• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How many anime conventions per year do you go to?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many per year?
Spambots don't go to cons.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Zero.
48%
 48%  [ 35 ]
One.
26%
 26%  [ 19 ]
Two.
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Three.
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Four.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Five or More.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 72

P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
And is your particular locale the reason for that number?

Oops, I forgot to click update for the last option, "Five or more."
Oh well if you attend 5 or more just select "Four."

[edit: I added "5 or more" -t]
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
I go to 2 anime cons, but I go to more conventions total.

My regular anime cons are Fanime and Anime Expo.

I also go to Comic-con, and if possible, Wondercon. I'd love to go to APE one year, but haven't made it there yet. Once I went to Blizzcon, but that is too expensive for what I got out of it (2 day con, only one company, no dealer-type room, cost the same as a 4 day pass to SDCC).

And yes, location is a factor (SoCal). The only reason I still go to Fanime every year is because this is a tradition left over from my friends' college days (not my college days; I'm older than my friends). It has now become an excuse to get together annually and keep in touch. I was able to go to Wondercon this year because it was temporarily moved to Anaheim due to renovations of its usual spot in San Francisco.

I know there are smaller anime and comic cons around here, but haven't been to any yet. I tend to like the bigger cons.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Technically, there's no anime convention in Taiwan, and just one per year in Japan (Tokyo Anime Fair). However if you take all dōjinshi conventions into account then I visit more than a dozen a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
For the past 4 years or so, I've only gone to one con: Otakon. It's mostly because I live so close I can just take the light rail down and don't even need to get a hotel. For living about a 5 minute drive from the city lines, Otakon is really the only time I ever go into the city (although the one comic shop I go to barely over the line semi-counts I guess). Granted, I can't haul all my manga back to my room, I have to haul it around the whole day (and damn does that get tiring cus I get way too much of it, accursed cheap dealer's room!) but it also only costs around $10 to take the light rail down and back for the whole weekend. And since I'm not paying for a hotel, I can get my badge on Thursday and have friends over for the con and play Smash Bros all night and keep my kitteh close to me. And have more money for other fun stuff!

I might go to Anime Boston in the future though, since my uncle has a condo in Boston I could crash at for free. As you can tell, being cheap about the hotels is rather important to me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty much outside the demographic to attend such events. There is nothing I'm aware of less than four hours drive from here in any case.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Locale is the determining factor in how many conventions I go to. I only day-trip to conventions. Therefore, they must be within reasonable driving distance. Two conventions fit that requirement, and those are the ones I attend.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've gone to two in my life, that averages out close enough to zero.
Is it because of my location?
Slightly.
AnimeMKE (Anime Milwaukee) is still in it's growing stages, it's moved from tiny venues about ten years ago, to the UW-Milwaukee campus for a few years (where I went once) to the city's main convention center for the last couple (where I went this year). And to me the program isn't really the best- scheduled the same weekend as Katsucon it only garnered a couple non dub VA guests, so panels often failed to interest me. Video rooms were standard already licensed stuff and even featured big Crunchyroll viewing blocks (I can watch that at home, ya know).

But it's also the general fact that I'm too lazy to travel to other local cons that may be bigger (in Chicago) and feel its mainly a "kids" thing now (too bad I missed them when I was a "kid"). I feel a bit skeevy looking at the High school girls and young college co-eds in their skimpy cosplay and have about as much interest in "raves" as a nail to the gut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Take your pick.....

• This here spambot is too disorganized to plan far enough in advance to attend any sort of convention!
  • This here spambot would never deign to attend a convention that would lower its standards enough to let a spambot attend!
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't go to any. There are no significant ones within cheap travelling distance of me, as I live about 400 miles from London, and that's where most of them happen. There are a few smaller ones which are slightly nearer, but I've not made it to any of them yet.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
It's too possible for me to attend ColossalCon every year (I live literally just down the road from its annual venue), however the tourist season around here is TERRIBLE when it occurs. As a result, it just blends in with everything else that those overtly happy-go-lucky and mindless people get magnetized to around here. I barely care about going to Cedar Point anymore, unfortunately... ;;>.>
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
I only attend 1. It seems silly I don't attend the convention in my own state, or any in nearby states, but I go to a convention that I have to fly to get to, and thus require the additional expense of a hotel room. The convention in question is Anime Expo. My reasoning is that I get far more out of this convention in a single weekend than I would get out of attending several nearby conventions. Plus attending multiple conventions a year is not easy given certain circumstances. And I truly enjoy Expo. I have for every one I've gone to.
moonie92

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I make it to one every year. It's Anime Matsuri in the Woodlands, Texas (please don't stalk me now Razz)

I've gone for two years now and I enjoy it very much. I don't get a hotel room because I am a ten minute drive away from the con. It's inconvenient to not have a hotel room to drag back all my DVD's and assorted plushies, but it is much much cheaper. The con is a medium sized con with a decent sized dealers room and a few cool panels. This year Flow came in and performed, and I think that bands a big deal, I really have no idea with Japanese music...
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
This year Flow came in and performed, and I think that bands a big deal, I really have no idea with Japanese music...

Laughing First impressions tell me you're a person with much modesty Wink
moonie92

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I guess they are a big deal... I really know zip about Japanese music. Cool
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 am Reply with quote
I go to about 50. All in my imagination.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2