• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Review Floods

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
It is impossible not to notice that every so often a flood of Manga reviews are posted. We just got seven reviews at the same time, six of them by Rebecca Silverman. Wouldn't it be a lot neater to space them out over a week rather than just dump the entire lot of them all at once? You know, so there is a steady stream of reviews rather than alternating between floods and droughts? I also notice that - at the time of this post - five of them don't have comments. This is likely because so many were posted at once and therefore people's attentions are divided.

I just don't understand why the reviews are posted all at once when the advantages of spacing them out speak for themselves.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
I agree. I've noticed it happen in the past as well. It would be much better if they were spread out, so there's more diversity in the selection of recent reviews and as dtm pointed out, people could then pay more attention to each one.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
It's a little excessive when the reviews from the beginning of this weekend are dropping off the front page.

In agreement with dtm42 and st_owly it would be more beneficial to spread these out over the week especially as the reviewers work would be appreciated more that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Good to know I wasn't alone in thinking this.

Three more Manga reviews have been posted since I started the thread a little while ago, all by Ms Silverman. I've got nothing against her; I like reading her Manga reviews, even though I don't read Manga in the first place. She's a good writer with a distinctive 'voice' who gets her feelings across quite well. But at the moment, nine of the ten reviews on the front page are Manga reviews done by her, and the other review is a Manga review done by Carlo. For heaven's sake, spread the Manga reviews out just a little. Please.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Right now we only post one review a day during the week.

Anime reviews generally have priority over manga reviews, so during the week, those take up the daily slot. We have very prolific manga reviewers on staff who have a big backlog of unpublished reviews and I've been selecting certain weekends to run through them.

The idea isn't really to make sure each one gets its day in the sun, the idea is that they're published and in the archive. A lot of these reviews are middle volumes that don't get a lot of attention in the forums anyway, so blowing them out through the weekend seemed like a decent way to get the material published and have it active in the archive.

I'm probably going to move to a one anime - one manga review per day format in the very near future to deal with this better.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for replying.

Ah, so there's a backlog. That does change the dynamics somewhat.

Having one review of each kind per day would be great.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I'm probably going to move to a one anime - one manga review per day format in the very near future to deal with this better.

Yeah, maybe you could make it where you have latest Anime Reviews on top, and Latest manga Reviews (with only 1-2 slots only) below it, so you don't have to worry about bumping off anime reviews.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 am Reply with quote
@samuelp - would it not be better to have an equal split as I mainly read manga (as do others) and I wouldn't want to see manga reviews being bumped off too quickly. Equil opportunities and all Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
@samuelp - would it not be better to have an equal split as I mainly read manga (as do others) and I wouldn't want to see manga reviews being bumped off too quickly. Equil opportunities and all Wink

The name of this site is "Anime News Network", not "Manga News Network", and Zac already said above:
Zac wrote:
Anime reviews generally have priority over manga reviews, so during the week, those take up the daily slot.

It's up to them to choose what reviews to prioritize but this has always been primarily an anime review site over manga.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
Yes this is the Anime News Network, but they do cater to manga readers and gamers as well. It is often hard to discuss anime without references to the source material.

If excessive manga reviews take up too much space on the front page, perhaps they could be placed in the Manga discussion forum with a single link to all current reviews on the front page.

Part of the problem is that while you can wait and review 6 or 7 episodes of streaming anime, if you reviewed 6 volumes of a manga at once the first volume would have been out for over a year. I enjoy all the manga reviews and wish there were more not less.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The name of this site is "Anime News Network", not "Manga News Network"

We try to cover manga as much as we do anime. The site's name is ancient and we're not going to rebrand just to point out that we are as much a manga site as an anime site.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Do we get to watch anime and manga make love?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Do we get to watch anime and manga make love?

I think Viz Media several years ago tried that with Inuyasha. I think this genre was called Ani-manga, because this manga completely in color, but naturally in manga form.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Animanga still exist, or did up until one of the more recent Ghibli films at the very least. They take stills from the anime and add captions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Do they make 'animanga' in Japan, too, or is that purely a thing done in the USA? I've always assumed that's just something done by American publishers, but thinking about it I'm not actually sure if that's true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2