• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Publish Sailor Moon, Sailor V Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, back when I was a teenager, I watched the horrid dub of Sailor Moon at 530 in the morning before school. Being a guy of course, I kept my love of this series a closely guarded secret. I hunted and never found the anime, I spent more than should have been allowed for ADVs crappy DVD set. And my smoldering rage at Funi for teasing the license all those years ago. I had my hopes raised when I read Jason's review of the manga, but had given up hope Sailor Moon would ever see the light of day in the US ever again.

THANK YOU Kodansha for doing this for me, and all Moon fans everywhere. Expect a check mailed to you as soon as you begin, for I shall buy the whole collection, immediately.

Funi, ball is in your court now. Response to the manga seems pretty good. I expect a very good surprise for me around Otakon time.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes! This is great news! Though I can't say I didn't see this coming. Sailor Moon's international revival is underway, it's been re-licensed in over a dozen countries, and it was only a matter of time before she began to make her landing in the US again!

I'm glad these are the omnibus editions. The art is much better, and the overall release of these is just much more consistent and uniform. I'll be looking forward to adding these to my manga collection, as well as Sailor V. I've been waiting for that to be licensed for a long time! Just today, I was pondering on how disappointed I was that a movie or OVA of some sort was never made, but when I read this, I was exited that I would finally be able to hold her story in my hands in print form.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! I've been watching the international re-licensing and whatnot with extreme jealousy, but now us in the U.S. have something to be excited about. I'm so excited that they're based on the Japanese release from 2003; those volumes are so gorgeous. On the other hand, though, I can't help but think of all the money I've spent (hundreds of dollars) buying up the OOP Tokyopop volumes, some of those Japanese volumes and one of the French volumes of Codename: Sailor V. Oh well, I'll keep them for their novelty! Here's to hoping Kodansha does a good job with the translation.

Man, this has been a great few months for license-rescues. Between this, the Utena remasters and the new GE999 DVDs, this is going to be an awesome year Smile
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow....I never thought I would see the day when the manga is re-released. Maybe it might be worth a look. No place near me ever carried the original releases that I know of. Still, regardless, it's really nice to hear something like this in light of what's been going on in the world recently. *raises a glass of orange soda* Here's to the new retro! Lol.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm putting this at the top of my 'to buy when released' list. Yessir! I've had no exposure to this series, a shortcoming that I've long wanted to rectify, and I'm finally going to get the opportunity. Who knows, if the licensing impasse has finally been resolved maybe we will see an anime release in our lifetimes!

Jason's article and this news being so close does seem somewhat suspect, though. Gotta wonder just how much he may have known.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news! I can't wait to finally be able to read the manga.

Now someone license the anime (and dub it with Hilary Haag in the lead!) Smile
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I glad but, why did thet condensd Sailor Moon from 18 to 12 volumes?
And why wasn't Sailor V brought to the United States eariler?
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
First the Utena DVD Set, and now this! WOW!
The Classics are back!!!
Can't wait to read these! Very Happy
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
My wallet was weeping.

Now it's bawling like there's no tomorrow.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

THANK YOU, KODANSHA!! THIS IS GREAT, GREAT NEWS!

Last edited by Crisha on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
One request to Kodansha USA: please keep the right-to-left reading style intact. Here in the USA, translated manga for the most part are read right-to-left to keep the artist's original artwork intact.

Given that Kodansha is one of the three rights holders of the Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon anime (the others being mangaka Naoko Takeuchi and Toei Animation), I hope this opens the way for re-release of the first four seasons of the anime in the USA and the long-awaited release of the Sailor Stars season. Cool
Firousi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
My wallet was weeping.

Not it's bawling like there's no tomorrow.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

THANK YOU, KODANSHA!! THIS IS GREAT, GREAT NEWS!

ITA! I think I hear my debit card making an escape. Sailor Moon is what got me started into anime and manga in the first place and I would LOVE to replace what old copies I have because they have literally fallen apart on me.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Lol, while everyone here is crying for joy at this news, I'm sure once I tell my friend about this she'll be crying in despair =D Because just last month she completed her collection of Sailor Moon via the outrageous prices on Ebay and Amazon. I DID tell her that Sailor Moon would probably be re-released but she's the type of person who never listens to anyone else. She'll probably blame this on me saying I jinxed her or something =P

I myself am not going to purchase this series but I do hope that Kodansha does a way better job with this than Akira and whatnot.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
As some have pointed out, their Negima omnibus reissue will apparently contain some updates to the translation, so I'm assuming they won't be using Tokyopop's old translation- their press release on their website says that they'll be retouching the art and the dialogue, so it should be from the new japanese edition's image files [I'm guessing it's also possible Takeuchi touched up some artwork], with a new translation .

I imagine they kept the Akira and GITS translations because they were their first titles, and they wanted to test the market. That, and Studio Proteus is known for their quality, so why fix what's not broken?

Chii85 wrote:
I glad but, why did thet condensd Sailor Moon from 18 to 12 volumes?
And why wasn't Sailor V brought to the United States eariler?

The contents are all the same, and in mostly the same order- it's based on the 2003 japanese reissue that came about when Naoko Takeuchi's rights reverted back and she worked out issues with Kodansha.

Basically, they shuffled all the sidestories/shortstories into their own 2 volumes, and then formatted the rest of the series into 12 volumes. This is similar to Omnibus editions we've gotten here, though is more like the Wideban's you see in Japan- basically, instead of about 180 pages a volume these will be around 230 pages a volume. Nothing's being left out or dropped. It's a pretty common thing in Japan, and as titles get reissued here, is becoming a standard thing for titles being reissued.

Though here, normally it's more along the lines of taking 2-4 volumes and packaging them together- like Dark Horse's CLAMP omnibuses, or VIZ's 3-in-1 and VIZBIG collections.

Anyhoo, this new edition will use the new cover art Naoko Takeuchi did for the series in Japan, as well as some new and touched up art apparently.

As for Sailor V, I'm guessing it not being available here might of been due to the general issues that've kept Sailor Moon out of print- Tokyopop may not of had a chance to license it at the time. It was issued in French trades by Glenat for frenchspeaking markets, and that was a 3 volume release, so I'm assuming that the 2 volume Kodansha edition will be similar to the Sailor Moon reissue- collect the chapters into 2 larger books, rather than 3 smaller ones.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
OMG, I've been waiting for this, like forever! Sailor Moon was the first series that got me into anime and manga, and I never had the opportunity to buy the Mixx version when it was around. I wonder if the new version will keep Usagi's name as "Usagi" or to "Bunny". Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10