• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Localization

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:
You're probably not the only one who believe that, but I'd have to disagree with you myself. An English dub increases the number of fans a series will have in the U.S., so wanting a dub for a series isn't an inherently bad thing; it statistically tends to increase the sales and fandom itself, both generally a good thing.

I have absolutely nothing against dubs, and I fully realize what they do for a series. In fact, I was one of a relatively small group of people on some forums who had already seen Fullmetal Alchemist in its entirety in Japanese, but were advocating the good qualities of the dub and generally telling people to hush up and give the VAs 2-3 eps to get into their roles before passing judgement. Now most of the fandom that I've seen seems to agree that dub is good.

The whole "purist" thing is, purely, an issue of semantics for me. "Purist" implies, well, "pure". The original, not mixed with anything else at all. Therefore a true "anime purist" would be someone who advocates anime raws as being perfectly "pure" anime, though a wise one would acknowledge the use of subtitles (and dubs, for that matter). In terms of anime, a "manga purist" is someone who advocates the manga's plot above on every point the anime deviates (of course, in the context of manga, it would be different, but I'm sticking to anime for this). A dub, by it's very nature, is not "pure". It is, however, an "adaptation", and in recent years they've generally been very good ones at that. Just as anime is often an adaptation of manga, and sometimes manga is an adaptation of anime, etc. Purely semantics, but semantics is a BIG issue when you're dealing with terms like these.

Incidently, I haven't bought a translated manga for myself in oh, a couple years? Have bought some of the novels, but the manga I've actually bought for myself (as opposed to borrowing from friends or receiving as gifts) has all been imported.

Quote:
Ah, another anisnob, I see. Wink Look, I won't argue that there aren't a lot of annoying 13 year olds who write crappy fanfiction watching these shows on Adult Swim, because there are.

In my defense, I wrote that post right after dealing with rampant idiocy on the Funimation forums. That, and some personal experiences on the sub/dub issue...

Quote:
However, there are also a LOT of people like my friends and I, who watch Adult Swim because we get the station with our cable packages, and therefore, we're seeing a lot of new series for free, LEGALLY, without having to resort to fansubs or bootlegs. If it weren't for AS, I'd never have known the glory that is Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, FMA (well, I MAY have tried that eventually, because of the concept), Metropolis, the original Read or Die OVA, or Witch Hunter Robin. AS is a great way to check out new series without shelling 30 bucks out for the first DVD. And, in the case of WHR, I realized that there were some neat plot twists later on that made the series well worth getting into and even more worth getting the special edition with the cool artbox.

*points up* I totally advocate good dubs, and encourage people to watch them. There is nothing wrong with watching dubs in and of myself, I've just encountered far too many people who refuse to watch stuff subtitled, period, for reasons as weak as some dub-haters' reasons for not watching dubs. Fullmetal Alchemist, I currently have all but one of my DVDs loaned out two weeks running now to people in club, because they'd caught a few episodes but missed the beginning when it aired, or had only seen the first few, etc.

But, my personal grief with people who refuse to watch subtitles is this- I've had far, far too many people inform me that they want to watch the dub solely because they didn't feel like reading subtitles. Now on the other hand, when people in anime club insisted on watching Shinesman dubbed, it was because the dub script and acting was genuinely hilarious and a great interpretation of the show. That kind of reasoning, I'm fine with. It's just that way too many people are insisting on dubs just out of laziness. I ended up in a very long argument with some good friends of mine once on exactly that point- they said outright they didn't want to watch it in Japanese because they didn't want to read subtitles. Absolutely no other reason. Nevermind that half the time the subtitles got turned on anyway because everyone started chatting and we couldn't hear a thing. I've run into similar things far too often in the college anime club, as well.

So forgive me if I'm a bit pessimistic about reasoning for favoring dubs over subs, but one experience after another has proved to me that the exceptions are rare. (though I'm perfectly fine with them when I do come across them, it's just far too rare, in my opinion) Though on another note, the first anime I ever saw (and knew it was anime while watching) was Pokemon. Which yes, was both dubebd and edited, and I still enjoyed it. Heck, a friend and I have rented the dubbed, edited Sailor Moon before just for kicks and because we needed to throw in another tape to get the five for a week deal. To me, entertainment is entertainment, regardless of form. I just happen to prefer watching foreign-language films in their original language, whatever that may be.

Quote:
Also, I'd watch my phrasing if I were you; you mean "dubbed in English". The Japanese do most of their animation beforehand instead of the usual American practice of doing the audio first, so in fact, the VAST majority of Japanese animation is itself dubbed.

The funny thing is, I've heard the exact opposite claim made on many occasions, so you know, until I actually ask one of those directors or producers myself, it's all hearsay. Wink

Quote:
I even had this interesting idea of including an edited and uncut version on the same disc... you know how ADV has this ability to have digital overlays (they use it for the ADVidnotes and they used to have text overlays on the old Evangelion discs), and how you can program a DVD to skip over certain scenes, and how you can can program alternate music tracks?

Well see, cool as that would be, there's already a lot of space taken up on those discs just having multiple audio tracks. Throw in all that extra stuff, and if the editing's especially heavy they might have to cut the number of episodes per disc. One reason those older boxsets of 26 episodes on four discs generally have little to no extras is because the double audio tracks for everything take up a lot of the space, so it was harder to cram more extras in there.

...I think I hit on everything at *some* point in here. >_>
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
"Tricked out," huh?

I've been through it all: The deplorable messes that were the "localized" Sailor Moon, Card Captors, and Mew Mew Power. The "Japanese surname usage" in Ai Yori Aoshi and Hanaukyo Maids. And the anti-anachronism in Chrono Cursade and Steel Angel Kurumi.

Here's what I'd pay for: Localizations that WORK.

Let's say that a story's based in Japan. It's dubbed in English. No disrespect for the Japanese whatsoever, but the mixture of English (to understand the plot) and Japanese (to be true to the original script) feels like nails hammered onto your back.

