• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Last Unicorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
animehermit wrote:
I'll take a re-dub of Zeta and while we're at an actual release of ZZ!

If requests are being made here, I shall humbly ask about a re-release of Zeta with the original theme music intact. One can grow quite particular about content such as this.

while we're wishing, i want a re-dub of every Gundam show, ever. with UC being the exception ofc.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
i want a re-dub of every Gundam show, ever. with UC being the exception ofc.

Eh, I've always thought the Gundam franchise has been pretty lucky when it comes to English dubs. There are very few truly bad ones.

Compare that to the way Macross shows have been dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Even with fewer characters, I find it hard to follow Gundam Unicorn when they're months apart. I'll likely wait until they've all been released to watch them.

Like the way "cyclops" once referred to any creature with a single working eye, the term "unicorn" once referred to any animal with a single horn, such as one that might have lost one in a fight or shed one. Because of it's rarity it would have been considered lucky to see one.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Considering that every single episode of Gundam Unicorn was surely ridiculously expensive and labor-intensive compared to the average episode of any TV series, it's not much of a surprise to see the OVA look so good. The fact that it's being adapted from an already completed set of novels, which usually isn't the case with most Gundam projects, doesn't exactly hurt either.

I agree that it works quite well as a relatively self-contained introduction to the property as a whole, with a few references for longtime fans and all, but...like I've mentioned before, there's something of a double-edged sword behind the concept of not taking any significant creative risks at all and instead trying to cover a lot of already familiar territory. As much as I'm enjoying it, the implications of that don't necessarily thrill me in the long run.

animehermit wrote:
...I don't recall Zeon ever doing anything more sinister than anything the federation did...

How about dropping colonies on millions of people, using poison gas and chemical weapons or killing the very space colonists Zeon claims to represent? Not to mention that they're ruled -at least most of the time- by what is essentially a self-serving kleptocracy where nepotism is the norm.

The Federation might be incompetent and reactionary, in that order, but they're still far less murderous than Zeon. Not that there aren't individuals within Zeon who have been portrayed as generally good people but it's actually quite hard to wave away the atrocities of the faction they're fighting for.

I agree with this a lot. Considering the state of anime, I am happy that this series is a major success in Japan, and appears to have done quite well in America. I also understand that if I watch it I will probably enjoy it. I just don't like how this series was done with no real risk. It has famed author Harutoshi Fukui writing the story, but instead of actually coming off like a Fukui story it's instead written in the style of Zeta Gundam.

With a franchise as devoid of ideas as Gundam is (the last truly original Gundam series was Turn A Gundam made more than 10 years ago). I think we need something like G Gundam again that will give Gundam a much needed kick in a new direction. A series that while maybe referencing previous series doesn't actually try to repeat them.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I agree with this a lot. Considering the state of anime, I am happy that this series is a major success in Japan, and appears to have done quite well in America. I also understand that if I watch it I will probably enjoy it. I just don't like how this series was done with no real risk. It has famed author Harutoshi Fukui writing the story, but instead of actually coming off like a Fukui story it's instead written in the style of Zeta Gundam.

With a franchise as devoid of ideas as Gundam is (the last truly original Gundam series was Turn A Gundam made more than 10 years ago). I think we need something like G Gundam again that will give Gundam a much needed kick in a new direction. A series that while maybe referencing previous series doesn't actually try to repeat them.

I think Unicorn is a step in the right direction. Gundam is getting back to the roots of what made it so enjoyable in the first place. Its not that its like Zeta Gundam, its like Tomino is directing the series again. Theres a lot of people out there, who believe (especially myself) that gundam was last truly good with Turn A.

I don't care about originality, I want a cohesive narrative. Gundam hasn't done that in awhile.

Penguintruth wrote:
Eh, I've always thought the Gundam franchise has been pretty lucky when it comes to English dubs. There are very few truly bad ones.

Compare that to the way Macross shows have been dubbed.

they've been competently dubbed, nothing i would call amazing. When used in comparison to Macross, its amazing. But i have to say I've disliked more of the dubs than I've liked, and Unicorn is the first one i would say is truly excellent.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

I think Unicorn is a step in the right direction. Gundam is getting back to the roots of what made it so enjoyable in the first place. Its not that its like Zeta Gundam, its like Tomino is directing the series again. Theres a lot of people out there, who believe (especially myself) that gundam was last truly good with Turn A.

