• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga to anime, the best and worst transitions?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberblade

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
Hello everybody Very Happy
I was thinking which is some of the good manga made into crappy anime, or vice versa if that exist...
A bad manga made into marvelous anime...well maybe made into an even better anime Very Happy

The first one that came to mind for me was Gantz
A good manga gone bad anime.

Other ideas?
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
The topic isn't necessarily a problem, but you need to go into specifics. Why is Gantz an example of a bad anime adaptation of a good manga? This is required of OPs for threads proposing topics like this; otherwise the threads tend to be locked.

And be sure to use spoiler tags as appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
This topic feels repeated, but I will add something regardless.

Rosario Vampire. Actually you might not even find the anime that bad, I sure liked it, that is until I read the manga and see how they mangled the story. I might go further and say that the first season was not too bad, you saw lots of panty shots, some events were changed (one of these worked quite well) and the lead female solved most of the problems. But the sequel season was very unnecessary in barely having any actual story progression, deciding to more slapstick or cater to "the demand". The lead male himself barely actually evolves through the series, despite the manga giving him quite a bit along with an active action role.
Cyberblade

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
I've heard that too about Rosario to Vampire. Without any knowledge of those types of mangas I see how that is a common problem with ecchi manga staying from the story and going more for the ecchi and fanservice.

The problem I have with Gantz is spoiler[that the anime has terrible pacing with some scenes lasting forever, the manga however, even though I haven't gotten far, is great in that regard.]

I would hate on xxxHolic and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles spoiler[but those anime is pretty darn great even though the magic of the crossovers dissappered.]
Touma

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Rosario Vampire. Actually you might not even find the anime that bad, I sure liked it, that is until I read the manga and see how they mangled the story.

I have never understood how that works.
The anime has not changed. It is still the same after you read the manga as it was before you read the manga, so why do you no longer like it?
Is it because you apply different standards to it after reading the manga?
If you had not read the manga would you still like the anime?
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with how you feel. It is just not something that I have experienced myself. My opinion of an anime has never changed, one way or the other, after reading the manga.

Cyberblade wrote:
I've heard that too about Rosario to Vampire. Without any knowledge of those types of mangas I see how that is a common problem with ecchi manga staying from the story and going more for the ecchi and fanservice.

It might be a problem for you, but it is not a problem for those of us who like having more ecchi content and fan service.
One of the reasons that I like the Rosario + Vampire anime, especially the second season, is the significant increase in the ecchi content. I am enjoying the manga, but I do not really enjoy being teased by things that look like they are going to be ecchi but never are.
This is a very common problem, for me, in manga. With Ken Akamatsu being one of the main offenders.

There are many different factors to consider when comparing an anime adaptation to the manga, but since we are talking about ecchi let's stay with that.

One title that was better (in the sense of being more ecchi) in the anime was Girls Bravo.
I like the manga but the anime is much more enjoyable because of the nudity. And if I am remembering correctly the banana scene was not in the manga, but it has been a long time since I read it so I might be remembering it wrong.

One that was not as good in the anime is Ai Yori Aoshi.
I saw the anime first and when I read the manga I was totally surprised by how many bare breasts I was seeing. It was a good surprise for me, but I imagine that it was a very bad surprise for some people. Considering my remarks above I want to make it clear that I do still enjoy the anime just as much as I did before, but I do wish that it was a bit more like the manga.
It does seems that the anime frequently removes any nudity that was in the manga. I think that it is probably done because the anime is shown on television.

One title that kept things about the same was Mahoromatic.
I think that there was not quite as much nudity in the anime, but it was not a big difference. There were no surprises.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I often tend to like the first version I experience. I know there have been exceptions, although I can't think of any clear examples at present. In general however:

I've never read the Ga-Rei manga, but (the odd CGI monster aside), the anime is generally regarded to be better than the source material from what I have heard, which is a pity since it is a prequel so the continuation of the story is in the original manga.

CLAMP (where Ohkawa is involved directly in the anime at least, as she use to be) seem to intentionally introduce changes in the anime compared to the manga. The one case where this lead to a clear improvement was in Angelic Layer, where I found it a lot easier to sympathise with the mother in the anime.

D.N.Angel is one where the anime made it's own ending since the manga was unfinished (and still is I believe, although the English translation ended when Tokyopop did) and it was a GOOD ending.