Entertainment consists of taking the audience into a newly created world. If there's an effort behind the scenes to "dumb something down" or "make it so only the jokes are understandable to those who are really into it," it won't be as entertaining, now would it? You'd want your money back. Rolling Eyes
Andromeda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
First off, let me thank you for not flying off the handle at me. Wink It's such a relief to see that on the internet...

ACDragonMaster wrote:
Andromeda wrote:
You're probably not the only one who believe that, but I'd have to disagree with you myself. An English dub increases the number of fans a series will have in the U.S., so wanting a dub for a series isn't an inherently bad thing; it statistically tends to increase the sales and fandom itself, both generally a good thing.

I have absolutely nothing against dubs, and I fully realize what they do for a series. In fact, I was one of a relatively small group of people on some forums who had already seen Fullmetal Alchemist in its entirety in Japanese, but were advocating the good qualities of the dub and generally telling people to hush up and give the VAs 2-3 eps to get into their roles before passing judgement. Now most of the fandom that I've seen seems to agree that dub is good.

Ah, I'm sorry than. I was a bit tired, and managed to interpret it somewhat the wrong way I suppose. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Quote:

The whole "purist" thing is, purely, an issue of semantics for me. "Purist" implies, well, "pure". The original, not mixed with anything else at all. Therefore a true "anime purist" would be someone who advocates anime raws as being perfectly "pure" anime, though a wise one would acknowledge the use of subtitles (and dubs, for that matter). In terms of anime, a "manga purist" is someone who advocates the manga's plot above on every point the anime deviates (of course, in the context of manga, it would be different, but I'm sticking to anime for this). A dub, by it's very nature, is not "pure". It is, however, an "adaptation", and in recent years they've generally been very good ones at that. Just as anime is often an adaptation of manga, and sometimes manga is an adaptation of anime, etc. Purely semantics, but semantics is a BIG issue when you're dealing with terms like these.

Thank you very much for clarifying. Wink You sound a lot more logical now. Maybe I need sleep... Laughing

Quote:

Incidently, I haven't bought a translated manga for myself in oh, a couple years? Have bought some of the novels, but the manga I've actually bought for myself (as opposed to borrowing from friends or receiving as gifts) has all been imported.

I'm considering doing that, since it's sometimes cheaper (I ran across somebody once who said he could get Sailor Moon tankoubon at used bookstores and would sell them for $5 a pop. Not bad, considering it's half what the American GNs used to cost!). My Japanese is pretty much nonexistant as far as reading and vocabulary go, but it might be a nice way to stock up on interesting things to practice with when I start Japanese. Smile

Quote:

Quote:
Ah, another anisnob, I see. Wink Look, I won't argue that there aren't a lot of annoying 13 year olds who write crappy fanfiction watching these shows on Adult Swim, because there are.

In my defense, I wrote that post right after dealing with rampant idiocy on the Funimation forums. That, and some personal experiences on the sub/dub issue...

Laughing Hey, it's OK. Ten minutes on fanfiction.net will do the same thing to you.

Believe me, I know how annoying they can be at this stage - I post and read over at Godawful Fan Fiction, and I swear, other than LotR and Harry Potter, two thirds or more of the stuff that ends up being posted there is anime or manga fanfic, and it's 99% written by 13-15 year olds who don't know a kimono from a kitsune from a katana, and do you-don't-wanna-know-what to the plot, characters and world of the shows they're supposedly fans of, because they're too damn lazy to research a single thing before they write, or even care about how the characters REMOTELY act, and THEN they rite omg liek dis an dey tink its all liek, soooo kawaiiiiiiii!!!! OMGBBQ~~!

*shudder*

So yeah. Just be thankful that the majority of them will grow out of it. Either they'll get out of the fandom, or they'll mature. It's something to look forward to, isn't it? Very Happy Like I said, most of us were immature and whiny and dumb at that age, and I think most of us have grown out of it... well, hard to tell on the net, sometimes, but you know... Laughing

Quote:

Quote:
However, there are also a LOT of people like my friends and I, who watch Adult Swim because we get the station with our cable packages, and therefore, we're seeing a lot of new series for free, LEGALLY, without having to resort to fansubs or bootlegs. If it weren't for AS, I'd never have known the glory that is Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, FMA (well, I MAY have tried that eventually, because of the concept), Metropolis, the original Read or Die OVA, or Witch Hunter Robin. AS is a great way to check out new series without shelling 30 bucks out for the first DVD. And, in the case of WHR, I realized that there were some neat plot twists later on that made the series well worth getting into and even more worth getting the special edition with the cool artbox.

*points up* I totally advocate good dubs, and encourage people to watch them. There is nothing wrong with watching dubs in and of myself, I've just encountered far too many people who refuse to watch stuff subtitled, period, for reasons as weak as some dub-haters' reasons for not watching dubs. Fullmetal Alchemist, I currently have all but one of my DVDs loaned out two weeks running now to people in club, because they'd caught a few episodes but missed the beginning when it aired, or had only seen the first few, etc.

But, my personal grief with people who refuse to watch subtitles is this- I've had far, far too many people inform me that they want to watch the dub solely because they didn't feel like reading subtitles.

I can see both sides of this - first, subtitles in a fast-paced show can be hard to keep up with even for fast readers like myself (Excel Saga, anyone?), and also, some people really do have trouble seeing small print because of poor eyesight. It's possible that some of them didn't want to admit it, because oh noes!!1 That'd be admitting they have a fault, as opposed to an opinion.

