• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: HENNEKO Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
And Yokodere was already a pervert, he didn't need his buddies perversion, but he got an extra helping of it, making him desire to get rid of the facade that protected him from being looked down upon as a pervert.

And where is the evidence that he got his friend's perversion? I do not remember Yokodera wanting more perversion, only that he could express himself. And he was already extremely perverted, as seen by him joining the athletics club simply an as excuse to peek at the girls' swimming team.

zensunni wrote:
[EDIT] I just rewatched the section where Yokodere and Tsukiko figure out that Asuza has his facade. spoiler[He comments that after he called her flat chested in front of everyone, she didn't even get mad. "She's got to maintain her regal facade around others. But a facade that strong isn't normal." So it isn't suggesting that Asuza had NO ability to put up a front before the wish, but rather that she has an unnaturally strong facade now, causing her to not be able to say what she means, even if she wants to, in front of others.]

This ignores the belt which she had before he made his wish. And her facade had always been a problem.

zensunni wrote:
Different cats. The one on the hill swapped people's characteristics. That one was made by the Steel King in order to make up with her sister after a fight. It was not the actual god, but an icon of sorts. The cat god is able to grant any wish. That is the one that is active now. If you recall, the one on the hill's powers went away.

I had assumed that they were all the same cat, just in different bodies. But you may be correct. Still, when the wishing mechanics for the spoiler[second and third cats are completely different than the wishing mechanics already carefully established for the first cat, with no reason as to why, it seems very sloppy. I don't know why the cat on the hill would be weaker just because it was made by a human; it's still a magical being. Oh, and another thing. If there already was a cat in the storeroom then why did Tsukushi make another one?]

zensunni wrote:
spoiler[OK, you really didn't get it, did you. The cat got her expressions. "Stony Cat" is frequently translated as "Cat Who Doesn't Smile", as in stone faced, not made of stone. After Tsukiko and Yokodere's wishes, the cat's facial expressions began to change. Prior to that it always had the same, flat, smile free expression. After the Steel King makes her awkward confession and tells the cat to give back the expressions, Tsukiko gets back the meat bun that the cat took. Instead of eating the meat bun and regaining her expressions, she gives it to her sister, which is why the Steel King now has a tendency to have her emotions show on her face far to much.] It wasn't really that complicated... OK, it was, but in an absurd manner...

Ah, I forgot about the part with the spoiler[returning bun. As for Tsukushi getting the emotions, that sounds plausible.]
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

zensunni wrote:
Different cats. The one on the hill swapped people's characteristics. That one was made by the Steel King in order to make up with her sister after a fight. It was not the actual god, but an icon of sorts. The cat god is able to grant any wish. That is the one that is active now. If you recall, the one on the hill's powers went away.

I had assumed that they were all the same cat, just in different bodies. But you may be correct. Still, when the wishing mechanics for the spoiler[second and third cats are completely different than the wishing mechanics already carefully established for the first cat, with no reason as to why, it seems very sloppy. I don't know why the cat on the hill would be weaker just because it was made by a human; it's still a magical being. Oh, and another thing. If there already was a cat in the storeroom then why did Tsukushi make another one?]

I'm not so much of a fan for the anime so I may be mistaking info from the manga that did not make it to the anime, but spoiler[Tsukushi (the big sis) said that the big cat god has been with their family for generations. It doesn't really have any limit on what you can ask since the equivalent price will be from your lifespan.]

Regarding to your another thing, spoiler[The Tsutsukakushi sisters had a fight -> Tsukushi asked the original cat god to help her make up with her sister -> It gave her the wood & tools -> She made the mini one. -> etc -> They made up. The end.] This part definitely was there in the anime.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
And Yokodere was already a pervert, he didn't need his buddies perversion, but he got an extra helping of it, making him desire to get rid of the facade that protected him from being looked down upon as a pervert.

And where is the evidence that he got his friend's perversion? I do not remember Yokodera wanting more perversion, only that he could express himself. And he was already extremely perverted, as seen by him joining the athletics club simply an as excuse to peek at the girls' swimming team.

My bad. I'm remembering details from the Manga! spoiler[When he brings the Barbara-san pillow, he recalls that he and Ponta (or whatever his name is) bought it together but it wasn't what they expected. Ponta ended up keeping it and using it as his offering to the stony cat, then somehow it ended up in Yokodera's locker. ]
It is on page 22 of the first chapter in the manga page. I had incorporated that into my recollection of the anime. spoiler[In the anime it shows Ponta giving a different hugging pillow... ]
dtm42 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
[EDIT] I just rewatched the section where Yokodere and Tsukiko figure out that Asuza has his facade. spoiler[He comments that after he called her flat chested in front of everyone, she didn't even get mad. "She's got to maintain her regal facade around others. But a facade that strong isn't normal." So it isn't suggesting that Asuza had NO ability to put up a front before the wish, but rather that she has an unnaturally strong facade now, causing her to not be able to say what she means, even if she wants to, in front of others.]

This ignores the belt which she had before he made his wish. And her facade had always been a problem.

Asuza doesn't show up until after the wish, how do you know she already had the belt? spoiler[Her problem was that she had built this "Character" in order to avoid being hurt like she had been in middle school, but she needed the extra strong facade to maintain it, since she was already getting tired from working so much, etc. Hence she "needed" his facade and got it from the cat via the belt.]
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
ITT dtm calls out plot holes while missing heaps of shit, like normal.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
^
Not like normal.

But I won't deny that zensunni has cleared up a lot of things for me regarding this show. I've got a better understanding of it thanks to him.

zensunni wrote:
Asuza doesn't show up until after the wish, how do you know she already had the belt?

I just assumed that she would have noticed if a belt suddenly appeared around her neck. I know I would have.
nx6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
rahzel.rose wrote:
I found this show very cute and kind of refreshing in a way, in the beginning. But it's started to drag for me, and as much as I love Kaji, I just can't seem to get into it anymore.

I found it to be the opposite. It was cringingly bad for the first episode with Yokodera's masochistic dog-pandering to the tsundere snob Azusa, but I decided to see the next couple episodes at least before I dropped it and it got better for each of the next four episodes with the downright interesting developments caused by the cat god's creative interpretation of people's wishes.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
rahzel.rose wrote:
I found this show very cute and kind of refreshing in a way, in the beginning. But it's started to drag for me, and as much as I love Kaji, I just can't seem to get into it anymore.

I found it to be the opposite. It was cringingly bad for the first episode with Yokodera's masochistic dog-pandering to the tsundere snob Azusa, but I decided to see the next couple episodes at least before I dropped it and it got better for each of the next four episodes with the downright interesting developments caused by the cat god's creative interpretation of people's wishes.

LOL! Anybody that has ever played D&D or some other RPG with a good game-master and had the chance to use a "Wish" spell knows that you need to be very, very careful what you wish for and how you word it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2