• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Creamy Mami Episodes 1 - 7 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
ComSR wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
I don't think this review says anything about where this series is streaming. Confused

AnimeSols: Creamy Mami episodes
It's unfortunately US/Canada only, though. Sad

Unless you have any "friends" in the US or canada.
Which as someone who routinely ships to people international everyday I can say that is very easy to do.

But its streaming only at this point, and will get produced on home video if it makes its target. Its already 28% there, so will likely make it, but to watch it today, some form of punking the region detector would be required.

If it makes it, fulfillment will be by TRSI, and if it just barely makes it entirely on $40 volume pledges, it will have about half of its 1,000 production run available from TSRI.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Heh, that title makes the show sound like it's Hentai.

So I'm not the only person who thought that. Anime hyper

Me three
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Our friends at ANN reviewed Creamy Mami! Will the forum thread devolve into a flame war about moe in the 1980s?

Creamy Mami is moeshit killing the anime industry. We'll never make it to 1985 if this crap continues to be made.

Joking aside, we know it was an anime targeted at kids, but that Alien X OVA from 1987 wasn't, that was absolutely meant for otaku who wanted to see all four girls together in a style closer to Iczer-1 or BGC. Sort of like how PreCure today has thousands of otaku fans who contribute fanart, doujins, and are reciprocated with awesome official figures and other merchandise clearly not intended for 8 year old girls. I'd have loved to see a full series where they're constantly transformed and in those bodysuits, but that's setup and plot OVA in particular reminded me of Sailor Moon R's film, with fighting the enemy in space on the moon or planetoid or something.

Since we've started seeing a ton of classic and contemporary early 80s anime on BD like Minky Momo and Urusei Yatsura, I hope Mami gets that treatment soon. Even with their limited budgets and color palettes, digesting something with all of the grime and bleeding colors removed is much easier.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. Maybe I can slip into the innocent 80s mindset more easily, but I never saw Midori's affections as creepy. I think at a couple of points I thought it was weirder than they'd perhaps intended, though.

A lot of classic magical girl series really had strong, original characters and a great command of episodic storytelling structure. Yuu is an irrepressible ball of runs-around-doing-whatever-the-fudge-she-wants, and she's portrayed absolutely true to that "energetic lead" characterisation and, as the review notes, a normal kid. The episodic nature of the series isn't quite as good as, say, Cowboy Bebop, but for a kid's show it's fantastic. Each episode really feels like a worthwhile exercise in spending time, rather than wasting it to maintain children's attention and sell them things. It had some damn impressive writing.

Difficulty in distinguishing between Nega and Poji and Pigu and Mogu is kind of a nonsensical criticism, considering that Creamy Mami came out more than twenty-four years before Fancy Lala, and even Fashion Lala was nearly four years after Creamy Mami finished.
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode on Sols, but found the main character kinda boring. Was sorta confused by why they chose her to be a magical girl.

I really wanna like anime (and cartoons) based on good and bad rather than old or new, but I watch this and under the impression it's never gonna "blow my mind." Something keeps telling me that "later stuff came along and paved the way for anime to be edgier/risk-taking" yet I often come across guys in their 30s and 40s who think anime was better back then. Makes me start to believe these guys think it's "bad" for anime to cover new territory/do more mature stuff . . .

I mean, I don't know what to believe, y'know, when supposedly smarter older people are slamming the things you thought were works of art . . .

EDIT: To clarify, I do believe shows like Nadia give me what I like about a lot of modern anime. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being older, just that I thought people are saying current anime is "bad" whereas I can't think of many stuff from the 80s or earlier that went places where shows like Utena, Serial Experiments Lain, Madoka or From the New World went, unless someone can prove me wrong.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I watched the first episode on Sols, but found the main character kinda boring. Was sorta confused by why they chose her to be a magical girl.

I really wanna like anime (and cartoons) based on good and bad rather than old or new, but I watch this and under the impression it's never gonna "blow my mind." Something keeps telling me that "later stuff came along and paved the way for anime to be edgier/risk-taking" yet I often come across guys in their 30s and 40s who think anime was better back then. Makes me start to believe these guys think it's "bad" for anime to cover new territory/do more mature stuff . . .

I mean, I don't know what to believe, y'know, when supposedly smarter older people are slamming the things you thought were works of art . . .

EDIT: To clarify, I do believe shows like Nadia give me what I like about a lot of modern anime. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being older, just that I thought people are saying current anime is "bad" whereas I can't think of many stuff from the 80s or earlier that went places where shows like Utena, Serial Experiments Lain, Madoka or From the New World went, unless someone can prove me wrong.

