• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - ADV, Unreleased

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
I'd love a non-bootleg DVD release of Ringing Bell

Oh yes! A nice bilingual DVD. Would buy in a heartbeat.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
An R1 DVD for End of Summer would be nice. There's a Hong Kong bootleg, but the English subtitles are terrible.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dragon Century was only released on LD and limited VHS copies back in the day. It's never been officially released on DVD sadly.

There's actually a pretty nice R2 of this. It even has a few manga scans as an extra that show some of the things that happen after the anime leaves off. The anime was surprisingly good, and the manga really looked like something someone should license.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
The Abashiri Family and Delinquent in Drag. Two titles I did not pick up and so want!
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
So tell me, gang: anything on this list catch your fancy? Did I miss a title? I'm pretty sure I didn't, but you never know with me, do you?

You should have asked me first…

Mike Toole wrote:
Any other older classics from the VHS era (or older!!) where you just can't figure out why there isn't a shiny new DVD release yet?

See my Catalog Check Update and Supplement—a list of anime which was released in North America on VHS and whether it has been re-released on Laserdisc and/or DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Disc; last updated 9 March 2011. Also, I have most of the tapes mentioned in the column. Razz

(Besides Mighty Space Miners, is there any VHS, LD, or DVD I've missed?)

tangytangerine wrote:
The Sol Bianca that Pioneer released here is basically a remake of the original with 3D animation. The one Mike is referring to is 2 OVAs from back in 90-91 was only released here on VHS by ADV.

The first episode was also released on subtitled laserdisc. (IIRC Sol Bianca was A.D. Vision's third release, after Devil Hunter Yohko (episode 1) and the original Burn Up!.)

Edit:

Mike Toole wrote:
[Dark Warrior:] while Manga released both episodes, ADV didn't bother after that first one. That's probably for the best.

Actually, they did (ANN Encyclopedia release entry), and apparently planned to release it on DVD, too ("Dark Warrior S/D DVD 50 minutes A.D. Vision $12.98 release date: 4/2005"), though that seems to have never happened.

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that Dragon Century is getting mentioned. I mean was this film actually released here? See it's one of those really obscure titles kind of like some of the titles that US Rendition released way back when like Orguss (which I was shocked it made it here). But Dragon Century? Hell, that must've been a secret acquisition. Now that's a title I would love to own. I'm surprised at some of the old titles that actually either made it here or on some list of supposedly considered.

Here's a list of old anime that I would like to see released on DVD.
Dragon Century
Devilman features
Dragon's Heaven (y'know the one that has a touch of Moebius).

Does anyone know what ADVs adult label was. I know they did have one and which titles were published under that heading.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
SoftCel Pictures(shuttered in 2005) and later Happy Carrot(started in 2008).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

SoftCel Pictures' revival (DVD) era Web site (via the Wayback Machine), prior to TRSI shutting it down and making it into a redirect to Critical Mass Video. (The domain name now directs to an apparently SFW Japanese site.)
LibraryJoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Locke the Superpower just got a re-release on DVD, so I'd also like to see Space Warriors (Locke the Superpower - Lord Leon, released on VHS by CPM) get on DVD. Of course, getting the rest of the unreleased Locke movies would be, well, Super!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

SoftCel Pictures' revival (DVD) era Web site (via the Wayback Machine), prior to TRSI shutting it down and making it into a redirect to Critical Mass Video. (The domain name now directs to an apparently SFW Japanese site.)

Oh yeah, that's right. And of course the first adult DVD that comes up is 'The Elven Bride'. Actually one I missed because the price never came down. I'd been wanted to purchase this for a long while. Yeah, it seems like ADV adult catalog almost seemed kind of hush hush. What I mean is that unless you looked you'd never know that ADV had one. I knew that CPM had one and Media Blasters and TRSI. But Viz, Geneon and Bandai didn't venture into that. But again ADV sort of surprised me or didn't surprise me because it's been so long and I'd long forgotten what they did release. I'm actually looking at the list of SoftCell titles and I only have 1 title from that list and that's F3. Didn't even think that it was connected to ADV adult line. I guess some of their adult catalog will be picked up by the other remaining companies or they'll be able to find a way to publish them.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Oh yeah, that's right. And of course the first adult DVD that comes up is 'The Elven Bride'. Actually one I missed because the price never came down. I'd been wanted to purchase this for a long while. Yeah, it seems like ADV adult catalog almost seemed kind of hush hush.

At the beginning (before SCP) it wasn't—the first episode of Guy was ADV's fifth release (and the first hentai to be released by a fan-centric company (though it was censored); I forget what the fourth release was), and was included in the ADV catalogs alongside everything else.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
What do the preceding nine titles have in common? With the sole exception of Hanappe Bazooka, not one of them got a DVD release in Japan—they were laserdisc and VHS-only affairs.

Compiler was released on DVD in Japan in September 2003, suspiciously close, but notably after, ADV's announcement that they would release the show on DVD. It's tempting to think that the release of the show in Japan had something to do with the original delay.

Another potential stumbling block for a potential Compiler release might have been the English soundtrack. Compiler was one of those comparatively rare OVA series where the U.S. release had the first two episodes' order switched. This created a problem with the dub of Episode 1, for which ADV actually re-edited the opening scenes to feature a "flashback" to Episode 2, so the length of the episode wouldn't match the Japanese original.

They could of course have re-dubbed the opening, but perhaps simply found it wasn't worth the effort, with the proposed release simply getting lost in the mix when they were releasing a ton of other material during the height of the boom.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Oh yeah, that's right. And of course the first adult DVD that comes up is 'The Elven Bride'. Actually one I missed because the price never came down. I'd been wanted to purchase this for a long while. Yeah, it seems like ADV adult catalog almost seemed kind of hush hush.

At the beginning (before SCP) it wasn't—the first episode of Guy was ADV's fifth release (and the first hentai to be released by a fan-centric company (though it was censored); I forget what the fourth release was), and was included in the ADV catalogs alongside everything else.

Really? They had Guy all that time. That's another oldie I remember. It's kind of surprising that they had quite a bit of old stuff in their catalog. Though I'm curious what made them decide on releasing some of these older titles? Considering what they were releasing which was more mainstream titles, it was kind surprising when they started announcing older titles from the 80's and 90's. Some of which no one would have ever thought of. I wonder if they were trying to cater to a more older vintage market for collectors. Since the release of Prefectural Earth Defense Force and later Outlanders from CPM, it assumed that was the case. Until ADV started going silent. Despite what they had talked about in an older issue of Newtype USA which was their last one, folks were shocked when all of a sudden a ball had finally been dropped. First Geneon, then CPM and later ADV. Thing is we now know that their properties are split up so the company is now like a silent partner. As opposed to CPM actually announcing their shut down after filing Chapter 11, which was quite a long time.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
AkiraKaneda wrote:
The one movie that got to VHS but never DVD that I still long for is Robot Carnival. That's Streamline, of course, not ADV, but it was a superb film for its time. It was also my first post-Robotech introduction to anime. It already has a dub, there's not much dialogue to sub...the only issues it has is that 1) it's old, 2) it's a collection of short films, and 3) those short films are of varied quality. While it's relatively easy to find a good copy out in the ether of the Internet, I would definitely buy a copy on DVD. In fact, it's one of the few films I'd purchase in a deluxe edition.

I thought this was released but its just extremely rare.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
man, all this anime is so 90's it makes me want to put on a black leather trench coat and go rollerblading
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4