• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Maid-Sama! DVD, Highschool of the Dead BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
seriously. why bother dubbing something with pacing that was THAT much of a train wreck. I'm sure there's many better titles out there they haven't dubbed yet that are more deserving.

Because naked girls make more money than comedy. Commerce isn't about deserving or worthy. Masses are brainless boobie driven.

If I may play devil's advocate for a minute. Let's look at all the other shows that have received dubs: Canaan, Ghost Hound, High School of the Dead, Legends of the Dark King, Needless, Tears to Tiara, Xam'd, Guin Saga, and Clannad. Not a lot of boobage going on here.

Now let's look at the shows that haven't recieved dubs: A lot, but namely 11 eyes, AkaSaka, He is my Master, Kampfer, Koihime Muso, Nyan Koi, Kiss on my Deity, and To Love Ru. All of those are booby shows.

People always say "boobs sell", but they never get dubbed unless they have zombies. The shows that are being dubbed have wider appeal and noticeably less boobage. So, going by Sentai's track record, people can legitimately be shocked Demon King got dubbed. If I had to guess, boobs don't necessarily sell, but they're really easy to make money off of because they're cheap to acquire and don't require much work to put out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get all the hate towards Demon King Daimo. Yes, episode 7 was it? Yeah, that was pretty bad, but really, I never got the feel that there was some super special awesome plot behind the series that got totally ignored at that point. The series was all about boobs. To me it never once went above the fact that it was a big fapfest, so why the hate? It gave exactly what it promised from the very first episode. Really, I'd love for someone to give a good reason for why I should hate this as much as so many people seem to. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a masterpiece by any means. It's pure masturbatory material, but I've never once thought I should feel any different about it.

Do I think Maid-sama should have a dub before this? Well, I've never watched a dub track on any of my DVDs, but sure, it probably would be more worthy. But Demon King Daimo will probably have better sales, so they've likely made the proper choice. Keep in mind that better story, hell, better production values in no way means superior sales figures. Fapping always wins.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
TKoH - your own list of what has been dubbed and what hasn't answers the question of why Demon King got a dub. Canaan, HotD, Legends of the Dark King, Tears to Tiara and Guin Saga are action/adventure titles which Demon King can be marketed as, too. The fan service titles that don't get dubs tend to be (but not exclusively) more comedy-oriented and less action-oriented.

And any way you slice it, Maid-sama is not a "broad appeal" title, nor can it be marketed as such to the type of casual fan that distribs hope to snag in b&m locations.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the show, but I have seen this NSFW gallery and have kept up with it through the grapevine. My feelings are that if Sentai were to market DKD like they would Canaan or Guin Saga, they'd be being extremely dishonest with consumers, even more so than normal marketing. Besides, you can market Shuffle as a romance and you can market Sacred Blacksmith as a fantasy, but you don't, because that's not what they really are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, neither one of us works in the industry, but if we had to bet on which title stands a better chance of justifying a dub (based on projected profits), I'll happily take Demon King if you want to back Maid-sama.

Also keep in mind that between the two, Demon King would be cheaper to dub since its only a one cours show compared to Maid-sama's two.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh, boy...

My wallet is sure to be in the world of hurt at the end of June. I'll have to buy High School of the Dead and Demon King Daimao DVDs.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I don't really get all the hate towards Demon King Daimo. Yes, episode 7 was it? Yeah, that was pretty bad, but really, I never got the feel that there was some super special awesome plot behind the series that got totally ignored at that point. The series was all about boobs. To me it never once went above the fact that it was a big fapfest, so why the hate? It gave exactly what it promised from the very first episode. Really, I'd love for someone to give a good reason for why I should hate this as much as so many people seem to. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a masterpiece by any means. It's pure masturbatory material, but I've never once thought I should feel any different about it.

Do I think Maid-sama should have a dub before this? Well, I've never watched a dub track on any of my DVDs, but sure, it probably would be more worthy. But Demon King Daimo will probably have better sales, so they've likely made the proper choice. Keep in mind that better story, hell, better production values in no way means superior sales figures. Fapping always wins.
I checked out Demon King Daimao hoping to see something that was basically Kyo Kara Maoh but aimed at guys instead of girls. something that could balance fanservice, development, and plot and make something that could be fun. Kyo Kara Maoh managed to pull it off, to a point it actually has male fans despite its slash heavy fanservice. while that wasn't a work of genius it was still relatively well paced and fun even if slashy fanservice wasn't your ideal type of fanservice. seeing something that had the potential to do something similar succumb to terrible, train wreck pacing was almost painful to watch.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
It's funny. I always thought, when I read Maid-Sama, that it would make a good dub for an anime. Then again, I thought Viz would pick it up as well and Michelle Ruff would play Misaki.

Meh, maybe down the line, Section23 will re-release it dubbed.

