• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Third Dimension

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
In terms of gameplay I've been told The Third Birthday is pretty good. It's just dat story.

They lied. T3B is a third person shooter that effectively...strips away things that make third person shooters into what they are.

1-No manual aiming. You push a button, you're automatically locked onto an enemy, and you just run around and shoot at it by just hitting one button. There's no real strafe tactics, you can't exploit weak points like headshots or crotch-shots (not that Twisted have crotches or...heads for that matter, but still). In short, they transformed a tactical third person shooter into a button masher. It's essentially Dynasty Warriors with guns.

2-Clumsy cover system made pointless thanks to Overdive. First and foremost, there's no real point to a cover system seeing as everything is autolocked... The point of taking cover is avoiding enemy fire, and returning fire when there's an opening. You can't really tactically return fire since you're autolocked...and when you do return fire, you're completely exposed. But worry not...we have Overdive! Which renders cover utterly meaningless since you can just hop bodies virtually all over the place.

3-Not really gameplay, but it's idiotically inconsistent when it comes to clothes and Overdive. Supposedly, according to the shitmass what they call a "story" in here, Aya uses Overdive to temporarily invade the minds and bodies of her targets. She basically invades them temporarily - astral projection + mind control. While in Overdive tank, she's completely naked. Yet, when she takes over a mook...she gains her regular street clothes, and for some reason, *they* get torn up... First off, she's not wearing clothes... Secondly, her mind subject is wearing different clothes. Thirdly, it's mental projection, not complete transmogrification. Meaning, this whole Overdive system is easily the biggest clusterfuck of a plot-hole that I've seen in the last decade. And it's all because Tetsuya Nomura wanted to see her clothes torn up.

YES, it was HIS idea, not the dev staff's. Another reason why he's an idiot and an incompetent hack. But I blame the dev staff as well for actually paying attention to his hair-brained nonsense.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Nah, PE2 isn't that bad. Certainly not a good as the first one, but whoever said all that was just trolling ya. The biggest switch is that PE2 plays much more like a survival horror, so it's a slightly strange switch, but it still works in context.

See, THIS one however, this 3rd Birthday, THAT's the true insult.

Ah hello again John, I remember when you described KH Re:coded to me. Thank you for your input on that btw, you saved the wallets of a few of my friends Smile

Yeah the problem isn't that I believed those comments (I think they were bitter PE2 was less RPG and more survival horror), it was that by the time I was interested in the second game, I had moved on to the PS2 and forgot about it. Maybe once they put it on PSN, I can take a swing at it. As for 3rd Birthday, it sounds like less of a party and more of a visit to the malt shop Anime hyper

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Isn't PE2 already on the PSN?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Primus wrote:
In terms of gameplay I've been told The Third Birthday is pretty good. It's just dat story.

3-Not really gameplay, but it's idiotically inconsistent when it comes to clothes and Overdive. Supposedly, according to the shitmass what they call a "story" in here, Aya uses Overdive to temporarily invade the minds and bodies of her targets. She basically invades them temporarily - astral projection + mind control. While in Overdive tank, she's completely naked. Yet, when she takes over a mook...she gains her regular street clothes, and for some reason, *they* get torn up... First off, she's not wearing clothes... Secondly, her mind subject is wearing different clothes. Thirdly, it's mental projection, not complete transmogrification. Meaning, this whole Overdive system is easily the biggest clusterfuck of a plot-hole that I've seen in the last decade. And it's all because Tetsuya Nomura wanted to see her clothes torn up.

YES, it was HIS idea, not the dev staff's. Another reason why he's an idiot and an incompetent hack. But I blame the dev staff as well for actually paying attention to his hair-brained nonsense.

I don't know if the clothes-tearing thing was Nomura's idea (I get the troubling feeling that Toriyama's grubby hands are on that) but it is legitimately pointless. If you think about it in terms of the context there is absolutely NO REASON her clothes should be damaged. Plus when you factor in the big twist at the end all the fanservice goes from juvenile objectification to downright icky and disturbing. Aya deserves better, but I don't expect idiots like Toriyama to understand that.

John Casey wrote:
Isn't PE2 already on the PSN?

It'll be out soon; PE1 has already been released.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to any new Atelier games. I thought it was a prequel (ala the out of order Iris series), but it's interesting that Rorona was somehow turned into a kid this time.

In other news, there's supposed a be an announcement for the sequel to Hyperdimension Neptunia from Idea Factory today. By the sounds of the teaser this one is going to be based on handhelds and is suggesting it'll be for the Sony NGP. The teaser ad shows a handheld called the "NPG" with the text "What if game machines were cute girls? The machines will shake hand with you like little girls". If these theories are right then I'll be getting an NGP for sure. Very Happy

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I've heard many good things about the Trails in the Sky series (specifically this Hardcore Gaming 101 article), so I may have to give it a shot.

The only other game I'm really excited about is Dynasty Warriors 7. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is one of the best games I've played in a while, and DW7 definitely seems to be a step-up after DW6, considering they removed the Renbu system.

