• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Last Unicorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

first off, the dropping of colonies was done by Later iterations of Zeon, mostly the 2nd and 3rd neo-Zeon movements. I was referring to the original Zeon of Mobile Suit Gundam, not of any movements that followed.

I believe you need to verify that.

http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds/uc/background/glossary_misc.html#operationbritish

Quote:
second, gassing and using chemical weapons wasn't Zeon at all, it was the Titans, the Earth Federation Group. Which were the antagonists of Zeta Gundam.

I would beg to differ.

http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds/uc/background/glossary_misc.html#oneweekbattle

Having mentioned this, you do have a point...in the sense that the Titans were, in fact, guilty of adopting Zeon's methods after the war. Nevertheless, they were only a fraction of the Earth Federation's military and eventually ended up being disowned by the government...in no small part thanks to the efforts of the AEUG, of course. None of that, however, excuses the original Zeon and its own actions.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
animehermit wrote:

first off, the dropping of colonies was done by Later iterations of Zeon, mostly the 2nd and 3rd neo-Zeon movements. I was referring to the original Zeon of Mobile Suit Gundam, not of any movements that followed.

I believe you need to verify that.

http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds/uc/background/glossary_misc.html#operationbritish

Quote:
second, gassing and using chemical weapons wasn't Zeon at all, it was the Titans, the Earth Federation Group. Which were the antagonists of Zeta Gundam.

I would beg to differ.

http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds/uc/background/glossary_misc.html#oneweekbattle

Having mentioned this, you do have a point...in the sense that the Titans were, in fact, guilty of adopting Zeon's methods after the war. Nevertheless, they were only a fraction of the Earth Federation's military and eventually ended up being disowned by the government...in no small part thanks to the efforts of the AEUG, of course. None of that, however, excuses the original Zeon and its own actions.

yep, i was wrong, I've been reading through the UC timeline, and i'm discovering things that weren't really covered in the original series. Knowing this, it makes the ending to the original series a lot more satisfying.

I would still say its more of a grey issue than most of its sequels though. In the one week war the federation killed almost as many civilians as the zeeks did.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

In the one week war the federation killed almost as many civilians as the zeeks did.

That seems rather hard to believe in light of the information provided above, but I won't deny both sides have innocent blood on their hands.

I just think the Principality of Zeon is: a)inherently worse for having a dictatorship as its form of government. b)guilty of killing more, not less, people.

While this doesn't make the Federation "white" and Zeon "black" they are far from being morally equivalent or without any significant differences.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
animehermit wrote:

In the one week war the federation killed almost as many civilians as the zeeks did.

That seems rather hard to believe in light of the information provided above, but I won't deny both sides have innocent blood on their hands.

I just think the Principality of Zeon is: a)inherently worse for having a dictatorship as its form of government. b)guilty of killing more, not less, people.

While this doesn't make the Federation "white" and Zeon "black" they are far from being morally equivalent or without any significant differences.

whats even more interesting is that the Zeons are fighting for independence from the Federation, something thats usually worth fighting for, its their means that make them worse, not their ideals. Although the being an Autocracy doesn't help >.>. I get the feeling that the real bad guys from Gundam aren't the Zeeks or the Federation, but more of the Zabi family themselves.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Damn. I'd really like to watch Unicorn, but these days I'm really not in a position to commit to watching the hundred-and-something-odd preceding episodes' worth of UC, or any significant portion thereof.

Well, you can cut that down a little bit by watching the three compilation movies in place of the original Gundam TV series. IIRC, the movies are considered the "official" version of the story too, rather than the TV episodes.

I don't think that Zeta Gundam can be handled the same way, though. From comments that I've seen about those films (aside from the fact that the new animation does not mesh with the original TV footage at all), enough plot elements are changed that the connection with the stories that follow the Zeta TV series chronologically is broken or does not fit. Or something like that. I've never seen the films, and it has been a while since I read the reviews about them.

I haven't seen ZZ Gundam, and I'm not sure how many plot elements or characters from that series put in an appearance in Unicorn. I don't know how important ZZ is to the new OVAs.

Char's Counterattack definitely should be watched...

I don't recall having immediately recognized any of UC's characters other than spoiler[Audrey]. I'll likely rewatch BDs 1 & 2 before I start #3 to get back up to speed on the story. Okay, the story doesn't require that much reviewing, so it is just an excuse to watch the beautiful animation again.

Quote:
The review makes it sound like I'm really missing out though.

You are! ^_^

animehermit wrote:
Its not really important, although i do like the little things, like, the mobile suits piloted on the Nahel Argama are generic versions of the Zeta Gundam.

Is there much of a difference between those, and the Re-GZ of CCA? That suit was supposed to be a mass-produced version of the Zeta Gundam.

Quote:
Or that the Tank-like mobile suits piloted by the ECOAS are of the same type used by the protagonist in the begining of F91, this sort of reverence for the original series along with the character designs is what i like most about Unicorn so far.

Heh... While F91 takes place 25-30 or so years after Unicorn, the Federation is still using the Jegan there, so it's no surprise that other suits from F91's past put in an appearance here. It's been so long since I watched F91... Wasn't the tank-like suit there a museum piece, or was it in an armoury (or am I completely mis-remembering the scene?)? ^^;

agila61 wrote:
animehermit wrote:
The intro to the first Gundam definitely shows that they dropped some piece of big space construction on at least one earth city.