I think that probably the most important thing to keep in mind with Creamy Mami is that it really was intended for a child audience. There were shows from the 1980s, and earlier; look at Rose of Versailles, that had the kind of impact you're talking about, but this one really was just to entertain little kids and maybe sell some toys. Not that kids' shows can't do more than that, but a lot of the value here is simply having a sort of time capsule. Madoka and PreCure are where we are now, Creamy Mami is where we started, and shows like Sailor Moon form the bridge between them. I'm not trying to "prove you wrong," though. Just offering my own view of things, which does tend towards the historical. Smile It's not bad for things to change, no matter what nostalgia tells us in the privacy of our heads.

jymmy wrote:
Difficulty in distinguishing between Nega and Poji and Pigu and Mogu is kind of a nonsensical criticism, considering that Creamy Mami came out more than twenty-four years before Fancy Lala, and even Fashion Lala was nearly four years after Creamy Mami finished.

Yeah, I know. It just kept happening to me over and over! I think that's more a factor of the order in which they arrived on our shores (so to speak), and it certainly does speak to the formula Pierrot used, which is more how I should have phrased it. Next time.

enurtsol wrote:
Gotta blame Cream Lemon.

You beat me to saying that! Very Happy
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

ALRIGHT! LET'S GET THIS SHIT CLEANED UP. 'Dark' does not equal 'Good' and 'Light' does not equal bad. You can just take that opinion and sale it off on a 'nice boat' somewhere. Writing is what makes the story. There are as many well-written series with a light tone as there are badly written series with a dark tone.
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I think that probably the most important thing to keep in mind with Creamy Mami is that it really was intended for a child audience. There were shows from the 1980s, and earlier; look at Rose of Versailles, that had the kind of impact you're talking about, but this one really was just to entertain little kids and maybe sell some toys. Not that kids' shows can't do more than that, but a lot of the value here is simply having a sort of time capsule. Madoka and PreCure are where we are now, Creamy Mami is where we started, and shows like Sailor Moon form the bridge between them. I'm not trying to "prove you wrong," though. Just offering my own view of things, which does tend towards the historical. Smile It's not bad for things to change, no matter what nostalgia tells us in the privacy of our heads.

Thanks Rebecca! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Been meaning to give Rose of Versailles a look.

zeo1fan wrote:
ALRIGHT! LET'S GET THIS SHIT CLEANED UP. 'Dark' does not equal 'Good' and 'Light' does not equal bad. You can just take that opinion and sale it off on a 'nice boat' somewhere. Writing is what makes the story. There are as many well-written series with a light tone as there are badly written series with a dark tone.

I know, what was bugging me more was like I felt like people were saying "Old anime is better because it's better for stuff to be simple instead of take risks and risks and go places." And I was hearing that stuff from older people, so I felt like there was something telling me "He's older and smarter than you, so he's probably right even if it doesn't work with your logic." I also don't think that darker always means better.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:30 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

Older anime wasn't generally as edgy as your mid-90s onward series, but there were utterly fantastic shows and crap shows from all eras. There were also shows that made huge impacts on the industry as a whole - the last of those would be Evangelion, and the earliest would probably be Space Battleship Yamato in terms of going against a current state to influence future anime. If you want an example of a show that is "out there" in the 80s, I'll point you in the direction of Creamy Mami's contemporary magical girl series Minky Momo. Episode 45 and the season finale were psychological, huge in scope and thematic content and quality, certainly comparable to Madoka. There's less pretentious dialogue and melodrama, but the quality is absolutely there. Obviously you're not going to find that a lot in children's anime like Creamy Mami, but it's still a solid, well-written series.

In regards to finding Yuu boring, I can't help but think that's a personal reaction. She's a well-written, convincing character and I think she's at least as interesting as Usagi, Sakura or Madoka. More interesting than Nanoha. Appropriateness to being a magical girl they'd probably beat her on - but who gives a crap? Quality of characterisation is what matters. It's also more of a dual-life/idol type show than a magical girl show in the modern definition, anyway.

There are fewer anime back then that "blow your mind" with explosions and melodrama and having philosophical themes explained to you by voiceover but perhaps more that did so with well-written characters and drama and a more old-fashioned sense of imagination.

zeo1fan wrote:
'Dark' does not equal 'Good' and 'Light' does not equal bad. You can just take that opinion and sale it off on a 'nice boat' somewhere.

