• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - ADV, Unreleased

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I didn't know that Hanappe Bazooka was on ADV acquisition list. I actually own a copy of this on VHS tape. It's as a pirated copy. Long gone are the days of the early online pirate retailers who bought masters and sold copies of "new" anime in the raw. I had just got exposed to the cute cherubic crazy man known as Go Nagai so this was probably my first adult oriented Go Nagai feature. I wouldn't mind seeing this released for my collection. I also wanted to see the Abashiri Family and Delinquent in Drag. I managed to watch an upload on a streaming site. I also saw the live action movie Sukeban Boy, which is the original title from the manga. I would pick up those 2 films if released on DVD.

There are quite a few gems and stinkers left over. I would love to see Mighty Space Miners and Rail of the Star. Those are definitely deserving of a DVD release. But there are some titles that I never heard of like Gude. I've heard of the others but never actually seen them. They should release a Sol Bianca collection. Ah the 90s, such a time we are beginning to look back on.

Both the Sukeban Boy live-action & Mighty Space Miners are licensed by Discotek and while the latter is not released yet (as the license was announced last month), the former is available and has been since 2008.

http://www.rightstuf.com/i/es001
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-07/discotek-licenses-mighty-space-miners-video-anime

I own the DVD of Sukeban and while it wasn't as bad as the Devilman live-action was, it wasn't that great either. I saw a short trailer of the anime version a year ago in one of my old ADV DVDs (I think it was Devil Lady) and it actually looked like it would be fun to watch so I hope to see a rescue of that myself.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I love Sol Bianca. It's like Gall Force if the women didn't die all the time. Minami Takayama and Miki Itou starred in it, and even Shuichi Ikeda and Daisuke Gouri were there, too! I wish they'd made more episodes (no, not interested in watching The Legacy). It would be great if Discotek could rescue it for a DVD release, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Well pioneer did do a DVD release of soul bianca i was lucky enough to get them.

though i am susprised ADV is still around. i though the company no longer exists or just changed their names to section 23 / sentai filmworks since their official website no longer exists.

The Sol Bianca that Pioneer released here is basically a remake of the original with 3D animation. The one Mike is referring to is 2 OVAs from back in 90-91 was only released here on VHS by ADV.

As for ADV, yeah, they're still around. Although I have a feeling most of their old licenses are probably expired by now(due to filing for bankruptcy), they still release stuff from time to time. Besides Elfen Lied, they released a Season 1 & 2 collection of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie late last year.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I have these on vhs and wish they were released on dvd:
violence jack
crystal triangle
ultimate teacher
twilight of the cockroaches
genesis survivor gaiarth
ai city
dog soldier
explorer woman ray
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd love a non-bootleg DVD release of Ringing Bell
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd really like to see the Sanrio things that haven't gotten on DVD get on DVD. Discotek did a great job with Sea Prince and the Fire Child, I really enjoyed that movie and Koichi Sugiyama having done the OST (possibly his only anime contribution) made me constantly go "Dragon Quest?!" so that was just bonus for me. But I had only seen it in dub where Bibble was incredibly annoying and the overall sound quality on the dub was simply not as good as the audio equipment the Japanese must've had, so yay, I got to watch it sub!
Ringing Bell of Chirin definitely thoroughly convinced me that Sanrio enjoyed terrorizing children in the 80s as both it and Sea Prince were quite depressing. Once again, I've only seen this in dub on youtube, I'd definitely buy a DVD (hopefully with sub) of this as it's definitely special in a good way.
That would make A Journey Through Fairyland the last here that needs mention. I actually used to own a VHS of this, but it's been lost to moves. It was probably the first anime I ever saw (though I didn't know it was anime). Upon seeing it again as a teen who found it at random, I remembered that I had seen it when I was younger and vaguely remembered scenes of it. It's kinda like Fantasia, but with a plot and dialogue. It's not as good as Fantasia, but put that as a double feature with Ringing Bell, and I'd be all over it.
And of course Discotek put out the Unico movies and will again on Bluray soon. Sanrio made them, but they're based on Tezuka things, so not original. But, having now read the manga courtesy of DMP being awesome enough to publish it, the Island of Magic movie happens nowhere in the manga. Also, why must Japan make so many depressing children's things? The Unico manga had this tendency to be rather depressing with maybe half a cheery ending in there, and Ringing Bell and Sea Prince both, so wtf, Japan?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I didn't know that Hanappe Bazooka was on ADV acquisition list. I actually own a copy of this on VHS tape. It's as a pirated copy. Long gone are the days of the early online pirate retailers who bought masters and sold copies of "new" anime in the raw. I had just got exposed to the cute cherubic crazy man known as Go Nagai so this was probably my first adult oriented Go Nagai feature. I wouldn't mind seeing this released for my collection. I also wanted to see the Abashiri Family and Delinquent in Drag. I managed to watch an upload on a streaming site. I also saw the live action movie Sukeban Boy, which is the original title from the manga. I would pick up those 2 films if released on DVD.