IIRC, in one of the opening scenes in 0083, as the Pegasus heads towards the Federation base, we get a good view of Australia that shows a very large, water-filled bay/sea where Sydney and a large surrounding area once existed. I really should watch 0083 again, too. I remember buying the LDs as that OVA series was being released. ^_^
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Is there much of a difference between those, and the Re-GZ of CCA? That suit was supposed to be a mass-produced version of the Zeta Gundam.

I believe they're the same suits, UC takes place only a few years after CCA, so its plausible.
Ingraman wrote:

Heh... While F91 takes place 25-30 or so years after Unicorn, the Federation is still using the Jegan there, so it's no surprise that other suits from F91's past put in an appearance here. It's been so long since I watched F91... Wasn't the tank-like suit there a museum piece, or was it in an armoury (or am I completely mis-remembering the scene?)? ^^;

It was in a museum, and they said it was more than 10 years old. This kinda of continuity makes me geek out, because it shows that not only do the writers have a knowledge of what came before Unicorn, but what came after as well.

Quote:
The intro to the first Gundam definitely shows that they dropped some piece of big space construction on at least one earth city.

to be frank, i don't remember that scene, and its not present in the compilation movies either.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

to be frank, i don't remember that scene, and its not present in the compilation movies either.

If it's in the opening credits, I don't think it's a spoiler but...

My husband only knows one thing about Gundam, and it is this: spoiler[The colonies dropped an entire "Side" on Australia.]

Isn't that why spoiler[this blog here is called Colony Drop? It refers to the total jerk move of dropping a colony on Earth.]

Edit: Isn't that the whole point of the One Year War everyone's always talking about in Gundam? From the official timeline site:

Quote:
U.C. 0079.01.03

The One Year War begins. The Principality of Zeon declares war against the Earth Federation and launches surprise attacks on Side 1, 2, and 4. During this first week of the war, the indiscriminate use of nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons claims the lives of 2.8 billion space colonists.

The Principality of Zeon forcesspoiler[ a space colony out of orbit in an attempt to destroy Jaburo, the Federation Forces headquarters. Though the colony drop misses its target, it hits Sydney, Australia and drastically alters Earth's climate.]
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Edit: Isn't that the whole point of the One Year War everyone's always talking about in Gundam? From the official timeline site:

ehhhh, not really, its a war of independence for Zeon, they want to be independent the federation doesn't. Thats what most of the conflicts in the UC timeline boil down to. Spacenoids want independence and freedom, Federation wants to keep the colonies under their thumb. It gets hard the sympathize with those groups fighting for freedom when they use such drastic measures to gain liberty. In short, the ends for what Zeon is trying to accomplish isn't worth the means they are taking to achieve it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
If more people would actually watch the shows, they'd have a knowledge of what went on.

I wonder when Bandai Entertainment is going to put out that new release of the original television series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If more people would actually watch the shows, they'd have a knowledge of what went on.

I wonder when Bandai Entertainment is going to put out that new release of the original television series.

I'll take a re-dub of Zeta and while we're at an actual release of ZZ!

You know how hard it is for some people to watch older shows, with such old animation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

You know how hard it is for some people to watch older shows, with such old animation.

I guess I can't scoff, since I used to have that same attitude.

It was watching 08th MS Team that got me into watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam.

Also, a redub of Zeta would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZetaEpyon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

I believe they're the same suits, UC takes place only a few years after CCA, so its plausible.

This is not quite right, they aren't the same thing. The ones in CCA are the Re-GZ, while in UC they have advanced to the ReZEL, which is sort of a combination of the Re-GZ and the Methuss from Z/ZZ.

erinfinnegan wrote:

My husband only knows one thing about Gundam, and it is this: spoiler[The colonies dropped an entire "Side" on Australia.]

spoiler[This is also not quite accurate either, a Side has many individual colonies. But yes, they did drop a colony.]

Further details:
spoiler[Not that it really makes it better, but it was an depopulated colony (they gassed it) targeted at the Federation underground base. Only ended up in Australia because of the Federation redirecting it.]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I'll take a re-dub of Zeta and while we're at an actual release of ZZ!

If requests are being made here, I shall humbly ask about a re-release of Zeta with the original theme music intact. One can grow quite particular about content such as this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
ZetaEpyon wrote:

Further details:
spoiler[Not that it really makes it better, but it was an depopulated colony (they gassed it) targeted at the Federation underground base. Only ended up in Australia because of the Federation redirecting it.]

To be even more accurate:

Quote:
For three days the Federation Forces launch continuous attacks on the runaway colony, but are unable to break through the Principality fleets that surround it. At last the Federation Forces withdraw, and the colony enters Earth's atmosphere on January 10, U.C. 0079, only to break apart over the Persian Gulf. The fragments of the colony scatter across Australia and North America, failing to strike Jaburo but wreaking immense havoc on the Earth and its environment.

That and more information is in the official Gundam site previously linked to. Not to mention that the colony wouldn't have just hit a military base in the first place. It would still be a huge environmental disaster and collateral damage would have affected population centers in South America and elsewhere instead of Australia. Hitting the Earth with a falling colony is never going to be a good thing, you know, no matter what target you pick.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
an alignment so good she doesn't want to kill anyone (worse than a paladin– also sometimes called "Lawful Stupid")

Ha! I'm going to use that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7