• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Maid-Sama! DVD, Highschool of the Dead BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if you are reading the same thread as I am, TKoH, but most people aren't simply expressing surprise at the fact that Demon King got a dub; rather it's the old "what??? Title A deserves a dub more than Title B!"

Second, you can't make a statement like "boobs don't sell" based solely on what Sentai chooses to sub versus dub. MB owes its existence to the principle that "boobs sell." The fact is Sentai subs most of what it puts out - REGARDLESS OF CONTENT (while sometimes dubbing later on). Tears to Tiara started its life as a sub, but then presumably got enough sales to warrant a dub.

I suspect that combination of having "Demon King" in the title, and that the show can be marketed with boobs and action made Sentai think it was worth dubbing out of the gate.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
My whole post was brought about by people who yell out "boobs sell", but don't seem to notice that ecchi content isn't getting dubbed by Sentai. Sentai dubs their best sellers or projected best sellers, and aside from HOTD (which has a zombie apocalypse) and Needless, ecchi content doesn't get dubs, which tells me they aren't big sellers. The fact that Sentai keeps pumping them out does tell me, though, that they're easy to make a buck off of when acquired and released cheaply.

Actually, ecchi shows sell pretty well, though maybe not as well as an action title might. And I believe it has less to do with the fact of whether it is dubbed or not, and more with the fact that ecchi shows have a fanbase that is fairly set in stone, whereas an action title can appeal to a broader fanbase.

For example, Funi's Sekerei has sold so well it had to be reproduced 4 times and Sentai's Nyan Koi, Kampher and Koihime Musou were selling very respectable numbers. Selling more than FMA: Brotherhood at one point. Now this doesn't mean ecchi can outsell those kind of shows on a consistent basis, but the idea that they sell poorly I don't think is accurate.

So ecchi shows don't really need dubs, since the people who buy them are going to buy regardless, there just aren't enough ecchi fans to justify the expense of a dub since they aren't interested in hearing English when they just came for the boobs.[/i]
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
My whole post was brought about by people who yell out "boobs sell", but don't seem to notice that ecchi content isn't getting dubbed by Sentai. Sentai dubs their best sellers or projected best sellers, and aside from HOTD (which has a zombie apocalypse) and Needless, ecchi content doesn't get dubs, which tells me they aren't big sellers. The fact that Sentai keeps pumping them out does tell me, though, that they're easy to make a buck off of when acquired and released cheaply.

Actually, ecchi shows sell pretty well, though maybe not as well as an action title might. And I believe it has less to do with the fact of whether it is dubbed or not, and more with the fact that ecchi shows have a fanbase that is fairly set in stone, whereas an action title can appeal to a broader fanbase.

For example, Funi's Sekerei has sold so well it had to be reproduced 4 times and Sentai's Nyan Koi, Kampher and Koihime Musou were selling very respectable numbers. Selling more than FMA: Brotherhood at one point. Now this doesn't mean ecchi can outsell those kind of shows on a consistent basis, but the idea that they sell poorly I don't think is accurate.

So ecchi shows don't really need dubs, since the people who buy them are going to buy regardless, there just aren't enough ecchi fans to justify the expense of a dub since they aren't interested in hearing English when they just came for the boobs.[/i]

I have only read about Sekerei selling out once, not 4 times, and I tend to watch the numbers when the companies actually let us know when a title is doing good, or bad(big windup) but I haven't read anything to justify your claim on sales, do you have anything to back up your statement???
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Considering Section23 (along with several other splinter companies) used to be ADV the most logical reason why they're releasing sub-only for ecchi shows is this: they will sell regardless of if there is a dub or not to many fans so releasing them without a dub means quick cash.

They're just trying to shore up their bottom line by taking advantage of fans' willingness to settle for less or not care about an English dub at all.

Personally, I'd prefer they release everything bi-lingual so all fans can equally enjoy their anime but there aren't enough fans buying anymore for that to work. (Especially with the hardcore fans moving toward straight out importing the Japanese releases and regular fans letting themselves be fooled by boots.)

Well, all I can do to show my support is buy Highschool of the Dead. The cast is pretty awesome and it's one of the better zombie series I've seen in a while. Great pacing too.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
My pre-order for the HSotD blu-ray went in immediately. It was just great timing that Rightstuf was also having a sale on Nozomi titles. June is going to be great, I'll be getting the first set of remastered Utena, and HD HSotD. Woo!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Second, you can't make a statement like "boobs don't sell" based solely on what Sentai chooses to sub versus dub. MB owes its existence to the principle that "boobs sell." The fact is Sentai subs most of what it puts out - REGARDLESS OF CONTENT (while sometimes dubbing later on). Tears to Tiara started its life as a sub, but then presumably got enough sales to warrant a dub.

I'm talking solely about Sentai and the precedent they've set for themselves. I'm saying that from what I've seen from Sentai is that ecchi shows for them aren't best sellers. As for the black hole that is Media Blasters, Queen's Blade and Kanokan apparently aren't helping them out too much since they're still spiraling in a black hole and can't even afford full print runs.