I don't care about originality, I want a cohesive narrative. Gundam hasn't done that in awhile.

Tomino hasn't made a tv series in 8 years, Tomino's era is over. We don't need to stagnate and just keep remaking the same series over and over again. I am sick and tired of Zeon, I am sick and tired of the pessimism that Universal Century exudes. What's the point of Gundam Unicorn other than to make crap loads of money?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am sick and tired of Zeon, I am sick and tired of the pessimism that Universal Century exudes.

Then stop watching Gundam. This is what the franchise is largely about.

I also disagree that UC is necessarily pessimistic. It doesn't pull any punches, but it's not completely hopeless in tone.

Gundam Unicorn is amazing because it plays with the very fabric of the UC timeline, and well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Well, you can cut that down a little bit by watching the three compilation movies in place of the original Gundam TV series. IIRC, the movies are considered the "official" version of the story too, rather than the TV episodes.

Is that something Tomino himself declared? Cause I've only seen the original series, and if anything, shouldn't the original series have more detail to it since it isn't forced into the time span of three movies? I don't see why the movies should be more official than the original series at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

Well, you can cut that down a little bit by watching the three compilation movies in place of the original Gundam TV series. IIRC, the movies are considered the "official" version of the story too, rather than the TV episodes.

Is that something Tomino himself declared? Cause I've only seen the original series, and if anything, shouldn't the original series have more detail to it since it isn't forced into the time span of three movies? I don't see why the movies should be more official than the original series at all.

theres some one -off episodes that really have nothing to do with the plot. Added on top of the that each of the complilation movies is over 2 and half hours long, so they really didn't need to cut much. I don't know if i would call them more "official" but they serve as a good substitute to the original. so you can watch the trilogy and jump right into Zeta.

Now the Zeta movies on the other hand, nobody should watch those, definitely watch the series.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
We don't need to stagnate and just keep remaking the same series over and over again.

Isn't that mostly what the non-UC Gundam series were doing (remaking the original 0079 show)?

Quote:
I am sick and tired of Zeon, I am sick and tired of the pessimism that Universal Century exudes.

There's a lot of UC material that hasn't been animated, and I'd like to see some of it. What I'd most like to see is the story that includes spoiler[the execution of] Bright Noah's son Hathaway. After what spoiler[he did in Char's Counterattack], it would be so enjoyable... It's in UC0105.05, if the timeline that I've got is correct.

Quote:
What's the point of Gundam Unicorn other than to make crap loads of money?

That's the point of _all_ Gundam productions. Even the novels are there to sell models. The Gundam 00 movie wasn't supposed to make money?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

While it hasn't stopped me from watching Gundam Unicorn, we do share a similar line of thought in this respect.

There have been some interesting attempts to do just that but it would be nice to have something with Unicorn's production values, quality execution and attention to detail instead of just more and more TV series forced to make creative compromises and rush their stories through, often trying to appeal to too many people at once. That's been happening a little too much lately, even with shows I've somehow managed to enjoy.

animehermit wrote:

Theres a lot of people out there, who believe (especially myself) that gundam was last truly good with Turn A.

Considering that Turn A Gundam is perhaps my own favorite series too, I don't really disagree with most of that thought. However, let's consider that Tomino himself did take a few risks with Turn A by making something radically different in style and tone compared to the rest of his work, even if some of the same ideas and themes remained underneath. And yet, thematically speaking, to this day Turn A still remains the "last word" on at least some of the conflicts introduced by the property and its spin-offs.

Quote:

Fortunately enough, Gundam Unicorn has the kind of production schedule (and, by extension, budget) that benefits rather than takes away from its narrative. I certainly do not dislike this about it...not at all.

penguintruth wrote:

Then stop watching Gundam. This is what the franchise is largely about.

Quote:

Gundam Unicorn is amazing because it plays with the very fabric of the UC timeline, and well.

