• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Creamy Mami Episodes 1 - 7 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
As far as new vs. old, I don't think it is necessarily about not being edgy, I just think that there generally wasn't as high quality stuff as there is now. Some of the stuff was groundbreaking at the time, but since then the concepts have been refined and made generally better since. At the time something may have been a 10, but when there are generally higher quality similar shows, that drops it's number a little bit. This isn't at all to say that old stuff is bad and new stuff is good, there is plenty of older gold and newer crap, it's just things were somewhat unrefined back then. It was trying to be wacky cartoons, and now it is more refined into anime as we know it. There are absolutely still classics back then though that hold up perfectly today. Also as far as people who think older anime is better, I think that is nostalgia talking. When you think back to older years, which titles do you remember? Only the best of the best. Not all the lesser titles that came alone with them.

That doesn't really apply to Creamy Mami though; that was just a fun show to entertain the kids. Just thought I would contribute to the discussion.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Citizen Klaus wrote:
ComSR wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
I don't think this review says anything about where this series is streaming. Confused

AnimeSols: Creamy Mami episodes
It's unfortunately US/Canada only, though. Sad

This is something that's bothered me for quite a while. Is there some sort of official ANN policy against including company links in reviews? It's rather frustrating to read a review of a series, decide said series looks interesting, and then have to sleuth around to find out where I can see the bloody thing.

Unless you're only writing reviews for people who have already seen the show -- in which case, what's the point?

These reviews will be on this site indefinitely, while streaming contracts are frequently short and limited. Hundreds of thousands of people dig through the reviews archive daily, often researching older shows, checking out reviews that are 5+, sometimes 10+ years old. Having a mountain of streaming reviews with dead links to defunct services, pages for series on active services that have long expired, this only creates a scenario where we're going through hundreds of streaming reviews each year removing links.

I'd rather just review the content, attach the 'streaming' label so people know that's how the show is available and trust their ability to do a basic google search.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

These reviews will be on this site indefinitely, while streaming contracts are frequently short and limited. Hundreds of thousands of people dig through the reviews archive daily, often researching older shows, checking out reviews that are 5+, sometimes 10+ years old. Having a mountain of streaming reviews with dead links to defunct services, pages for series on active services that have long expired, this only creates a scenario where we're going through hundreds of streaming reviews each year removing links.

I'd rather just review the content, attach the 'streaming' label so people know that's how the show is available and trust their ability to do a basic google search.

Thanks for the explanation, Zac. I see where you're coming from, though I still feel it would help to give your readers some sort of guidance, especially for folks who may not be savvy enough to pick a legitimate source out of Google search results. Perhaps a non-linked statement to the effect that, "At the time of writing, this series was available for streaming at [X, Y, Z, etc.]." It would help contemporary readers narrow things down without unduly misleading future archive-diggers.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
As far as new vs. old, I don't think it is necessarily about not being edgy, I just think that there generally wasn't as high quality stuff as there is now. Some of the stuff was groundbreaking at the time, but since then the concepts have been refined and made generally better since. At the time something may have been a 10, but when there are generally higher quality similar shows, that drops it's number a little bit. This isn't at all to say that old stuff is bad and new stuff is good, there is plenty of older gold and newer crap, it's just things were somewhat unrefined back then. It was trying to be wacky cartoons, and now it is more refined into anime as we know it. There are absolutely still classics back then though that hold up perfectly today. Also as far as people who think older anime is better, I think that is nostalgia talking. When you think back to older years, which titles do you remember? Only the best of the best. Not all the lesser titles that came alone with them.

That doesn't really apply to Creamy Mami though; that was just a fun show to entertain the kids. Just thought I would contribute to the discussion.

I think it's a bit presumptuous for many modern fans to comment empirically on older anime since their exposure to older anime is generally limited. When a kiddie anime from the 80s happens to come along, you can't just go "Oh, it confirms my suspicions after all. The 80s were so tame and uneventful." It'd just like a newbie just happening to pick up a show like Kodomo no Jikan and saying "So it confirms my suspicions after all. All anime I've seen are about lolis and fanservice. Therefore anime is all lolis and fanservice." Obviously, that's so stupid an attitude to take.

The fact is we have access to almost every anime show airing in Japan now so we have a pretty good sense for the general environment in today's anime. For older stuff, less so. There are still hundreds of anime from the 70s and 80s most people here have either never seen or heard of. How many people here have seen the entire run of Touch? Or The Kabocha Wine?