Or, as I suspect unfortunately is the case with most of them, they really are that lazy. Laughing But, one or two might have good reasons, you never know. My mother watches a lot of anime with me now, but we almost never watch stuff subbed together because of her eyes, which are very sensitive and have very poor sight. Yes, she has glasses, but... it's hard to explain. Basically, reading subtitles gives her a lot of eyestrain. Additionally - and this is another good reason beyond being too lazy to read - sometimes the visuals are so spectacular that even if you're accostumed to subs, you miss out by having your eyes flick down to the bottom of the screen every few seconds (The Utena movie is a good example of this. I insisted on watching it subbed because I preferred the Japanese vocal cast over the dub cast - Utena's voice threw me off immediately for some reason - but I ended up watching it several times just to catch all the gorgeous symbolic visuals. Not that I minded, but you know).

Though in some series, that excuse doens't really work; I've noticed that SM and Slayers both tend to have good pacing in the dialogue and aren't as big on the fleeting symbolism, so I don't mind watching them subbed and usually prefer it (though Amelia's first appearance epipode in the dub is so hysterical, I can't resist preferring that version for that one. Amelia's dub voice rocked).

Quote:

Now on the other hand, when people in anime club insisted on watching Shinesman dubbed, it was because the dub script and acting was genuinely hilarious and a great interpretation of the show. That kind of reasoning, I'm fine with. It's just that way too many people are insisting on dubs just out of laziness. I ended up in a very long argument with some good friends of mine once on exactly that point- they said outright they didn't want to watch it in Japanese because they didn't want to read subtitles. Absolutely no other reason. Nevermind that half the time the subtitles got turned on anyway because everyone started chatting and we couldn't hear a thing. I've run into similar things far too often in the college anime club, as well.

Wow. And you'd expect a college kid to be able to read subtitles, wouldn't you. Again, there's a lot of perfectly good reasons to prefer dubs, but sheer laziness is not one of them. Laughing

Quote:

So forgive me if I'm a bit pessimistic about reasoning for favoring dubs over subs, but one experience after another has proved to me that the exceptions are rare. (though I'm perfectly fine with them when I do come across them, it's just far too rare, in my opinion) Though on another note, the first anime I ever saw (and knew it was anime while watching) was Pokemon. Which yes, was both dubebd and edited, and I still enjoyed it. Heck, a friend and I have rented the dubbed, edited Sailor Moon before just for kicks and because we needed to throw in another tape to get the five for a week deal. To me, entertainment is entertainment, regardless of form.

And that my friend is actually quite a healthy view of it. I still get the occasional kick out of Pokemon dubbed myself, it's a cute show; fluffy, but cute. Though I still wonder what happened Misty/Kasumi(?), since I ony recently started watching again, and suddenly she's been replaced with... I think her name's "May" in the dub? Anyway, I always liked Misty. Sad I wish she was still on it.

Quote:

I just happen to prefer watching foreign-language films in their original language, whatever that may be.

Hm, true. For me, it depends on how awful the acting and stuff is in the dub, and whether it's an "artsy" film (Utena, Evangelion, etc.) or not. I tend to watch the "artsy" stuff subbed, it feels cool to watch it subbed. Plus, actually, both the examples I had there, I tend to prefer the Japanese cast for (the Ritsuko in the dub was pretty good, as were the "bridge bunnies" and most of the other adults)... and I have to admit that after seeing her in the subbed SM, I've always had a thing for Megumi Ogata's work. Laughing

Quote:

Quote:
Also, I'd watch my phrasing if I were you; you mean "dubbed in English". The Japanese do most of their animation beforehand instead of the usual American practice of doing the audio first, so in fact, the VAST majority of Japanese animation is itself dubbed.

The funny thing is, I've heard the exact opposite claim made on many occasions, so you know, until I actually ask one of those directors or producers myself, it's all hearsay. Wink

I do know that at least one company records the MUSIC afterwards, because I remember an interview in either Anime Insider or Animerica at one point where the director of Arjuna was talking about how good Yoko Kanno was as a composer, and he said the music "was so perfect for the scene that it [felt like] it had been recorded before the animation". Wink I'll try and dig that magazine up if you want (no promises, as my room is currently a mess, but I'll try).

It's also possible that it actually varies from company to company. TOEI might do it seperately because they farm out most of their animation, IIRC. I don't know about other, smaller companies or production units like those at GAINAX and Production IG, though. I also recall someone in an anime audiocommentary stating that the original was also dubbed over the animation, and several voice acting sites I've visited before (damn it, I can never link the right links when I need one...) mentioned something about recording the audio after the animation, saying that Japan had some great dub actors because of this.

I do know that the English version of the first Tenchi movie was done before the Japanese, though. The guy who used to do the Dub Track column mentioned it in an email after I emailed him complimenting him on one of his columns and mentioning that like him, I really liked the English cast for TM. Of course, I couldn't help but notice that at some point in Tenchi, the TV series or OVAs, or what I can't remember, but somebody has a PIONEER camera. Pioneer being of course, what Geneon used to go by. Wink So it's possible that they produced it. I'm not sure.

Quote:

Quote:
I even had this interesting idea of including an edited and uncut version on the same disc... you know how ADV has this ability to have digital overlays (they use it for the ADVidnotes and they used to have text overlays on the old Evangelion discs), and how you can program a DVD to skip over certain scenes, and how you can can program alternate music tracks?

Well see, cool as that would be, there's already a lot of space taken up on those discs just having multiple audio tracks. Throw in all that extra stuff, and if the editing's especially heavy they might have to cut the number of episodes per disc. One reason those older boxsets of 26 episodes on four discs generally have little to no extras is because the double audio tracks for everything take up a lot of the space, so it was harder to cram more extras in there.

True, but compression technology's getting better all the time, and it won't be too awfully long before that BluRay tech comes out. Those discs have over ten times the space of current DVDs. Wink I was thinking of the future more than the present.

And I've always wondered why people never thought to do non-video/audio extras more often, like fanart or captioned pictures, or little intereactive things in the menu system (like they had on the Utena movie DVD and some Excel Saga DVDs, only without the sound and video aspects; you know, trivia quizzes and stuff). Granted, though, you are talking about older stuff, so they probably didn't really have the compression technology back then I suppose.

