• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: The Last of Us

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Very good review Dave.

Core points I agree 100%
1. There's too spoiler[many enemies and conveniently placed ammo!] Seriously, its the only thing that kept drawing me out of the game's near-perfect atmosphere.

2. Stealth spoiler[is largely unnecessary]. Often it's fun, there it just never feels rewarding enough.

3. The typically "morally ambiguous" nature of the game is spot on as I never could pin down any theme-pointing melodrama or character/story stressing. Eventually, I likened the grizzly nature of the plot/story akin to Terrence Malick's Badlands - punctuated by somewhat empty leads doing randomly cruel deeds.
The Last of Us certainly does this better than anything else

4. The "gameplay-accenting-story and vice versa" is there but I veer on the slightly poor combat design side of the fence. I'm capable of enjoying it like how Spec Ops the Line did so last year but I dunno, here, it feels like NaughtyDog intentionally made fighting grueling beyond that purpose. The Line was still fun to play and watch.

5. Elle's character did come off as annoying when I first played because, primarily, we players don't see any other examples - spoiler[except for Sam], leaving her role in the story feel overblown.
And her growth felt very matter-of-fact - not helped by the plots spoiler[numerous timeskips], but during my 2nd playthrough - and whilst collecting everything - I enjoyed her role.

It's a very subtle game but The Last of Us is something I'd buy later on this year.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
GarnetStyle wrote:

How does this make them any less annoying or forced? There seems to be a trend in western gaming recently where they stick you with a girl to make you care about them and protect them like in Walking Dead or Bioshock but you really just don't care and it comes off as forced.

Because if the characters are useful, they are helpful in gameplay, and if they're interesting, then they are necessary for the plot. The story is about them as much as anyone, so as long as they don't get in the way when playing, they're worth having around. It's neither annoying nor forced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3