• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extraneous Extremes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
MAN!! Now that's a big game changer on Squares part. We tease people about a game that took like what an aeon and still never come out. Now to quote a user here THAT WAS A NICE MOVIE. Then come back with a new name. Sooooo...WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO VERSUS XIII?

This is the funniest sh*t I've ever heard. Well, at least it's gonna happen. Yeah it took them the amount of years that it took to create the number of characters you see posted. Too bad the Last Guardian is still up in the air.

Transistor looks like an interesting. I'll have to keep my eye on this one.
Good to see an oldie come back Dungeon's and Dragons.
Mega Man hanging out with Mario sounds good.

Man the PS4 looks freaking huge. WTH, it looks like the PS2 with an add on. Thing look as big as a PC tower.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
v1cious: dude, seriously? I've had huge doubts about Wii U up until this point too, but come on, Mario World, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, Xenowhatever, and Bayonetta 2, all good stuff. Considering the final few years of the Wii it felt like we were lucky if we managed to get 3 worthwhile games each year, I'd say Nintendo is definitely stepping up their game finally.

You missed the entire point of what I posted.

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Bayonetta all look awesome... but not even one of those games comes out in 2013. Mario World 3D is the only killer app Nintendo has for this year, and that doesn't come out until December if it's not delayed. So where does this leave Nintendo? It means they have to go through an entire year sucking up loss after loss. Like I Said earlier Wonderful 101 and Donkey Kong look good, but do you think either of those will boost sales? They're preaching to the choir. As a gamer this probably won't seem like big deal to you, but the people running the show (They have already angered EA, which was a BAD move) won't see any reason to keep putting money into this thing. To make matters worse, May NPDs come out today.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
You have had to pay 60 bucks a year for xbox live since the days of the original xbox.
Uh, no, you haven't. If you actually look, it's not difficult to find XBL for $40 or even cheaper. Good luck achieving the same with PSN+. I mean, MS deserves all the hate they're getting for the Xbone, but expensive Live costs are mostly the fault of the consumer, with how easy it is to find cheaper.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that after so much waiting Kingdom Hearts 3 still needs a lot to be released. The teaser was basically Kingdom Hearts II HD. They still need to show something new.
EternalKnight001

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Man the PS4 looks freaking huge. WTH, it looks like the PS2 with an add on. Thing look as big as a PC tower.

Well actually.... it's much smaller then the XBone, apparently XBone looks clunky in comparison and is heavier. Can't find exact stats on the XBox One for some reason, but PS4 is only 2.8kg and 275x53x305mm, versus original PS3 phat 5kg and 274x98x325, and slim PS3 3.2kg and 200x60x290. Those at E3 say that the PS4 is smaller and sleeker then XBone's massive VCR like appearance *shudders*

Just sayin.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
And Todd, could it be that... you hate Quantic Dream as much as I do? That you also think that David Cage is a loathsome hack who doesn't deserve anything more than a career in dime novels? Oh, please say yes. Please say yes, Todd. It is so lonely hating David Cage in a world of gamers.

Oh, you're hardly alone in that, my friend. Matt and Pat (Two Best Friends Let's Play) playthrough of Heavy Rain highlighted that game for the badly-acted, plothole-filled, runs-on-stupid nonsense that it truly is. Pat nailed it in his "Top 10 Games of 2012" when he pointed out how obsessed David Cage is with graphics letting us emotionally connect to the story/characters, and yet Telltale Games' The Walking Dead, with its very simple yet effective comicbook-style graphics, gave us a FAR more emotional connection to the characters than Heavy Rain ever could. At the end of The Walking Dead, players were crying. At the end of Heavy Rain, anyone who actually pays attention to the whole plot realizes the ultimate revelation is a complete contradiction of established FACTS in the story. David Cage needs to go back to Creative Writing classes before he gives us another game.

David Cage and his high-school-sophomore's understanding of art (actually, that's an insult to many intelligent and sensitive high school sophomores) would do well to see Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such A Beautiful Day, one of the most emotionally devastating films I've seen in years, which primarily consists, visually, of literal stick figures. With any luck, he will then look at his multi-million dollar budget and massive development studio, ponder their total failure to produce anything even a trillionth as artistically resonant as this film made almost entirely by one man with practically archaic technology, and retire in shame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
It's a shame that after so much waiting Kingdom Hearts 3 still needs a lot to be released. The teaser was basically Kingdom Hearts II HD. They still need to show something new.

To be quite honest with you, and you probably know this, SE was doing an exceptionally poor job this gen. As a person who was waiting for versus 13 since 2006, this gen was nothing but a long tease..hoping that they might announce something each consecutive year at E3 or TGS, with no luck in sight.

Im just glad that they got all the FF 13's out of the way for ps3, and it seems they got their shit together for the ps4 (maybe because its much more developer friendly?). From what they've shown, Versus...or rather FF15 is coming along nicely and I would assume they're at least 70% done with the game. They stated that it currently 100% in development and they want to get it out there. Which is not only good news for FF fans like me, but good news for KH fans as well. The faster they get ff15 out, the faster they can shift KH3 into 100% development. Because right now, they probably just got the story planned out and the game is in very early stage of development.

So cheers to SE returning to what it was back in the ps2/GC era and fixing all of their mistakes in this new generation thats upon us.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
You know this is like the 234230458349th game Peach is playable in, right?

I was talking about in recent Mario platformers, not party or racing games. She's back to being in a playable role in a platform game instead of getting Koopa-napped, which is rare for her.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I'm just not interested in shooting, micro-transactions, and 10-hour games that run you from a point a to point b while maximising a 4-year-old's ability to grab achievements.