Also, T2T did start as a sub-only show, but it was one of the first shows they released after coming out of bankruptcy, so them not dubbing that off that bat isn't a shock. However, it was also one of the first shows they dubbed after they got back on their feet, so they probably couldn't afford to dub it at the time they acquired it if they wanted to. You're telling me Clannad couldn't have been dubbed up front because it was "risky"? It wasn't dubbed because they were broke at the time, and the same most likely applies to T2T.

@Faytlein
I'm not saying they sell poorly. I'm saying that they apparently aren't "big sellers" like people make them sound. So, yea, being shocked DKD got dubbed and released on BD immediately and not by Funimation (who is in it's own league) is pretty reasonable. And, sure, those shows sold better than FMA at one point. At one point Summer Wars was the number one selling animated BD on Amazon (animation in general, not just anime), but that doesn't mean it's a big seller on the same level as Tangled or Megamind. The same, I think, can be applied to Sekerei. As far as I know, it sold out once. Where is it now? It's not even on Funimation's top 100 sellers right now on Amazon. The ecchi fanbase preordered it and then a few more bought it a little later, but it wasn't consistent like big sellers are. Did it sell well, though? Absolutely, but a big seller it is not.

EDIT: One more thing. Let's say I am wrong about Sekerei being a big seller like FMA, Eden of the East, etc...Tell me another modern ecchi show that is. Exceptions aren't rules.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At one point Summer Wars was the number one selling animated BD on Amazon (animation in general, not just anime), but that doesn't mean it's a big seller on the same level as Tangled or Megamind.

Yeah... how about keeping it within TV animation and not some mega budget Hollywood crap or high quality anime movies.

Quote:
Absolutely, but a big seller it is not.

Oh, you fastidious person. Laughing

You're right boobies don't sell as much anymore. Nowadays' hits are them lolies. Because they're flat like money, they stick well together.

Quote:
EDIT: One more thing. Let's say I am wrong about Sekerei being a big seller like FMA, Eden of the East, etc...Tell me another modern ecchi show that is. Exceptions aren't rules.

That Funimation title with the martial arts trainee. The blonde who is always next to him has a massive rack.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Is Kenichi really ecchi, though? I'd call it a mild fanservice show because -at least from what I've seen since I haven't seen the show, just trailers- it feels like there's a story and Kenichi is the star of the show, and her rack is there just because. I'd have difficulty putting on the same grid as Sekirei or AkaSaka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Somehow the discussion switched to fanservice/ecchi and not boobies without me realizing. No, Kenichi isn't ecchi; it's ichi.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
It's funny. I always thought, when I read Maid-Sama, that it would make a good dub for an anime. Then again, I thought Viz would pick it up as well and Michelle Ruff would play Misaki.

Any possibility of Viz picking up the show went down the gutter when they dropped the ball and did not pick up the manga.

(Granted, we do not know the circumstances behind that, but I'm basing my statement on knowledge that Hakusensha has ties with Shueisha, so Viz generally has first crack on Hakusensha titles. If anything I said is incorrect, feel free to point that out.)
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
seriously. why bother dubbing something with pacing that was THAT much of a train wreck. I'm sure there's many better titles out there they haven't dubbed yet that are more deserving.

Because naked girls make more money than comedy. Commerce isn't about deserving or worthy. Masses are brainless boobie driven.

How much truth is in this post? 100%
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:

That Funimation title with the martial arts trainee. The blonde who is always next to him has a massive rack.

Wait. People like Kenichi? I always thought ANN lost a best and had to run those ads on the side.

That "massive rack" is horribly drawn. Anyone to f** to that should be ashamed...er.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Boob talk aside, I for one am not surprised Maid-Sama isn't getting a dub. If I remember correctly, we were lucky to even get Anime Network to risk an official stream. Shoujo anime lately just isn't what it used to be, meaning very few of it sells, and isn't even made to begin with. There's plenty of examples of the last couple years (Gakuen Alice, Emma to name two, but I still think Emma deserved the dub) that were sub only release because there wasn't believed to be a market, and there were outright failures that did get a dub (Peach Girl) because they thought it'd sell big time.

Shoujo just isn't selling anymore, but I blame what's coming out of Japan more on this versus the American market.

I'm a fan of Maid-sama and I'm not that upset. I prefer the manga to the anime, and the anime was pretty low budget to begin with. I probably won't ever really be re-watching it when I buy it anyway, so a lack of dub isn't that annoying, especially since I doubt they'd go the distance of working in a British accent when needed (did the anime even get to the British/English stuff? can't remember)
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Shoujo anime lately just isn't what it used to be, meaning very few of it sells, and isn't even made to begin with. There's plenty of examples of the last couple years (Gakuen Alice, Emma to name two, but I still think Emma deserved the dub) that were sub only release because there wasn't believed to be a market

Umm... The Emma manga ran in a seinen anthology. It isn't shoujo. Not everything involving romance is shoujo. I wouldn't have objected to a dub, but it seems that no company that produces dubs was sufficiently interested in the title.

1/2 isn't bad, though. ^_^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3