to look up an old vhs copy of my dub, and a VHS player.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7