• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-06-05

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
As for the "But how do *I* become a voice actor" (unspoken is the *wink wink*) I think most people believe that becoming a voice actor or a comic artist or a writer involves knowing that one "trick". Anyone who has GOTTEN the artistic jobs know they require lots of hard work and years of practice whether self taught or through classes. But just like no one wants to hear "you get thin by diet & exercise" no one wants to hear "you make it by working hard and continuously improving yourself". No, everyone WANTS to hear "talk to Mr. X, tell him 'I'm awesome' and bam you're a (insert dream job)".
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Nina wants to become a voice actor?!

Kinda neat that Jerry was actually kinda helpful (although maybe that was also the characters I didn't really see), although the guy missed the point.

I've been to a "Voice acting VS Stage Acting" panel where I actually felt like people asked "good" questions as opposed to "Can you say this line from that show?" actors seem to get alot.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
I normally don't comment much on Nina's strips. I like how she pokes fun of anime fandom in America.

I like this strip because she pokes fun of people asking dumb questions and their inattentiveness.
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
You usually get really bad questions like this at cons. I remember when I was at one last year at the Funimation panel someone asked if they would be making more Durarara!!. That question still bothers me to this very day.

I can say I've heard the question "How do I get into voice acting" multiple times. It is kinda a common thing when you go to any voice actors panel, be they Japanese or American. Seems less common at the Japanese ones but still it can be a pain to constantly hear the same question.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I was confused by this entry. I got the joke but something was off. I came back today and realized that I was seeing wrong. The first dialog panel is double height but I was seeing the line for the table as panel border(it lines up with the adjacent panel's divider ). So I thought Nina was asking a question twice, but the second question wasn't stated. Question Once I got past that I got confused again. Does the strip read across sawtooth style(up/down/ up/down/ up/down as opposed to across/across/etc/back and down/across/across/etc)?

Just me?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
^
It's easy enough to figure out which way to read the strip just by following what is happening. I had no trouble at all with reading it. To answer your question, you don't read it across; the big clue is that the panels are clearly not the same height. You read the strip as a sawtooth.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
You can't *expect* to follow what is happening if you are expecting a certain format. I can't remember ever reading a comic strip that was laid out like this. Realizing it was laid out sawtooth only came afterwards. There is nothing about the panel sizes that indicates a change from convention. That being said, no slight to the creator at all.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
^
What you do mean? There have been tons of previous Anime News Nina strips that were in the same format as this one.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll gladly concede given a comparable example...I think *tons* might be overstating it though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
I think you have a point. Robin *does* use a lot of vertical arrangements, but I think that this one is the only one that is in really similar in layout to the current one.

animenewsnetwork.com/anime-news-nina/2012-11-21

The difference with this one is that the first of it's vertically read panels is clearly showing a sequential event. The current strip doesn't involve any movement. The other examples given either book end vertically arranged frames with full height panels(which effectively stops the forward motion) or show sequential motion(again, making it hard to mistake).

I'm not proud to say but I remember having trouble following the arrangement of a few of the ones you cited(I guess now we (mostly)know why).
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
I get the feeling "how do I become a voice actor" is the anime con equivalent of "what kind of tablet do you use" for digital artists or "what kind of camera do you use" for people who do internet videos.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
Becoming a voice actor is really easy. Getting work in the anime industry doing it is hard.

I've done voice acting, but I did it by first writing and creating a podcast. I then did voice acting for the podcast. But if I was to pursue it professionally I would be looking at spending time learning acting and trying to get roles. Then if I was successful enough at that, I might be lucky enough to get a role voice acting. Of course becoming a famous actor first gives one a big advantage.

And it really helps if you live in California.

Anyone who does want to try it should look into podcasts. There are a few that are constantly looking for VAs to read lines (for free of course). Although it helps if you're a female.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2