There are quite a few gems and stinkers left over. I would love to see Mighty Space Miners and Rail of the Star. Those are definitely deserving of a DVD release. But there are some titles that I never heard of like Gude. I've heard of the others but never actually seen them. They should release a Sol Bianca collection. Ah the 90s, such a time we are beginning to look back on.

Both the Sukeban Boy live-action & Mighty Space Miners are licensed by Discotek and while the latter is not released yet (as the license was announced last month), the former is available and has been since 2008.

http://www.rightstuf.com/i/es001
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-07/discotek-licenses-mighty-space-miners-video-anime

I own the DVD of Sukeban and while it wasn't as bad as the Devilman live-action was, it wasn't that great either. I saw a short trailer of the anime version a year ago in one of my old ADV DVDs (I think it was Devil Lady) and it actually looked like it would be fun to watch so I hope to see a rescue of that myself.

Oh yeah, now I think I remember this cover. Surprising considering when it was released. Maybe I'll looking into Mighty Miners for the collection. If it's as good as they say it is. I should have specified. I meant to say, the Sukeban OVA. But hey the live action film couldn't hurt. It's about as close to a damn Sushi Typhoon movie as anything can get. Wink Chances of finding a copy might be slim as it took forever for me to acquire a rental from Netflix. But I finally got to see the madness. But you have to admit the anime and live action are like 2 different beasts. Laughing
isahackjob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Im still holding out (not to far sadly) for someone to license the Pink Noise OVA's for DVD someday, but that ones kind of a pipe dream. Im sure everyone else would agree, but the BIG one here is Robot Carnival. Blu-Ray PLEASE someone =X
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I want a re-release of Yumeria and a re-license of Mermaid Melody.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Ah the 90s, such a time we are beginning to look back on.

This phrase is so very true. I want so many things from the 90s to come back, and it's not just limited to anime. Nostalgia, you bite down hard when you strike. T_T
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'd really like to see the Sanrio things that haven't gotten on DVD get on DVD.

Awesome choices! Yes, Discotek, pretty pretty please continue releasing old Sanrio movies! I really want Ringing Bell...
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Not ADV, but the old Eat-Man set released by Bandai was pretty darn good- I like it better than Eat-Man '98, anyway, and that did get a DVD!

I have a feeling I'm going to have to go pad out my VHS anime shopping list after this...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

though i am susprised ADV is still around. i though the company no longer exists or just changed their names to section 23 / sentai filmworks since their official website no longer exists.

As for ADV, yeah, they're still around. Although I have a feeling most of their old licenses are probably expired by now(due to filing for bankruptcy), they still release stuff from time to time. Besides Elfen Lied, they released a Season 1 & 2 collection of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie late last year.

ADV never filed for bankruptcy. They sold off most of their assets that they were able to. It appears that many of their older licenses were unable to be transfered, so they likely have to be held on to until Sentai, Maiden Japan, or any other R1 company acquires them, like Orpen, GetBackers, etc. A few of the licenses were transfered to AeSir when they acquired the bulk of ADV's final assets and liabilities, so that's why occasional titles come out with the AeSir logo on them.

Chrno2 wrote:
I'm surprised that Prefectural Earth Defense Force isn't on the list of rescues. I mean that is ONE obscure title that ADV picked up and it was a limited release. Afterwards you couldn't even find this DVD for purchase. This title was one of my first VHS trades back in HS at an anime club. I was shocked that this made it into their acquisitions I immediately picked it up.

Perfectual Earth Defense Force did eventually make it's way to other retailers like Right Stuf and Anime Nation. The release was till limited and it was one of the few titles that ADV released sub-only, as they didn't have a separate sound effects and music track for it.

However, it appears that ADV, or AeSir, still retain the rights to it, as they have been streaming it on Anime Network for quite some time. At the very least, TAN has TV and digital rights to the show. The DVD is long out of print though, but it can still be found fairly easily.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I want a re-release of Yumeria and a re-license of Mermaid Melody.

Yumeria is still available in it's thin pack release from a few retailers, including Right Stuf. I've seen a few sites that still have the last lightbox release as well and the singles are pretty easy to hunt down cheaply. I don't think it really needs a re-release at the moment. It appears to still be licensed by either ADV or AeSir, as the show is still streaming on TAN and other sites.

Mermaid Melody, sadly, was never technically licensed here. ADV did have an option on it and they were paid to complete the dub, but when a TV run wasn't secured there were never any release plans made. From what ADV reps have said in the past, a deal still isn't very likely.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Ah yes. I would love to get Sol Bianca on DVD. I still have the VHS copy I purchased back in 1992. It was the second anime tape I ever bought. (Project A-ko was the first for those who are wondering.) Just for the record, though, the Pioneer release Sol Bianca: The Legacy is a prequel not a retelling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4