Actually, I remember suggesting a lot of little things like that in a thread a long while ago when somebody was prepping to re-release Slayers in box sets with remastered dub tracks and some new extras. When I realized a rep for the company was in the thread, I was very quick to mention all of the nifty things that I would love to see on the DVDs and which might make me consider buying even the first season in the new form (I have an older boxset of it already, but I'm an extras-junkie Laughing ).

Thanks for a very intelligent response that was fun to respond to for a change. Smile

Good night! Wink

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that though I always felt this was the case, this article is the first report I've ever seen to catagorise dubs as the "majority" fan preference. I perfer dubs myself but I couldn't call myself a "purist" because I have to agree that a so called "purist" would be someone who only watches the "raw" Japanese versions without subs. But I also take offence to someone who says "people who only want dubs are just too lazy to read the subs." To those I say, value your blessing of youth because it will only be when you grow older will you know just what you had then. Wink
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They chose to release it, even with the edits.

Because they didn't care about the whiney fanboys who are going to mope about "OMGZ NO CRAPPY J-POPZ 4 ME I HATE YOU FUNI CRAWLING IN MY SKIN", they wanted to cater to the real fans who can actually understand why they couldn't get the rights to the song. Deal with it. It's either they sit on the license for the rest of eternity, whoops, no fansubs for you, no DVDs for you, or you get a version that doesn't have one whole song. Damn them.

Quote:
They're a business. They saw how successful Fruits Basket was, and they're hoping Kodocha will be equally popular. They went for the second-best offer, because they want to cash in on the market, not because they care about the fans.
The only series they licensed for marketing purposes was Dragonball Z and its incarnations. Everything else they acquire based on their personal tastes - if they like a show, they get it. Making a quick buck along the way isn't bad.

Quote:
No, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pay for it, either.
That's nice.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about 4Kids's bastardizations?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Yashou:
Quote:
Because they didn't care about the whiney fanboys who are going to mope about "OMGZ NO CRAPPY J-POPZ 4 ME I HATE YOU FUNI CRAWLING IN MY SKIN", they wanted to cater to the real fans who can actually understand why they couldn't get the rights to the song.

I'm not a big j-pop fan, but I don't see how it makes you less of a fan to want to hear it, when you paid for it.

Quote:
It's either they sit on the license for the rest of eternity, whoops, no fansubs for you, no DVDs for you,

Well no region 1 dvds, anyway.

Quote:
or you get a version that doesn't have one whole song. Damn them.

Again, it may not just be one whole song. There is no guarantee
that future episodes won't be muted.

Quote:
The only series they licensed for marketing purposes was Dragonball Z and its incarnations. Everything else they acquire based on their personal tastes - if they like a show, they get it.

You're telling me they're willing to buy 400 episodes of Conan on the basis that they just like it? No one is that stupid.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about 4Kids's bastardizations?

If you mean their dubbed and edited versions of other shows, judging by what I hear about them, since I only occasionally listen to dubs, they usually are dumbed down and rarely even remotely respectful of the original scripts.
YUGI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Funimation was biding for one piece, and lost to 4 kids, and with the bidding money bought conan.
astra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Blah. I really hate dub/sub debates. Why ANN chose to pick a side is beyond me. It only brought up the hated debate once again with dubbies feeling validated.
I watch subs because of my intellectual curiosity. Over the years, I have discovered that many of the anime that I've come across have the most inane plots imaginable. What keeps me hooked is the weird cultural stuff that lurks beneath. Alright, so dubbies want English instead of Japanese and want donuts in place of onigiri. Alright, take a dump all over those gems of Japanese culture that are so deeply ingrained in anime. Just do it quietly so I don't have to hear about it. And don't you ever tell me that I should be grateful to American companies for bringing anime over. They are just trying to make a quick buck just like everyone else. I am enjoying a cultural phenomenon and art form and I could care less about their business. I will complain if the product does not meet my expectations. And as dubbies have not been able to provide any evidence to the contrary, it seems that I represent a majority of anime consumers.
astra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and if I may, I would like to ask the dub fans a question. What draws you to dubs in the first place? I hear alot of people saying they prefer dubs but they don't really provide a reason. Is it because you don't want to read the subtitles? Do you dislike the Japanese language? Would you rather think of the characters as American? Do you have trouble empathizing with Japanese speaking characters? What is it that makes you hit the "english" option when you pop in a dvd?

I'll start, in order to prove I'm not a complete dub hater. I really enjoy certain anime dubs that I was able to watch for free on Cartoon Network. I've gotten so used to the English voices that its sometimes jarring to hear the original voices. Really, the only two dubs that I love are Cowboy Bebop and Gundam Wing. I was a fan of GW not so much for the quality of the dubbing, but because it was my first anime.
One problem I do have with those dubs is when I hear a favorite character's voice coming out of another character's mouth. There really are too few English dub actors. And I have a solution... Twisted Evil
Andromeda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Blah. I really hate dub/sub debates. Why ANN chose to pick a side is beyond me. It only brought up the hated debate once again with dubbies feeling validated.

You know, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop using that term. Not every dub-watcher is A.) A 13 year old moron or B.) the type who ONLY watches dubs, as I've already pointed out. Dubbie sounds like groupie, and therefore, is clearly (correct me if I'm wrong here, though this is how it comes across to me) meant to be a SEVERELY derogatory and DIMINITIVE term, meant to bring to mind countless dub-watching sheep who are ALL lazy and don't care about the culture their favorite show comes from, and will watch anything dubbed even if it's crap just because they don't want to watch subs.

Er, no. While this is true of a few, I'm increasingly seeing people who are perfectly willing to watch either version of a series.

You say you're in it, basically, to learn about Japan. Well, that puts you in a high and mighty place above us lowly mortals who just like a good story and want to watch something fun or interesting because we feel like being entertained, now doesn't it? Rolling Eyes Jeez.

