• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Original 1973 Cutey Honey TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Damn right I'm buying this, been asking for this since they got Lupin part 1. Very Happy
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Man, Discotek is awesome. I was talking with a friend about the original series just the other day, and here Discotek goes and announces a release. Freakin' sweet.

Last edited by Kikaioh on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I wish it was possible (or acceptable) to leave a blank post, because words cannot express how awesome this is.

I wonder if they can get Re as well since apparently no other licensor thinks it's worth a shot. Which is ridiculous.

Flash would be awesome as well since I haven't been able to find completed fansubs for it.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH CUTEY HONEY!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Good choice, Cutey Honey is lots of Go Nagai bombast.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool but im still waiting for them to pick up E.Y.E.S. of Mars
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Discotek keeps getting classics. I wonder if they could pick up the 1974 original Space Battleship Yamato. That would be sweet.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Wow, Discotek keeps getting classics. I wonder if they could pick up the 1974 original Space Battleship Yamato. That would be sweet.

Have whatever licenses which allowed the Star Blazers version to be put together lapsed?
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if the original would ever get a release here(digital or physical) after remembering the live & "new" versions ADV & Bandai released here.

Glad to see that it's finally going to get a legit release here.
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Have whatever licenses which allowed the Star Blazers version to be put together lapsed?

Unless if Discotek starts a partnership with Voyager Entertainment, I doubt that will ever happen. Tim Eldred once mentioned that Voyager has been trying to gets the rights for years.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, this and Mazinger Z is making this day interesting. Man, Discotek is on the roll (along with Right Stuf getting Rose of Versailles). Discotek should pick up more old school anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Ted_the_bear2001 wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Unless if Discotek starts a partnership with Voyager Entertainment, I doubt that will ever happen. Tim Eldred once mentioned that Voyager has been trying to gets the rights for years.

Voyager confirmed on Facebook afew weeks ago that Star Blazers and Space Battleship Yamato were treated as completely seperate licenses, so if another company wanted to pick up just the Japanese version they would probably be able to. However, I doubt Discotek (or anyone else) even realizes this.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Whoa, this and Mazinger Z is making this day interesting. Man, Discotek is on the roll (along with Right Stuf getting Rose of Versailles). Discotek should pick up more old school anime.

I'm curious as to what they'll grab once the obvious big titles are grabbed up. It's hard to get bigger than Mazinger or Cutey Honey when you're talking early 70s.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, Nozomi's gonna need to step up their game. Discotek is becoming the go-to licensor for "anime we never thought would be seen stateside"
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Discotek, my man, is there any other way you could make me even happier? Actually, let me tell you what would. License rescue Dancouga and its OVAs, I'll just give you my bank account number. Sounds fair, don't you think? I am actually looking forward to hearing from Discotek now instead of the blitz of new licenses Sentai has been dropping, since Discotek is actually releasing stuff I want. Keep up the good work people. (And when is Shin vs. Neo coming out? I MUST KNOW.)
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Despite being an older show from the 1970s, unfortunately, it does contain nudity (I'm told it was one of the earliest TV anime series in Japan to be made that way), so I'm afraid I won't be picking this up. Just saying. OTOH, I'm also told that Cutey Honey Flash (which replaced the Sailor Moon anime in its timeslot) is a considerably toned down interpretation of the character (and one in which Honey is human), so if Discotek got that, I might pick that up.

Needless to say however, this is the show's first U.S. release of any kind. I wonder what else will be picked up?...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3