• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Microsoft: Xbox One Will Not Restrict Used Games, Regions, Offline Games

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blindworm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
so, they could easily do all of this in the first place in practically a push of a button...why did they ever bother to try this at all then?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Ding Dong! The witch is dead!
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
It figures that they would go back on their word after the horrible word of mouth.

And here I thought that the XBone would only sell to the two most extreme ends, the epitome of casual gamers and the absolute most diehard XBox fans.

Last edited by Pokenatic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
andyseed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The biggest and fastest back pedal in the history of video games .
Hell maybe for anything for a company the size of MS .
qjackson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, talk about pressure.

blindworm wrote:
so, they could easily do all of this in the first place in practically a push of a button...why did they ever bother to try this at all then?

Probably to make the publishers happy and hope that this would put pressure on Sony and Nintendo to do the same thing in order not to lose publishers and/or developers.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The main problem now is the trust. They could easily wait a while until they've made a lot of sales to suddenly implement everything back in. Or even put these restrictions back in little by little. I was never a fan of Xbox, but I certainly had nothing against it and felt fine about it. Not now though, I would never trust them again and I will never just forget later that they attempted to do all of this in the first place. I will never be buying an Xbox One.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
blindworm wrote:

To see if they could get away with it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Get bent Microsoft. You burned any chance of me buying your system by even trying to implement this crap. The fact that you're backpedalling now is meaningless to me.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I knew this was going to happen at some point. The DRM, and mandatory 24 hour internet check is really pissing off long time Xbox gamers. Of course they removed the Used game restrictions and mandatory 24 hours internet check. There is still the issue of making Kinect mandatory for the Xbox One, and there's the ridiculous price for that console when the PS4 really topped it. I don't know if this will bring back Xbox fans back into Xbox One. But MS finally see the truth and destroy the ridiculous DRM on Xbox One.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
blindworm wrote:

To see if they could get away with it.

This is exactly it. Hubris.

Not that any of it matters: there's no way in Hell I'm buying a X-Bone. I don't want a next-gen Kinnect staring at me all the time and reporting what I'm doing and feeling (via the imaging algothrims) straight to the Internet and the arms of PRISM.

No thanks, Microsoft. If I do buy a new console, it'll be a PS4.
DukeNukem3DO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The Damage is already done Microsoft
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Should have never done it this way. They were trying to have their cake and eat it to by having these restrictions. If they were true to online being the future, then it should have started it that way with no physical media whatsoever. Wonder if the console is really region free like they say. No strings attached, please. Price and Kinect is still a bit of a problem, however.
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
This changes nothing. Whatever the reason for this change it isn't good for consumers. The result itself is great for consumers, but the reasons for it aren't so much.

If this is because pre-sales are less than expected then it's bad. They said that the X1 was a long term plan and wouldn't be judged off of early results. So either this was a straight up lie, in which case MS can't be trusted, or they changed their mind on their own policies, in which case the leadership there is really bad.

If this is because they got duped by Sony into thinking they were gonna do all this DRM themselves then, again, what leadership do they have there? Just going along with the competition because you think you can get away with it shows no strong leadership and a company focusing more on their pockets that the hand that feeds them.

I had a couple of other points to this but it's 1am and i'm real tired so forgot them but I hope I got my point across. All this change proves is that MS are clearly stupid (if they thought their policies would work out), lack proper leadership and direction at the company or are willing to abandon their own policies they defended to the point of actually insulting their own community (looking at you Don) in the hopes of bringing in more money.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Sony all the way. Cool
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It's still $100 more plus the restrictions on indie developers plus the fact that Sony's exclusives are generally more appealing to me that still put Sony way ahead of Microsoft for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8