I try my hardest to be optimistic about modern gaming, but I can identify with the sentiment.

gatotsu911 wrote:
And Todd, could it be that... you hate Quantic Dream as much as I do?

I can't speak for the author, but here's his opinion on the plot of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit (entry #5, bottom of page). Personally, I'm cool with the developer but it's hard not to appreciate this glorious piece of ridicule.

v1cious wrote:
It's just unfathomable that someone would rush this thing to market without any kind of game plan.

Yeah, I didn't think things were so bad until this article really spelled it out for me.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
KH3 and 15 aren't not made by the same teams.

And I sure freaking hope 15 is coming along, they've had 7 years to do this thing, and 2 after the switch.

Though, I wouldn't take at all that this is a sign of SE getting it's act together. The sheer fact that Versus is 15 is not a good sign.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ishmael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
"Noctis Lucis Caelum" "Stella Nox Fleuret"

OK, who's in charge of naming at Squareenix? Seriously?

Why is it that this feels even less like FF? At least if they had kept it a non-numbered Final Fantasy, fine.

I know, let's make GTA VI and make it a turn-based RPG. Rolling Eyes

They really seem to have lost it.
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
And Todd, could it be that... you hate Quantic Dream as much as I do? That you also think that David Cage is a loathsome hack who doesn't deserve anything more than a career in dime novels? Oh, please say yes. Please say yes, Todd. It is so lonely hating David Cage in a world of gamers.

Oh, you're hardly alone in that, my friend. Matt and Pat (Two Best Friends Let's Play) playthrough of Heavy Rain highlighted that game for the badly-acted, plothole-filled, runs-on-stupid nonsense that it truly is. Pat nailed it in his "Top 10 Games of 2012" when he pointed out how obsessed David Cage is with graphics letting us emotionally connect to the story/characters, and yet Telltale Games' The Walking Dead, with its very simple yet effective comicbook-style graphics, gave us a FAR more emotional connection to the characters than Heavy Rain ever could. At the end of The Walking Dead, players were crying. At the end of Heavy Rain, anyone who actually pays attention to the whole plot realizes the ultimate revelation is a complete contradiction of established FACTS in the story. David Cage needs to go back to Creative Writing classes before he gives us another game..

I disagree. Walking Dead was even worse than Heavy Rain. Far uglier graphics, much more linear, more annoying and unlikable characters, predictable and forced story. At least Heavy Rain had different endings while in Walking Dead none of your choices matter since it always ends the same way despite promising your story choices matter. It's like Mass Effect 3 ending all over again Sad They're both not that great games
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
GarnetStyle wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:

Oh, you're hardly alone in that, my friend. Matt and Pat (Two Best Friends Let's Play) playthrough of Heavy Rain highlighted that game for the badly-acted, plothole-filled, runs-on-stupid nonsense that it truly is. Pat nailed it in his "Top 10 Games of 2012" when he pointed out how obsessed David Cage is with graphics letting us emotionally connect to the story/characters, and yet Telltale Games' The Walking Dead, with its very simple yet effective comicbook-style graphics, gave us a FAR more emotional connection to the characters than Heavy Rain ever could. At the end of The Walking Dead, players were crying. At the end of Heavy Rain, anyone who actually pays attention to the whole plot realizes the ultimate revelation is a complete contradiction of established FACTS in the story. David Cage needs to go back to Creative Writing classes before he gives us another game..

I disagree. Walking Dead was even worse than Heavy Rain. Far uglier graphics, much more linear, more annoying and unlikable characters, predictable and forced story. At least Heavy Rain had different endings while in Walking Dead none of your choices matter since it always ends the same way despite promising your story choices matter. It's like Mass Effect 3 ending all over again Sad They're both not that great games

Yes, some of the Walking Dead characters were unlikable but they were meant to be that way. Heavy Rain on the other hand only had one intentionally unlikable character, Blake, and ironically he's the only well-written character besides Jayden. Walking Dead at least had a few likable characters: Lee, Clementine, Carley, Chuck, and Molly, and there were a few others that were at least tolerable. Heavy Rain's cast was so poorly written it bordered on unbelievable. Then you add all the countless plotholes, the answer to the ultimate mystery being a total contradiction to a character's inner thoughts (in other words, the writer lied to us because he couldn't think of a better way to not have us figure out the mystery until it was revealed), the fact that all but one of Madison's chapters put her in some sort of rape-y situation (no unfortunate implications there, COUGH COUGH), the atrocious voice acting (I can't imagine anyone rating Walking Dead's voice acting below "good" at least), etc. It's a turd of a game.

And the Walking Dead ending was infinitely better than ANY of Heavy Rain's nonsensical endings. Hey David Cage, spoiler[a child who had been imprisoned for a week and forced to keep his head above water for several days without sleep would not be jumping around for joy anytime soon! Learn something about human psychology, geezus.]

In conclusion: JASON! JASON! Nuff said.
nynextew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this matters, but Double Helix Games handled Silent Hill: Homecoming not just "Silent Hill". I hate to be that chick, but it just seemed rather... misleading.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay. So I know I always post about The Last Guardian every time it's ever mentioned in the column. But this tormented soul wants to keep the hope alive. So I'm always happy to see the title come up in the column just because it keeps the game in everyone's consciousness! So thank you for that! Even if that mention only serves to renew the torment I feel...for now. *keeps fingers crossed even though said fingers have turned geriatric*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4