Last edited by GVman on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I loved Legend of Mana. The lack of a cohesive plot was disappointing, but I otherwise found it pretty fun to play with some cool characters, interesting stories, and decent replay value. I probably enjoyed it as much as I did Secret of Mana.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

The only other game I'm really excited about is Dynasty Warriors 7. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is one of the best games I've played in a while, and DW7 definitely seems to be a step-up after DW6, considering they removed the Renbu system.

Something tells Ken's Rage is the only game you played in a while.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that there's another Devil Survivor game coming out, but a little surprised to see it coming out for the original DS. I guess they're playing it safe. It's going to be hard to get it though considering they might just end up doing the same thing again and release an even better version on the 3DS if it sells well. Sure, it's nice that an even better version is coming out and I don't have to play through the game twice to see it, but that's only because I haven't started playing the original yet =/

As for the 3DS itself, there's going to need to be a real killer game and a better color (aqua blue is more sea green and ugly imo) for me to not wait for the 3DS lite.
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Nah, PE2 isn't that bad. Certainly not a good as the first one, but whoever said all that was just trolling ya. The biggest switch is that PE2 plays much more like a survival horror, so it's a slightly strange switch, but it still works in context.

See, THIS one however, this 3rd Birthday, THAT's the true insult.

Ah hello again John, I remember when you described KH Re:coded to me. Thank you for your input on that btw, you saved the wallets of a few of my friends Smile

Yeah the problem isn't that I believed those comments (I think they were bitter PE2 was less RPG and more survival horror), it was that by the time I was interested in the second game, I had moved on to the PS2 and forgot about it. Maybe once they put it on PSN, I can take a swing at it. As for 3rd Birthday, it sounds like less of a party and more of a visit to the malt shop Anime hyper

I like both PE1 and PE2, but I prefer PE2 because of the survival horror aspect being bumped up. It also has a greater variety of enemies.

Currently replaying PE1 and then PE2 on the hardest difficulty. Gonna try to finally unlock the Gunblade.

Not sure about 3rd Birthday yet. It sounds like they arent even acknowledging the first 2's stories, or are minimalizing them for this new "twisted" enemy. Where are my NMC's? Sad Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) that the column didn't go into any greater detail on Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. Far from being just another mediocre Tom Clancy spinoff pooped out by Ubisoft, it's actually an original strategy game by the guy responsible for the original X-Com games (about which I've heard many good things)

Oh don't get me started. Took me a decade -- a decade! -- playing on and off just to finish the first game. For such a simple game, it's hard and addicting! Laughing
(I started playing it on DOS. DOS didn't exist anymore when I finished!)

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
But if The 3rd Birthday comes through...

Being released right next to a handheld sporting 3D. Color me skeptical this gets any love. Nothing against the PSP, but this title doesn't belong on this handheld.

It belongs on the PS3.

More and more J-games are ghetto-izing themselves just to handhelds these days. Handhelds sell more than consoles, particularly in Japan, and cost much less to produce, especially for games that won't sell much outside Japan.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
GVman wrote:

Something tells Ken's Rage is the only game you played in a while.

Something tells me you didn't play Ken's Rage longer than five minutes. I've also never understood why people treat the Koei Warriors series like garbage. The only disappointing game in the series I've played was DW6, and most people agree that six was a step-down from 5.

Anyway, I've never really played an action game (except for Monster Hunter) that I found to be near as fun and engaging as Ken's Rage, as opposed to something like Devil May Cry 3, which I felt like was lacking in several areas. And I don't like it just because I'm a HnK fan. The adaptation of HnK's plot left a LOT to be desired...

But to each their own.
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) that the column didn't go into any greater detail on Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. Far from being just another mediocre Tom Clancy spinoff pooped out by Ubisoft, it's actually an original strategy game by the guy responsible for the original X-Com games (about which I've heard many good things) that just had the Clancy name slapped onto it to increase sales. It's actually one of my more anticipated 3DS titles. More than Pilotwings, anyway.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was about to bring this up. I've seen a lot of previews for it and was kind of surprised. This might be the second pick I would choose after getting SSFIV3D. Can't wait for my system to arrive (just got my note from Amazon)...

...and yet my DSi is still getting loads of love. I see no talk of Okamiden here, which I am deeply disappointed at you Todd. It seems there's still loads of life in this "last gen" system (special mention goes to Monster Tale).
SpaceDrake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
Todd, man, I love you, you know this, but the smacktalk of Trails in the Sky when you haven't even played it is unwarranted. Trails is Falcom's most succesful game-cum-franchise since, like, the original Ys duology and it's really, really good; there's a lot of ways in which it can be called "the Mass Effect of Japan" with a straight face. It's got a sprawling yet (pretty) sensible backstory, great characters, an interesting (and mercifully-faster-than-Gagharv) combat engine, and it's probably going to be the most solid JRPG coming out this year. I'm almost giddy with anticipation for it. I do recommend trying it out before really tearing into it.
Zade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a Watership Down AND Francis E Dec reference in 1 column, impressive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2