The biggest difference between now and in the past, from a creative standpoint, is the advent of cable/pay TV stations in Japan. In the past, anything you couldn't do on regular TV they did it on OVA. The strength of cable/pay TV is that you can flesh out longer stories better. The strength of an OVA is that if a show sucks, you won't have to worry about 12 or 13 more episodes wasting air time.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

I think it's a bit presumptuous for many modern fans to comment empirically on older anime since their exposure to older anime is generally limited. When a kiddie anime from the 80s happens to come along, you can't just go "Oh, it confirms my suspicions after all. The 80s were so tame and uneventful." It'd just like a newbie just happening to pick up a show like Kodomo no Jikan and saying "So it confirms my suspicions after all. All anime I've seen are about lolis and fanservice." Obviously, that's so stupid an attitude to take.

The fact is we have access to almost every anime show airing in Japan now so we have a pretty good sense for the general environment in today's anime. For older stuff, less so. There are still hundreds of anime from the 70s and 80s most people here have either never seen or heard of. How many people here have seen the entire run of Touch? Or The Kabocha Wine?

The biggest difference between now and in the past, from a creative standpoint, is the advent of cable/pay TV stations in Japan. In the past, anything you couldn't do on regular TV they did it on OVA. The strength of cable/pay TV is that you can flesh out longer stories better. The strength of an OVA is that if a show sucks, you won't have to worry about 12 or 13 more episodes wasting air time.

I'd just like you to know, I'm appreciative of your reference to Touch. Smile
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
As far as new vs. old, I don't think it is necessarily about not being edgy, I just think that there generally wasn't as high quality stuff as there is now. Some of the stuff was groundbreaking at the time, but since then the concepts have been refined and made generally better since. At the time something may have been a 10, but when there are generally higher quality similar shows, that drops it's number a little bit.

That is complete & utter bullcrap. If something was a "10" back in the day then it still is a "10", because without it the later titles that "refined" those concepts & were "made generally better since" wouldn't have been made in the first place, or at least in the way that they were made. This is like saying that Casablanca isn't that good anymore because the whole "romance during a war" concept has been done like crazy since 1942 & color was added into film. You know how Godzilla is generally known to be a silly giant monster movie series? You know what's one of the absolute best movies in that series? The original, which was a dead-serious look at how horrible the atomic bomb was via a monster that was created by one. To this day it's still one of the best giant monster movies of all time, and I wouldn't be surprised if some still consider it one of the best Japanese films of all time.

Quote:
This isn't at all to say that old stuff is bad and new stuff is good, there is plenty of older gold and newer crap, it's just things were somewhat unrefined back then. It was trying to be wacky cartoons, and now it is more refined into anime as we know it.

"Wacky cartoons"? That's all the 60s-80s were in terms of anime? Yeah, because titles like Zambot 3 (70s), Ideon (80s), the aforementioned Touch (80s), Zeta Gundam (80s), Dororo (60s!), Aim for the Ace (70s), Yamato (70s), The Rose of Versailles (70s), & Nobody's Boy Remi (80s), among many others, were "wacky cartoons". Plus, anime like DD Fist of the North Star, Gintama, Sket Dance, Hayate the Combat Butler, or even Rio Rainbow Gate haven't aired in the past few years, because anime nowadays is all about "refinement" & not being "wacky"...

Quote:
There are absolutely still classics back then though that hold up perfectly today. Also as far as people who think older anime is better, I think that is nostalgia talking. When you think back to older years, which titles do you remember? Only the best of the best. Not all the lesser titles that came alone with them.

Yeah, and you know all about those classics from those older days... Every... Single... One... of.... Them.

True, in the end it's all about each individual's personal opinion, but at the same time it doesn't hurt to maybe try to see why they feel that way. You might learn a thing or two. It's especially important to do this because one day you'll end up like those very people when the next generation claims that the anime they're watching is the best & that the older stuff (i.e. what we're getting now) is old-hat & nowhere near as "refined".
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

True, in the end it's all about each individual's personal opinion, but at the same time it doesn't hurt to maybe try to see why they feel that way. You might learn a thing or two. It's especially important to do this because one day you'll end up like those very people when the next generation claims that the anime they're watching is the best & that the older stuff (i.e. what we're getting now) is old-hat & nowhere near as "refined".

Thank you. It really bugs me when younger people today apply this logic to virtually everything--not just anime, but movies, music, art, etc,. The younger generations are always so eager to sweep anything old under the rug labelled "inferior" and then say "It's not the 1980s/1990s/2000s anymore. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, old timers."

A lot of the discrimination in here often seems based only on a handful of older shows they've seen, which is really annoying.
Zump

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
There are fewer anime back then that "blow your mind" with explosions and melodrama and having philosophical themes explained to you by voiceover but perhaps more that did so with well-written characters and drama and a more old-fashioned sense of imagination.