Quote:

I watch subs because of my intellectual curiosity.

Good for you. I watch it because sometimes the dub sucks, or sometimes I like to see the Japanese cast because one of my favorite actors is in it (or, as in Excel Saga, the Engrish is funny), or I'm in the mood to listen to Japanese. In some cases, such as SM or CCS, it's because the dub translation was... not really a translation. We all have our reasons for watching subs, and they may even vary from series to series. but, guess what? THIS ALSO APPLIES TO DUBS. I can no longer stand to watch the English versions of SM or CCS due to the butchering, but give me Bebop's slick and sumptous dub cast anyday. This is simply a personal preference, and it BY NO MEANS can be taken to mean I have no interest whatsoever in Japanese culture.

Guess what? If you want to learn about Japanese culture as seen in anime?

There's a little book series and website I do believe, by Giles Poitras, called "The Anime Companion". While learning stuff from TV is all well and good, the AC does the same thing for me that you claim watching subs does for you. And, it's more accurate.

For instance, my fansub-watching friends back in middle school taught me that "wa" was the word for "is/are". It's not. In reality, it's a particle, not a verb, and has a completely different function in the sentence.

Guess where they learned their grammar from? Listening to subs. Yes, you can pick up stuff, but without explainations in more detail, sometimes you'll still get stuff wrong somehow (which is why I adore ADV's ADVidnotes fetures on the particularly "Japanese" anime titles). Wink Even simple things might be changed around or just made up out of the creator's rear, because they thought it'd be more interesting. Since you're not Japanese, you don't know this, and you won't catch it.

Quote:

Over the years, I have discovered that many of the anime that I've come across have the most inane plots imaginable.

It took you years to learn that? I learned that the first time I watched Pokemon or DBZ (can't actually recall which I saw first).

Quote:

What keeps me hooked is the weird cultural stuff that lurks beneath. Alright, so dubbies want English instead of Japanese and want donuts in place of onigiri. Alright, take a dump all over those gems of Japanese culture that are so deeply ingrained in anime.

Rolling Eyes I for one do NOT want "donuts in place of onigiri", especially since it looks nothing like a donut. Foodstuffs in particular I think should stay the same, since hell, Americans eat foreign cuisine all the time. I just like to hear another take on the show with good writing (yes, folks, good translations involve good writing, or they'd suck!) and good acting, in my OWN NATIVE TONGUE. I also have NO PROBLEM with watching things subtitled, as I have already mentioned about a million times by now, and even prefer some titles subbed. And I am NOT alone in this - most of my offline anime-watching friends (there are a lot, considering I was stuck in a lot of "nerd classes", and we tend to gravitate towards each other around here), AND at least one other poster on here so far has agreed with me.

Dubs aren't inherently better than subs, and neither are subs inherently better than dubs. They're just different; simply different formats and approachs to translating the same story (which is why a lot of the time, I like to watch both versions). Certain series will have better or worse dubs or subs, but as a whole, neither is actually "better" if you want to watch a series to be entertained and interested in it. If you want to learn Japanese, of course, by all means watch the subs, I know from personal experience that that helps. But, if you just wanna watch CB or FMA, watch it whichever damn way you please. Nobody should rag on people for preferring a dub track, not least in a series like either of those, which have really good dubs to begin with.

I think a lot of people have forgotten is that shows like FMA, while very creative certainly, are still meant to be entertainment, which is a VERY personal thing (by which I mean, some people find dubs, when well-done, to be a bit more entertaining since things like puns or double entendres are changed to things that work in their language, and they can appreciate the acting more since as a native speaker, they can catch all of the little nuances). The writers of FMA didn't make it so you could learn about Japan, they made it to entertain people (and get money for entertaining people, obviously).

Also, as I've mentioned before, both myself (to a lesser extent), and my mother who watches a lot of anime with me, have POOR EYESIGHT. Reading subtitles, particularly if they're small or fast-paced, is a strain on the eyes sometimes. Again, I still watch some series subbed regardless, but my liking an occasional dub does not make me TEH EBOL.

Quote:

Just do it quietly so I don't have to hear about it. And don't you ever tell me that I should be grateful to American companies for bringing anime over. They are just trying to make a quick buck just like everyone else.

See, I could still have called you perfectly logical until that point.

Ah, might you be a fansub-only watcher? OF COURSE you should be grateful. Not for how certain series are handled, of course (some really are handled horribly), but if you consider yourself a true fan of anime in general, you should be very much grateful that people like ADV, Funi, Bandai and others are willing to invest THEIR OWN MONEY to give you a LEGAL AND PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATION, and nowadays for FAR CHEAPER THAN THE JAPANESE TEND TO GET IT.

Why? Because they're PAYING THE CREATORS. Plus, they're shelling out the bucks for a professional translation and putting it in a nice package, and by the way... I suppose you'd prefer it if NO anime at all aired on TV? In other words, NO fans other than a handful of truly weird, sparsely-connected nerds?

In other words, no one to talk to? At all? Whatsoever? See, because I always thought half the fun of being an anime fan was the community, the interactions and discussion with other fans (including debates like this one Wink ). Not being a sequestered kid in a dark room trying to absorb Japanese culture through their (often western-influenced!) pop culture entertainment.

If there was ZERO anime industry in the US, there would be no anime airing for free on TV, no cons, probably very little manga being translated, and virtually no fans over here at all.

As for the old tired "trying to make a quick buck" argument - yes and no. ADV started out as a bunch of fanboys who decided to go into business in the medium they loved. Yes, they also have to think about making money, but they hardly try to screw the fans over. They include dubs because a lot of people want them; they've started including audio commentaries, games, interviews and other extras because fans kept asking for it. Yes, they have to make money. But where the hell do you think the money for Farscape or any of their anime, manga, or game liscenses comes from? Or that 100 million dollar live action Eva movie that they're working with GAINAX on.