Honestly, though, I haven't heard that many male actors in Section23 productions. Sure, Canaan was great, and we got Clannad, but those were always male-oriented features. Haven't seen X'amd yet, so can't tell.

And, if Maid-Sama does ever get dubbed in the future, knowing Section23, or hell, most anime productions in Texas, Misaki's gonna be played by Luci Christian.

But, who knows? Maybe they'll throw a curve. I figured Luci would play Rei in Highschool of the Dead.

God, Jessica Boone has got a nice voice. Hard to believe she's only a year younger than me. But, I ramble.

Oh, and I guess I'll watch Demon King again.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
They're dubbing Demon King Daimo and not Maid-sama? What a world...
Oh well, at least I'll be able to own Maid-sama come June.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I've never heard anything about Demon King whatever. Crying or Very sad Totally unfair.

*sigh* Well, good thing I like the seiyuu for Maid-sama! enough to buy it anyway. Hmm... Maybe hold off 'til there's a complete box set? Or would that be a bad move? Anyone?
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
The only one I've watched is HOTD, so I'm fixing to get the BD for that one. Sure hope they do away with all the censoring...
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the reason Demon King is getting a dub and not Maid-Sama is probably because one or more of the other R-number licensors got Demon King as well and passed on Maid-Sama. Those same R-no. licensors may be helping with dubbing funds.

I've noticed that the majority of Sentai's dubbed animes, including those that started out as sub-only, are/were also released (with dub) at around the same time as AU's Siren Visuals releases.

That's what I say, but then again, one never knows....

Yeah!! My first post.

Proper.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
:S What i don't get is why more people aren't bothered by Maid-sama not getting a blueray, it got one in japan so i want it on blue ray here too.

I don't care how not super detailed the animation is on maid-sama, i want a blue ray, it just makes the animation more clear. >:U
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Finally. I would have liked to have pre-ordered these during the last sale at RightStuf when there was nothing to fill my cart for free shipping. Looks like I'll just have to keep an eye out for the next time.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:36 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
If I may play devil's advocate for a minute. Let's look at all the other shows that have received dubs: Canaan, Ghost Hound, High School of the Dead, Legends of the Dark King, Needless, Tears to Tiara, Xam'd, Guin Saga, and Clannad. Not a lot of boobage going on here.

You're kidding right?

1.There's more boobage in HOTD then all of those other ones combined.
2. Canaan and ToT come in a close second.
3. Have you even SEEN Needless? Adam in a hardened lolicon and Eve doesn't own any complete shirts. Riro doesn't own any complete BRAS.
4. Clannad is a whole different kettle of fish: MOE. That sells. Period.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, neither one of us works in the industry, but if we had to bet on which title stands a better chance of justifying a dub (based on projected profits), I'll happily take Demon King if you want to back Maid-sama.

Also keep in mind that between the two, Demon King would be cheaper to dub since its only a one cours show compared to Maid-sama's two.

I'm not trying to compare Maid-sama to Demon King. I think most people are more surprised that Demon King got dubbed period. Maid-sama not getting dubbed just happens to be there. I think the comments of "DKD got dubbed? WTF" would've still happened with or without Maid-sama on the solicitations. Now, MS seems to have a nice following, and I'm sure it's fueling the fire, but that match would've been struck either way, in my opinion. I'm just saying that based on track record Demon King fits more in line with the shows that don't get dubbed than the ones that do, and I can see why people are thrown off by an initial dubbing and BD release.

@DmonHiro
First off, I already mentioned HOTD in a passing note:
Quote:
People always say "boobs sell", but they never get dubbed unless they have zombies.

Zombie apocalypses have wide appeal, at least more than hot alien chicks from space, hot chicks sexily interpreting The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, or hot fox deities. Now, certainly it has more fanservice, but the zombies save it from obscurity.

Secondly, you cannot put those shows (except for maybe Needless; haven't seen it) on the same level as To Love Ru or Koihime Muso. I get where you're trying to go with T2T, and you'd have an argument based on the first 7-8 episodes, but as far as pure ecchi content goes, it's got next to none; fanservice yes, ecchi no. You lost me on Canaan. You'll have to expand on that one. Clannad? Really? "Moe sells" and "boobs sell" have NOTHING to do with each other. Needless, OK. I haven't seen it, but from my gathering, I think you could market that as an action with heavy lolicon in it. I will, however, cave in and say that it fits in "boobs sell", even though lolis don't have boobs.

My whole post was brought about by people who yell out "boobs sell", but don't seem to notice that ecchi content isn't getting dubbed by Sentai. Sentai dubs their best sellers or projected best sellers, and aside from HOTD (which has a zombie apocalypse) and Needless, ecchi content doesn't get dubs, which tells me they aren't big sellers. The fact that Sentai keeps pumping them out does tell me, though, that they're easy to make a buck off of when acquired and released cheaply.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3