The original Negima anime took liberties with the source material that IMO were not in any way improvements however some of the anime-original material was actually very good, in particular the episode dedicated to Sayo. The second anime I gave up after a few episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
This will likely vary by person (especially as some favor the Brotherhood anime over the original series), but I found the manga to anime transition of Fullmetal Alchemist's first series to be of great improvement compared to the original source material. Rather than follow a conventional approach to its storytelling as the manga does, the first series takes on a more mature approach to its storytelling as it featured flaws to the heroes who face various moral dilemmas that challenge their personal beliefs and tragic villains coming from the complex developments involving the Homunculus. This is a far cry from the manga where the heroes don't face any moral challenges in their struggles and the Homunculus are portrayed to be typical villains who think themselves better than humanity. The anime also features slower pacing which allows for more emotional impact to be felt by the audience during the title's heavy moments such as spoiler[the Nina incident] and spoiler[Maes' death], which were breezed through rather quickly in the manga source material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
@Ggultra
I definitely agree with you on FMA 2003, I vastly preferred it to the manga (I never saw Brotherhood, since I do read manga quite often, which seems somewhat rare on the anime forum, I just went for the manga). I think there are little things, like making spoiler[Mae's Death] hit far harder, but there's one thing that stands out to me in particular, and that is Winry's parents (who are dead before the series starts). In the manga/Brotherhood, spoiler[Scar] is the killer and he's quite crazed at the time. In the 2003 series, it's spoiler[Roy], acting on an order he really does want to, but in full cognitive awareness. For me, the 2003 series really made it hurt more because dude, spoiler[Mustang] is the man! And many people's favorite character, so this is a pretty big deal. I personally think the 2003 series just added so much more emotion and shades of grey and gray while I thought the manga was more straight forward shonen, and Winry's parents is a key example of why for me. When I read the Basara manga, it made me realize that it was what I wished the FMA manga was, lots of grey areas, lots of characters changing, and really emotionally painful deaths for characters who really had only been around for maybe one volume. I'd suggest Basara to FMA 2003 fans before I actually recommended the FMA manga, oddly enough. Browsing the internet, I think 2003 vs Brotherhood preference is more 50-50, but since Brotherhood came out more recently and was definitely better looking, and the fans seems more vocal about it right now still, it is getting more attention right now.

Now for me!
I don't know if I should even count The Skull Man as an adaptation, except in name only. It doesn't follow the manga for even a second. The main purpose of the anime was spoiler[to act as a Cyborg 009 prequel about the villain], which is almost certainly not what the manga was about. The main guy didn't even show up in the anime as a side player, just as a red herring. Very annoying. On its own, I'm still disappointed, but attaching the manga's name absolutely did not help. Although it's hard to deny using a skull mask instead of something that looked like a mosquito mask was a good change.

The Cipher manga was great, lots of character development about a pair of twins struggling to find their own identities among their somewhat broken lives. The anime? A cheesy thirty minute hilarity fest of 80s tropes. Which isn't to say the manga didn't embrace its 80sness, it sure as hell did (and the author talked about the Thompson Twins in the side bars all the time), and I think Cipher even had a Sex Wax jacket, but boy did the OVA jump the shark, shoot it in the head, then put it in a Footloose musical wearing a Sex Wax jacket. Watch the OVA for a laugh, but please know that the manga, which does occasionally dip into 80s cheese, is a solid and awesome shojo, so don't dismiss it based on this hilariously outdated OVA.

And for one good one! Mushishi! For me, the anime added several key things. The stories were the same, but it added that lovely color palette, that epic soundtrack, and most importantly, an expert sense of pacing. For me, especially that last part, it's why I prefer the anime to the manga on this, very rare for me. It's also why I only own volumes 6-10 of the manga, and the one story from v6 that got adapted? I prefer the anime version on it. Oh and the art was rough in the early chapters, Ginko looks like he's 12 to me.
Cyberblade

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
It might be a problem for you, but it is not a problem for those of us who like having more ecchi content and fan service.
One of the reasons that I like the Rosario + Vampire anime, especially the second season, is the significant increase in the ecchi content. I am enjoying the manga, but I do not really enjoy being teased by things that look like they are going to be ecchi but never are.
This is a very common problem, for me, in manga.

I should clarify that i don't like when they remove plot and substitute it with something else, in this case it's ecchi but could also be comedy. I mean if you want more ecchi why not do a original show instead?
However adding more can be enjoyable.

I will also take a look at the Ai Yori Aoshi manga:)
Shiroi Hane wrote:
CLAMP (where Ohkawa is involved directly in the anime at least, as she use to be) seem to intentionally introduce changes in the anime compared to the manga. The one case where this lead to a clear improvement was in Angelic Layer, where I found it a lot easier to sympathise with the mother in the anime.

I have a love for clamp that rivals...my many other love(Star Trek, Star Wars, Nodame Cantabile), and I've had Angelic Layer on my special "Save-to-watch-on-a-special-day" list and now I can feel I must make that day come a little sooner. And maybe skip the manga?
Ggultra2764 wrote:
...I found the manga to anime transition of Fullmetal Alchemist's first series to be of great improvement compared to the original source material.

That's one good thing in anime that it MAKES you stop and think and feel while watching the episode/s however in the manga the reader can decide how much time you want to spend. A sidenote the spoiler[the Nina accident has been made into a measuring stick by me for this kind of black growth of disgust and sadness which I got when watching the original FMA]. The only other scene that comes close is the ending to spoiler[Seven].
Cyberblade

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa
That's right they changed who was responsible for the spoiler[Winry's parents] :O I remeber I was thinking something was amiss but it wasn't untill now I got it Smile
Mushishi I've longed for to see ever since I read somewere its regarded as a spiritual sequal to Kino's journey(by some people). The music gives alot of anime an edge which makes them more enyoable and I'm glad you brought it up. When I watch Naruto or Bleach and a power battle comes up my emotions gets more intense because of the music, even more so when the hero wins by some genius-never-saw-it-coming way. Razz
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I always love how FMA 2003 fans act like Roy spoiler[killing Winry's parents] makes him so gray and complex but ignore the fact that in the manga spoiler[he commits genocide against the Ishvalans].

