• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Space Brothers Episodes 39-51 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
repetitive, manipulative score.

And it still gets me every time, lol.

The only part of this show I really didn't like was the 3-weeks-straight of recap episodes. That was frustrating.

I actually like the training because that was basically the whole point of following Mutta and his journey to become an astronaut in the first place.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The criticism I'd weigh above all, including the repetitive score (it wouldn't be so bad if there were just three different pieces of music - but they're all remixes of the same piece in the first place), would be the pacing. It doesn't bother me that much, but how finely it skirts with losing my attention in spite of its truly excellent characters and story is a testament to how slow and plodding the pacing is.

I love the flashes of comedic visuals. Mutta's afro leaping around happens around twice in a dozen episodes, and each time it's hilarious. Compared to this, in YuruYuri a character's trademark hair buns occasionally leap off her head before returning to express surprise. This was hilarious the first time it happened, but it appears so often in the manga and second season of the anime that it's lost its effectiveness. Which is a shame, because it's a wonderful visual metaphor. Mutta's still gets me.

Hibito in "Oxygen Trouble!" was definitely one of the highlights of the show so far. I wish it had taken, like, maybe two-thirds as long, but it was still excellent.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
Quote:
repetitive, manipulative score.

And it still gets me every time, lol.

As a composer myself, I'd really like to know what qualifies a sound track as being manipulative... If he means it's evocative every time, then that's hardly a negative.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote
^
It's not being evocative so much as being simple Pavlovian conditioning.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
It's not being evocative so much as being simple Pavlovian conditioning.

As is the majority of film, TV, and advertisement music, that's my point. Yes, it's more obvious because of its repetitiveness in the case of Space Brothers, but the fundamental principle of applied music is that it's either meant to strengthen or imply the emotional underpinning of the visuals.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
^
It has the opposite effect if it tries to invoke a emotion that isn't there or that isn't as strong as what was felt the first few times the audience heard the music. And it certainly causes irritation when it's so overused and repetitive that it causes feelings of wanting to strangle the production staff.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree, it's just tiresome after the 180th time, at least, since we hear it multiple times every single episode without fail. Like, FFS, GuP had a major theme but like 7 different variations on it, and that's only a 12 episode show. It just comes off as lazy scoring to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1