Wink

Princess_Irene wrote:
It just kept happening to me over and over! I think that's more a factor of the order in which they arrived on our shores (so to speak), and it certainly does speak to the formula Pierrot used, which is more how I should have phrased it. Next time.

True, true, although Creamy Mami was the first to use what later became a formula. Really, I think you should edit everything you're ever written on Fancy Lala to say Pigu and Mogu look too much like Nega and Poji.
(Disclaimer: I do not think you should edit everything you're ever written on Fancy Lala to say Pigu and Mogu look too much like Nega and Poji).
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Crystal wrote:

Older anime wasn't generally as edgy as your mid-90s onward series, but there were utterly fantastic shows and crap shows from all eras. There were also shows that made huge impacts on the industry as a whole - the last of those would be Evangelion, and the earliest would probably be Space Battleship Yamato in terms of going against a current state to influence future anime. If you want an example of a show that is "out there" in the 80s, I'll point you in the direction of Creamy Mami's contemporary magical girl series Minky Momo. Episode 45 and the season finale were psychological, huge in scope and thematic content and quality, certainly comparable to Madoka. There's less pretentious dialogue and melodrama, but the quality is absolutely there. Obviously you're not going to find that a lot in children's anime like Creamy Mami, but it's still a solid, well-written series.

In regards to finding Yuu boring, I can't help but think that's a personal reaction. She's a well-written, convincing character and I think she's at least as interesting as Usagi, Sakura or Madoka. More interesting than Nanoha. Appropriateness to being a magical girl they'd probably beat her on - but who gives a crap? Quality of characterisation is what matters. It's also more of a dual-life/idol type show than a magical girl show in the modern definition, anyway.

There are fewer anime back then that "blow your mind" with explosions and melodrama and having philosophical themes explained to you by voiceover but perhaps more that did so with well-written characters and drama and a more old-fashioned sense of imagination.

zeo1fan wrote:
'Dark' does not equal 'Good' and 'Light' does not equal bad. You can just take that opinion and sale it off on a 'nice boat' somewhere.

Wink

Princess_Irene wrote:
It just kept happening to me over and over! I think that's more a factor of the order in which they arrived on our shores (so to speak), and it certainly does speak to the formula Pierrot used, which is more how I should have phrased it. Next time.

True, true, although Creamy Mami was the first to use what later became a formula. Really, I think you should edit everything you're ever written on Fancy Lala to say Pigu and Mogu look too much like Nega and Poji.
(Disclaimer: I do not think you should edit everything you're ever written on Fancy Lala to say Pigu and Mogu look too much like Nega and Poji).

Though Nanoha did at least have a unique resolve. I think more Magical Girls should dedicate time to target practice. Not everyone has the bone-crushing power Sailor Moon had, nor the ephemeral charm of Princess Tutu.

Is Crystal maybe looking for affirmation that edgier, challenging series aren't being shut out? I know it might seem like that for some people; Utena doesn't get nearly enough love on this side of the ocean even though it (alongside Evangelion) was so important to moving the medium of television anime forward. I guarantee you there are people around willing to discuss such stories.

On an unrelated subject, if you want to affirm that older series can deliver a gut-punch or two, I recommend trying Rose Of Versailles over at Viki. It's an epic tragedy framed around the events of the French Revolution and it was helmed by legendary director Osamu Dezaki. You won't be disappointed.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
If that last sentence was directed at me, I'm currently reading the manga (it's pretty fantastic). If not, never mind.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
If that last sentence was directed at me, I'm currently reading the manga (it's pretty fantastic). If not, never mind.

Oh; it wasn't. But I'm glad to see it's getting modern exposure. Very Happy Rock on, Frieza-headed dude.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

Thanks Rebecca! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Been meaning to give Rose of Versailles a look.

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help. Smile Do give Rose of Versailles a look if you get a chance - it really is good.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
ComSR wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
I don't think this review says anything about where this series is streaming. Confused

AnimeSols: Creamy Mami episodes
It's unfortunately US/Canada only, though. Sad

This is something that's bothered me for quite a while. Is there some sort of official ANN policy against including company links in reviews? It's rather frustrating to read a review of a series, decide said series looks interesting, and then have to sleuth around to find out where I can see the bloody thing.

Unless you're only writing reviews for people who have already seen the show -- in which case, what's the point?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Put cream, milk or cheesecake in the title, and everyone will instantly assume the show has something to do with hentai. It just goes to show you how years of porn can easily corrupt our minds. Maybe people should just stop eating dairy. XD

Well, this is one of those classic gone-but-not-completely-forgotten shows that at least warrants a watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4