But anyways FMA 2003 is a far cry from being better than the manga for me. But to each their own.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Manga fans may disagree but I felt Full Moon Wo Sagashite's anime ending was far more amazing than the manga's. The anime finished a year before the manga did. TV tropes call these types of anime endings "Gecko Endings". In my experience, they don't normally work (as in wrapping up the story in a satisfying way)...but once in a while, you can find a gem that pulls it off beautifully, such as the case with this show. I thought the writing was very good and the directing top-notch. There is actually far more character development for most of the main cast than there is in the manga, which is pretty rare. Sailormoon is definitely another example of this though. Both series had a lot of episodes to work with so it was easy to do. FM=52 verses 7 manga volumes and SM=200 verses 18 manga volumes.

Similarly, Kaitou Saint Tail's manga-to-anime transition was extremely good. Most fans actually prefer the latter...and this is probably because Megumi Tachikawa's artwork is not....."the best"....if you catch my drift. >_> But again, it was 42 episodes verses 7 volume manga. Not a wonder as to why the anime is better.

So......I would say if the number of anime episodes is far greater than the number of manga chapters, there is a good(?) chance the anime can do things the manga cannot, making it difficult to choose between them. If you have bad writers or directors that go "Let's make all these filler episodes OOC and completely pointless to the story" THEN, you'll wind up with a problem. Rolling Eyes

You'll notice that I've mostly been talking about shoujo series?
It's ironic that the worst manga-to-anime transitions are shoujo as well.

Kamichama Karin: Holy crap, I'd never been SO let down. This transition was God-awful...probably the most disappointing example I can think of but I was just that attached to the manga and just that hyped for it to be animated.
..........and Satelight done f***ed it up.
Big surprise, eh?
Rolling Eyes
The character designs and seiyuu were fine, the writing wasn't terrible, heck they DID follow the manga's story rather closely. But the character animation was atrocious and they completely failed to capture the atmosphere of the manga. Failed big time. It wasn't directed very well either.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
D.N.Angel is one where the anime made it's own ending since the manga was unfinished (and still is I believe, although the English translation ended when Tokyopop did) and it was a GOOD ending.

Personally, I hated that ending...not because it was bad writing....but just out of my personal taste. :/
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to endings, then X-TV comes to mind since it, well, actually has one Razz

On the other hand, there is Paradise Kiss, which followed the first four volumes of the manga so closely ... and then really didn't cover the fifth volume that one, to the point that the anime doesn't show spoiler[the identity of Yukari's fiance] despite the fact that it is not even remotely hidden in the manga.

I also think that Ouran High School Host Club improved upon its source material, in particular by ignoring the mangaka's decision to ignore the passage of time (don't get me wrong, I love the manga, but that is really lazy writing).

Fushigi Yuugi also improved on the manga by being both incredibly faithful (IIRC, there is only one arc in the from part 1 that isn't in the manga ... and it was used for an omake later) while also added in some anime-only stuff that was so good that it was later incorporated into the prequel manga.

Also, xxxHolic was mentioned as a good adaptation and I really have to disagree. The Kei season was actually really good but the first one put things in the wrong order and was just odd. And, of course, it looks terrible.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
I found the Kare Kano anime adaption to be great until Hideaki Anno left as director and then it was just endless recap episodes. They also only covered about 1/3 of the manga, and the characters end up developing so much more after the anime ends.

But, I think the worse manga -> anime adaption I've seen so far is the Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles series. Bee Train took everything that was good about the manga and turned it into a dragging boring mess. Sakura became a wimp and the plot progressed so slowly that it was a chore to watch. I'm so glad CLAMP pulled the plug on it because it was terrible. The OVAs are amazing though.

My favourite manga -> anime adaption is Natsume's Book of Friends. The manga is already very episodic, and it transitions really well to anime. The anime adds some gorgeous colours, beautiful music and the voices bring the characters to life. I've said before about the manga that I think it would be much more enjoyable read monthly in the magazine than as several chapters at once in book form, and I think watching it week by week works really well.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

My favourite manga -> anime adaption is Natsume's Book of Friends. The manga is already very episodic, and it transitions really well to anime. The anime adds some gorgeous colours, beautiful music and the voices bring the characters to life. I've said before about the manga that I think it would be much more enjoyable read monthly in the magazine than as several chapters at once in book form, and I think watching it week by week works really well.

Although I think Mushishi is the best manga to anime adaption, Natsume Yuujinchou is also a fantastic adaption.

The anime of the series complements the manga for me. I love both a lot, it's like getting the both of best worlds.

But even when the anime adds anime only material I think the director and script writers really get the characters and feel of Midorikawa's manga. Although not every added scene works for me some of the anime only scenes have been my favorite such as:

spoiler[When we Natsume put pictures of his friends in his closet]

spoiler[When Natsume went with Mr. Fujiwara to the Kitsune's home to take a pottery class and had a few bonding moments with him]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2