• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Actually, I will readily admit that I was originally introduced to YKK by the very capable English scanlation that is available to those who know where to look. Since then, of course, I've gone and purchased nearly the entire series in the original Japanese, and re-read them.

I may open up a can of worms by suggesting that fansubs/scanlations are sometimes justified - but, at least in this case, the scanlation served as an appetizer that made me insatiably interested in owning the original. Ideally, that's the way things ought to work... which is also why I disapprove of DVD-ripped fansubs - there has to be a perceptible difference in video quality, to give people an incentive to purchase the real thing.

Of course, with mangas, it is the sheer tactile pleasure of sitting with a bound volume in your hands that is the quality difference which incites one to purchase.

- abunai

and for this, I was reprimanded and got my messages erased Anime cry

tho i do admit posting the links was a mistake. :\
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:

and for this, I was reprimanded and got my messages erased Anime cry

tho i do admit posting the links was a mistake. :\

It was the links that did it. We don't stifle free (mature) debate, here on ANN - but we will not condone linking to copyright-infringing sites. The rules are quite clear on this distinction.

You are welcome to argue in favour of fansubs/scanlations, and debate legalities and moralities till the cows come home, so long as you can do so without descending into bad-mannered posts, and so long as you do not link to infringing sites.

Fansubs/scanlations, pro and con, is probably the hottest topic of debate in anime fandom - what sort of site would we be if we stifled discussion on this topic?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
Well, except if you can read... "Thaiwanese" ??

msi435 wrote:
Damn... I can't find a Taiwanese to English translator. -_-

OT: The language is Chinese; just like Americans don't speak "American" and Australians don't speak "Australian." Taiwanese is more a dialect than a language; it has no written form -- at least neither official nor unified, for there are many different versions created by missionaries, scholars, and political fanatics, with either Chinese characters, romanized letters, or mixtures of both. A big mess, I'd say.

Last edited by dormcat on Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
barbapapa wrote:
Well, except if you can read... "Thaiwanese" ??

msi435 wrote:
Damn... I can't find a Taiwanese to English translator. -_-

OT: The language is Chinese; just like Americans don't speak "American" and Australians don't speak "Australian." Taiwanses is more a dialect than a language; it has no written form -- at least neither official nor unified, for there are many different versions created by missionaries, scholars, and political fanatics, with either Chinese characters, romanized letters, or mixtures of both. A big mess, I'd say.

Thats why I put the questionmarks, I wasnt sure what the native language of Taiwan is. Thanks for making us a bit wiser Razz
apple pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
What's the differenve between "Aqua" and "Aria". ANN encyclopedia looks like it's describing the same thing?

Also, there was decent buzz on Aria when it was still being made. ADV #%^@ing up their manga does not signify it was not sucessful.

ADV is one of the worst managed manga companies ever. If Aria is "uncessful" and suspended — I would chalk it up to ADV screwing up marketing, scheduling, production, licensing or whatever it is they do rather than Aria not being understood by westerners.

I personally find Aria to be fantastic but I could see a niche market of young females interesting in this book much like Fruits Basket.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
What's the differenve between "Aqua" and "Aria". ANN encyclopedia looks like it's describing the same thing?

Also, there was decent buzz on Aria when it was still being made. ADV #%^@ing up their manga does not signify it was not sucessful.

ADV is one of the worst managed manga companies ever. If Aria is "uncessful" and suspended — I would chalk it up to ADV screwing up marketing, scheduling, production, licensing or whatever it is they do rather than Aria not being understood by westerners.

I personally find Aria to be fantastic but I could see a niche market of young females interesting in this book much like Fruits Basket.

Aria is the sequel of Aqua
Aqua ran for 2 volumes I think
and Aria is still going...

and I quote you on the rest
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Taiwanese is more a dialect than a language; it has no written form -- at least neither official nor unified, for there are many different versions created by missionaries, scholars, and political fanatics, with either Chinese characters, romanized letters, or mixtures of both. A big mess, I'd say.

A lesson I grudgingly learned while watching a Taiwanese TV drama in an attempt to improve my Mandarin. I was watching one of my fiance's DVDs and wandering why the heck I could barely understand it, and then he explained that I would have to turn on the Mandarin (meaning mainland, I guess) dub audio. I asked why the DVD needed two Mandarin dubs and he gave me the explaination you just did. ^^; I don't think I'm ever going to master this language! I think I'll get good enough to communicate with people in Beijing (that's the accent he has) and that's about it.

