• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Summer 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
See above re noitaminA. I'm not about to count shows.

If you're asking about my reference to economic factors, saying that producers become less willing to tolerate experimentation when demand is weak is hardly controversial. Hollywood movies have followed a similar trajectory. And economic theory argues for the proposition as well.

If you want to argue the premise, then argue the premise.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
See above re noitaminA. I'm not about to count shows.

If you're asking about my reference to economic factors, saying that producers become less willing to tolerate experimentation when demand is weak is hardly controversial. Hollywood movies have followed a similar trajectory. And economic theory argues for the proposition as well.

If you want to argue the premise, then argue the premise.

Well no if you are going to make an assertion which you claim is backed by hard data, I expect you to back it with hard data.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Man, kinda jonesing for the preview guide now that Gifu Dodo!! has aired. must... mock.... necks...and... frame... rate. I hope some reviews can get up before Anime Expo. A busy week for ANN staff.

Should get underway sometime later today (towards evening is my guess), as previews of the first couple of series are starting to filter in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'll look forward to High School DxD New to air soon. Given the characters, there are two new ones from the LN and I can't wait to see them in action!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Small error for the DxD New spotlight

In the cast section Xenovia's VA is Risa Taneda

animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2013/summer/high-school-dxd-new#cast

but then for the character section it incorrectly says Shizuka Itou as the voice of Xenovia

animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2013/summer/high-school-dxd-new#chars
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I've seen many arguments here about the 80's/90's versus today. I'll just observe that my original comment about the decline of adult characters was not comparing 2013 to 1986 or 1996, but 2006. Anime began to narrow around 2009-2010 in the wake of the recession. Production committees were less willing to experiment in a period of economic contraction and focused on marketing to their most reliable and most lucrative target market. There are some glimmers of recovery in the Japanese economy; maybe that will help provide the basis for a broadening of anime productions in the future.

[citation needed]

Ah. The battle cry of internet bullies everywhere.

I recall yuna49's points being discussed on quite a few of the 2009-20010 ANNCasts that featured industry guests. So if you [need citation] all that badly, you can just go listen to those.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Finally a worthwhile wholesome crossdresser character.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I've seen many arguments here about the 80's/90's versus today. I'll just observe that my original comment about the decline of adult characters was not comparing 2013 to 1986 or 1996, but 2006. Anime began to narrow around 2009-2010 in the wake of the recession. Production committees were less willing to experiment in a period of economic contraction and focused on marketing to their most reliable and most lucrative target market. There are some glimmers of recovery in the Japanese economy; maybe that will help provide the basis for a broadening of anime productions in the future.

[citation needed]

Ah. The battle cry of internet bullies everywhere.

I recall yuna49's points being discussed on quite a few of the 2009-20010 ANNCasts that featured industry guests. So if you [need citation] all that badly, you can just go listen to those.

Yeah, because it is up to the READER of someone's claim to find the evidence that backs up that claim (that makes sense). Rolling Eyes

Seriously, if you are going to make a significant argument, you better have the specific sources that support it (it is hearsay otherwise (1st rule of research)).
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Yeah, because it is up to the READER of someone's claim to find the evidence that backs up that claim (that makes sense). Rolling Eyes

Seriously, if you are going to make a significant argument, you better have the specific sources that support it (it is hearsay otherwise (1st rule of research)).

I don't think you are worth the time it would take, that is why I won't. Do it yourself, if it's that important to you. Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
We can debate the merits, quality and diversity of anime across different periods. But it's a pretty well established fact that there was a huge economic boom in the anime industry during the early 2000s as a result of a string of super hits in North America that drove licensing prices through the roof. But by 2006 the market became flooded, the western industry collapsed, and the quantity of anime produced fell rapidly for the next several years. Of course, we've made positive progress the last couple years.

This thread has some further details and links if people are really still in doubt.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1766436&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It's just me or WataMote will become the Anti-Lucky Star?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The only connection I can see is that both the main characters are female otaku. Of course, they are complete opposites--Konata seems to be mostly well-adjusted and just happens to be a hardcore Otaku, Tomoko...isn't.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Konata is an idealistic fantasy, Kuroki is the reality. She's disgusting, anxious, social poison, and not really a good person at heart. Guess that makes her so endearing.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Konata is an idealistic fantasy, Kuroki is the reality. She's disgusting, anxious, social poison, and not really a good person at heart. Guess that makes her so endearing.

That's why I like her in all honesty, she is realistic character portrayal. Hell I act like her most of the time when i have to deal with people in real life, "yes i'm a horribly socially awkward person". I'm just thankful for the internet, I would not have any social interaction with out it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, Generic Cuteness means that Kuroki is STILL kinda cute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10