• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tomohiro Katō Sentenced to Death for Akihabara Killings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Still don't believe in the death penalty for various reasons. Enforced shit beatings however I approve of, scars last much longer.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
I, personally, am not willing to take the chance of killing someone innocent (and hence, letting one guilty person stay free) in the name of harshness.

Freedom is not the issue. We are talking about punishment. Ergo, we are considering those who have already been convicted, wrongfully or otherwise. In that case, the alternative to the death penalty is not freedom. It is life imprisonment. Again, I question why you'd be perfectly willing to risk locking an innocent person away for life but not risking killing them.
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The article is a bit confusing.

On the top it says "Katō convicted for killing 10, injuring 7 in hit-and-run, stabbings in Tokyo in 2008", but the article reads "On Thursday, the Tokyo District Court sentenced 28-year-old Tomohiro Katō to death for killing seven and injuring 10 in a hit-and-run and stabbing rampage in Tokyo's otaku shopping district of Akihabara (Akiba) in 2008".

Which is it? Did he kill 10 and injure 7, or was it the opposite?

egoist wrote:

Jesus already paid for our sins. Technically we're all innocent.

Prove Jesus existed, then maybe thats a valid argument. Religion and Law are seperate, thats how it has to be, because by default people who hold a religion have biased views and opinions, and cannot accurately judge someone solely based on innocence or guilt.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Yet even though we don't have the death penalty, some of these people have had their lives destroyed by being left to rot in prison for up to 26 years. Sure, we can let them out now but we can hardly give them back all that time

The government can give them million$$ though for restitution. I'm just sayin'.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
egoist wrote:

Jesus already paid for our sins. Technically we're all innocent.

Prove Jesus existed, then maybe thats a valid argument. Religion and Law are seperate, thats how it has to be, because by default people who hold a religion have biased views and opinions, and cannot accurately judge someone solely based on innocence or guilt.
Egoist is kind of a joker, I honestly am not sure how to read him sometimes but if there was a tongue-in-cheek smiley I think he would have used it next to that statement.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
This waste of human meat? Meh, sharpen some fast growing bamboo and stake him out over it. I hear that works well and it's cheap.

And here I thought you would be all for forgiveness. And it's not like he killed anyone you personally know.

Are there criminals who deserve to be killed? In my opinion, yes. We had a case in New Zealand not too long ago where a baby girl was beaten to death, the force of the blows so strong her blood ended up on the ceiling. The guy who killed her deserves nothing less than a long and agonising death.

HOWEVER. This Akihabara guy was (and almost certainly still is) obviously mentally deranged. I really cannot be so sure that I support the execution of such people. They should never be released from an asylum, but execution seems an unfairly harsh punishment.
Rinnon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
boznia wrote:
Our overflowing prisons have more to do with strict anti-drug laws than murders.

Of course. We all love to have them druggies living next door rather than prisons. Know a good solution you could pass on to your president? Build a druggie state/island, legalize drugs, but restrict it to only government officials and card payments (to avoid corruption).

It's rarely the druggies and more often the drug dealers/trafficers that end up in prison. At least, that's how it works here in Vancouver (Canada). The druggies remain on the streets, the dealers and trafficers are replaced immediately, and the prisons continue to fill up. Almost anything would be more effective than this.
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Not even so much as a thank you for pointing out such a dubious error?

For shame, ANN. Very Happy
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
I, personally, am not willing to take the chance of killing someone innocent (and hence, letting one guilty person stay free) in the name of harshness.

Freedom is not the issue. We are talking about punishment. Ergo, we are considering those who have already been convicted, wrongfully or otherwise. In that case, the alternative to the death penalty is not freedom. It is life imprisonment. Again, I question why you'd be perfectly willing to risk locking an innocent person away for life but not risking killing them.

Killing people and locking them up are very, very different things. As horrible as wrongful imprisonment can be, there is still a chance at justice, through release and compensation.

You can't do that with dead people.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
Killing people and locking them up are very, very different things. As horrible as wrongful imprisonment can be, there is still a chance at justice, through release and compensation.

Look, we can agree to disagree about the death penalty itself but don't try to sell me on this line of 'there's a chance' reasoning. Yes, there is a chance. Yet many who are wrongfully convicted are not ever released or compensated. So while there may be a chance at justice in any individual case, overall you're still choosing to accept that we'll punish some innocent people as well. That's where this whole thing seems like a cop out to me. People are horrified by the prospect of an innocent person being wrongfully punished and hey, fair enough. It is horrifying. Clinging to this small chance for justice does not mean there will be justice though. In the end, whether it's life imprisonment or the death penalty, you're going to end up punishing innocent people. You have to accept that.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

Look, we can agree to disagree about the death penalty itself but don't try to sell me on this line of 'there's a chance' reasoning. Yes, there is a chance. Yet many who are wrongfully convicted are not ever released or compensated. So while there may be a chance at justice in any individual case, overall you're still choosing to accept that we'll punish some innocent people as well. That's where this whole thing seems like a cop out to me. People are horrified by the prospect of an innocent person being wrongfully punished and hey, fair enough. It is horrifying. Clinging to this small chance for justice does not mean there will be justice though. In the end, whether it's life imprisonment or the death penalty, you're going to end up punishing innocent people. You have to accept that.

Here you imply that because life in prison is horrible and killing someone is horrible they are somehow equivalent. They are not.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
Here you imply that because life in prison is horrible and killing someone is horrible they are somehow equivalent. They are not.

I absolutely did no such thing. What I said is that your reasoning, which rejects the death penalty on the grounds that it will result in the innocent being punished, is flawed. Life imprisonment will also result in the innocent being punished. (Perhaps in some cases it won't if their conviction is overturned but in the bulk of cases their conviction won't ever be overturned and so they will still be punished unjustly). Hence, in either case you will end up punishing some innocent people. It may be a harsher penalty with the death penalty, but then life imprisonment is quite harsh (although not as harsh) as well. Hence, I don't think you've supported the black and white distinction you're attempting to draw.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It may be a harsher penalty with the death penalty, but then life imprisonment is quite harsh (although not as harsh) as well.

Yea of course, there's only such a small difference between the two, between life and death, might as well ignore it x_x
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
It may be a harsher penalty with the death penalty, but then life imprisonment is quite harsh (although not as harsh) as well.

Yea of course, there's only such a small difference between the two, between life and death, might as well ignore it x_x

What maaya said.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
maaya wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

What maaya said.

Let me ask you something: Do you understand the difference between something being fundamentally different versus it being incrementally (albeit significantly) worse? Because that's the distinction I'm drawing here. I don't really think you're getting that though since twice now you've just fallen back on insisting that I view the two as the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4