Considering they also pay a professional translator, as opposed to some untrained fanboy(or girl, to be fair) who took four years of Japanese in college, I think it's even more worth it. That, and when you buy the DVD, it's a sign that it was worth it for ADV to support the creators.

ADV does have a LOT of liscenses, some to some pretty dumb or inane shows, but they usually put the most effort into the stuff they care about, like Eva, Excel Saga, or Azumanga Daioh. And it shows. You'd know this, if you watched the Eva's audio commentaries (they mention that one of the people working on it watched it raw so many times before they got the license that she became a sort of guru for translation questions or something), or read the ADVidnotes on ES or the translation booklet on AD.

That's another thing: professional releases OFTEN nowadays come with translation notes that do indeed explain the CONTEXT of the cultural things. AD is a fantastic example of this.

Sorry for the CAPS OF SUPPOSED RAGE above, but I desired the emphasis.

Quote:

I am enjoying a cultural phenomenon and art form and I could care less about their business.

Right. And I'm sure that the way you even found out about anime had NOTHING to do with some EBOL business' release? In other words, that you never got into it because of a particular release? Or because of a friend who had? Or friend who got into it because of a friend who got into it because of a particular release, and so on?

Think about it. Wink

Art form? I'd hardly call DBZ art. Laughing Though I do respect the medium as a whole, you can't seriously expect me to take you still seriously when you start talking about stuff that for the most part is entertainment, in terms of "art" and "cultural phenomenon" or "learning the culture". Look at FMA! It's not even set in Japan! Other than honorifics, which you would find in any decent grammar book on Japanese to begin with anyway, there's not much in the way of Japanese culture that you could noticeably glean from it.

FMA was, in the original manga-ka's words, meant to be a sort of "B movie". In other words, it was meant to be fun and to be enjoyed, not to be picked apart as a masterpiece. Evangelion, sure, but FMA? I'd give more and better examples, except I have work in the morning and need sleep.

Quote:

I will complain if the product does not meet my expectations.

Says the person who, for all intents and purposes, has said that they don't WANT companies translating anime. What? That's how it came across.

You might do yourself a big favor and just move to Japan already. You can't get much of a better way to learn the language and culture than living there, and you get to see all the anime without going through the EBOL anime importers here. Though you'll also pay twice as much or more for the DVDs, which will have fewer episodes to boot.

Quote:

And as dubbies have not been able to provide any evidence to the contrary, it seems that I represent a majority of anime consumers.

Um, no.

1. Do please stop referring to anyone who's willing to watch a well-made dub a "dubbie".

2. You've hardly provided any logical explaination as to why YOU "represent the majority" either. Rolling Eyes You do realize that, yes?

3. I don't think you DO represent the majority. Why? Look at AS's ratings, and the sales of uncut bilingual DVDs. Look at how many people fangirl or fanboy Tiffany Grant or Amanda Wynn Lee (not saying I'm one of them, but many do). Most of the anime on TV is dubbed. If you consistently watch a show, you are "consuming" it. If it's anime, you are an "anime consumer". Judging from the ratings of some of the shows on the air, and the sales of the DVDs with dubs on them (which companies would not be producing if it wasn't profitable, since dubs are far more expensive to produce than a sub), and the popularity of a number of American anime dub actors that rivals even the more popular Japanese actors... I'd say that the majority either likes or TOLERATES dubs, especially if they're well-done. Hell, I saw a guy who'd never watched anime before, and the sheer cool factor of the CB dub got him hooked.

Maybe when the fandom was almost completely underground the "subbies" ruled the roost, but ever since dubs started getting better in quality, and aired on TV, ever since bilingual DVDs came out, ever since anime started to become somewhat "cool" in the '90s, it's been at least even, if not slighlty in favor of dub-watchers.

And, to reiterate for what feels like the billionth time: not everybody who enjoys some dubs will enjoy all of them, not everybody who prefers dubs is lazy, and certainly not every dub fan will have that much disrespect for the original culture, nor be unwilling to watch something subbed.

Actually, thanks for missing half the point of the article, you know: that anime fans in general, as a general fandom, are increasingly enjoying dubs, but don't like it so much when a dub is "tricked out" instead of trying to keep faithful to the context, feel and spirit of the original. A good dub - a good translation paired with good direction and acting - keeps to the meaning and spirit of the original, and is enjoyable to watch. The article was not so much concerned with dubs being more popular, from what I can see, but with "tricked out" dubs becoming LESS popular, due to an increasing demand amongst those willing to watch a dub to have a good translation and to not screw around with the original material too much ala SM or CCS.

Quote:

Oh, and if I may, I would like to ask the dub fans a question. What draws you to dubs in the first place? I hear alot of people saying they prefer dubs but they don't really provide a reason. Is it because you don't want to read the subtitles? Do you dislike the Japanese language?

NO. I LOVE the Japanese language. I am a dub-watcher, but I STILL WATCH SOME STUFF SUBBED. I want to emphasize that; I still watch stuff subbed, and have for YEARS. I plan to take Japanese next semester, to become fluent, and to become a translator someday, so yeah, I don't suspect that I "dislike the language".

Here are the reasons I like dubs IN GENERAL (crappy dubs with bad acting, clumsy scriptwriting, bad edits, etc., do not particularly count in this. Those fall into the "so bad it's funny" category):

*Since I'm not yet fluent in Japanese, I can't appreciate most of the most subtle nuances in the acting unless it's in my native tongue.

*I like seeing a different interpretation of the material.

*I HAVE TROUBLE reading subs sometimes. Not always, and certainly not because I'm a slow reader, but my eyes are so sensitive to light, and so near-sighted that they actually on some days make it harder to read, especially if I'm watching it on TV instead of a computer screen (since my laptop has a DVD player). Also, a lot of discs have such tiny subs...

