• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Asahi Top 100 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Yeah, I was also wondering about the double entry for Cutey Honey. For that matter, I'm wondering why it's even on the list. Decent shows must have been few and far between back in the days of the original Cutey Honey if it's the nostalgia factor playing in.

Hey hey HEY. Cutey Honey is great. I mean...I mean...Cutey Honey!!

It's kind of weird to see JEEG over Mazinger Z in that first list. I mean, not that I have anything major against The King of the Micronauts (aside from his color scheme causing permanent damage to my eyes), but...Mazinger Z!
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop didn't make the list? Are they *nuts*?!! Surprised

Tammy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
You know, my second post referencing Bleach was more of a joke referencing my first post. Depsite that, I still don't see what's so great about One Piece.

rond556 wrote:
I'm still a bit confused with Ultimate Muscle and Zatch Bell. And now I'm intrigued to check out this Pani Poni Dash show

I can't tell you about the first one, but I have reason to believe Zatch Bell has at least a cult following, that reason being the Pocky Box Mechs (Vulcan 300 or whatever it was)
Jin Curry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Score for HunterxHunter! And the tv series at least finished in 1999 or 2000, so it's pretty old, just remembered well. Anime cry Oh how fast they grow up... More people should really watch it *hinthint* Hmm, and that's all I care to say. I'm more of a manga person anyhow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
houko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Quote:
53. Cutey Honey
54. Cutey Honey

Am I reading this correctly? Confused

Yikes! Sorry for the mistake -- of course, _now_ I'd notice it. My first post here and its an apology... Rolling Eyes

54. Obake no Q-taro

If anyone knows how to correct that, please go ahead and do so. Sorry again!
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:
Cowboy Bebop didn't make the list? Are they *nuts*?!! :o

Tammy

Popularity in the US does not equate to popularity in Japan.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that two of the better anime, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, failed to make the list. They're like Donnie Darko, I suppose; they bombed in general, but met the audience who would appreciate them later.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
What anime list is the one that has Furuba on the top list for a region in Japan? PS, Tomino and Takakashi series aren't surprising that they made the list.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, like I thought, it's fanscinating how different everything is perceived! *for the most part*
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:14 am Reply with quote
See, now this list is MUCH better. The first one was just a matter of what's currently trendy and hot-this one is a much better example of shows that really have earned the right to be called great. It's no coincidence that most of the shows on the list are older-you can't really tell if something is great until several years have passed, after all. The test of time is the only test that matters. If a show went off the air twenty years ago and you still love and remember it enough to vote for it, there's the proof that it was great.

And also, for relativly newer Conan and One Piece to place so high among megaclassics like Gundam and Lupin is quite an accomplishment. Of course, both of them have been around for hundreds of episodes and nearly a decade's worth of manga, so it's not like they're all that new either.

Anyway, I think it's important to remember that the show in the number two slot does NOT have a "Z" in its title, proving once again that DBZ can't hold a candle to its prequel.

Though I too am surprised that Bebop didn't make the cut. Also, Kodocha.
Daiou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually if you go by total sales isn't Kochikame second. I'd have to dig up that info again (it was old, though), but I think it lead by a OP by a decent margin.

Kochi Kame is only really leading in sales because it's a much longer series. The longest running in SJ, in fact. One Piece isn't even near that length, and as such, its sales are pretty impressive. Over 100 million copies sold with only 38 volumes out is quite an accomplishment.
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Anyway, I think it's important to remember that the show in the number two slot does NOT have a "Z" in its title, proving once again that DBZ can't hold a candle to its prequel.

I think by "Dragonball" it actually meant DB and DBZ, much like "Gundam" counts for the mass amounts of shows with Gundam in the title rather than just one of the series..
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
It's interesting that two of the better anime, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop, failed to make the list. They're like Donnie Darko, I suppose; they bombed in general, but met the audience who would appreciate them later.

Both Trigun and Cowboy Bebop were not that popular in Japan.
Like I said earlier, it's mostly the long running shonen titles that really make a big impact in japan and would be comparable to something like Micky Mouse or Looney Tunes here.

Wyvern wrote:

Though I too am surprised that Bebop didn't make the cut. Also, Kodocha.

Again, those show might have a huge following in the U.S., in Japan, they aren't really that popular.

Also Dragon Ball Z is just call dragon ball in japan. So your assume is wrong as Dragon Ball cover everything fro DB to DBZ.

In other words, there is no DBZ in japan, it's just call dragon ball. Very Happy

Joe Mello wrote:
Depsite that, I still don't see what's so great about One Piece.

Don't base your assumption on the US 4kids version and go read the manga. It's all about being original. Comparing to the many SJ title out there, one piece has a unique art style, a unique plot device (pirates) and is a fun adventure with a great cast. Bleach, while good, is basically the same old thing as many series out there (Kekkaishi for example). High school kid out to save the world from "evil" spirit while dealing with the responsiblity of a teenager.
Captainkhyron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Sad day when Dragonball beats Evangelion.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Captainkhyron wrote:
Sad day when Dragonball beats Evangelion.
Oh boo the friggn' ho. Yeah, there are more fans of Dragonball in Japan then there are of Evangelion and the looks of it, there 97/98 series behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5