About YKK, I found out about it on this very same message board, from a combination of several posts by both abunai and dormcat. I, too, read the scanlations (I'm a bad person; feel free to chastise) and, unfortunately, did not buy the real thing yet. But I plan to! Really and truely. Those of you who are familiar with my purchasing habits know that I'm willing to spend a dime or two to support artists I really like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
well I Buy literally EVERYTHING I like to read, Im all for supporting the artist and owning the original...
But I still want YKK released in English... thats the only thing that's stopping me Anime cry
or Dutch Razz who knows, even Say Hello to Black Jack is licensed in Dutch ^____^
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
If Aria is "uncessful" and suspended — I would chalk it up to ADV screwing up marketing, scheduling, production, licensing or whatever it is they do rather than Aria not being understood by westerners.

How come Westerners would have a hard time understanding it? Maybe an Italian company will find it interesting. Wink

apple pro wrote:

Tongli categorized it as a shounen title, and artistically it's more shounen than shoujo, although its contents is rather gender unspecific.

Cloe wrote:
I asked why the DVD needed two Mandarin dubs and he gave me the explaination you just did. ^^;

Say, which one were you watching? Hopefully not something with fire or tornado.... Orz

Cloe wrote:
I don't think I'm ever going to master this language! I think I'll get good enough to communicate with people in Beijing (that's the accent he has) and that's about it.

Neither do I. Right now my Taiwanese is worse than my Japanese. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

OT: The language is Chinese; just like Americans don't speak "American"

dormcat wrote:

Neither do I. Right now my Taiwanese is worse than my Japanese. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I think you mean your chinese is worse than your japanese, since you said the language is chinese and not taiwanese in your earlier post.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Comments withdrawn. My apologies.

Last edited by dormcat on Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
hagakure|returns wrote:
I think you mean your chinese is worse than your japanese, since you said the language is chinese and not taiwanese in your earlier post.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've stated that Taiwanese can hardly be a language for its lacking of written form. So, in your opinion, what's my native language?

Surely you haven't read my personal profile and my old posts, plus you have no knowledge about the language and dialect usage in East Asia.

Next time, don't try to teach others something you are totally ignorant with. EVER.

But you can say you speak taiwanese though, which is a variant of Min-nan. But yes, chinese (manderin) is the language I speak and most of my friend. I'm not teaching you anything, you just took things the wrong way.

And how am I ignorant about taiwanese when I am Taiwanese myself and my city of Montery Park is filled with Taiwanese and chinese people.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
But you can say you speak taiwanese though, which is a variant of Min-nan. I'm not teaching you anything, you just took things the wrong way.

And how am I ignorant about taiwanese when I am Taiwanese myself and my city of Montery Park is filled with Taiwanese and chinese people.

Bwahahahahahah!!! Anime smile + sweatdrop 大水沖倒龍王廟. Terribly sorry. m(_ _)m

I can barely speak Southern Hokkien (Min-nan) dialect. In fact, in the eyes of racial/political fanatics I'm not a 'pure' Taiwanese. Twisted Evil I'm glad to hear (my first time, actually) that someone else using the proper name for this 'language' in an English forum.

Back to the topic: since you live in Montery Park, it would be easy to find Tongli's translated version of YKK. You could even ask bookstores to order them for you -- if you haven't tried this before, that is.
G. Zeus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
Minor necromancing, my apologies if the dead are disturbed.

Copy-paste from the Cafe Alpha forums:
Quote:
The nominees for the Seiun Award have been announced and guess who's one of them. Wink

If these articles are correct, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou will be competing against Busô Renkin, Karakuri Circus, Yôsei-koku no Kishi, and Death Note for the Comic category.

While being nominated alone is already an honor, winning the award would really be neat since the recognition could boost the chances of the manga getting a proper and official translation.

[update]

Oh man. Recently, YKK's been swinging/jumping between #6 and #2 in the top 10 manga list so much that I seriously can't tell if it's a bug, a tweak or another case of stuffing the ballot box. Anime hyper

Anyway, YKK's won this year's Seiun Award for science fiction comics. Hopefully, it'd get enough attention to get licensed someday or maybe even get a decent anime series like ARIA. Unlikely, but we can dream anyway.

It's also nice to see that even though the manga ended early last year, it's still gaining new fans and new reviews are still popping up in blogs and elsewhere, giving YKK more well-deserved praise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2