*My mother, with whom I watch a LOT of anime, has even more trouble than I do reading subtitles due to her eyesight as well.

Quote:

Would you rather think of the characters as American?

Hells BELLS, no. What are you, stupid? Sorry, sorry, I know, that was uncivil of me... but, seriously, what kind of question is THAT!? Confused

I think of the characters as being whatever nationality or species they're SUPPOSED to be. I think of Rosette Christopher as American, because she's supposed to be in the series she's in. I think of Shinji Ikari as Japanese, because that's what he is. I think of Asuka as multiracial and proudly part-German, because that's what she is. Enough said.

Quote:

Do you have trouble empathizing with Japanese speaking characters?

No. Only if the show is itself written very badly. Rolling Eyes (Actually, I often will find myself unable to really connect the dub voices with the characters if I've been watching it subbed for a while first, but I rarely have the same trouble working in reverse!)

I will admit that certain things DO feel more natural in English. For instance, part of the humor in Azumanga comes from "Osaka"'s accent/dialect. I don't speak Japanese yet, so I can't tell the difference in the Japanese track. However, I CAN tell the difference in the English track, where she's given a particular southern accent. She's hysterical. I love her, and I get much more of the humor because of the dub accent, which is a counterpart to the Japanese accent, which I currently cannot distinguish at all from the Tokyo dialect due to having not formally studied it before.

However, that usually applies to humor series like AD, that rely on that kind of gag, or on puns that can't be translated so easily just with subs.

Quote:

What is it that makes you hit the "english" option when you pop in a dvd?

Curiousity, in some cases. I like to see if the dub is entertaining before I watch it subbed.

Other cases, it's because I already like the dub voices (yes! SHOCK! Sometimes I like the dub cast better simply because I like the way they portray their characters better! Rare, but it happens, and is happening a lot more lately than in previous years).

Other times, I have it on in the background, so I'd need it in English, or I'd miss diaglogue.

Yet more cases, I'm watching with my mother, who as I've stated, has trouble reading subtitles due to her vision.

And in really, REALLY rare cases, it's because I don't like pausing it. Why? Because my remote is bitchy about pausing, fast-forwarding, rewinding and playing for some bizare reason. Excel Saga is the only series I've run across this in, actually. Excel talks so fast that unless I pause it, even being a fast reader I tend to miss stuff. That said, I can only take an episode at a time of her in the dub, since her dub voice is rather grating. And that's her FIRST dub voice (I've heard the second one isn't all that good, though I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it). I do still plan to watch the episode where they go to America in both versions, though, since the Engrish in the Japanese will be hysterical and the Ebon/Spanish mix in the dub sounds hilarious. And I tend to watch the ADVidnotes with it subbed, since most of the notes relate to the subtitled version to begin with.

Quote:

I'll start, in order to prove I'm not a complete dub hater. I really enjoy certain anime dubs that I was able to watch for free on Cartoon Network. I've gotten so used to the English voices that its sometimes jarring to hear the original voices. Really, the only two dubs that I love are Cowboy Bebop and Gundam Wing. I was a fan of GW not so much for the quality of the dubbing, but because it was my first anime.

I agree, especially on Bebop. That dub is fantastic.

Quote:

One problem I do have with those dubs is when I hear a favorite character's voice coming out of another character's mouth. There really are too few English dub actors. And I have a solution... Twisted Evil

So do I: tell the one trick pony actors to stop being one trick ponies. I've seen Faye and Spike's voices EVERYWHERE, and it was rather jarring, when I recently got the chance to watch the Ranma dub, to hear Inuyasha's voice. Laughing I've gotten used to this phenomenon, but it's still a bit annoying.

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Oh, and if I may, I would like to ask the dub fans a question. What draws you to dubs in the first place? I hear alot of people saying they prefer dubs but they don't really provide a reason. Is it because you don't want to read the subtitles? Do you dislike the Japanese language? Would you rather think of the characters as American? Do you have trouble empathizing with Japanese speaking characters? What is it that makes you hit the "english" option when you pop in a dvd?

It's nothing personal against the Japanese. I happen to think their language is a lovely language. No it's all down to my eye sight. At 53 I simply can't focus on the words on the bottom and keep up with the action. It would be no different if it were, say, a live action foriegn film. It all becomes just a blur. Can you understand that? Wink
Kamon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
So getting, say, 195/200 songs is "a bad deal"?

It is when the missing songs are in the background, and they have to mute them. And that's assuming that they only cut out 5 songs.

It's one freakin' song, by 2nd-rate has-beens Tokio. Other than that, a few audio clips containing Tokio from the first two episodes, and the Tokio BGM from the next-episode-previews. Oh noes!

That's it. None of Sana's songs or raps have been removed, nor anything else. Just Tokio.

GATSU wrote:
They're a business.

So is Sony. Guess why Tokio is in Kodocha? Because Sony wanted to sell Tokio records to 12 year old girls in 1996.

Again, you are refusing to buy this simply because there is no Tokio OP or shameless marketing of said group within the show. If it had been, say, a Japanese soft drink which had been removed instead, would you still refuse to buy the DVDs?

GATSU wrote:
Yashou:
Quote:
Because they didn't care about the whiney fanboys who are going to mope about "OMGZ NO CRAPPY J-POPZ 4 ME I HATE YOU FUNI CRAWLING IN MY SKIN", they wanted to cater to the real fans who can actually understand why they couldn't get the rights to the song.

I'm not a big j-pop fan, but I don't see how it makes you less of a fan to want to hear it, when you paid for it.

That's just the thing: You're NOT paying for it! To pay the outrageous fees of a worthless JPop band that lost its popularity years ago, the price of the DVDs would have had to have been raised significantly. Would you honestly pay that much more money just for Tokio?

Let me reiterate that I think you are a fool for not buying a this masterpiece due to the loss of a JPop band, and one you don't even care for. I somewhat agree with Yashouzoid; this smacks of elitism...and it seems that spiting the American licensor who would rather not have to raise the price of the DVDs just for one song means more to you than Kodocha does.

