• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Poll - Manga Over Saturation

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised the majority of people answering are still fairly optimistic about the market. Guess we'll have to wait 'til '06. ^_-
As for myself, I do feel it's getting oversaturated. The market reached the tipping point last year, but I think there are a number of titles getting unnoticed right now, due to bad art meant to cash in on the manga look, mediocre and gimmicky titles meant to appeal to fans of a more successful series, and unoriginal knock-offs. (Although the anime market seems to suffer more from the latter problem ATM.) Of course, the positive is the manga market's maturing better than I expected, and some people are taking chances on non-fantasy titles, or at least genre titles for older readers. I'm not sure how it'll go from there, though.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm kind of surprised the majority of people answering are still fairly optimistic about the market.

Well, most people are looking at it strictly from the consumer's point of view. For the consumer, more variety is better. That says nothing as to whether the industry can sustain such a large variety.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, lately i've been sticking to established series than finding new junk to spend money on. I still buy the monthly Rurouni Kenshin, and whenever the other series comes out with their managa (5 at last count), I buy that as well.

The newer stuff really doesn't appeal to me. The last "new" eries that I fell into was Remote.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm kind of surprised the majority of people answering are still fairly optimistic about the market.

one3rd wrote:
Well, most people are looking at it strictly from the consumer's point of view. For the consumer, more variety is better. That says nothing as to whether the industry can sustain such a large variety.

Yeah, I very specificly mentionned "from a consumer point of view." The reason for this is, simply that I wanted to know how buyers felt. Whether or not the market is oversaturated from a financial / market point of view is a question for those who are involved in that market and have a better understanding of the finances involved than the average fan.

In short, this was a question about "what fans want" as opposed to a question about what can reasonably be delivered to them.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Well as a consumer, I'm also disappointed that there's less emphasis placed on prompt distribution. When Diamond says a certain title should be in a certain week, I expect it to be out that week. Dark Horse, Del Rey, and Tokyopop can generally get their manga out on time, so what's the hold-up at Viz? I have to go to an average of 3-4 stores to find what I'm looking for, even in the case of SJ titles, and that makes me wonder if the company's really organized enough to effectively handle its increasing library. Not being able to meet release dates-as a poster in the Monster thread griped-is almost as detrimental to your bottom line as dumping a bunch of so-so titles on a given day.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
While the market is definitally over saturated, I think it's at least moving in the right direction when compared to 2004. Companies are at seem to be publishing higher quality stuff that last years "flood" tactics (still don't know about Viz), and people are also seeing the advantages of specializing in markets like yaoi rather than trying to pump out 10 diffrent titles each week. More should be done, but at least it's beginning to move in the right direction and away from the "nothing can stop us" attitude so many people had last year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1