• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Publish Sailor Moon, Sailor V Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This amused me Anime smile---

http://twitter.com/radiomaru/status/48897647972585472

"PRE+SEQUEL=PREQUEL! Sailor V is not a PREQUEL, it was done BEFORE sailor moon argh kill me argh nerds why oh god nobody cares"

Bryan Lee O'Malley wants us to know- Sailor V was made before Sailor Moon, so it is not a prequel in the "flashback sequel made after the original" sense. Rather, it's the original, and Sailor Moon's the spinoff.

Such is the extent of Sailor Moon in nerdom.

I have this wierd feeling there's going to be so many people in their 20's and 30's squealing about "Outer Senshi", "Death Busters/Bastards*" and "Sailor Galaxia" getting wierd looks from tween Naruto cosplayers at conventions this summer.

*yes, in the french edition, the Death Busters are the Death Bastards. I have no idea why. I just know Kaori Knight's a bad-ass.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Hollynoel wrote:
BEST NEWS EVER!
No. Razz

Nice to hear this, though. I'm not a manga dude, but I remember watching SM all the time when I was a kid. Glad to see it coming back.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Chii85 wrote:
I glad but, why did thet condensd Sailor Moon from 18 to 12 volumes?
And why wasn't Sailor V brought to the United States eariler?

The contents are all the same, and in mostly the same order- it's based on the 2003 japanese reissue that came about when Naoko Takeuchi's rights reverted back and she worked out issues with Kodansha.

There actually were some changes to the text and drawings.

Paploo wrote:
This amused me Anime smile---

http://twitter.com/radiomaru/status/48897647972585472

"PRE+SEQUEL=PREQUEL! Sailor V is not a PREQUEL, it was done BEFORE sailor moon argh kill me argh nerds why oh god nobody cares"

Bryan Lee O'Malley wants us to know- Sailor V was made before Sailor Moon, so it is not a prequel in the "flashback sequel made after the original" sense. Rather, it's the original, and Sailor Moon's the spinoff.

While it was published first, the final chapter wasn't published until several months after the end of Sailor Moon.
manga1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh yea, finaly some good news in the world, and out of japan as well as that man they pulled out of the rubble from the earthquake after 8 days alive.

I did not think we would ever see any sailor moon products in the states after Naoko refused to allow stuff to be licensed back in 04, back when she was made as the butcher job the North American dub was, and they did not pick up the live action of it.

Now she might reconsider letting the anime come over again and this time it will be in full release and done uncut.

Lets just see with the manga release first.

signed Jeremy manga1
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
This is such awesome news!! Way to go, Kodansha USA!
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
It's about time.

I've been missing 6 volumes in the graphic novel style (I have all the loose issues that where released)...
...and I refused to buy them from greedy people who want people to pay $200 for a volume for the badly translated ones.

I'm glad I held off on buying the Japanese version now. I was going to buy it a few month ago but ended up buying something else.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Ha. On a whim I bought a random volume of the old TokyoPop/Mixx editions last time I was rummaging through some old books at my comic shop back home. I find the whole history of manga coming to America interesting. Of course back then in high school I was more interested in Dark Horse's Lone Wolf and Cub. I wanna say that was one of my first manga. Though certainly Sailor Moon was a big one back then too. Nice to see it's back in print.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Utena remastered AND Sailor Moon + Sailor V?

Best year of my anime fan life. Only thing that can make it better is a Cardcaptor Sakura anime rescue.
bbollier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Yay! I don't know if I'll be picking up Sailor Moon since I have the orginal Tokyopop/Mixx books (I'd love to, but money is tight and there are other manga I've yet to read), but Sailor V is a must for me! Anime catgrin
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
Spectacular.

I am so thrilled that Sailormoon is being brought back to the US. It's my favorite anime, and I absolutely love that a new generation will be able to enjoy it now, in print.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
How is the manga compared to the anime? I watched most of the original series but skipped a lot of the later episodes to get to the end since it got so repetitive (monster of the week and all).
shasunatang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
I could never finish collecting the old Mixx version since manga wasn't that common around here back then. I'm already buying the Japanese books, the last batch I ordered should be here in about a week. Still, I'm a bit tempted to buy the US release too now that they're finally bringing the series back to english-speakers.

The really cool part of the news to me is Sailor V. It seems to be out of print in Japan and I've been wanting to read it for so long Smile

And Covnam, you should try the manga. I must admit I've only read 1/3 of it, but it's a lot better than the anime. Although I love them both.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
You know I tried finding the old MIXX COMICS (Before Tokyopop was called Tokyopop) editions of Sailor Moon but it was neigh impossible!

This is good news.

I would buy them if only for nostalgia's sake. Its like reclaiming a little piece of my childhood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
How is the manga compared to the anime? I watched most of the original series but skipped a lot of the later episodes to get to the end since it got so repetitive (monster of the week and all).

I prefer the manga to the anime myself. It doesn't have the repetitive battles.

It's also quite different in various regards. The Senshi never get their final costumes in the anime, there are different explanations behind various characters and events (including the back-back story of the entire thing), there are characters (from Stars) that you never see in the anime, and the ending of the manga is VERY different.

I can't say much of the major differences because its a spoiler...that's just how different they are. I love the anime and the manga, but I take them as different entities.[/quote]
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote
In not so many words, Toei were NOT on their A game when Sailor Moon Stars was being adapted (It was also when GT was on air too, so that should give some indication).

Which is a shame too, first seven episodes of Stars are easily some of the best of the whole series and could have served as a brilliant finalé if Cloverway had just thought things through for the US/CAN adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10