Forum - View topic
PR: Section23 Films Announces June Slate [2011-03-16]




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 1805

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
High School of The Dead finally gets a street date! I can't wait to pick this up on bluray! I'm also glad, but not too surprised to see that Daimao got dubbed as well. That will be another bluray pick up for me.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed that Maid-sama didn't get dubbed as well, as it was a very enjoyable show and it's just the type of show that the guys in Houston excelled at. However, I will still be picking it up as well and likely the third season of YUA as well (as I don't have it yet.)

June is going to be a very expensive month, though Sentai's biggest releases always seem to conveniently street around their Right Stuf sales.

Also, this is the first time in recent memory that Sentai hasn't announced a new license via it's solicitations. All three of the new releases were already known titles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phoenixphire24



Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 259

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah maid-sama! And it comes out the same day as Utena. It's going to be a great anime watching week! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
_V_



Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 616

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Good news on High School of the Dead; its the closest thing Section 23 has to a "flagship series" at the moment; it was good news when we heard they were streaming it on The Anime Network in synch with its Japanese premieres; that they have the infrastructure to do that (many companies do not)....so although fitfully, they are taking steps towards adapting to the current market of digital distribution.

Of course, the rabid fans will always want the high-quality home release.

I mean that's how "TV" works in America: everyone watches stuff ad-supported, then big fans buy the DVD set.

Problem is that Japanese companies didn't seem to understand that there's no "buzz" for a show which hasn't aired on TV here and which no one has ever heard of before, you need to see it first.

Still I'm happy Section 23 got a hit show of any kind; indeed I was surprised that Section 23 actually had a booth at New York Anime Fest (well, The Anime Network) to promote High School of the Dead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1074

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Also, this is the first time in recent memory that Sentai hasn't announced a new license via it's solicitations. All three of the new releases were already known titles.


You bring up an interesting point. Also, if I'm correct since these three shows will only need one collection each I believe Sentai will have no continuing shows left, unless Golgo 13 TV, Gintama, Eyeshield 21, or Glass Mask (2005) get continued. Looking at Sentai's website seems to prove that idea as well. Also, there aren't many shows left for Sentai to re-release. There is Samurai Girls, which was simulcasted recently, but that might be too recent to expect a collection of yet. Maybe in the fall we'll see that show get released.

So I'll definitely be buying Highschool of the Dead, and here's looking forward to July, which should be filled with all new licenses!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PetrifiedJello



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 3782

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Title: DEMON KING DAIMAO COMPLETE COLLECTION
SRP: $59.98

I laughed. I appreciate the dubbing efforts, but this series is overpriced by $50.

I watched it for free on TANoD, and made it to episode 3 before giving up on it. Someone warned me it was bad. They were right.

I wish they'd have spent the resources dubbing Kimi Kiss.

Oh well. I suppose this series is enjoyed by someone out there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The King of Harts



Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 6710
Location: Mount Crawford, Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!

I knew it'd be coming out in June, just like everything else I want... Anime dazed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
You bring up an interesting point. Also, if I'm correct since these three shows will only need one collection each I believe Sentai will have no continuing shows left, unless Golgo 13 TV, Gintama, Eyeshield 21, or Glass Mask (2005) get continued. Looking at Sentai's website seems to prove that idea as well. Also, there aren't many shows left for Sentai to re-release. There is Samurai Girls, which was simulcasted recently, but that might be too recent to expect a collection of yet. Maybe in the fall we'll see that show get released.

So I'll definitely be buying Highschool of the Dead, and here's looking forward to July, which should be filled with all new licenses!


Besides them all being known licenses, it's also notable that they're releasing 2 bilingual TV releases with this batch, usually it's just one [though wasn't the Clannad movie released alongside a dubbed tv set of somethingelse too?]

anime#11769 Asides from Samurai Girls, they're also streaming Infinite Stratos. I think there might be one other I'm forgetting too..... the three shows they put out in this press release were all titles they streamed personally via TAN, I wonder if they're planning to increase this sort of release?

Curious to see what else they'll be popping up with over the summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 1805

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Also, this is the first time in recent memory that Sentai hasn't announced a new license via it's solicitations. All three of the new releases were already known titles.


You bring up an interesting point. Also, if I'm correct since these three shows will only need one collection each I believe Sentai will have no continuing shows left, unless Golgo 13 TV, Gintama, Eyeshield 21, or Glass Mask (2005) get continued. Looking at Sentai's website seems to prove that idea as well. Also, there aren't many shows left for Sentai to re-release. There is Samurai Girls, which was simulcasted recently, but that might be too recent to expect a collection of yet. Maybe in the fall we'll see that show get released.

So I'll definitely be buying Highschool of the Dead, and here's looking forward to July, which should be filled with all new licenses!


Actually Maid-Sama was a two cour series, so it will have a second collection. I imagine that will be solicited for August, should they stick to their normal schedule.

As far as re-releases, technically they have quite a few shows they could give the Funi treatment too. None of their 12-13 episode shows have been re-released, except for those that were dubbed later. They also still have a few two cour, or two season shows that were released in smaller sets, such as To Love Ru, Hidamari Sketch, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, etc. Sentai released both seasons of Mahoromatic together in one set, so they could do it with other shows as well.

Sentai also has Infinite Stratos, Samurai Girls, and Dream Eater Merry. I don't believe they have confirmed home video rights for Samurai Girls, but so far they haven't licensed any streams that they haven't intended to release on dvd or bluray.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scormio



Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 603

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Highschool of the Dead...yay! I'm not gonna have problems finding something to watch over the summer, the way things are shaping up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1764
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!

My sentiments, exactly. Me want very very very much.

=============D: <----Reaction from finding out that its going to be released on Blu-ray too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group