Gundam is about many things, even if we don't necessarily take Tomino's words for granted. The concept of "Federation vs. Zeon" is just a single piece of the setting...and one that could be discarded or subverted in numerous ways. After all, this is exactly one of the things Zeta did with the (admittedly heavy-handed) introduction of the Titans. Instead of playing the same cards all over again, re-arranging the deck from time to time can't hurt.

It wouldn't be impossible to try and explore other parts of the UC chronology without necessarily having an active Zeon faction (or "Zeon-in-all-but-name") as the obvious antagonistic party.

And, to be sure, Unicorn's playing quite a pleasant game...but it's only a momentary one. We already know the inevitable long term consequences of these events, thanks to F-91 and Victory in particular. Whether or not this adds or detracts from the experience is something we'll have to discuss later on.

Ingraman wrote:

Isn't that mostly what the non-UC Gundam series were doing (remaking the original 0079 show)?

Honestly, this is only strictly true in the case of SEED...and not even the entire show at that, for whatever it's worth. I don't think you can generalize about everything else so easily, at least not without throwing a bunch of important differences out the window.

Quote:
What I'd most like to see is the story that includes spoiler[the execution of] Bright Noah's son Hathaway. After what spoiler[he did in Char's Counterattack], it would be so enjoyable... It's in UC0105.05, if the timeline that I've got is correct.

Not a bad idea, mind you, but I have a feeling that particular story is non-canonical, however, since it's based on a different version of the Char's Counterattack story instead of the events we saw in the actual movie. You'd need to find a way to reconcile any discrepancies.

Quote:
That's the point of _all_ Gundam productions.

And it's the point of practically all anime too. Laughing

But there are many different ways of making money, no? We're free to pick our own poisons, so to speak, and drink them at our own pace.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

What I'd most like to see is the story that includes spoiler[the execution of] Bright Noah's son Hathaway. After what spoiler[he did in Char's Counterattack], it would be so enjoyable... It's in UC0105.05, if the timeline that I've got is correct.

Not a bad idea, mind you, but I have a feeling that particular story is non-canonical, however, since it's based on a different version of the Char's Counterattack story instead of the events we saw in the actual movie. You'd need to find a way to reconcile any discrepancies.

Really? I know almost nothing about that story beyond the event that I mentioned. Since it takes place so long after 0092, I just figured that a lot went on in those 13 years... I didn't realize that it's version of CCA was so different. Was a novel version of CCA that different, or are preceding events rewritten in the Hathaway book(s)?

Thanks for that bit of information. ^_^
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

That and more information is in the official Gundam site previously linked to.

Hey thanks for the site. Now maybe I can check it to get a little refresher on some of the details surrounding past UC shows I watched a while back. Though, I couldn't help but notice that in the Universal Century section there was no category for Gundam ZZ and Victory Gundam. I guess that's just because the site comes from BANDAI Entertainment, who hasn't licensed those shows. That's too bad since I'd like to get a refresher on ZZ as well. I hope that there aren't too many detailed references in Unicorn from that otherwise I might not catch them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
@CG-LOVER:

Unless you're really into the technical details of mobile suit design lineage and so on, that shouldn't be an issue. Anything that is truly important is explained in Unicorn itself or relatively easy to deduce from other information. As an alternative, you can always read plot summaries if you're still curious but don't want to watch ZZ all over again. Recognizing every single reference is a nice extra but certainly not a requirement for everyone in the audience.

Ingraman wrote:

Really? I know almost nothing about that story beyond the event that I mentioned. Since it takes place so long after 0092, I just figured that a lot went on in those 13 years... I didn't realize that it's version of CCA was so different. Was a novel version of CCA that different, or are preceding events rewritten in the Hathaway book(s)?

Thanks for that bit of information. Anime smile

No problem. To be specific, the Hathaway's Flash novel is supposed to take place after another novel, Beltorchika's Children, which is an alternate version of Char's Counterattack. As it should be rather easy to tell, Beltorchika doesn't appear in the movie and other differences include spoiler[Quess being accidentally killed by Hathaway instead of having Chan kill her...which is naturally going to be a plot point that affects Hathaway's state of mind during later events.]
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
I've never seen it written as "playing opossum."

Damn, that Gundam Unicorn Blu-ray is a bit expensive, isn't it? $40+ for a movie that's less than 2 hours?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7