Again, your loss.

postscript: lol gulifisu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I have to say that though I always felt this was the case, this article is the first report I've ever seen to catagorise dubs as the "majority" fan preference. I perfer dubs myself but I couldn't call myself a "purist" because I have to agree that a so called "purist" would be someone who only watches the "raw" Japanese versions without subs. But I also take offence to someone who says "people who only want dubs are just too lazy to read the subs." To those I say, value your blessing of youth because it will only be when you grow older will you know just what you had then. Wink

I never said that about all dub fans, just that the majority that I have met have been that way. In other words, at least 9 of every 10 people I've spoken to who preferred dubs, did not give me a reason for that preference beyond just "I don't like having to read the subtitles".

As for the "youth" comment there, I'll be fluent in Japanese and not watching subtitles anyway long before then. ;p

Andromeda wrote:
You know, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop using that term. Not every dub-watcher is A.) A 13 year old moron or B.) the type who ONLY watches dubs, as I've already pointed out. Dubbie sounds like groupie, and therefore, is clearly (correct me if I'm wrong here, though this is how it comes across to me) meant to be a SEVERELY derogatory and DIMINITIVE term, meant to bring to mind countless dub-watching sheep who are ALL lazy and don't care about the culture their favorite show comes from, and will watch anything dubbed even if it's crap just because they don't want to watch subs.

See, I can't speak for anyone else, but when I use the term "dubbie" I do mean specifically "the 13-year-old moron" (as opposed to 13-year-old with a brain) or "type who ONLY watches dubs" (and by extension, refuses subs). Speaking generically, I tend to use "dub-fan". With the possible exception of, say, talking about a particular person I know and using the term in a friendly/teasing way, but that's another thing entirely.

"Subbie", for that matter, doesn't have quite as much of a derogatory connotation, but it does imply a sense of elitism, and so I treat it in a similar manner. I would say that in the past I was a subbie, because I had encountered several truly bad dubs and didn't want to have to hear another for a while, but as the quality of dubbing improved I'm fine with it.

Quote:
Look at FMA! It's not even set in Japan! Other than honorifics, which you would find in any decent grammar book on Japanese to begin with anyway, there's not much in the way of Japanese culture that you could noticeably glean from it.

Not to be nit-picky or anything, but contrary to appearences FMA is actually steeped in Japanese culture. Think for a moment of when a Western writer, writes a story set in Asia. Unless they've really studied and truly know the culture (and sometimes even then), a lot of the little details are going to be completely Western. It's not something most people notice, though, because it's *very* subtle. But for example, to prevelance of chopsticks in FMA, some of the foods we see Ed eating (as well as how they're served), the way a character bows, and so on, are very distinctly Japanese.

Though no, you can't really use that to learn about Japanese culture, but it provides an excellent exercise in noticing and discerning those differences.

Quote:
*Since I'm not yet fluent in Japanese, I can't appreciate most of the most subtle nuances in the acting unless it's in my native tongue.

Just thought I'd point out, but you'll learn those nuances a *lot* faster if you just watch a lot of stuff in Japanese. There are many, many things that I understand in Japanese from watching subs and reading imported manga, that I cannot translate or even properly say/use myself, but I know from hearing it all the time what they mean. And I've taken and am still taking Japanese classes. A lot of this stuff isn't taught in class, even. For example, in FMA it stood out to my that there were more scenes in the manga than the anime where Roy was using "watashi" rather than "ore". That says something about the character, though I couldn't explain what, and is one of those things I've learned to note just by being exposed to so much in Japanese.

So yeah. If you're really interested in learning the language and learning to hear that sort of thing, you really should watch more in Japanese, because that exposure definitely makes a difference. If reading subtitles is a real problem, just start with something you have half-memorised. And/or import manga to read (I recommend stuff serialized in anthologies like Jump and GanGan, as those always have furigana).

Also on the subject, I noticed something interesting in some of the series we were watching at anime club (where right now the policy is to watch one episode subbed, one dubbed, then vote for the rest of the series)- a lot of older dubs were poorly mixed. That is, the vocal tracks just don't blend in with all the other sounds of the anime, and the result is that it's always a little jarring to listen to no matter how good the VAs were.

And in a similar vein, it's amazing how much a difference good or bad directing makes. Much of the main dub cast of Chrno Crusade are VAs that I *know* are very good at what they do, however between just the scripting and however they must've been directed, it just feels off and sub-par compared to other things I've heard with the same VAs. This is also the problem that afflicts most 4Kids dubs- they hire some GREAT actors, but there's only so much you can do with a completely butchered script and voicing a character that your voice just really does not fit...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:

I wasn't intending to stick my nose in this again, but. . .

I generally prefer dubs because I find reading subs to be a distraction to paying attention to the artistry, and I know I know I'm not alone on this viewpoint. Because of that, I will almost always watch an anime DVD dubbed on the first pass and subbed on the second. I also generally find the emotional elements of a well-performed dub to be more compelling than their equivalent in Japanese with subtitles. (Case in point: VODT)

That being said, at least 80% of the anime I watch I also see subbed.

As for the whole "purist" thing, when I use that term I am referring to diehard fans who exclusively favor subs and value the artistic integrity of an anime so highly that they won't tolerate even minor changes. These are the fans that will rarely or never acknowledge an English dub as measuring up to the quality of the original performances. Purist, by my definition, also tend to be elitist, though this isn't always the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I prefer watching dubs because I don't think I should have to switch audio tracks to enjoy something.

That's why, even though I have access to all of the One Piece episodes on fansub, I'm still vocal about the dub and 4Kids's screw-ups.

Meanwhile, I lack fansubs or the JPN version in any form of Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King, Sonic X, Ojamajo Doremi, and Tokyo Mew Mew, so that's another reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6