I would argue that explosions and especially melodrama (see Rose of Versailles and earlier incarnations of Gundam) have been around for a long time, although the former have become bigger and more intricate over the years (see Gurren Lagann). However, I would love to see anime become less reliant on the whole "philosophical themes explained to the viewer by voiceover". It soared in popularity in the 90's and it seems to have come to horrible fruition in subsequent decades (like so many bad 90's trends). Your post made me think of Vifam, a simple mecha show about a group of kids trying to reunite with their parents amidst an alien invasion. It didn't do a lot of navel-gazing, but it had well-written characters who acted their age and it had some really powerful moments. Its simplicity was its greatest asset. Sometimes, I think anime tries too hard to overcomplicate things.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Citizen Klaus wrote:
Zac wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, Zac. I see where you're coming from, though I still feel it would help to give your readers some sort of guidance, especially for folks who may not be savvy enough to pick a legitimate source out of Google search results. Perhaps a non-linked statement to the effect that, "At the time of writing, this series was available for streaming at [X, Y, Z, etc.]." It would help contemporary readers narrow things down without unduly misleading future archive-diggers.

Agreed, especially seeing as this is the first review for a show on Anime Sols I was expecting that to be mentioned. The reasoning for leaving out the site makes sense, but I also think that a simple mention of "at the time of this review" would help alleviate the need to remove the links later on. It's also nice to be able to simply read a review and be able to just jump right to the site the show is on, even if it's easy to find on google, it does bring the reader directly to the legal site as opposed to something else google might provide.
In this case in particular, I'm sure Anime Sols would appreciate the extra awareness as well. I'm sure visitors is definitely one thing they need.
It also couldn't hurt if streaming sites offer affiliate links, that could be useful for ANN at the very least.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Citizen Klaus wrote:
Zac wrote:

Agreed, especially seeing as this is the first review for a show on Anime Sols I was expecting that to be mentioned. The reasoning for leaving out the site makes sense, but I also think that a simple mention of "at the time of this review" would help alleviate the need to remove the links later on. It's also nice to be able to simply read a review and be able to just jump right to the site the show is on, even if it's easy to find on google, it does bring the reader directly to the legal site as opposed to something else google might provide.
In this case in particular, I'm sure Anime Sols would appreciate the extra awareness as well. I'm sure visitors is definitely one thing they need.
It also couldn't hurt if streaming sites offer affiliate links, that could be useful for ANN at the very least.

unless Anime Sols pay them. I don't see any reason to do it. Like movies and TV drama reviews don't direct you to Hulu, crackle, or Netflix to watch it too. Reviewing a show is reviewing it, it's not here to help you how to find it.

Video game reviews will never tell you go to buy it in amazon or gamestop unless they get pay to do so.

Anime fans are so lazy and funny.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to note that the homeroom teacher in the first Project A-ko movie is based on Creamy Mami herself.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

unless Anime Sols pay them. I don't see any reason to do it. Like movies and TV drama reviews don't direct you to Hulu, crackle, or Netflix to watch it too. Reviewing a show is reviewing it, it's not here to help you how to find it.

Video game reviews will never tell you go to buy it in amazon or gamestop unless they get pay to do so.

Anime fans are so lazy and funny.

Except that those shows are available on multiple platforms. You can bet that reviews of the new season of Arrested Development mention netflix, reviews of Game of Thrones mention HBO, and so on among other exclusives. Similarly, reviews of anime titles mention the company that released the title.
Anime Sols is doing the same thing in this case, exclusively bringing over a title for release online with the hope for a physical release down the line.

I don't see what this has to do with people being lazy. Anyone can search for it, but to find the right legal site that streams the series requires people to actually know what they're looking for.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

I don't know where you're getting that generalization from; the New York Times, the LA Times, and the Washington Post, among others, nearly always mention the name of the network when reviewing TV shows. It's a common practice.

And the comparison with video games is irrelevant, since games are typically available through numerous retail outlets, rather than only one network, or a handful of streaming sites. When games are available through only one outlet, such as Xbox Live Arcade, reviews typically mention that at some point.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching all the Creamy Mami eps and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing, just made my pledge to get the DVD set, I hope it reaches it's goal.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I've been watching all the Creamy Mami eps and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing, just made my pledge to get the DVD set, I hope it reaches it's goal.

If the time limit is 3 months, then no, nothing on sols is going to reach the goal. It's been over a month, and only the 1st set of Mami got over 33% of money needed. Nothing else went beyond 20%. I think it's over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4