• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would an anime opening affect the rating you give?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would an anime opening affect the rating you give?
perhaps...
23%
 23%  [ 53 ]
no
38%
 38%  [ 86 ]
yes
26%
 26%  [ 58 ]
that makes no sense
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 223

egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Outstanding openings can affect the score to +1, while awful ones won't affect it at all.

I could also ask whether it'd improve your watching experience, but I think that's quite obvious.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Nope.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Openings 1 and 3 are two of my favorite anime openings of all time, but that doesn't keep from thinking the show itself is still bleh.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
No, even the best or worst OPs don't affect my enjoyment of the story and/or characters enough to affect my opinion of the show on the whole.
arielifeoma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
For me, openings and endings are part of the production. As with any part (like plot, character development, voice acting, art) it doesn't make or break an anime but it adds or detracts from it. If an anime can get me excited to watch in the opening (because of how nice the song and animation are, especially if they tell a little story within themselves) and sad to see it go in the ending (for the same reasons), I think that should be reflected in the rating. Especially since I listen to soundtracks in my stereo. On the other hand, if I dread an opening/ending and feel like they just wasted 4 minutes of my life or forced me to expend energy in looking for a version that I can click to avoid this fate, I'll let that be known in the rating as well. If I wrote reviews and I felt like a kill opening set me up for what turned out to be a terribad show, I'd mention that too. I personally prefer ratings, reviews and recommendations that look at the entire production, including the bits at the end and beginning that others may see as only filler.
chachaboru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
yes, somehow i get motivated to watch the anime when the opening is awesome.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
No. The best example of this is Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (TV). It has an awesome opening, but but the plot, characters and storytelling etc. plumb the nethermost depths of boredom and mediocrity.
Reiizm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Most likely/Yes.
An Opening is a part of the content of an anime, so it should be judged. (But fairly)
This is how it works for me: Let's say I'm rating an anime out of 5.

If the opening is so good it makes me watch it with every new episode, It adds a .5 to the rating.

If I like the opening but not enough to NOT skip it and get right to the show, I don't count it.

If the opening is truly unlikable, I reduce .5

Even if the anime is terrible but the opening is amazing, I'll still give them the .5 as if saying "points for trying Wink "
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I have to say yes. There are times where a show either starts off in a way that doesn't appeal to me, or the show starts to flag as it goes on, and in both cases a cool song can keep me watching, and most times I'm better for it. There are also those rare moments where I see an awesome intro and I know the show is going to be great just on that. When a show does not have at least a catchy opening to me, I find it very hard to get into it. It took dedication to get into Blue Drop, for example, whereas the S2 Strawberry Panic song was reason enough to watch the whole show IMO.

Interestingly, as I've found most all midpoint show OP changes to be bad, I do tend to enjoy a show less after that switch. There are rare exceptions, like Strawberry Panic's switch, but all in all I'd wish that the normal 24-26 episode shows would lock in one theme song.

Also, I've noticed people without their original theme songs (Speed Grapher, Eden of the East) find the show harder to get into and rate it lower. I understand this, as without railing against the Oasis song I wouldn't have been as enthused with watching the next ep of EotE, nor would I have watched Speed Grapher if the only OP had been the Funimation version. (The crappy 2nd op video--minus the Girls on Film printed lyrics--with the horrible Shutter Speed BGM as the song)
underlock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
No. The best example of this is Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (TV).

Hardly best example. What I proposed gets a bit more complicated if the gap in quality is so huge between the opening and the series itself, which is the case with Lodoss War. Now if you take a look at Code Geass S1 OP1, Death Note's OPs and EDs, Durarara's OP1, Berserk OP1, etc. etc., those are better examples.
gundam83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter whether the opening is awesome or not,if the characters and story suck then everything sucks.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't matter if I don't like the OP. I mean the Lucky Star OP is one of the worst I have ever heard, but I still love the show regardless.

EDIT:

It doesn't really matter, but since I do review shows on the side it could end up as a con on the review, but it won't really change the score of the show.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Sat May 21, 2011 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes. Outstanding openings can affect the score to +1, while awful ones won't affect it at all.

I feel exactly the same way! If the opening sucks, I just skip it and that's that. If it's amazing, it definitely tips the scale up if Im teetering on what to rate it. But if the opening is lame, it doesn't directly affect the show's score.
Muggie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say yes. Like egoist said, a really good opening will make me like the show a bit more but a bad opening wont affect my view on the show. A good show is a good show. Its about the plot and characters that matter in my opinion.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
No, that makes no sense to me. I can enjoy an OP but hate the show (case in point, Eden of the East) and just go on to enjoy the OP without suffering through the show, but I can also hate an OP and like the show (case in point Shingu, the op sounds like stolen elevator music) and while I can wish that it had a better OP, it doesn't change my opinion that the show itself is still good. Now for good show w/ good opening, it means I can both enjoy the show and enjoy the OP, and for bad and bad, well the OP didn't make think the show was any worse than it already was.
Citrus Fruit

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I think that the intro of an anime is a completely separate category when it comes to reviewing or giving my thoughts on an anime. This is because some intros have absolutely nothing to do with the anime they are introducing (This mostly applies to Bleach and Naruto), some change constantly (Bakemonogatari), and some anime simply don't have intros.

Also, i just felt i should add, some intros have made me more weepy than the actual show (Ano Hana, Clannad)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4